• 111 results
Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

After the Street Fighter V "announcement" I've seen a lot of forum chatter here and elsewhere disappointed that it is a PS4 exclusive. Obviously, this is fine if you only own an Xbox One but I keep seeing this sentiment that it being a PS4 exclusive is somehow, "wrong".

I've always been of the opinion that if a game is on a console you don't own and you really want it the best option is to just buy that console, not complain that you want it on something you don't own. It feels like this weird entitlement that gamers have.

Was it wrong when Chrono Trigger only came out for the SNES? Was it wrong when Twisted Metal wasn't on N64? Console exclusives make generations what they are.The PS2 wouldn't have been the PS2 if GTA III wasn't originally exclusive to Sony's platform.

We are all lucky to be gamers, lucky to own TV's and have the internet...sometimes games are exclusive to one console and that's OK. If it bothers someone so much I think they should go and buy the other console and I know that that is an expensive solution but gaming is an expensive hobby and there are lots of people out there who could never afford a beat up Atari let alone an Xbox One or PS4.

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By sodapop7

If you know that's expensive how do you not see that as a viable reason for them to be upset? I don't think it needs to come to the point of flaming on a message board but the feeling of anger is certainly understandable.

Your examples aren't very similar to the present because of how fundamentally different the consoles were back then. People complained less about the SNES and even the PS2 because those console architectures were much more different from one another from the PC-like ones we have today. We know that ports are fairly easy to do so the exclusivity is all for money and not for what one platform offers that the others wont.

WesternWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When a franchise goes from narrow release to wide release, people are happy if they aren't able to afford/don't want to buy all consoles. People are unhappy when games they want go from wide to narrow. Look at all the hatred towards Platinum when it came to Bayonetta 2 being only on Wii U even though, without Nintendo, the game would not even exist. Sometimes it is silly, sometimes it is understandable. Without any facts in front of people, the SF5 going narrow is understandable on them being unhappy. If it turns out Sony is funding this project and without it the game wouldn't be coming out anytime soon/at all, then people will have less room to complain, but as far as I know no such information currently exists.

Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not a viable option to be upset for me because its a video game; you don't need it. If you buy video games you probably have the internet, you probably have an HDTV, you probably already own an $400 dollar console..I'm not crying for gamers not getting exactly what they want is all what I'm saying.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By ProfessorEss

People frequently get upset with business decisions that don't work out for them. I get upset about crippling patents and things I construe as purposely misleading but making and/or buying exclusive rights to things is standard business procedure in every industry and this one heavily since day one (hence people rarely considering Nintendo exclusivity as even being a thing).

This discussion has been around forever and I can't help but think it's soon gonna go even deeper as PC publishers inevitably inch away from Steam, creating an even more complex discussion of sub-platforms on a single platform. EA, UBI, Acti-Blizz-Bungie's already halfway there, WB's gotta be thinkin' about it?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Justin258

@counterclockwork87: Or perhaps you spent quite a bit of time pinching any free pennies to get one of the new consoles.

I'd have more to say if I wasn't on a phone.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

It's not a viable option to be upset

That is never a true statement ever. It is always a viable option to be upset also this is a horrible misuse of the word viable.

If something makes you upset then you get to be upset and no one gets to take that away from you. For many people, something they expected to be a $60 purchase suddenly turning into a $460 purchase would be a huge problem.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By afabs515

Because most people can't own both consoles. Those things are expensive. When they first came out, it would have cost $900 + tax to own both consoles, and that's before buying any games. I'm in college. I can't afford that. So if there's an exclusive game that comes out (especially one that used to be multi-platform, like Street Fighter) on a platform you don't own but you want to play it, you'll probably get upset because you can't.

Street Fighter V is a special case, as it's a game from a well-known and beloved franchise that used to be available on both Xbox and PlayStation that's only coming to one of these current gen consoles. So, people who bought an Xbox but want to play the next Street Fighter are sort of boned.

Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@counterclockwork87 said:

That is never a true statement ever. It is always a viable option to be upset also this is a horrible misuse of the word viable.

If something makes you upset then you get to be upset and no one gets to take that away from you. For many people, something they expected to be a $60 purchase suddenly turning into a $460 purchase would be a huge problem.

