Why can't people accept that some things just aren't their thing?

• 86 results
MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By MikeGosot

@JZ said:

@MikeGosot said:

I like knowing why people like games i don't. Sometimes it even changes my opinion. It happened with Ghost Recon, so i can see it happening again. Maybe if i play a game with a different mindset, or maybe if i look for the things you appreciate, that can change my opinion and i'll be able to enjoy a game, and that's always a good thing! It's okay to have a conversation about different opinions; it doesn't have to be something like "WE HAVE DIFFERENT OPINIONS GET OVER IT".

That conversation is never worth having, because guess what? They liked the things you didn't like. Oh you didn't like the combat? I loved the combat. The guy on the bombcast that loved everything about RE6, the controls the camera, the QTEs. What do people not like about RE6 the controls the camera, the QTEs. The answer to why that person likes the thing you don't like is always they liked the thing you didn't.

That's not true at all. If you see someone likes what you did not like, then you can just move along if you want. But with Ghost Recon i did not like certain aspects that some people even understood why i did not like it, but they showed me why they liked it and they suggested a bit more patience while playing the game, and i enjoyed the game after that. If you don't want to listen to someone else's opinion, that's fine. But it's okay to have a conversation about it.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By MikkaQ

@Video_Game_King said:

@MikkaQ:

I can't tell if you're agreeing with me through satire or simply questioning my argument.

No I'm really saying that you can have an opinion without any proper explanation. Sometimes you just get a bad feeling about something.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#53  Edited By Video_Game_King

@MikkaQ said:

No I'm really saying that you can have an opinion without any proper explanation.

Then it's not a very good opinion, since not a lot of thought was put into it. (I'm pretty sure I'm digging myself into a hole right now, but whatever. Let's dig that hole!)

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#54  Edited By DarthOrange
@Canteu said:

@DarthOrange: Why did you spend $60 on a year old title?

$30 for the game, $35 for the DLC. I figured I was going to buy the game of the year edition eventually anyway, might as well buy it all at once while it was on sale.
alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#55  Edited By alternate

@rebgav said:

@alternate said:

@Ravenlight said:

@alternate said:

It works the other way. If you don't like, say Dark Souls, fans insist that you didn't give it a chance or are "playing it wrong".

The moment when Dark Souls clicked for me was such a huge moment. If I can convince someone else to stick with it until they have the same amazing experience, then that's awesome. Suggesting they adjust their playstyle to facilitate said revelation is just me trying to help them appreciate a game that might, in fact, not be for them.

It turns out that, when I first played the game, I was literally playing it in the wrong way for me to have a fun time. Most of the time, the people who use the argument you're referring to are correct.

See, you just come off sounding like a religious nut.

I assume that he's referring to the situation of people going into Dark Souls expecting it to play like a third-person action game. Trying to play it like it's God of War is literally "playing it wrong." Like trying to play Mass Effect 1 or Alpha Protocol as a shooter.

I know what he is referring to, and I swear DS was only used as an example - but if people have tried a game with an open mind and still don't like it then you are kinda wasting your time going on and on about it.

I could have just as easily have said Monster Hunter or the first few Resident Evil games. Some fans will not take any dissenting opinions at all.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Ravenlight

@Video_Game_King said:

Let's dig that hole!

And fill it with gravy! Then invite the neighborhood over to swim in your pool and laugh as they make themselves delicious!

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By mordukai

For some reason this thread makes me wanna watch Catch 22.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I didn't read your post but the title reminded me that you're a jackass.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Itwastuesday

@TheVeteran13 said:

No Caption Provided

I didn't read your post but the title reminded me that your a jackass.

ahahahahah holy shit

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Turambar

@TheVeteran13 said:

No Caption Provided

damnnnn

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By EXTomar

Demon's Souls "broke my heart" because I could see it was doing so many things right and wrong. Dark Souls comes around and tweaks the game but still does too many things that another game would not be tolerated. Is it wrong to ask "Why can't it be better?"

I have taken this and other situations to not be "pearls before swine" but inverse: They've convinced themselves the stye is more valuable than pearls. Whatever...its all opinions so if you think complaining about critics who point out flaws are terrible and show let it be then that is okay but don't be surprised when they point out that is actually a terrible reason to be quiet. Do you think I point out the problems because I hate it? Or maybe it is the crazy idea that I would like to enjoy it more. If I hated a game I'd simply state "I hate it" and be done with it instead of dwelling on it.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Turambar

@EXTomar said:

Demon's Souls "broke my heart" because I could see it was doing so many things right and wrong. Dark Souls comes around and tweaks the game but still does too many things that another game would not be tolerated. Is it wrong to ask "Why can't it be better?"

I have taken this and other situations to not be "pearls before swine" but inverse: They've convinced themselves the stye is more valuable than pearls. Whatever...its all opinions so if you think complaining about critics who point out flaws are terrible and show let it be then that is okay but don't be surprised when they point out that is actually a terrible reason to be quiet. Do you think I point out the problems because I hate it? Or maybe it is the crazy idea that I would like to enjoy it more. If I hated a game I'd simply state "I hate it" and be done with it instead of dwelling on it

I'd say the frustration comes from people who make complaints about the combat, or the subtlety of the story. Essentially, people like Jeff, who knows that what he wants out of Dark Souls would make people that like Dark Souls hate Dark Souls. But Jeff at least has intelligence of knowing the game is not meant for him, and never will, and demanding changes to core mechanics would do more ill to the franchise as a whole than good.

Bleako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Bleako

My opinion is that I have the right to have an opinion regardless of your opinion on the fact that I'm allowed to have an opinion. What confuses me though is that you are willing to share your opinions and yet you disagree with people sharing their opinions even though sharing opinions can actually help people either reinforce their opinions or outright change their opinions.

