What will be Giant Bomb's GOTY 2016?

madladunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll What will be Giant Bomb's GOTY 2016? (2423 votes)

Doom 63%
The Witness 2%
Overwatch 6%
Hitman 19%
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided 0%
Uncharted 4 1%
Stardew Valley 0%
Devil Daggers 0%
Superhot 0%
Overcooked 0%
Civ 6 0%
Titanfall 2 3%
The Last Guardian 0%
Final Fantasy 15 1%
Dishonored 2 0%
Something else 2%

What do you think the GB staff will collectively decide on as their GOTY in the end of year podcasts?

I've made the list of candidates based on what the staff have been talking about most positively this year, leaving out anything that clearly won't be in contention, e.g. Dark Souls 3. It's always struck me that the end decision is not as much democratic as it is driven by one or two staff who feel passionately about one game in particular. That's cool by me though; how do you think things will swing this year?

I've added some future releases to the mix for increased spice.

My vote....I think (unless one of the as-yet unreleased games is a masterpiece) it will be a three-way battle between Overwatch, The Witness and Doom. I think....Doom...will win.

• 
LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#351  Edited By LackingSaint

My gut says (for the staff list);

1. DOOM

2. Hitman

3. Titanfall 2

4.Overwatch

5. INSIDE (Could this be this year's Brad Filibuster Push?)

6. The Witness

7. SUPERHOT

8. Uncharted 4

9. Mafia 3

10. Firewatch

Certainly I would be absolutely shocked if DOOM didn't take it. It's a perfect storm in terms of being both a great, polished game in its own right and preying on the crew's collective nostalgia. It sucks that there's no way XCOM2 gets on this list because god I love that game, but I agree that it can be a very inconsistent experience and it seems like it hit Dan and Jeff hard.

facktion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Bummed out that XCOM2 won't even be in the running, but I can't blame Jeff or Dan for having a shitty experience with it. Still proud to have it in my personal top 5.

shorap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#353  Edited By shorap

After Jeff and Vinny got around to playing it during Extra Life I am switching Doom and Hitman around. I believe Hitman will get GotY for GB. While they aren't in love with the game the same way that Brad and Dan are, I think they dig it enough to tip the scales in Hitman's favor.

I'd say the top three will be: 1. Hitman 2. Doom 3. Overwatch

Dragon_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#354  Edited By Dragon_Puncher

1. DOOM

2. Hitman

3. Titanfall 2

4.Overwatch

6. The Witness

7. SUPERHOT

8. Uncharted 4

9. Mafia 3

10. Firewatch

Certainly I would be absolutely shocked if DOOM didn't take it. It's a perfect storm in terms of being both a great, polished game in its own right and preying on the crew's collective nostalgia. It sucks that there's no way XCOM2 gets on this list because god I love that game, but I agree that it can be a very inconsistent experience and it seems like it hit Dan and Jeff hard.

This seems like a pretty good bet on the list overall and I think most of these games will definitely be on there.

I disagree with some individual placements, like The Witness which I think will be quite I bit higher, but overall it's one of the best bets on a list I've seen. The only glaring flaw is Mafia 3 to me. Watch Dogs 2 seems much more likely in the "This years open world game" spot than Mafia 3. While it didn't set the world on fire it was better recieved than Mafia 4, by most of the crew (Alex is probably the biggest supporter of Mafia 3).

TotalHenshin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dragon_puncher: I agree. I'd be absolutely shocked if Mafia III made the list, especially since I think Alex's baby will be Civilization VI. Alex will say a piece on the interesting narrative of the game, but I think even he knows it couldn't, nay, shouldn't be on Giant Bomb's collective list. He will make that fight for Civ VI.

I don't think Firewatch makes the cut either. I thought the GBWest crew was lukewarm on it, and I don't recall GBeast's feelings. Maybe I'm not remembering things correctly. The real thing that's missing is Stardew Valley. That should be on the list, but Dan's not much of a fighter. If Brad was the only one to play SV this year and if he were to have had the same experience Dan had with it, he would fight to put it on the list. I'm not trying to insult Dan, I just think he will probably acquiesce when he shouldn't. It's just a shame that what would ostensibly be this year's Invisible Inc. or DOTA2 isn't going to get the fight it deserves from its supporter. Especially since it is, in my opinion, one of the ten best games of the year. I hope I'm wrong and Dan fights hard for SV.