I don't mind you quoted me but please don't cut off my words and missrepresent what I said...I said, It's not a viable option to be upset for me

People can be upset, but I won't cry for them when it comes to a dreamland that is playing video games. If you pinch pennies just to buy an Xbox that's okay but I'd rather spend my time trying to earn money so that would'nt be a problem. I just think a lot of gamers priorities are screwed, as in playing video games isn't everything there are other things in the world to do that can better you as a human being imo.

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its out for PS4 and PC. Its not exclusive, its exclusionary. Exclusive means its only out for one thing.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

with the fighting game scene being mostly playstation and comments on how little money they have to make the game recently Im not surprised of them not spending money to move it to xbox as well. The SF franshise is mostly for hardcores anyway at this point.

we don't know all the details though. If sony comes out and says they helped fund the game (ala bayonetta) then its hard to get mad.but its always fair to be disappointed.

I aways found the Tomb raider thing earlier this year different as it was a clear throwing money at a problem for xbox.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Not all console exclusives are created equal. Games like Street Fighter V and Bayonetta 2 would've never existed without being partially funded by a platform holder. That's wholly different than something like Tomb Raider where the publisher is looking to make a deal to mitigate the risk of development.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@counterclockwork87: Considering how your entire thread is about you thinking people shouldn't be upset about this, I don't feel I misrepresented you at all.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

In this case Street Fighter has been on all consoles before. It's not going to be available on Xbox One because of unknown reasons suddenly. If you are an Xbox owner and really loved Street Fighter IV, then surely you'd be disappointed to find out you need to buy an 400 dollar machine to be able to play it (assuming you are incapable of running it on PC; also, PC is far from the preferred platform for a title such as this) and then you most likely won't be able to play with your friends or the controller of your choice.

Reasonable to be upset over this. Less reasonable if it was a new IP or certain deals needed to be made to made the game happen. However, since it's Capcom and Street Fighter and sort of doubt money was an issue for this particular game.

The good news, however, is that it obviously won't actually be exclusionary from Xbox One. 6 to 18 months and it will release on Xbox One as well. You can see this coming a mile away.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'd be upset too if I'd bought the wrong console.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I think it has to do with neurons firing in the brain. I'm not a doctor.

Pestulon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Street Fighter is awesome and it needs to be on every possible platform! People are mad because they are passionate about Street Fighter. And rightfully so. Sure, there are other things in life but - let's be honest here - none of them come close to Street Fighter.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

When you spend $300-$500 on a console and suddenly the games you loved are no longer coming out on that console you wouldn't be wrong for feeling upset.

However that's a risk with all kinds of business and especially with video games. You just have to wait sometimes to play the games you want.

BlueFalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Video games are a luxury hobby. If you can't afford the price of admission take up something cheap to play, like soccer or something.

Joe423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

It's a fairly acceptable viewpoint, it's frustrating to spend a chunk of money on a console and suddenly you can't play a third party game and have to pay another big chunk if you really want to play it. First party exclusives - fine, you know what you'll get when you buy the console. Third party exclusives - anti-consumer.

hacksword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By hacksword

Exclusives make people upset because the onus of access is placed on the consumer instead of the publisher. Instead of the publisher developing the game for platforms that people already own, the exclusive deal now makes the consumer buy a device they would not otherwise want in order to have access to the game. Not everyone sees intrinsic value to the PS4, XB1 or WiiU. To me, these are just $300 - $450 paywalls that the console manufacturers lock their games behind in order to increase their revenue. It's not about "affording the price of admission", I don't want these consoles because I already own something better and don't want to financially reward exclusionary business practices.

Yes, when Chrono Trigger, Twisted Metal, and so on were locked behind consoles, it was bad then as it is bad now. It was semi-justified back then when console hardware was significantly different from PC hardware. Back then, a port may have required too much effort to make good financial sense. This time around, however, both Sony and Microsoft touted how similar their consoles are to existing PCs. It just comes across as greedy now. I know that Street Fighter V is coming to PC as well, but I'm not giving Sony a pass just because I'm not punished in this particular case.

DualFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OP, you went a bit on a trail there instead of reminding people the point:

It's CAPCOM. This will not stay exclusionary. It's no doubt, timed. You can bet $60 on it. (or whatever)

I been trying to remind people all day yesterday of this.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only time I really have a problem with it is when it is an ongoing story that was available on a bunch of platforms, and then goes exclusive for the continuation of the story. That just sucks, all the way around. Tomb Raider(though thankfully it's just timed) is a great example of one that just isn't cool. However, when it comes to new franchises or one-off games, it's not that bad. People have to have a reason to get each console, and it's good to have games that are purely made for that console so hat it can take advantage of the hardware.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

People seem to forget that competition bring out the best in companies. I really hope the exclusive war heats back up, after it simmered down last generation, because some of the best games ever created are fueled by console makers wanting the hottest exclusives.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SomeJerk

Don't get mad at Bayonetta 2 situations. Get mad at money being exchanged behind the scenes screwing developers and gamers over, Titanfall being the #1 example of all time about this, an example that deserves its place in history as gross acts committed against gamers. They went with the Source engine because of how well it performed on the PS3, and then the bomb dropped on them from above, beyond their control, without them having any say in the matter.

I hope we get the story behind Street Fighter V's journey from "expect it in 2018, no sooner" to "we have no money or staff" to "coming to PS4 and PC" quickly. It could be Capcom excluding the Xbox One because they're doing that badly with money that they don't feel like risking it, it could be Capcom thinking they'll drop a Super version later on the Xbox One, it could be Capcom not getting help from Microsoft or feeling burnt from previous business (could it be a thing?), it could be a Bayonetta 2, it's just no way in hell it's a Titanfall.

groposo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm only not upset because I went from the Mega Drive straight to the pc and don't regret it one bit. I've missed some pretty big games that everybody loved and I think I would've loved aswell throughout the years. Only because I own a pc and don't have money to buy a console that costs more that 600 dollars here in Brasil. So yeah, I think people should be upset because SFIV was on everything and now it isn't. That is reason enough.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By damodar

I don't get mad at stuff being exclusive, but I can understand the frustration. In the case of Bayonetta 2, I was originally a bit annoyed at the prospect of it being on the Wii U because up until basically the most recent E3, the Wii U was a massive bummer. But the future of that system is looking bright and although I basically want to get one for that exclusive game, I'm not too worried that I'll later end up resenting money spent on a console gathering dust. But there are other exclusives games on systems that I don't have an interest in. I'm obviously a massive weirdo, because I'm quite fond of the original xbox and don't really have much interest at all in the first party offerings on 360. In that same vein, the Xbox One doesn't really hold interest for me outside of D4 and the Platinum's exclusive game, Scalebound. I'm very interested in D4 and Platinum are Platinum, so I'm obviously interested in Scalebound too. But that's more or less it for that system in terms of exclusives. That's not enough to get me to buy one. So my options are basically be sad because I can't play them or be sad that I spent $500 on a D4 machine. Well, I've got my fingers crossed for possible PC ports, so I suppose I'm less pessimistic than that. I guess part of the frustration is that it's a situation that doesn't happen with a lot of other hobbies or interests, unless it's something like the HD-DVD debacle which isn't exactly the norm.

Though, I do like the concept of deciding a console has nothing you want, and then it has something you want and you resent that because you now want the console that you didn't want because it had nothing you wanted. Mmm.

I will say that the generalising arguments about entitlement can come dangerously close to being a Don Mattrick "We have a console for those people too" comment.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is most likely timed - and I'd be ok with that. Sony does need some games. But if it's not timed, I can definitely understand the feelings of disappointment. This series is so important and has been around for years and is one of the most recognizable and lauded franchises of all time. Excluding the Xbox One is just strange.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably already been said but it's most likely the fact that it was a mutliplat game that now is exclusive. And it's hard to not foresee them releasing a SUPER ULTRA TURBO edition that eventually comes out on Xbone. Capcom is too predictable with Street Fighter doing that crap so I'll refrain from buying it altogether. Mortal Kombat is where it's at!

schnoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By schnoo

Console exclusives make generations what they are.The PS2 wouldn't have been the PS2 if GTA III wasn't originally exclusive to Sony's platform.

How is that of any of the consumers concern? It's not a special relasionship, it's just a console purchase. Some people are mad because they have been exclused because of the likely exclusivity deal between the developer and the company that makes the console. If entitlement means not wanting to pay $400 for a second console then the word is so far removed from what it used to mean that it can be applied to anything.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I don't know why people wouldn't. Console exclusives means that if you want to play "X" game you have to shell big $$$ out for machines you don't want.

