What was the last game to put a smile on your face?

• 161 results
NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

For me personally it had to be Uncharted 3. I got it on the 4th of July, and there were probably moments before this certain point that I enjoyed enough that made me smile, but I usually remember specific moments in games when I grin out of excitement, which usually means I'm loving the experience I'm having with a game. The section (and I guess spoiler alert), when you're chasing Talbot for some reason put a smile on my face. I wouldn't really go as far to say I have a definitive favorite part of the game, I just remember smiling at that part my first time through. So, how about you? What game, and maybe, if you want to say specifically, what part in the game made you smile? When I smile during games, it's not really a huge grin (I think), it's more like I raise my eye brows slightly and put a little smile on, I don't necessarily mean it has to be an overly excited smile, but it can be.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Batman Arkham City just earlier, the attention to detail is heartwarming.
It puts it in a real league above a lot of games just for that.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That was such a good game.  And I really liked the ending, it kinda reminded me of the first one.  The last game that made me smile was Saints Row the Third last week.  Its too bad the bombcast spoiled a lot of the good parts.......  But Im glad they didnt spoil this one part because I actually laughed so hard from it.   

CounterShock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By CounterShock

That fucking X-Men Origins: Wolverine game. It's just every time you level up he does that tiger roar I'M SO ANGRY I'M YELLING AT THE SKYYYYYYY thing and I find it hilarious every time.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Asura's Wrath, when they play Dvorak's New World 4th movement when you fight on the moon. I smiled like a fucking goober, love that song, reminds me of One Piece every time.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Saints Row: The Third but that's too easy.

The one before that was Mass Effect 2. Fucking elcor Hamlet.

Orbitz89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Orbitz89

Games have a pretty good habit of making me smile, because.. well, they're fun. The last game that put a smile on my face for example was Half-Life for the PC which i just played again recently.. I started a new game and was going through the opening tram section and before i knew it the feeling of nostalgia overtook me and I began to smile.

Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Sogeman

Journey

FraggingRights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By FraggingRights

Last I can actually recall is Portal 2's numerous moments. Like "press spacebar to jump", and the ending, and all of Cave Johnson.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NTM

@TaliciaDragonsong: I really wish I liked it more. I played that game a few months back for the first time, and I remember coming home with the game in hand and I was so excited, but once I got through it I was sadly disappointed, I've gone through it a third time now to see if I'd get over my dislike over it, and while playing on the new game plus (after my hard play through which was kind of worthless), it was a little bit better, but not much. I find that from both Uncharted 3 and Arkham games, I like it better when those hit indicators are off. That's a minor thing to point out, but still. I'm listening to the Dark Knight Rises soundtrack right now, and it's fantastic. I wish they get Hans Zimmer - even though by now it seems a bit cliche - to work on the soundtrack for the next Arkham game.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By AndrewB

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:

The last game that made me smile was Saints Row the Third last week. Its too bad the bombcast spoiled a lot of the good parts....... But Im glad they didnt spoil this one part because I actually laughed so hard from it.

When youre wresting and shit and you get that chainsaw. Then "Youre the best around" starts playing. I always thought that song was so great and it was so amazing when it played during the part where I was just chopping people up with a giant chainsaw.

That was probably the last moment I had, too.

It would have been better if the game didn't bug out on me and have Killbane get stuck outside of the ring with me inside, forcing me to play through it again. But the first time the music popped up, I was laughing pretty hard.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AndrewB said:

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:

The last game that made me smile was Saints Row the Third last week. Its too bad the bombcast spoiled a lot of the good parts....... But Im glad they didnt spoil this one part because I actually laughed so hard from it.

That was probably the last moment I had, too.

That really sucks.  Well at least you probably didnt play the game on hard on your first try.  Dying multiple times sometimes ruined the funny parts for me.  
Kear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Kear

Lolipop Chainsaw. When I wasn't laughing I had a big stupid grin on my face.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Walking Dead episode 2. Clem is a cutie.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By MachoFantastico

Binary Domain... and yes it was because of Cain. 

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AndrewB

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG: I was even getting annoyed with the last couple of missions on normal (difficulty spikes like hell for that last mission; had never died from anything other than a vehicle accident before that). Hard would ruin that game for me. The parts I liked were... most of the story missions. There was something totally new and insane every time. There were very few where I wasn't laughing, actually.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@NTM: The only trouble I have with the game is that it just bombards you with sidequests and that detective mode is still too handy to pass up.
Rest is comic lore mania to me.
Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Clonedzero

uh, chronologically? skyrim, cus i was playing it yesterday and i didnt play any other games yesterday and i smile alot when i play games? cus games a fun? what sorta question is this? lol

SimonM7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By SimonM7

Saints Row: The Third, and before that Portal 2, for sure. For me, games that make me smile is a very particular category. One where something just oozes charm and fun and... a kind of warmth. I found The Third genuinely endearing, which is probably the last thing anyone expects to say about that game.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#20  Edited By BeachThunder
Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Bell_End

picked up rayman last night off the steam sale. such a happy game, had me smiling

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22  Edited By Castiel

Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Laughed through the entire thing...

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NTM

@TaliciaDragonsong: I dislike things to a certain extent I'm sure most loved, like the atmosphere (or setting), a lot of the voice acting seemed a bit forced from a few actors or just sounded silly to me, and the story wasn't compelling to me one bit. It's just weird and somewhat ironic to me since I loved Asylum, but I was severely disappointed in this.

I even felt a bit melancholy when I looked over the bay in the game and saw the asylum. I've done everything in it though aside from all of the Riddler trophies, but I did look up on YouTube what happens when you get them all, and to me it's not even worth it. Nonetheless, I still have faith in the series and the everyone that was behind making the game, I just didn't enjoy this very much.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By Akeldama

Watching a dude have his testicles explode from my sniper rifle shot in Sniper Elite V2 was pretty good.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NTM

@Clonedzero: Not every game you play is going to be fun.

