What is the GB staff doing with their time?

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By fattony12000

@InternetDetective said:

@Fattony12000 said:

No Caption Provided

I've never seen such an acute case of hoverhands before.

Hoverhands.

Closepenis.

BrainSonata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By BrainSonata

Someone post that "How to make a Monday" time lapse video that shows just how long it takes to make ONE video. I'd do it if I wasn't on my iPad.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#53  Edited By Hunter5024

The last month or so feels like it would've been a great time for an endurance run content wise. But I'm sure they were pretty busy with behind the scenes stuff.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#54  Edited By Gabriel

Are there enough movies yet for a new season of TANG?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3
deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

@Frustration said:

Someone post that "How to make a Monday" time lapse video that shows just how long it takes to make ONE video. I'd do it if I wasn't on my iPad.

I know the video guys are constantly at work, along with Dave and the website builder dudes, but I'm more curious about Jeff, Ryan, etc.

Also, "I Love Mondays" used to be a very edit-heavy, time consuming thing. Now it's not. So...what's going on?

BrainSonata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By BrainSonata
@Rmack Yeah I see your point, ILM has become "Someone film this on your phone" I guess.

It's always been something I've thought but put at the back of my mind.

Back when the guys were in the original "Office" there was a lot more goofy stuff, weird mailbags and just random uploads. I guess we all kind of miss that but the site is growing and so is their sense of professionalism. It's the natural order.
jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By jozzy

@Rmack said:

@Frustration said:

I know the video guys are constantly at work, along with Dave and the website builder dudes, but I'm more curious about Jeff, Ryan, etc.

Also, "I Love Mondays" used to be a very edit-heavy, time consuming thing. Now it's not. So...what's going on?

Yeah, I don't think anyone is wondering what Vinny, Dave and Drew are doing all day. I seem to recall Brad does a lot of the behind the scene planning, and Jeff is more hands-on with management and gamespot and the new website. What Ryan does exactly is the biggest mystery to me, probably planning stuff for the BLLSL?

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#58  Edited By tourgen

Who knows. As long as I get bombcasts and an occasional un-planned, off-the-wall video event I'm good. TANGs, old games, endurance runs.

They can do whatever they want. It's their site. When renewal comes around I'll decide if it lines up with I want still and go from there.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#59  Edited By Sooty

@mekon said:

That eats time. Then you have to learn the story basics, and the controls

What do you mean? Half the time they go into a quick look with no idea about how the game plays.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Clonedzero

@ZeForgotten said:

Stuff takes time, people think(not saying you think this) that throwing out a video is super easy. It's not, it's really not, also, everyone have drinking problems thanks to the Mods, I hear.

its really not as hard as they make it out to be though. yes its not super easy. but its not that hard either. don't tell people its super hard to put up a 30 minute unedited gameplay video with voice over and a 4 second intro thing..

its kind of annoying to constantly hear them complain about how "its so hard guys!" when you actually know the process of taking videos, editing them slightly and uploading them. recording the quicklook should take longer than editing and uploading combined.

seriously for how awesome the GB crews jobs are. they complain more than ANYONE i know, and i know alot of people who work retail.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#61  Edited By Gabriel

LOL they could always do an endurance run.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Canteu

You know they run a wiki right?

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Clonedzero

@Canteu said:

you know the entire point of a wiki is to be almost entirely based on the community writing the pages, right?

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Canteu

@Clonedzero: You know they still curate and edit the wiki they run right?

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#65  Edited By spankingaddict

I would LOVE to know what Ryan does.

just sayin ...

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Clonedzero

@Canteu said:

@Clonedzero: You know they still curate and edit the wiki they run right?

you know they arent the only ones who work there, right?

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Bocam

@Canteu: No they really don't. I think only Jeff edits stuff on the Wiki regularly

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Canteu

@Clonedzero: You know I'm just trying to think or something that they do during their work hours, as per the original question, right?