Given Tomb Raider and now SF V I'm increasingly glad I went PC this round.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's a difference between a game only being made for one platform and a manufacturer giving money to a dev so they don't make their game for other platforms.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d: Business is business, theres no difference in that. If a publisher doesnt make any money by putting out their game on a platform they wont, its as simple as that.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rethla said:

@alexw00d: Business is business, theres no difference in that. If a publisher doesnt make any money by putting out their game on a platform they wont, its as simple as that.

Well yeah, that's exactly what I just said.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SomeJerk

The PS4 SF4 and SFV are confirmed as co-developed with Sony, in the case of SF4 posted over by a Sony studio so here we have it. If you want to be mad about something, be mad that Capcom was in such dire straits that SF5 and SF4 current-gen would not have happened without stepping in and making the project come real, like Nintendo did with Bayonetta 2.

SFV also seems to be taking on a Skullgirlsy method rather than going to constant-rereleases route, you won't be buying Super SFV, but rather receiving free updates and buying characters.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Because people want to play all the games they want to play. If I was a big Street Fighter fan and only owned an Xbox One, I would be upset too.

ninnanuam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm kinda shitty about it because PS+ is frankly broken where I live. The games were laggy, more laggy than live.

I can understand this isn't a big deal for peeps living in decent places with good net. But it would mean that this will be an unplayable mess online for me. While Live would have probably been "passable" (not great but playable). As it is I might buy it for PC, that for some reason that feels intrinsically wrong.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Personally I like the reasoning. Microsoft is evil and holding Tomb Raider back from everyone. Sony is saving Street Fighter and we should be happy there even is a new release. However way you want to look at it, a whole bunch of people won't get to play SF5 for a while, and if it's really in financial woes then it won't do them any good to limit exposure. I'm sure were all glad Bayonetta 2 got made, but the sale figures were so abysmal that they made the originals look like a goldmine. It is always better to release on multiple platforms and the only people profiting from exclusivity are the console manufacturers, while both developer and fans lose out.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By mike

Here's a better question -

What are the benefits of a game only appearing on a single platform?

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#40  Edited By LackingSaint

I've always been of the opinion that if a game is on a console you don't own and you really want it the best option is to just buy that console, not complain that you want it on something you don't own. It feels like this weird entitlement that gamers have.

Sorry if this comes across as rude at all, but it seems like a weird entitlement you have if you think people aren't justified in being upset when there's suddenly a 300+ dollar roadblock between them and the next entry in a franchise they love.

Console exclusives are a market reality, they're the nature of the business, and I personally can't think of a situation where I didn't own the console that had an exclusive I really desperately wanted to play. But if I were in that situation? I'd be pretty bummed out, and more bummed out when I vented that frustration and had people telling me they literally couldn't understand the idea of not being able to just buy a piece of hardware worth hundreds of dollars for a single product.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By mbradley1992

@mb: Competition when related to first party. Developer aid when it's third party.

@counterclockwork87: I am completely with you. Everybody got mad when Tomb Raider did it, now everyone is mad when SF is doing it. I don't really care enough to rage. Seriously, who cares? Just don't play it. Will somebody die if they can't play the new game? Because if it hits that point, then they'll likely try to get the new system to play the game. If every game came out for every console, what's the point in having multiple competing consoles? The gaming community throws a fit whenever this happens with third party stuff, and yet act surprised. This has been going on for a long time. To act surprised and mad every single time like it is something new is redundant. So now, all the people on the internet who swore they wouldn't buy an Xbox One because of the Tomb Raider exclusivity are now in a bit of a pickle. It's business, and it is not going to go away, regardless of the actual ethical principle of it. It's not going to change.

I think people get too mad at things in general. This isn't something in our control, getting mad just causes us to argue, fight, and have high blood pressure. Nothing will change by this internet rage. I also doubt either Tomb Raider or SF5 honestly stay exclusive. A year after SF5, the "Ultra" edition will hit for all systems with new characters or whatever. And Tomb Raider will probably get some "GOTY" edition a year or two afterwards.

MannyMAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MannyMAR

@mb: Honestly, it would allow for the product to be better optimized and be riddled with less bugs. It allows the developer to cut QA costs in that only there's one less platform to debug for and I'm sure in the case of SF V, Sony's probably going waive costs for certification. I'm sure Nintendo did the same for Platinum for Bayonetta 2.

It does suck that the only way to play these games will be to by into new hardware for some, yet there benefits to working on a singular platform.