Avatar image for deactivated-5985ee6460d86
deactivated-5985ee6460d86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mass Effect 3 the part where my Shepard put an end to Kai Leng. Just a fucking badass moment that had me smiling lol for hours.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AndrewB said:

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG: I was even getting annoyed with the last couple of missions on normal (difficulty spikes like hell for that last mission; had never died from anything other than a vehicle accident before that). Hard would ruin that game for me. The parts I liked were... most of the story missions. There was something totally new and insane every time. There were very few where I wasn't laughing, actually.

I actually thought the last few missions were really fun because it felt like a real challenge.  I just go so used to the difficulty.  The story missions were really too good.  I want to go back to the game again.  
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@NTM: Totally possible, I do not feel as immersed as I was with Asylum but its great game nonetheless and raises the bar for comic games (or rather, just shows those lazy ass money grubbers how its done).
I'm freaking out over the amount of cameo's and silly little things that are in there, every part of the world seems to be well thought out and that alone is making the game for me.
Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Vextroid

Tales of Monkey Island.

Smiling the wholeway through. Still need to finish off Ep. 4 and get on to Ep. 5.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#30  Edited By rjayb89

Mortal Kombat for the Vita put a big smile on my face when it froze within the first ten minutes of me booting it up. I just wanted to get a closer look at the character models, but no. Before that, it was Final Fantasy XIII-2, when the game fast-forwarded through Rise's inane reasoning for liking Kanji. Haven't played the game since, even though I "chose" that reply.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By uhtaree

Mario 3D Land, but that's the last thing I played. Really if I don't sense that a game will have the ability to make me smile, among other things, I'll won't put more than an hour or so in and move on to something I actually enjoy.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By kindgineer

Psychonauts. For some reason the "romance" between your character and Lily made me smile whenever they kissed. I usually have a soft spot for awkward romances, though, so that might be why.

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ChadMasterFlash
@JacobShOckgosu said:

Walking Dead episode 2. Clem is a cutie.

No Caption Provided
xpogox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By xpogox

Mother 3
A smile and then an enormous frown.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By NTM

@TaliciaDragonsong: I agree. As much as I didn't really enjoy my time with it, I won't deny the quality the game has and I do think it stands above all other comic book games, well save for Asylum. Also, I still think the combat looks awesome. I'd love it if they made a new Tron game and used the Arkham combat system for it.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#36  Edited By Humanity

I think Dead Space 2 - I've played game since that I've enjoyed but I can't recall a game that I was like WOW AWESOME. Was kinda hoping Max Payne 3 was gonna be like that but I kinda struggled with the controls for a long time.

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie
JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#38  Edited By JTB123

Resident Evil 3, Carlos never fails to entertain with his cheesy script. That and it's been a long time since I played that game and forgot how friggin amazing it is.

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Draxyle

I just nabbed Saints Row 3 off steam sale. Co-op'd the start with a buddy.

I've never laughed so maniacally at the sheer insanity of a game. I now understand why it nearly won GotY on Giantbomb.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By NTM

@Humanity: Glad Dead Space 2 was your choice, that's one of my favorite games. I haven't played Max Payne 3 yet, but I hope I will. It's too bad it was... disappointing?

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#41  Edited By Red

Skyrim. I'm really glad they added killcams for magic and arrows.

g6065

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By g6065

The opening sequence of Batman AC, during which you play as someone (who I considered anyway) completely unexpected.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SeriouslyNow

JC-MP.

No Caption Provided
SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SamStrife

IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946. Been playing it with some Giantbombers lately and it's been such a laugh.

Here's a video of us in 'action':

serpentenema

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By serpentenema

Saints Row: The Third when I got the jetbike thing and got to do barrel rolls to the Sports song from Tim and Eric and the ending of Journey.

serpentenema

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By serpentenema

And picking up Condemned 2 for like 5 bucks at a gamestop and went around throwing bottles of whiskey at bums and setting them on fire via tazer.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#47  Edited By penguindust

Probably Saints Row the Third. Originally, I was going to say Skyrim but that was so depressing I had to think about the question a bit harder. I easily forget all the games I play so if it doesn't really stand out, it quickly fades from memory. Not that SR3 didn't stand out, in this case, it's just that it's been so long. That's still depressing, though. I've played a number of games this year and while they may be entertaining, it would seem precious few made an impression.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dead Island Decapitating a walker and watching his neck spill gallons of blood into the beautiful ocean.

Moxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Moxy

Journey on ps3, made me smile from ear to ear like the cheshire cat whilst making crazy in game noises with a random player online ..

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#50  Edited By Humanity

@NTM: In a way Max Payne 3 was disappointing but it also did some pretty new things in term of storytelling and direction. I think it was a solid game, good length, amazing variety in levels as well as great attention to detail - single handedly one of the stand out features of MP3 is that you're never playing in the same area twice, and things keep moving at a brisk pace.

My small complaints were just that I just wasn't meshing with the controls that great and it was because not a lot of the game mechanics are explained too well. Ironically in an era where we complain about games holding our hands too much, my big issue was that the tutorial was a little too brief for me to grasp the full gamut of movement that Max possesses in the game. I wrote a review for it and scored it pretty well.

Also yah, Dead Space is like one of my favorite, if not THE favorite new franchises of recent years. I love sci-fi and the old school aesthetic of big clunky machinery and all that stuff. Dead Space 1 was kind of like Event Horizon the game and the second game was just as good. I have some worries about Dead Space 3 but I'm still really looking forward to it.