Which video games scare the hell out of you??

• 56 results
Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

The first Dead Space and Outlast actually make me tremble at times.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

Nanashi No Game. It's such a freaky game.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#53  Edited By Mortuss_Zero
@itwongo said:

Almost any horror game. The only way I can consume horror games at the moment is Spookin'. .

This pretty much. I have anxiety issues, and an active imagination. It makes every door to open and corner to turn the most terrifying thing in the game. Every now and again I get through one, Dead Space or early Resident Evils (the later ones have no horror, no offense). It's too bad, I love horror and horror games conceptually, I just can't be the one at the helm. Makes me sad Patrick didn't Spookin' all the way through Amnesia 2.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Well, necro thread, I love horror games. They're the only thing that scares me anymore as movies don't- even if they were good and truly worthy of being called a scary film (which most modern horror films aren't).

The games that did scare me...hmm.

Resident Evil 2 was scary to me at the time. I'd imagine even RE1 was at the time. They're both pretty campy now for me. I still enjoy them, but they aren't scary anymore. For the record I do not have any interest in any of the other RE games.

The original Devil May Cry I remember finding scary at the time.

Undying is a classic. If you haven't played it you should. Although it's difficult to get to work properly on modern displays (as it doesn't support widescreen displays). Despite this I believe the horror holds up because one thing they nailed is atmosphere and sound. I think that is more important than graphics for a good horror game to maintain itself. Even though I don't think the game scares me anymore (I've played it so many times) it still keeps me on edge. If they had to remaster a game I wish it'd be this one. I love this game.

Sanitarium is an underrated classic that may not hold up for some, but again it nails atmosphere and does a great job at keeping you in suspense. I don't know that I find it scary now (it's another game I've played countless times), but if you haven't played it you should. Great game that failed at the time and it shouldn't have.

The first 4 Silent Hill games were good at being scary for different reasons than most horror games. They aren't scary for me anymore because I've played them so much, though. I still really like the concept that Silent Hill 4 presents and find it disappointing that it seems like no one else has really tackled this concept successfully. 1408 was similar in premise (the movie and possibly the short story- I don't remember the story though), but at about half way through it seems to forget what scary means. It's possible someone interfered with the director's vision on that. I don't know. Silent Hill 4 is under rated in my opinion, though.

Manhunt was the first game I played that had a 70s "snuff" film aesthetic. I feel it mostly did it successfully, but I think some portion of that was due to it's use of the headset which I still think is one of the better uses of it in a single player game (next to the original Sly Cooper on PS2). If it wasn't for censors being really afraid of this series I thinki it could have been better for a video game version of that concept.

Amnesia the dark descent. Still find that game terrifying. It nails atmosphere and sound. The follow up game by thechineseroom was a little underwhelming. They did a similar thing, but being that they made Dear Esther I feel that they failed to grasp what makes Amnesia The Dark Descent work as a horror game (being that they used similar ideals to what they did in Dear Esther which is to say they're really bad at the actual interaction part of video games). I think they could have done better because they had a good premise going.

Outlast was pretty good at being scary- for the first half of the game. Unfortunately it's a one trick pony so about half way through the game you get used to basically the only thing the game does to scare you. If they get a better grasp on what horror is (as opposed to gore horror and jump scares) they could make a better game through out.

Back in the day there was this game series that Sierra published called Shivers. I remember finding both of them scary at the time. Shivers (the first one) has you going through a museum, solving puzzles, and ultimately capturing ghosts. It's not really scary anymore (as the ghosts are cartoons and unfortunately you do end up seeing them so when you do see them it kind of nullifies your fear a lot) and the acting is wonderful FMV acting. I still look back on it fondly, though. Shivers 2 used a serial killer conceit. You're stuck in a town, cant leave for reasons the game does explain, your friends have gone missing, and shortly after the game starts everyone else in town is missing as well. The best part about it- the serial killer will sometimes call you on the phone in the house you're in. You can pick it up or don't. If you don't he leaves a message on the answering machine that you'll hear or if you miss it you can play it back. It was a really cool use of that concept when it was done (after When a stranger calls). I can get the first Shivers to work still, but the sequel no longer works because it speeds up mouse input for some reason. It's kind of a shame. I really like both of those games.

The Ravenholm sequence in Half Life 2 was legit scary the first couple of times I played it.

Ghosthunter. It's an underrated PS2 classic. Alex agrees with me.

The first Dead Space I remember finding scary the first couple of times i played it. I played it so many times, though, it became less so. The second I didn't really find scary, but it was still fine as a game I could enjoy. It's a shame they never made anymore after that.

I remember finding Onimusha Warlords creepy the first time I played it. It's really only creepy, though.

I remember finding Bioshock scary the first time I played it. It's predecessors (System Shock and System Shock 2) were as well.

Doom 3 was scary. I don't care what the haters say. I liked that game. I don't know if it holds up.

Run Like Hell is a PS2 game that no one cares about. I remember finding it scary at the time and also I really liked it.

I remember when Phantasmagoria came out I wanted to play it so bad because the trailer made it look really scary. Having played it many years later I wasn't missing much of what I thought I was, but the trailer was creepy at the time haha

Ok, I'll stop. I can't think of anything else at the moment.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By frymillstrum

Haunting Ground. Never before had I experienced such sheer terror and panic playing a game before. I had remember just saying "nope, no, no more, I'm not playing this anymore" and not going back to it for a few weeks. Which ended up screwing me up quite a bit because I couldn't remember what I had been doing, and that's a problem for a puzzle game like that.

Dead Space 2 has some great jump scares that don't start to feel cheap until towards the end, and it's a pretty long game.

My first visit to Black Mesa really freaked me out too. I just wanted to get the f*ck out of there ASAP. Hadn't expected a Half-Life game to scare me at all up until arriving there. Thank god for the Gravity Gun anyway.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Fatal Frame 2 and P.T.