Which one do you recommend?: Switch Pro controller or 8bitdo SN30 Pro+

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Poll Which one do you recommend?: Switch Pro controller or 8bitdo SN30 Pro+ (75 votes)

Switch Pro controller 48%
8bitdo SN30 Pro+ 23%
Another thing...(comment below!) 3%
Poll 27%

I’m in the market for a Switch controller and I’m debating between the two. Let me know if there are other options that you think are better.

So I think the SN Pro+ has a better d-pad but the Switch Pro is the only one that can turn on the system. I’m having trouble deciding mainly cuz of those factors...

• 
sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

The Switch Pro is probably the best controller I've ever used, and I've been using controllers since the 2600

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I prefer the d-pad on the 8bitdo over the Switch Pro controller, so that's enough for me to go with that one.

riv3nt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The Switch Pro Controller is really good except for having maybe the worst dpad I've ever used. The only one that's even know co tention would be the 360 dpad, but even that was more reliable IMO. So it really depends on how important a dpad is to you.

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By north6

If I had to buy either one (and I didn't already own a switch pro controller) i'd probably get the 8bitdo one. I think these switch pro are going for like $80, which is too much. If you can get one for $60 or so maybe, but that's still too expensive.

There is enough evidence out there that the 8bitdo controllers are close to as good or better. Again, I don't own one, but have thought about it about a million times, I just already own a controller for every situation already.

GiantRobot24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By GiantRobot24

My switch pro had a wonky dpad that would misread inputs (seems like a lot of people had this problem at the time), which didn't really matter until Tetris 99 came out. That led to me getting an SN30 and I like it a lot. Other than my dpad problems the pro was a great controller.

Squadaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Squadaloo

It depends on if you play more 2D or 3D games. If 2D, the 8bitdo SN30 Pro for sure as the D-Pad is much better. The official pro controller wins in every other department though.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe that between the two the Pro controller lets you wake the system up from sleep. Whereas the 8bitdo controller requires you to *gasp* get up and turn the system back on from sleep.

I've heard that the 8bitdo controller is picky about what USB-C cord/power source is used to charge it. Not sure if that's true but something to consider if it is.

Underwhelmed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I own both, and like both, but the Switch Pro is overall the better of the two for me. Having said that, I do like the d-pad on the 8bitdo a little better, and its placement is nicer if you are mostly playing games that are focused on digital controls. The 8bitdo doesn't wake the console which is a little annoying, but for the truly lazy, you can always wake the console up with a Joycon and then switch to the 8bitdo without having to battle gravity or touch the floor.

My suggestion is try and lay a hand on each and pick based on how it feels. I think that will give you a better idea of what is best for you. Both are good though, I don't think there is a wrong choice

stalefishies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In addition to the d-pad issues, I'd say the other thing that you might or might not like about the Switch Pro controller is how 'chunky' the face buttons are. They're all big, stick out from the controller a fair bit, and don't require a great deal of force to press. Perfectly usable, but not personally my favourite button-feel, especially compared to a PS4 controller which my main point of reference. The analogue sticks are very nice though, so if you're mainly going to use it for stick-based games it's a nice controller.

But yeah, the main issue is that the d-pad really is atrocious. I couldn't even play Picross on it, it was that bad. I genuinely mean it when I say the d-pad on that thing is unusable.

HIMSteveO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I've got one of the SN30 Pro+ controllers (and an SN30 Pro as well...) and I love it! If I didn't have my Elite controller, it would not only be my Switch controller, but my PC controller as well. It is a bummer you can't use it to turn the Switch on, but I'm feeling a little lazy with current consoles, what with buying almost everything digitally so I don't have to get off the couch, so getting up to turn the Switch on isn't the worst thing. I've heard the Pro controller d-pad is kind of mushy, which, given the 2D games that I play on Switch (like Mario Maker 2, when I bought the SN30 Pro+), a mushy d-pad would be terrible...

sakesushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't used the SN30 Pro (haven't even heard of it), but MadCatz has ruined me on 3rd party controllers. I would be game to check out a new controller, but it's hard to try before you buy these days....

I personally love the Switch Pro controller. Long charge, good inputs, and still works 100% compared to my JoyCons (a few have drift even after sending in for repairs, and one JoyCon has an unresponsive trigger). I'm not so down on the D-pad as others, but I also default to the stick whenever possible. The price really is the biggest issue for me.

For my own curiosity I did a quick Google search for PC compatibility. The SN30 Pro touts a lot of different compatibilities (from their website: Windows, macOS, Android, Steam, Switch, Raspberry Pi), whereas the Switch Pro would need more finagling outside of Steam games. Just an FYI if you're also in need of a PC controller!