Don't be so defensive guy.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#69  Edited By NMC2008

They're crusin the world makin fancy films and eating sexy hamburgers from Canada.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Clonedzero

@Canteu: not being defensive. just saying is all. don't claim being are being defensive or hostile when they clearly aren't, its kinda insulting.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Bocam

@spankingaddict said:

I would LOVE to know what Ryan does.

just sayin ...

Being Sexy...

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Canteu

@Clonedzero: Condescension is a form of hostility, and hostility over the internet is usually a form of defence. You could have said "The wiki is mostly ran by the community, so this probably doesn't take up much of their time." instead. I would have got your point, and agreed with you as you are correct. Instead you were condescending, leaving me to reply in turn as I don't like being treated like an idiot.

Now let's hug and be cool with one another.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Clonedzero

@Canteu: *hugs*

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@Canteu said:

Also making a new site from scratch too. Stuff takes time. I know people are mad about their membership fees, but come on, it's a game drought and they're re doing everything.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Jimbo

@BraveToaster said:

@RazielCuts said:

Doesn't this get asked every month or so?

Yeah.

They're still working on the answer - come back in 18 months.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Hey guys, I work in government procurement, so naturally the 8 - 10 hours I spend at work are solely spent procuring shit, with absolutely no time at all for meetings, planning, reports, answering emails and phone calls, and the zillion other things required by my job for me to be considered to be doing it well by my government overlords.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By BrockNRolla

@Jimbo said:

@BraveToaster said:

@RazielCuts said:

Yeah.

Of all the snarky comments made thus far, this one has been my favorite.

SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By SoothsayerGB

When you sit down to play a game, a new game, that you are really interested in. How long to you play it for?

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Clonedzero

@SoothsayerGB said:

When you sit down to play a game, a new game, that you are really interested in. How long to you play it for?

are you suggesting they're super enthralled with some new game that just came out? i'd love to hear what game they're so enthralled with lol

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Jimbo
@BrockNRolla

@Jimbo said:

@BraveToaster said:

@RazielCuts said:

Yeah.

Of all the snarky comments made thus far, this one has been my favorite.

I've had a lot of practice.
PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#81  Edited By PixelPrinny

I definitely see where OP is coming from and there's a particularly interesting trend going on with the interwebs right now where one-person-teams can produce a shitload of content on their own and upload it to, say, Youtube while more structured groups, such as Giant Bomb seem to produce less content.

This weird quandary pops up and you ask yourself, "If someone like TotalBiscuit can produce 2-3 videos a day, how come Giant Bomb can't? His crew consists of 4 people handling PR and what not, but he does the brunt of the work. GB has dedicated video duders and website duders... sooo what are their frontmen doing?"

I certainly can't provide an answer, nor am I trying to say that Giant Bomb is slacking off. Obviously there are very different circumstances for each person or group working in the field. What I'm saying is that I think seeing this more and more apparent dichotomy between content publishers is a primary driving force in what is making many of us wonder, "So where's the content?" Or maybe it's just me *shrugs*

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#82  Edited By laserbolts

I've read the same types of threads quite often for so long now that I just accept that giantbomb.com is just a site that is light on content. I expect nothing more at this point. Not hating on the site I just don't expect more effort than what is put into it. Love the work they do manage to do though.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By BrockNRolla

@PixelPrinny: I think that's a great point and I think that's exactly where my confusion comes from. A talented group of vets like this seem like they should be putting out more content, but maybe that logic doesn't fly.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Scooper

Lazyness.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I think the OP's question is totally fair. It's why I am not a subscriber. I've been a big fan of all these guys since Gamespot but sometimes like recently there is a lack of content here. There are some things subscriber wise I wish I could see but I might just pick up a month and catch up on that stuff that I've missed.

Other wise, I'm good.

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

Hey guys, I work in government procurement, so naturally the 8 - 10 hours I spend at work are solely spent procuring shit, with absolutely no time at all for meetings, planning, reports, answering emails and phone calls, and the zillion other things required by my job for me to be considered to be doing it well by my government overlords.

