Why can't people accept that some things just aren't their thing?

• 86 results
JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JZ

Every recent thread about dark souls and dark souls 2 is "hey I hate this game tell me why it's so good, huh?" How about no, some people like it and some people don't. It's called haveing an opinion, goddammit. Instead of trying to bend something you don't like into something you do like, just move on. There are a shit ton of games out there to play. I don't like crusader king's 2, but there is a ton of people that do like it. I do go to them and say "hey your game sucks tell me why it does not suck." No, I just move on to one of the billion other games there is to play. The only time I really complan about a game is when it's awful and can't see how anyone could enjoy it. I'm sorry but it boggles my mind how anyone could enjoy dishonnored, but oh well go ahead enjoy it. If it's about wasteing money on a game you didn't like, get a job or be more informed.

Avatar image for imsorrymsjackson
Imsorrymsjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Imsorrymsjackson

So what if I don't agree with a word you have said? People are entitled to their opinions, as are you, so just don't worry about it. If peoples opinions annoy you that much then its probably time to leave the internet.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

They will learn, or not. 

But all we can do is ignore it and move on, there will always be people who question your choices. Fuck em.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By TheHT

Maybe they just see that a lot of people like it and want to know if they're missing something that is preventing them from liking it too. Especially in the case of a Souls game where plenty of people harp on the game not telling you things, which isn't exactly true.

Or maybe they be trollin'. OR MAYBE YOU BE TROLLIN?!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhh who cares.

pigmartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By pigmartyr

Welcome to the hive mind.

It's all opinion. Reviews and review sites are just about popular opinion when compared to a generally accepted standard. Good per a general standard of excellence doesn't have anything to do with enjoyment. COD BLOPS 2 is a "good game" compared to the standard, but i don't enojy it. Minority Report for the PS2 is a terrible game, but i enjoyed it immensely.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ares42

Have you never not really gotten a game before you got to a point pretty far into it ? I remember trying to play Fallout 3 like 3 times before I started liking it, and there's been plenty others.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By AlexW00d

@Imsorrymsjackson said:

So what if I don't agree with a word you have said? People are entitled to their opinions, as are you, so just don't worry about it. If peoples opinions annoy you that much then its probably time to leave the internet.

You should probably read the dude's post better; what you said is essentially exactly what he said.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By alternate

It works the other way. If you don't like, say Dark Souls, fans insist that you didn't give it a chance or are "playing it wrong".

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JZ

But they are not missing anything, because they played for themselves. So they are missing out on something they don't like. Which on a list of things you should miss out on. things you don't like, is pretty high up there. It's people's lack of opinion that bothers me.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MikeGosot

I like knowing why people like games i don't. Sometimes it even changes my opinion. It happened with Ghost Recon, so i can see it happening again. Maybe if i play a game with a different mindset, or maybe if i look for the things you appreciate, that can change my opinion and i'll be able to enjoy a game, and that's always a good thing! It's okay to have a conversation about different opinions; it doesn't have to be something like "WE HAVE DIFFERENT OPINIONS GET OVER IT".

Slunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By Slunks

Getting mad at people for having an opinion and then backing up the right to have an opinion?

Ironic thread is ironic.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#12  Edited By fox01313

People are just being lazy fools to not just rent the game, borrow it from a friend or just get a demo to find out first hand if they will like it or not.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By BaneFireLord

I came in here to make a snarky comment about Dark Souls, but I guess you sort of subverted my ability to do that, OP. Good on you, I guess?

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By colourful_hippie

But I thought my opinion was supreme law that overrules everyone elses' opinions.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JZ

It's like people playing madden that don't like football. "This game sucks why do you like it?" " because it's a football game and they are a football fan."

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#16  Edited By pyromagnestir

People have a tendency to confuse their opinion with truth. When something contradicts it they get curious. Or angry. Or something.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JZ

@MikeGosot said:

I like knowing why people like games i don't. Sometimes it even changes my opinion. It happened with Ghost Recon, so i can see it happening again. Maybe if i play a game with a different mindset, or maybe if i look for the things you appreciate, that can change my opinion and i'll be able to enjoy a game, and that's always a good thing! It's okay to have a conversation about different opinions; it doesn't have to be something like "WE HAVE DIFFERENT OPINIONS GET OVER IT".

That conversation is never worth having, because guess what? They liked the things you didn't like. Oh you didn't like the combat? I loved the combat. The guy on the bombcast that loved everything about RE6, the controls the camera, the QTEs. What do people not like about RE6 the controls the camera, the QTEs. The answer to why that person likes the thing you don't like is always they liked the thing you didn't.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SomeJerk

I've seen people complain that Hawken wasn't simulationy enough, and then people complained that Hawken wasn't actiony enough.