So if I think you're a fucking idiot, should I give you the chance to prove me wrong or should I just call you an idiot and then keep doing whatever I was doing after reading your post? After all there are a shit ton of posts out there to read.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Christoffer

@mordukai said:

For some reason this thread makes me wanna watch Catch 22.

Why? Because you can't stand a discussion that will never end?

That's the fun part. Convincing people will never end. Nev-ahr!

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By mordukai

@TheVeteran13 said:

No Caption Provided

This is internet gold.

medacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#66  Edited By medacris

Peer pressure. There have been a lot of games where my friends pick them up and are obsessed with them, but if I eventually pick them up, I don't always see the appeal, or it's not a game I'm good at, but there's a lot of pressure not to feel left out.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By cmblasko

All of these threads about Dark Souls keep reminding me about how much I love Dark Souls.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#68  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@cmblasko said:

All of these threads about Dark Souls keep reminding me about how much I love Dark Souls.

What is with the boon of Dark Souls threads lately?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#69  Edited By Video_Game_King

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@cmblasko said:

I'm guessing there was a sale on Steam, or a huge development in those "higher resolution/60 FPS" fan patches? More than likely Steam, though.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#70  Edited By MetalGearSunny

@Itwastuesday said:

@TheVeteran13 said:

No Caption Provided

ahahahahah holy shit

HA

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alternate said:

It works the other way. If you don't like, say Dark Souls, fans insist that you didn't give it a chance or are "playing it wrong".

I know modern games have conditioned us to expect to be able to always win with minimal effort or skill, but believe it or not, there is such a thing as "playing it wrong".

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By JZ

Yeah I said how much I hated dishonnored in my first post.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By cmblasko

@Video_Game_King said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@cmblasko said:

I'm guessing there was a sale on Steam, or a huge development in those "higher resolution/60 FPS" fan patches? More than likely Steam, though.

Pretty much all of the above; it's been on sale on Steam and Amazon constantly over the past few weeks and there was also a patch a few weeks back that led to an update in the high resolution mod (DSfix).

Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Grixxel

@MetalGearSunny said:

@Itwastuesday said:

@TheVeteran13 said:

No Caption Provided

ahahahahah holy shit

HA

Aaaaaand ... scene. That's a wrap everyone, good work. See you next week.

advocatefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By advocatefish

I hope the response you have gotten makes you further understand why. But probably not.

Destinycero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Destinycero

I guess its pride

Dookysharpgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#77  Edited By Dookysharpgun

@alternate said:

I'd agree entirely here. If you end up disliking a game, any game, that has a large enough fanbase that actually plays these games 'hardcore', you're going to get those exact reasons thrown back at you.

OT: things like Dark Souls are niche, and we have to face facts here...the Dark Souls community became fucking outraged when the developers wanted to insert an easy mode into the game to entice more players to buy it, it's a tough-as-nails title, and sometimes people don't have the time to sink into really mastering a game, so it isn't for them. If they bought/rented the game, they have every right to feel that the game sucks, that they don't like it, and wonder why it was given such a fanfare by people, so much so that word reached the consumer - who then went out, bought it and discovered that it wasn't their taste.

Alternative opinions are two sides of the same coin. I've often seen games get massive critical praise, only to be snubbed by consumers. On the other side, I've seen critics blast games that people have really loved. Someone weighs the positives and the negatives, sees what's to their liking and what isn't, and they can make an informed choice. However, if you try to give an alternative opinion to popular belief, as said before, you will get blasted with things you, apparently, did wrong.

Avatar image for namekaze_minato
Namekaze_Minato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Namekaze_Minato

People have different tastes and preferences; one game or genre won't fit all.  I am a hardcore RPG gamer; and didn't like the GTA games but still enjoyed Bully and Sleeping Dogs.  But Dark Souls is a game not everyone can play an enjoy; its a challenge! In other games dying is equivalent to failing, but in DS its education/ a part of playing the game.  This game won't hold your hand and tell u what to do; it expects u to figure things out. 

In my opinion this is the most difficult game in gaming history.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#79  Edited By The_Nubster

@Colourful_Hippie said:

But I thought my opinion was supreme law that overrules everyone elses' opinions.

No, that's mine.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#80  Edited By Yummylee

Oh, trophyhunter. When will you learn.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Cold_Wolven

Oh I know Dark Souls is not for me as I'm not a masochist and I don't care how well that game was reviewed.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#82  Edited By Branthog

It goes along the lines of the words the notable Norman Chan lives by: It's not enough to win. The other guy has to lose. That is, it isn't enough for you and I each to like things. Everything I like has to happen and everything I don't, must not. Even if you like it. :P

Or . . . I don't know -- it's just some weird human psychology. I suppose much of it eventually comes down to the fear that resources spent making something you don't like seems like it could (even if not logically) come at the cost of things you do. Either because there are only so many resources that can be put into game development and a company putting lots of money into stuff you hate comes at the cost of developing stuff you like or because it threatens the future of things you like, by suggesting that they may no longer be emphasized for development and eventually be phased out.

Maybe that's realistic, sometimes. I don't know. But it seems a reasonable hypothesis to the rationale behind the mindset.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheVeteran13 said:
No Caption Provided

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#84  Edited By Hunter5024

Personally I find it very frustrating when there's a large group of people who really love a game that I don't like, because I feel like I'm missing out on something pretty great. It's almost like there's a hilarious joke you don't get, and you just want someone to explain it to you, because even though that means it won't be funny, at least you can understand.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Why can't you accept that people can't accept some things just aren't their thing?

zrais

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By zrais

People like to hate things that are different. It's childish but its human nature.