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By marc

In the end, life isn;t fair. People need to get over it. If people with an X1 are pissed about SFV, maybe they should remember that PS4 owners are getting boned for the next Tomb Raider game. If both consoles had all the same games, there would be no point in both existing.

For those who are upset, these consoles won't be expensive forever. Just wait a couple years.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By soldierg654342

@dualface said:

It's CAPCOM. This will not stay exclusionary. It's no doubt, timed. You can bet $60 on it. (or whatever)

Falling months or even a year behind in a fighting game puts you at a huge disadvantage. The most consistent way to be good at a fighting games is to get there day one. The barrier to entry only gets higher as time passes.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Because video games generally shouldn't be restricted to single platforms, everyone should be able to enjoy them. That being said, not many people, including myself, are genuinely mad when games are limited to a single platform right from the beginning, like Halo or Uncharted, but no matter how you look at it, when a game that has been available on multiple platforms suddenly gets narrowed down to a single one, people have every reason and right to be pissed. People want the game only, so being forced to buy something they don't want nor need just to play a single game will make then angry.

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@starvinggamer said:

I don't mind you quoted me but please don't cut off my words and missrepresent what I said...I said, It's not a viable option to be upset for me

People can be upset, but I won't cry for them when it comes to a dreamland that is playing video games. If you pinch pennies just to buy an Xbox that's okay but I'd rather spend my time trying to earn money so that would'nt be a problem. I just think a lot of gamers priorities are screwed, as in playing video games isn't everything there are other things in the world to do that can better you as a human being imo.

I hate that argument. "There are more important things that are in far worse shape, so you don't get to complain about video games because it is a luxury/hobby/etc." Its a shitty way of looking at things. If people want to complain about this, let them. Yes, there are far more worse things happening in the world, but everything is relative.

Do you think people aren't out there working trying to save money? Your comment makes it seem like you think the people who are complaining are lazy and don't work and think they should be entitled to everything. Not everybody is in a financial position to afford both consoles.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By hatking

It's not really entitlement. People aren't asking for the game for free, they're asking that publishers don't sell out and make them have to spend way more money to buy a game they want. It's not like Street Fighter or Tomb Raider are known as exclusive games. It's kind of shitty. I remember when exclusives used to be new IPs that we could be excited about, but this industry has found a way to twist that into taking more away from the consumer.

PixelRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I think Capcom should be very open if it is a Bayonetta 2 situation it would help a lot of people understand whats going on. They won't for reasons that are beyond me. The reasons I feel a lot of X1 owners like myself is not of entitlement, but of abandonment. 360 owners that loved this series and have supported it and all it's expansions on 360 are now giving the bird and cold shoulder by those same people they have supported. I said this before when it was Monster Hunter, Titanfall, and Tomb Raider exclusives only help the the publisher and system manufacturers. Exclusives disrupt and disgust gamers. Jeez man why couldn't Capcom give Sony Lost Planet or DMC.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cfdab1a76518
deactivated-5cfdab1a76518

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We are all lucky to be gamers, lucky to own TV's and have the internet...sometimes games are exclusive to one console and that's OK. If it bothers someone so much I think they should go and buy the other console and I know that that is an expensive solution but gaming is an expensive hobby and there are lots of people out there who could never afford a beat up Atari let alone an Xbox One or PS4.

I'm lucky to have running water, clothes to wear, and that my parents made the questionable decision to conceive me. That said, I'm still going to be pissed if my favorite soda gets discontinued, I can't find jeans in my size, or if my parents inform me that I am a 27 year old mistake.

Right or wrong has nothing to do with it. Anger isn't always rational.

For quite some time, consoles have been shifting away from just being a gaming system. They are complete entertainment platforms, with video on demand services, social networking, and even fantasy football apps. As consumers, we are expected to invest in those platforms. When something like a console exclusive comes along, I have to make the decision on whether or not it's worth it for me to buy another console for just one video game. Do I have room for another console in my entertainment center? Do I want to pay for two different premium online services? Regardless of my decision, the fact that I have to even make it pisses me off. At no point am I concerned with whether or not Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo are "wrong" about their choice to lock up a title. I don't own stock in those companies. All I know is that I'm inconvenienced, and that makes me temporarily angry.

By the way, if you think playing video games is an expensive hobby, you are either very young or very naive. Might I recommend restoring cars or doing cocaine...or both.

whur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dualface said:

Adam said in the press conference that it will remain ps4 exclusive forever.