Why can't people accept that people in general are pretty dumb?

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Deusx

Most people that have played Dark Souls/Demon Souls love those games. If they don't then they act like assholes because the game got popular and they are a bunch of hipsters. I'm ok with "hey, the game is just not for me", but saying it is a bad game is crazy. People think their opinions are fact.

salarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By salarn
No Caption Provided

xkcd sums it up pretty well.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By Video_Game_King

@JZ said:

How about no, some people like it and some people don't. It's called haveing an opinion, goddammit.

And opinions have to be defended, don't they? Our hypothetical dickhead is asking people to explain the appeal, and you're replying with "That's just your opinion".

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#22  Edited By TobbRobb

To be fair, the reason Dark Souls show up in arguments like this so often is that it takes time to "click" with people. Basically no one I know, including me, liked it at first. But when it clicks, it clicks hard.

Obviously there are a lot of people who won't like it in any case, but I think there is an audience who are missing out by ditching it in the first few hours.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ravenlight

@alternate said:

It works the other way. If you don't like, say Dark Souls, fans insist that you didn't give it a chance or are "playing it wrong".

The moment when Dark Souls clicked for me was such a huge moment. If I can convince someone else to stick with it until they have the same amazing experience, then that's awesome. Suggesting they adjust their playstyle to facilitate said revelation is just me trying to help them appreciate a game that might, in fact, not be for them.

It turns out that, when I first played the game, I was literally playing it in the wrong way for me to have a fun time. Most of the time, the people who use the argument you're referring to are correct.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#24  Edited By DarthOrange

I recently bought Skyrim on 360. I can't fucking stand it. I would like to know what made it so popular when it is a piece of whale turd. As a person that spent $60 on the game I have the right to ask what the fuck is wrong with the internet for praising such lack-luster mediocrity.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheHT

@DarthOrange said:

As a person that spent $60 on the game I have the right to ask what the fuck is wrong with the internet for praising such lack-luster mediocrity.

Damn. Rights are cheap these days.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By Ben_H
@Colourful_Hippie said:

But I thought my opinion was supreme law that overrules everyone elses' opinions.

No Bob Ross my opinion is LAW. We have established this. 

No wait, we haven't. Move along.
mcmax3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#27  Edited By mcmax3000

I'm fine with someone who doesn't like a particular game (if they've actually played it), asking why people like it.

That said, people do need to realize that just because a game does not appeal to them, does not necessarily make it a bad game.

When Oblivion game out, so many people were raving about it, that I decided to give it a try. After a little while, I got bored, and lost, and gave up trying to get into it. I still recognize that it's a well made game from what I've played, it's just not my type of game, and that's ok.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By Itwastuesday

@Video_Game_King said:

@JZ said:

How about no, some people like it and some people don't. It's called haveing an opinion, goddammit.

And opinions have to be defended, don't they? Our hypothetical dickhead is asking people to explain the appeal, and you're replying with "That's just your opinion".

explaining the appeal is the art of frauds

sometimes, some people just don't like certain things or don't care

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By alternate

@Ravenlight said:

@alternate said:

The moment when Dark Souls clicked for me was such a huge moment. If I can convince someone else to stick with it until they have the same amazing experience, then that's awesome. Suggesting they adjust their playstyle to facilitate said revelation is just me trying to help them appreciate a game that might, in fact, not be for them.

It turns out that, when I first played the game, I was literally playing it in the wrong way for me to have a fun time. Most of the time, the people who use the argument you're referring to are correct.

See, you just come off sounding like a religious nut.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Itwastuesday said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@JZ said:

explaining the appeal is the art of frauds

What?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TheHT

@alternate said:

@Ravenlight said:

@alternate said:

Video games to me are a religion, yadda yadda yadda.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By toowalrus

@JZ said:

The only time I really complan about a game is when it's awful and can't see how anyone could enjoy it.

Some people feel this way about Dark Souls. Opinions. DEAL WITH IT!

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Canteu

@DarthOrange: Why did you spend $60 on a year old title?

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Ravenlight

@TheHT said:

@alternate said:

Video games to me are a religion, yadda yadda yadda.

Have you accepted Dark Souls as your personal lord and savior?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TheHT

@Ravenlight: well let's just say that Dark Souls, is the shit.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Christoffer

This is a forum and in forums you dicuss, and sometime argue about, things like opinions. The alternative would be to discuss facts, you can do that too but it's not as interesting to some people. The thing about opinions is that they can change if you look at things at different perspectives. Growing more mature, getting different life experiences, getting more knowledge on the subject, can change your opinion. So I don't think it's "mind boggling" when someone wants to know why fans love a certain game.

