What's the best type of TV to play games on?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll What's the best type of TV to play games on? (76 votes)

LCD 18%
LED 41%
Plasma 26%
Other 14%

I'm just wondering. In my room, the TV which I play most on, is a 19in LCD, and it's actually really quite nice, but I think in time I'll want to get a new, bigger one (as well as a new sound system to go along with it). So, does anyone know which is the ideal way to go? I can look elsewhere of course, and I will, but I thought I would ask here. It'd probably be a good idea to get a nice 1080p TV for next-gen consoles. One last thing, while this wasn't in the title question, I'm also wondering about what's best for films, because I would love to watch blu-rays as well.

• 
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

An Xbox One.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By JJWeatherman

LED TVs are simply LCD panels with LED backlights. People should know this by now.

Anyway, the most important thing for gaming is probably latency, right? Just research that and you'll be good.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Dallas_Raines

Plasmas are gorgeous, my brother just got a new LED/LCD TV, and my four year old Panny completely blows it away in every aspect. Therotically, they should also have less input lag than LCD. Plasma TVs are also considerably cheaper.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

@ntm: It's just that they use the same technology, and therefore share pros and cons.

From what I know, Plasmas will give you richer color, blacker blacks, and better viewing angles. Ryan, Brad, and Jeff all seem happy with plasma, minus Brad's unfortunate watermark issue. Not sure how latency typically plays into either option, so that's something to look into.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you want to get really technical, I suggest visiting the AVSforum.

JakeBalsagna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JakeBalsagna

CRT. Little input lag.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NTM

@jjweatherman: No, I have a 50in plasma, and those are still hindered by the burn in (other than that, it's nice). Maybe in due time that'll be a choice I'd like to go to, but not right now for the main TV I use. Actually, it only shows when it's black, other than that, it's fine, but I'd still rather be 'safe than sorry'.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I have a 26 inch Vizio LED tv. It looks amazing. I do everything on it, from game to watch movies, to work.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wouldn't an OLED (or AMOLED) display technically be best?

MeganeAgain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

CRT. Little input lag.

Hell yeah, CRT is where it's at!

I would still be using my good old CRT computer monitor if it hadn't died on me. D:

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Cold_Wolven

My Sony 55" LED is great to play games on, haven't had any issues at all although it is a bit slow to turn on but it does have a lot of inputs which is important for me since I have so many HD devices hooked up to it.

Geralt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Geralt

I hear the big boys are rocking Plasma TVs.

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By thatdutchguy

Yep, got a 42" philips OLED and it's great ! The colours are very bright and the image is sharp, what more could you ask for ?

digthedoug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Doesn't matter. Seriously they're all pretty much the same and anyone other than a videophile who knows the actual technical differences won't really notice any. Depending on your room size just get a 30"-46" LCD. Samsung makes good ones and you can get one for 300-600 bucks. Vizios are the best 'bang-for-the-buck' as far as I'm concerned.

RedLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RedLeader

I'm no authority, but I recently purchased a 40" Samsung LED, and it's awesome. It's the first HD display I've owned, and so far, it hasn't disappointed in the least. It was pretty pricey, and has a bunch of 'smart' functionality that I frankly have ignored, but everything from Blu-Rays to games to DVDs look super rad. I think the 240 Hz refresh rate goes a long way to making everything look super sharp, pretty much at all times. As far as games are concerned, I've noticed little, if any, input lag. Again, expensive, but a good investment, as far as I'm concerned.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Sooty

Plasma TVs are the best, especially when it comes to bang for buck.

Black levels and response time are where plasma excels.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

a big one

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

CRT. Little input lag.

This is the correct answer.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SomeJerk
nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By nightriff

LED, thats what my new monitor is and I hook up my PS3 to play games on it, it is gorgeous

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#23  Edited By Humanity

@ntm I have a one year old 3D Samsung LED tv and the input lag on it was pretty bad. Game Mode alone wasn't enough (for my tastes) and I had to trick it into running on PC Mode by renaming the inputs.

I heard Sharp has pretty good response time but that is only hearsay that I'm repeating.

From personal experience though I'd recommend against a Samsung. I only scoured online forums AFTER purchasing it and then realized that the consensus is pretty clear on their TV's having some pretty bad response times compared to the competition.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Friendship

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By RonGalaxy

Don't listen to the poll. Plasma tv's better

PROS:

Best black levels

Better image quality

Best viewing angles

Cheaper

Cons:

Use a lot of power (not an agrigious amount that will significantly increase electricity bill)

Image burn is possible (all you have to do is run a pixel shifter/constantly changing image for the first 100 hours, and then it wont happen).

Input lag (all HD tv's suffer from this on some level. I've never heard Jeff/Ryan/Brad complain about their Plasmas, so I'm guessing this can be chalked up to crazy people who wont take anything but 1:1)

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Plasma.

Yes plasma TV's can get burn in, if you're a retard and pause it for an hour on a dark screen with a single bright area. Yes plasma TV's weigh more and can be a bit funky hanging from a wall. But the black levels and response times absolutely destroy everything else. Plus they're cheaper.I won't even look at LCD or even LED as something to buy outside of a computer monitor.

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

I have a plasma and LED, and I prefer the LED by far. But that might be the case just because the Sony LED is brand spanking new (like a year old) and the Panasonic plasma is maybe... 7-8 years old (it's not even 1080p).