Eager to hear the discussions come Christmas week.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#356  Edited By LackingSaint
@dragon_puncher said:
@lackingsaint said:

1. DOOM

2. Hitman

3. Titanfall 2

4.Overwatch

6. The Witness

7. SUPERHOT

8. Uncharted 4

9. Mafia 3

10. Firewatch

This seems like a pretty good bet on the list overall and I think most of these games will definitely be on there.

I disagree with some individual placements, like The Witness which I think will be quite I bit higher, but overall it's one of the best bets on a list I've seen. The only glaring flaw is Mafia 3 to me. Watch Dogs 2 seems much more likely in the "This years open world game" spot than Mafia 3. While it didn't set the world on fire it was better recieved than Mafia 4, by most of the crew (Alex is probably the biggest supporter of Mafia 3).

I get ya, admittedly I haven't been able to follow the crew as much this year so those latter choices like Mafia 3 and Firewatch have just been based on their general reception. I could see The Witness being higher, it just feels to me like those first 4 are locks and Brad is going to push hard on INSIDE (and all power to him - that game takes everything great about LIMBO and cranks it up to 11).

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@facktion said:

Bummed out that XCOM2 won't even be in the running, but I can't blame Jeff or Dan for having a shitty experience with it. Still proud to have it in my personal top 5.

It's a goddamn shame the way that thing launched as a technical mess, it deserved so much more. Other than the technical issues, XCOM 2 is damn near flawless as a strategy game. I've yet to even beat it, but every 2 months I've been starting a fresh Commander Ironman to see how far I can get, and it is just as tense as the last time.

Rubberchicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everything so far indicates that it'll be DOOM, and deservedly so.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

I think some people wrongly think Brad will take Hitman over Doom. The entire crew-that has played it-falls somewhere between like and love for Doom, and Brad is at the top of the love pile.

LostOddity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#360  Edited By LostOddity

I could see Vinny Dan and maybe Alex pushing overwatch pretty high up the list. They all loved it when it came out and seem to have been playing it pretty consistently since.

I expect something like

1. DOOM

2. Hitman

3. Overwatch

4.Titanfall 2

5. Uncharted 4

6. Inside

7. Dark Souls 3

8. Gears 4

9. Mafia 3

10. Stardew Valley.

Also as much as its not actually a good game i could see Pokemon Go getting on just for the impact it had. Maybe over cooked somewhere too?

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Itll be DOOM as it should be really, i just hope it gets best OST too.

MasterSwanny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I think Hitman since they all seem to really like it. If DOOM didn't have terrible multiplayer it'd be my vote but hopefully someone in the crew will mention that if half the game is garbage it shouldn't be game of the year.

1. Hitman 2. DOOM 3. Overwatch

Avatar image for zimzamfromspace
zimzamfromspace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Here's how I think it will go:

1) DOOM

2) Overwatch

3) Hitman

4) Stardew Valley

5) Inside

6) Titanfall 2

7) The Witness

8) Uncharted 4

9) Firewatch

10) No Man's Sky The wildcard spot

Personally speaking, this may be the first GOTY pick I agree with. I fucking love DOOM. Here's hoping they pick it.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Any changes since some of the Top 10s have come out?

My new predictions are:

- Overwatch over Hitman. I had Hitman pretty high up. Doom will still be #1 overall

- Picross 3D a sleeper to get onto the top 10 list. I think in place of something like Superhot.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

My original:

1. Doom

2. Titanfall 2

3. Hitman

4. The Witness

5. Inside

6. Overwatch

7. Superhot

8, 9, 10 - I'm not sure.

My revision:

1. Doom

2. Overwatch

3. Titanfall 2

4. The Witness

5. Hitman

6. Inside

7. Picross

8. Overcooked

9. Superhot

10. I would love for this to be Stardew Valley. (actually I'd love for it to be top 3, but let's be reasonable). Gears of War 4 could have a shot here as well? Forza Horizon 3? FFXV?

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Furi is going to be this year's Tales From the Borderlands, isn't it?

Temg99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still going with:

1: Hitman

2: Doom

3: Overwatch.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts