What turn based tactics games would you recommend ?

Shotgunblast97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Shotgunblast97

So far I am thinking of getting Silent storm and jagged alliance but what other TBT games would you Recommend for me. I would prefer it if you told me ones that were in a isometric view point since I don't like the looks of the ones that are in 3d. Also does anyone know if the original X-com series can run on Windows 7.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By NekuSakuraba

The Xcom games are on Steam, and I'm pretty sure they do indeed run on windows 7. As for other games, check out the new Xcom, Civilization IV and V along with the expansions.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

Is there a difference between strategy and tactics? I'm pretty sure there is, I just don't know what the hell it is.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Yeah, the original X-COM series will run in Windows 7, and there are quite a few fan made mods and patches that can help make it more playable on a modern machine.

I'd recommend checking out Valkyria Chronicles if you have a PS3. Fallout Tactics is decent. If you want to go down the more of the straight up turn based strategy line, you can check out Civilization V. If you want to go down the Strategy RPG line, look into Final Fantasy Tactics and Disgaea.

OmegaChosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By OmegaChosen

Tactics Ogre is great if you've got a PSP.

Elwoodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Elwoodan

The Heroes of Might And Magic series are fun, as well as the Kings Bounty games. If your looking to go a bit old school Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic is on GoG.com. Civ 5 and the new XCOM are by far the best, though.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Kerned

@Video_Game_King: Strategy games are focused on broader, large-scale, big picture sort of things. Think the Civilization series. Tactics games are focused on battlefield or squad movements. Think XCOM.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By csl316

I liked Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume, mainly for its story. Took some strategizing and each battle felt rewarding.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ares42

@Video_Game_King said:

Is there a difference between strategy and tactics? I'm pretty sure there is, I just don't know what the hell it is.

I'm just gonna talk out of my ass here, but I would think it has something to do with immediacy. Like take Civ, it's mostly about long-term desicions that will affect your game as you go along (strategy), while something like the new X-Com is much more about turn by turn desicions that have major immediate impact (tactics)

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ripelivejam

@OmegaChosen said:

haven't played that but i'd also recommend Jeanne D'Arc

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Canteu

Disgaea. Any of them.

You won't really need any other game ever again though, so be warned.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ThunderSlash

The Advance Wars games on the GBA are great!

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By MocBucket62

Final Fantasy Tactics and Advance Wars if you happen to have a GBA.  

If you have a DS, hopefully you can find Age of Empires: Age of Kings. Its pretty much Age of Empires meets Advance Wars. Seriously that's one of my favorite DS games ever!

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Advanced Wars, Disgaea, and Tactics Ogre.

Oddy4000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Oddy4000

I have more of a console background, but here goes:

Shining Force 1 and 2 are both on the $20 Sega Genisis Compilation, those are both great games.

Vandal Hearts (PS1) was good - I heard the 360 arcade reboot, not so much

I have played Jeanne D'Arc for PSP. it was pretty good

Valkyria Chronicles (PS3) is great

Fire Emblem games on Gamecube and Wii are both good.

Disgaea is crazy complex. Not for beginners, IMO

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CptBedlam

@Shotgunblast97: If you choose Jagged Alliance {which you should}, just make sure you get the original JA2 and stay away from the vastly inferior new one.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By JasonR86

The new X-Com. The only other one that I really liked was Shining Force so I might be a bad reference. But the new X-Com is great.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By BraveToaster

Final Fantasy Tactics is awesome.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#19  Edited By Hailinel

@MocBucket62 said:

Final Fantasy Tactics and Advance Wars if you happen to have a GBA. If you have a DS, hopefully you can find Age of Empires: Age of Kings. Its pretty much Age of Empires meets Advance Wars. Seriously that's one of my favorite DS games ever!

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions is easily the best FFT game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f0e8dcf3078d
deactivated-5f0e8dcf3078d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Final Fantasy Tactics, XCOM, and Civilization V come to mind.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Disgaea series (Available on PSP, Vita, PS2, PS3 and DS) is a crazy tactics game if your into hard rules and brutal difficulty combined with the most absurd anime tropes and characters. You can sink hundreds of hours into them and still learn new things. I'm over 200 hours into Disgaea 3 and even at level 9999 and dealing millions of damage to enemies I can still get beat to oblivion by the AI. It's great. Also the character customization is absurd, you can have every character do basically anything.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced for the GBA is great. Easy, neat story, good character customization and very fun.