I find this post hilarious. I also work for the government in an office job and if your private business is run as inefficiently as the federal government you probably would have gone out of business years ago. They don't have to go through the bullshit you do in a fed job.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

@rebgav said:

@Gabriel said:

Are there enough movies yet for a new season of TANG?

Remember when Ryan was talking about having a whole season of TANG ready to go? I don't think that feature is coming back.

Didn't it just end out of nowhere too? It was all "Tune in next week!" and then nothing every came?

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By SSully

I used to wonder this same thing. Then once you think about how long it takes to play a game to know its system good enough, to record the videos and podcasts, then to produce them. Then of course you have the bullshit like setting up the new office, doing interviews, writing reviews and other articles. All of this stuff adds up.

I think the thing that can make people forget about all of this is how casual the tone of the site is. Sometimes it seems like they just sit around and shoot the shit all day, but obviously that is far from the truth.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By YoThatLimp

Jeff - reviews, quicklooks, big picture content stuff, and managerial stuff

Ryan - Reviews, quicklooks and business stuff/merch (since the buyout)

Brad - Reviews, quick looks

Drew - The heart of soul of GB - video editing

Vinny - Video production/big picture video stuff (think BLLSL)

Patrick - News and quicklooks

Alex - Reviews of bad games, snarky titles and news

They all seem to have their plates full. I wish Ryan, Brad and Vinny would do more premium jar time like stuff. I feel like we all get to know Jeff's opinions so well, it would be interesting to hear stuff from them. Hire Matt Rorie and get some more weird content pumping.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Baillie

Yeah, I am really losing my patience a little bit. It's got to the point where I'm starting to not care about the website. I used to be on here pretty much my whole recreational time. There would be at least SOME content to watch/read. It's all turned into trailers and things. They were never big on that before, and it's clear they're only putting it out to have something to show.

I've barely listened to the podcasts, don't enjoy the awful ILM videos - please start putting effort back into these, and TNTs aren't anywhere near as exciting to watch. Then there's a complete drought of premium content, Breaking Brad is near non-existant, Jar Time used to be weekly, and that's recorded during off-time.

I'm not trying to sound like a dick, but I really do want more content.

Wertt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#90  Edited By Wertt

I need more quality quick looks. I have almost memorized the Binary Domain QL by now.

"Oh shit Big Bo...no you didn't"

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By wjb

I was in this position a couple of months ago, but I'm fine with the content they've been pushing out now. It's not at their peak, but it could be like it was 2-3 months ago.

Vinny and Drew have their hands full, I'm sure, and Patrick is a MVP in my mind. People can complain all they want, but the dude constantly steps it up. Over half the Quick Looks seem to be done blind; they constantly admit they've played an hour or two of a game, and it shows. It doesn't help when during that one ILM, Brad says there's nothing to do and later on says there's no time for anything -- Jeff even called him out on it. Ryan answered (eventually) my support question, so maybe he handles those? But he kind of didn't understand my question, and never responded to my response, so I guess I'm kind of SOL with that, ha. (Secretly wished they had someone else handling those questions like they used to).

Weirdly enough, I kind of miss reviews. Even since the CBSi jump, I've gone to places like Polygon just as much as Giant Bomb because they review games. Quick Looks are fine, but clearly they are far from perfect. Since they hardly review games and I always thought that took up most of their time in the past (like Gamespot days), I do get curious about their day-to-day.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By AssInAss

@PixelPrinny said:

I definitely see where OP is coming from and there's a particularly interesting trend going on with the interwebs right now where one-person-teams can produce a shitload of content on their own and upload it to, say, Youtube while more structured groups, such as Giant Bomb seem to produce less content.

This weird quandary pops up and you ask yourself, "If someone like TotalBiscuit can produce 2-3 videos a day, how come Giant Bomb can't? His crew consists of 4 people handling PR and what not, but he does the brunt of the work. GB has dedicated video duders and website duders... sooo what are their frontmen doing?"