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The SN30 Pro+ is a fantastic controller, especially for 2D games as others have said. I still prefer the Switch Pro Controller for most games, though, since I prefer offset sticks rather than in-line ones. That said, the SN30 Pro+ feels better than just about any controller with in-line sticks other than the DS4, so it's definitely usable even for long sessions with games that use analog controls as the input method.

If you're only buying this for use with the Switch, the Switch Pro controller wins, in my opinion, since so many 2D games are tuned for analog stick usage anyway these days, and it has the added benefit of more nuanced rumble and the ability to turn on the Switch from a distance. If you're possibly going to be using the controller with a PC, though, get the SN30 Pro+, since it will work with that natively (e.g. it works with x input out of the box), as well as being a great Switch controller.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

It has its quirks, but you can use the 8bitdo wireless adapter to use an Xbox One, PS4 or other controller with it. I sometimes have issues getting the controller to sync but happily use my PS4 controller.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The Switch pro controller has an even worse d pad than the 360, so if you're wanting it for primarily that purpose then I'd probably avoid it.

sakesushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A quick FYI, Amazon and Walmart have Switch Pro's in stock at a discount (I think $60 on Amazon? My phone says that but I can't check on my work PC to confirm), so if price is the main drawback the difference between the two is reduced for now!

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

D-pad issues aside, I love the Switch Pro Controller and would consider it my favorite controller of the generation behind only the Xbox Elite Controller.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I don't have either, but i have been considering the 8bitdo wireless adapter and using a DS4. its cheaper and more flexible with other devices.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have both, the pro controller is a better experience in every single way. Dpad is a little better on the sn30 but I've played every damn switch game worth a damn to completion and never had any issue with the pro dpad.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By BisonHero

While we’re all in this thread, what are some games where you feel like the terrible d-pad on the Pro Controller really held you back?

For myself, it’s just Tetris 99. The big issue is that Tetris has a lot of moments where you want to make minor left or right alternating movements and input no other direction, and an accidental up input causes a “fast drop” of the tetromino and locks it into an unintended place that absolutely ruins you. I can’t think of any other Switch game where I’ve had this issue. Even in a precision platformer like Celeste, I think the directions with my movement, jumps, and dashes are largely correct using the Pro Controller d-pad, or at least it feels like the d-pad is to blame for <5% of my deaths while my own poor timing or spamming a button when I shouldn’t is more to blame for the other 95%.

All told, the bad d-pad on the Pro Controller only results in very brief wrong inputs as you transition from one direction to another. It’s almost too much like an analog stick; instead of having a significant dead zone in the “middle” like a typical d-pad, even the slightest pressure in any direction registers as directional input. So transitioning from left to right (or vice versa) might give a brief up or down input for a couple frames. It hasn’t impacted my Switch experience because in most games, a couple frames of unintended directional input is negligible. If d-pad dictates character movement it seems fine, but for Tetris the d-pad directions have wildly different instantaneous results. Also would probably matter in fighting games and other games that require extremely precise inputs?

It’s honestly kinda baffling to see things as recent as the Xbox 360 and Switch fuck this up, because d-pads in the NES and Game Boy era were already very responsive and almost never had unresponsive/unintended inputs in my recollection. Like honestly what are hardware makers doing, I shouldn’t have to buy a 3rd party controller or fight stick for reliable 4-way or 8-way directional input.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I haven't used the 8bitdo one, but I have a couple Switch Pro controllers and they're pretty good. I'm pretty sure the battery in the Switch Pro controller is a small scale nuclear reactor or something since it seems to last me at least a couple weeks per charge versus the few hours my DS4's battery lasts.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Not familiar with the 8bitdo but the Switch pro controller is a good controller.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@ben_h: With the Switch Pro Controller, like all controllers, I find the battery life can vary a lot depending on the amount of rumble.

I forget what game I was playing, but there was one Switch game where some very common effect caused a lot of rumble and the pro controller battery lasted only a few days for me. Definitely the exception though.

The Switch rumble (joycon or controller) is so minor and more like a smartphone vibrate, and frankly that’s weird, so I think a lot of devs don’t use it, or only use it sparingly. So on average Switch games don’t activate rumble often so controllers last a long time.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@bisonhero: Yeah, Tetris is the chief example. I imagine Mortal Kombat would be a problem, too, but I do most of my Mortal Kombat play on other platforms.

BDKMat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The 8bitdo does require turning on the Switch with one controller, then switching. And it doesn't read amiibo, which is a thing if you're playing Animal Crossing and getting campers. So in most cases, the Pro Controller is a strictly better option. But the D-pad on the Pro Controller is absolutely terrible, one of the worst I have ever used. So if your game requires the D-pad, you want the 8bitdo.