You could try the old Fallout games too, they're not team based but they should count. But stay away from Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel. That game is F*cked.

Odium / Gorky 17 is another old PC tactics game, but I'm not sure it works on modern operating systems though. I was able to get it kinda working on my machine and had a hell of a time with it before it kicked the crap out of me and I had to restart the whole game. Not really sure what the story is about though, something about genetic mutations... Monsters = Bad is all I could figure out before I got stuck.

And finally, even though I haven't played it yet the new X-Com looks/sounds promising.

OmegaChosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By OmegaChosen

@ripelivejam said:

@OmegaChosen said:

Tactics Ogre is like what you'd get if you polished FFT WoTL to a pristine shine and then put some powdered gold on top. Personally, I tried going back to FFT after playing through Tactics Ogre and it frustrated me to no end. Everything just kind of worked...better in TO. Just my opinion though.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By mike

How about this...would any of these games run on and be appropriate for a MacBook Air...and would they control ok with the Mac trackpad? I'm looking to get more games like this that I can play while traveling and also doing other things.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Aetheldod

Front Mission 3 .... its on PSN

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By Tennmuerti

Pretty sure we have this thread every few month if not more frequently.

Also there are a whole boatload of suggestions here: http://www.giantbomb.com/xcom-enemy-unknown/61-37152/games-similar-to-the-new-xcom/35-561938/#82

Fallout: Tactics, Kings Bounty, new Xcom.

A lot of old school western RPGs are technically also turn based tactics games, (Baldur's Gate, Temple of Elemental Evil, Fallout 1,2, etc)

Heroes of Might and Magic, but it tends more towards the strategy spectrum rather them smaller scale tactics, same for Disciples 2, and stuff like Civilization is firmly in the turn based strategy camp

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#26  Edited By BeachThunder
StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#27  Edited By StarvingGamer

@Hailinel said:

@MocBucket62 said:

Final Fantasy Tactics and Advance Wars if you happen to have a GBA. If you have a DS, hopefully you can find Age of Empires: Age of Kings. Its pretty much Age of Empires meets Advance Wars. Seriously that's one of my favorite DS games ever!

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions is easily the best game.

Fixed

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By mike

@Tennmuerti: Just a reminder that Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition is due out this month for pretty much every platform imaginable.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#29  Edited By Hailinel

@ripelivejam said:

@OmegaChosen said:

Jeanne D'Arc is decent, but not great. I spent too much time in the story having to fight that jackass Talbot before getting tired of it. (Seriously, why is he in so much of the early game?)

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BisonHero
@Ares42

@Video_Game_King said:

I'm just gonna talk out of my ass here, but I would think it has something to do with immediacy. Like take Civ, it's mostly about long-term desicions that will affect your game as you go along (strategy), while something like the new X-Com is much more about turn by turn desicions that have major immediate impact (tactics)

I think Civ and XCOM are both strategy, because while they both have unit combat that plays out quickly, they both have long term resource and research and production management. And really, a lot of games in this genre have some element of resource or base management. If the game is purely about taking the troops you're given and ordering them around, I consider it a tactics game. Fire Emblem, Tactics Ogre, Shining Force, Frozen Synapse, Disgaea, are all strictly tactics games, as opposed to strategy games.
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#31  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Fire Emblem dawg. All of the Fire Emblem. Also XCOM, Heroes of Might and Magic, King's Bounty, Tactics Ogre, and Final Fantasy Tactics. I guess.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MrKlorox

I'll always recommend Fallout 1/2 (not Tactics) because they have great role-playing aspects and stories as well as solid turn based tactics combat. Sure Jagged Alliance probably fleshes out the tactics a bit more, but I would not trust the story to draw me in or keep me entertained like Fallout.

And luckily all Interplay games (such as Fallout 1 and 2) are %50 off on GOG right now. So maybe look there.

Alexandru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By Alexandru

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Shadow Wars for 3DS and iOS.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ThunderSlash

@Alexandru said:

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Shadow Wars for 3DS and iOS.

This. It's made by the same dude that made the original X-Com.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By endaround

@MB said:

How about this...would any of these games run on and be appropriate for a MacBook Air...and would they control ok with the Mac trackpad? I'm looking to get more games like this that I can play while traveling and also doing other things.

JA2 and Fallout Tactics are both 2D so should work. Also look at the Disciples games (well II, not III) and the Age of Wonder games.