I want to listen to other peoples opinions if they have good and interesting arguments. Less so if they don't.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

This should be required reading before being allowed on the internet:

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

@DarthOrange said:

I recently bought Skyrim on 360. I can't fucking stand it. I would like to know what made it so popular when it is a piece of whale turd. As a person that spent $60 on the game I have the right to ask what the fuck is wrong with the internet for praising such lack-luster mediocrity.

I enjoyed it for a while, but it was pretty damned flawed in many respects. It didn't deserve all the praise it got, but I just attribute that to the new generation of critics with pleb tier taste.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39  Edited By haggis

I don't have a problem with people asking why others like a game that they don't like. Sometimes it leads to interesting discussions of what people do and do not like about games. Often, though, what the OP in those discussions wants to do is argue. They want to convince people that the game sucks, when those other people have already made up their mind the other way. And they get upset when their opinions aren't convincing. Some people have a difficult time recognizing that what is a convincing reason to them for hating a game means absolutely nothing to other gamers who had different experiences.

It's not so much the discussing opinions that is the problem. It's that people are way too invested in having everyone agree with them when that's simply never going to happen. If you go into those discussions knowing that people disagree and that that is alright, then usually things are fine. I've found that to be pretty rare.

When it's a discussion it's easy to let it go. When it becomes an argument some people become obsessed with winning. Those sorts of arguments are never actually won. Everyone just gets exhausted and then leaves.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By mordukai

@Imsorrymsjackson said:

Pretty much came in to say the same thing. Personally I tend to ignore every thread that has the "I don't get the...or, Please explain to me why..." flame bait.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By triple07

I hate Dark and Demons Souls and I don't care. If you do that's great, I'll just be over here thinking you're crazy but whatever floats your boat.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42  Edited By haggis

@pyromagnestir said:

People have a tendency to confuse their opinion with truth. When something contradicts it they get curious. Or angry. Or something.

They also tend to confuse opinions with rational arguments. Most opinions are driven more by emotion than reason, and that's fine. Saying "Skyrim is a whale turd" for instance, is a perfectly legitimate opinion to have and express, but it's not something that can be argued with. That won't stop people from trying, though. I might be curious as to details about why the opinion is held, but I have no illusions about changing that opinion.

You can try to reason with a person who hates a painting, for instance. They might come away with a better appreciation for its technique, or use of color, or symbolism--but that doesn't mean they're going to hang it on their wall.

Tyrrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Tyrrael

I agree with what you're saying to an extent, but sometimes I do like to ask people why they enjoy a certain game that I don't or maybe to get more information about a game I haven't played. Dark Souls is a perfect example of this. In my opinion, at least from what I've seen, the game seems broken on so many levels, and just doesn't seem like something I would enjoy even for an instant. However, I do like hearing what people have to say about it. Perhaps they may explain why some of my impressions of the game may not be warranted, regardless of what game it is. Sometimes people can alleviate my counfoundedness about certain aspects of a game. Other times they can't, but it usually doesn't hurt to ask. As you may have guessed, I haven't played Dark Souls, but sometimes getting as many opinions as possible helps me make a more informed decision as whether or not to buy a game. I don't have a huge amount of money, so I want to buy games I'm going to enjoy the most. On the other hand, sometimes people just troll. That is where I will agree with you. People that complain about a game just to get attention and to piss other people off should just keep it to themselves. You can voice your opinion, even if it is hate for a game, so long as it's got some weight to it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So you have an opinion post that people post too much about their opinions basically? I'm not criticizing it (thus saying that I'm critical of people who are critical of people being critical). I'm just saying I find it amusing.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#45  Edited By Little_Socrates

If they're asking "why do you like it?" they're probably trying to learn and understand. That's awesome!

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Carryboy

@Video_Game_King said:

@JZ said:

You called?

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Video_Game_King

Why are all the responses to my original post confusing the hell out of me?

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MikkaQ

Seems like you need to come to terms with the fact that people don't like Dark Souls more than other people need to come to terms with their dislike of Dark Souls.

@Video_Game_King said:

@JZ said:

Whoa whoa whoa, why does an opinion have to be defended? Part of the fun of having one is that you're not obligated to justify it. You are free to think what you want for whatever reason you want.

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By YOU_DIED

@Video_Game_King said:

Why are all the responses to my original post confusing the hell out of me?

I dunno man, but the irony of this thread is crushing

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Video_Game_King

@MikkaQ:

I can't tell if you're agreeing with me through satire or simply questioning my argument.