I certainly can't provide an answer, nor am I trying to say that Giant Bomb is slacking off. Obviously there are very different circumstances for each person or group working in the field. What I'm saying is that I think seeing this more and more apparent dichotomy between content publishers is a primary driving force in what is making many of us wonder, "So where's the content?" Or maybe it's just me *shrugs*

I thought TotalBiscuit only did "WTF is...", a podcast, and e-sports commenting?

Not much compared to Giant Bomb content.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By BrockNRolla

@Baillie said:

I used to be on here pretty much my whole recreational time. There would be at least SOME content to watch/read. It's all turned into trailers and things.

Me too. I've unfortunately found myself spending a lot more time on other sites, whose quality isn't near up to snuff compared to GB, but there just isn't enough to occupy my attention on this site most evenings. Trailers certainly don't count as content.

Avatar image for deactivated-592be1c2327fc
deactivated-592be1c2327fc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I THINK ABOUT THIS QUESTION A LOT.

IT SEEMS TO ME THAT THEY COULD BE PUTTING UP AN HOUR OR TWO OF VIDEO CONTENT EVERY DAY.

JUST SIT DOWN AND PLAY A FUCKING VIDEO GAME AND TALK ABOUT IT FOR FUCKING SAKE.

I THINK THESE GUYS ARE IN LA-LA LAND IF THEY THINK PEOPLE ARE GOING TO KEEP SUBSCRIBING FOR THE BONE THEY THROW US ONCE A WEEK (OR LESS).

HOW HARD CAN IT BE TO GET TWO GUYS TO SIT DOWN AND PLAY A VIDEO GAME ON CAMERA, FOR AN HOUR OR TWO, 5 DAYS A WEEK?

THERE SHOULD BE A FUCKING SUBSCRIBER VIDEO EVERY GODDAMN DAY.

WHAT THE FUCK!

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By BrockNRolla

@wjb said:

Vinny and Drew have their hands full, I'm sure, and Patrick is a MVP in my mind. People can complain all they want, but the dude constantly steps it up.

No doubt about that. Patrick has him moments, but more than any other front man on the site, he seems to be involved in pretty much everything. I'm happy he's around or I feel like there'd be practically nothing most days.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Baillie

@Old_Corncob said:

IT SEEMS TO ME THAT THEY COULD BE PUTTING UP AN HOUR OR TWO OF VIDEO CONTENT EVERY DAY.

I THINK THESE GUYS ARE IN LA-LA LAND IF THEY THINK PEOPLE ARE GOING TO KEEP SUBSCRIBING FOR THE BONE THEY THROW US ONCE A WEEK (OR LESS).

HOW HARD CAN IT BE TO GET TWO GUYS TO SIT DOWN AND PLAY A VIDEO GAME ON CAMERA, FOR AN HOUR OR TWO, 5 DAYS A WEEK?

WHAT THE FUCK!

That's right, let it all out.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Dany

emails?

hanktherapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#98  Edited By hanktherapper

I figure when they aren't high fiving each other for their shear awesomeness they are playing tiddlywinks.

glyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By glyn

@YoThatLimp said:

Jeff - reviews, quicklooks, big picture content stuff, and managerial stuff

Ryan - Reviews, quicklooks and business stuff/merch (since the buyout)

Brad - Reviews, quick looks

Drew - The heart of soul of GB - video editing

Vinny - Video production/big picture video stuff (think BLLSL)

Patrick - News and quicklooks

Alex - Reviews of bad games, snarky titles and news

They all seem to have their plates full. I wish Ryan, Brad and Vinny would do more premium jar time like stuff. I feel like we all get to know Jeff's opinions so well, it would be interesting to hear stuff from them. Hire Matt Rorie and get some more weird content pumping.

I wish we had more additional content on the site.

Like more random pc game, or retro game week, or individual vlogs for no reason whatsoever.

Since their website is all about video. The lack of video content is apparent and it seems it shouldn't take that many full time working people to produce the amount on the site.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By YoThatLimp

@Old_Corncob said:

WHAT THE FUCK!

One piece of subscriber content a week and you are talking about on average ~60 hours of premium content a year. Get real and put it in perspective, that is a ton of content.