Why does everyone all of a sudden care about game engines?

NoPantz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NoPantz

I don't really understand what the deal is. It's been happening for a few years now.

"This game is going to run on this engine, as is this game"

It does not matter which game engine the game comes out on it depends on the developer. Why is not the developer advertised more? Shouldn't the developer be advertised more then a game engine? I could take a dump and put it in a dvd case and slap the Unreal Engine logo on it but it does not make it a good game.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Vinchenzo

Why does everyone all of a sudden care about game engines?

It's been happening for a few years now. 

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By brukaoru

Both the engine and the ability of the developer to use said engine makes a lot of difference to how a game will play.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By jakob187
NoPantz said:
"I don't really understand what the deal is. It's been happening for a few years now.

It does not matter which game engine the game comes out on it depends on the developer. Why is not the developer advertised more? Shouldn't the developer be advertised more then a game engine? I could take a dump and put it in a dvd case and slap the Unreal Engine logo on it but it does not make it a good game."
It's an understandable point that you present.  However, it's hard to say that people don't care about graphics when you can look at any Wii message board and hear people talk about how the games look like shit and that they would prefer Gears of War.  =  /
NoPantz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NoPantz

Ok ok, games have been around since the early 70's with Pong. So 40 years total since the earliest game. So 2-3 years compared to 40 is relatively recent.

Avatar image for masturbatingbear
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By MasturbatingBear

Well I guess with some amazing games that run on a specific engine it plays better for the developer to say it runs on such and such engine. It promotes more of what that engine can do and it makes people say "hey if that first game we loved so much ran on it, this new game should be good" despite the fact that some engines like the unreal engine, can be used for almost anything and once i saw a video of a display they put out of some golf game they made. To show off how much it can do. So if the best shooter ever runs on it that means the best golf game that uses it means its going to be amazing golf? I understand why they do it, but I feel they need to only talk about them in the right places.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#7  Edited By Vinchenzo
NoPantz said:
"Ok ok, games have been around since the early 70's with Pong. So 40 years total since the earliest game. So 2-3 years compared to 40 is relatively recent."
Seriously though, I think it's like what the MasturbatingBear said -- it helps promote a game. I mean the only reason you might buy the new trash called Quantum of Solace is because, hey, it uses the CoD4 engine. In most cases they are paying for the engine kit (coding, etc.) so there's a reason they are buying a specific engine. And what better yet to show off the fact they are using a great game's engine (e.g. Gears of War) then throwing it on the front of the box assuring you it "could" be quality stuff.
Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Emilio

Bcuz game enginz make teh graffix and HD, DUH!

You know, I really don't know.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By Gunner

The more sophisticated the engine, the more 1337 graffix t3h game has.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Rowr

People care, because what engine the game runs on, can influence many aspects of the game's features. In the case of Physics engines, influence the mechanics etc.

With games now becoming so expensive to make, It's rarely practical for developers to make engines for their own games let alone push the limits of technology with them.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11  Edited By Gunner
Rowr said:
"With games now becoming so expensive to make, It's rarely practical for developers to make engines for their own games let alone push the limits of technology with them."
That, we leave to Crytek
chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By chililili

Also before engines didn't amtter as games were pretty simple compared to right now wiht dynamic physics/lighting and stuff actually makes engines pretty damn important nowadays!

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Lunarbunny

I think there's a direct correlation to the number of titles licensing middleware instead of creating their own engine. It has a huge upfront cost (I think a UE3 license is like $350,000) but it saves them thousands of man-hours of effort that they can instead focus on making the game.

tmontana1004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By tmontana1004

Engines are very varied these day. No other engine looks like UE3, no doubt.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15  Edited By Arkthemaniac
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Rowr
tmontana1004 said:
"

"
No other engine features so much retarded Pop-in for textures.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e12c8fcf3f2c
deactivated-5e12c8fcf3f2c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the engine can influence how the game looks because of colors and lighting and whatnot. it even affects how the game plays. imagine cod 4 and halo 3 if they swapped engines...

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lunarbunny
Rowr said:
"tmontana1004 said:
"

"
No other engine features so much retarded Pop-in for textures."
I think this is because of the seamless streaming features they integrated into the engine. Not many games really take advantage of it but they all still get this side-effect. It doesn't really bother me as much as it seems to bother you, however.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TwoOneFive

you contradict your thread title in your post. 

its good. 
when you find out that a game is going to use the unreal engine and the game isn't called gears of war (since they make the best use of it), you know theres a good chance its just going to be another very generic shooting game with average graphics.
and then when you hear Quantum of Solace is using the COD4 engine you know that its going to run very smooth, look very crisp and nice, and its going to play intense. 
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BiggerBomb

Unreal 3 is overrated. People don't give enough credit to Ubisoft's Scimitar engine (Assassin's Creed) and Bethesda's Gamebryo (Oblivion/Fallout 3,) both of which are better looking than the Unreal 3 engine in my opinion.

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Lunarbunny
BiggerBomb said:
"Unreal 3 is overrated. People don't give enough credit to Ubisoft's Scimitar engine (Assassin's Creed) and Bethesda's Gamebryo (Oblivion/Fallout 3,) both of which are better looking than the Unreal 3 engine in my opinion."
All I can say is Epic knows how to sell its engine.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BiggerBomb
Lunarbunny said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"Unreal 3 is overrated. People don't give enough credit to Ubisoft's Scimitar engine (Assassin's Creed) and Bethesda's Gamebryo (Oblivion/Fallout 3,) both of which are better looking than the Unreal 3 engine in my opinion."
All I can say is Epic knows how to sell its engine."

I'm not saying the engine is terrible, I am saying it is overrated.
Giantkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Giantkitty
jakob187 said:
"NoPantz said:
"I don't really understand what the deal is. It's been happening for a few years now.

It does not matter which game engine the game comes out on it depends on the developer. Why is not the developer advertised more? Shouldn't the developer be advertised more then a game engine? I could take a dump and put it in a dvd case and slap the Unreal Engine logo on it but it does not make it a good game."
It's an understandable point that you present.  However, it's hard to say that people don't care about graphics when you can look at any Wii message board and hear people talk about how the games look like shit and that they would prefer Gears of War.  =  /"
A Wii is a console, not a game engine. Most of those "people" are elitist hayters who irrelevantly shoehorn their hate into threads. Sound familiar? : /

The game engine is the "base" of the games, that's all. The games have at least have a vague similarity. People use it a lot to cash in on the association of previous successful titles. X game was good, it has A game engine, so game Y, which also has A game engine is good too.
Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Patchinko

It's basically another way of saying, "This game will look, feel and play similarly to these other games that used this same engine," without explicitly stating the other games.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By DualReaver

I'm not really sure what to say to this, but the OP blew my mind.

Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Patchinko
DualReaver said:
"I'm not really sure what to say to this, but the OP blew my mind."
The part about pooping into a DVD case kinda made my ice cream cone a little less appetizing.
Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Dan_CiTi

I agree. Scimitar and CryEngine 2 impress me much more than Unreal 3.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#28  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

The word 'engines' as pretty much been on every serious gamers lips since Half-Life 2.

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Lunarbunny
Gamer_152 said:
"

The word 'engines' as pretty much been on every serious gamers lips since Half-Life 2.

"
I think for anybody who's even played with mapping or modding has probably considered it. I think one of the real big reasons for the Unreal Engine's popularity is the fact that a lot of today's new developers are yesterday's modders.