Why we decided to make TNT archives subscriber only...

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#151  Edited By FacelessVixen

Sweet. Lookin' forward to a proper archive. The ustream player doesn't agree with me.

Avatar image for deactivated-6610658acf7f5
deactivated-6610658acf7f5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@snide said:
"... we will start doing some live town-hall type Q&As..."
Button-down shirts with the sleeves rolled up are of course required.
banzai_nl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#153  Edited By banzai_nl

Still holding out for my Music-variant on the Games and Movies sites.

woodroez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By woodroez

As many others are, I'm simply unable to see it live, so getting in a fight with JustinTV every Thursday night afterwards was the route I had to take. Since it sounds like you are now archiving TNT on the regular, I can now give a firm 'fuck you' to JTV and enjoy it here.  

Thanks guys; looking forward to some KZ3 next week.

skywing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#155  Edited By skywing

LOGIC!!!

swfcfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By swfcfan

@snide said:

" OK. Here's the scoop. I asked Vinny to make TNT archives subscriber only. It's not something we were regularly archiving anyway and there's still the JTV version of the archive that is perfectly viewable over at Justin.tv. The reason I asked for it was because the views on last weeks test version were low enough that we realized there's a pretty small audience that actually wants these things archived here on Giant Bomb.

Low viewing probably had something to do with it featuring Starcraft AGAIN! ;)

@snide said:

" Generally I'd like to have a bit more warning to you guys on features like this, but we just kind of ran with this one."

Yeah clicked on the TNT link to find out it was for members only now which caught me out due to it being availiable last week! 
            but im totally fine with the TNT archive being for paid members only in general.

P.S will be a paid member once Wiskey Media accepts Paypal or UK credit cards.
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#157  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I think you guys made the right call. Keep on putting out all that awesome content you do.

Doomshine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By Doomshine

I fully understand why you are doing this, just sucks for me because I've been unable to watch the recent TNT's on Jtv. 

I don't know if you guys started doing the shows in higher quality or Jtv changed something on their end, but the videos just stutter and it's pretty much unwatchable on my crappy old computer.

Avatar image for deactivated-59694a80bc6d9
deactivated-59694a80bc6d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

So will you keep uploading the Happy Hours to Giant Bomb's site? The password system never works for me over at Justin.tv.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Awesome! I'm glad to know this will be a thing from now on, as watching and downloading videos from Justin.tv is not my preferred method of watching Giant Bomb videos!

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By DeeGee
@swfcfan said:
 P.S will be a paid member once Wiskey Media accepts Paypal or UK credit cards. "
Whiskey Media accepts UK credit or debit cards, my good man. I live in Birmingham and I managed to pull off the payment without a hitch. The only snag you may encounter is if you bank at Halifax, who have this truly bizarre position on overseas payments that prevents it from going through.
Xanth93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#162  Edited By Xanth93

Dave, why can't this be watched in HD? I have tried using HD for a while, and it won't load. Please explain. Thanks.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By DeeGee
@Xanth93:  I just loaded up the lastest TNT and tried out watching it in HD and it worked fine for me. Keep trying?
Xanth93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By Xanth93
@DeeGee: Every other video but the two TNTs work in HD for me, so it doesn't make sense that the TNTs don't. I'm thinking maybe because it's so long, but if it works for you, I don't see why it won't for me. You using progressive or streaming?
DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By DeeGee
@Xanth93:  I was using streaming, but I went back to check progressive too. Both worked fine, so I'd have to guess it's something on your end?
linkster7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By linkster7

I love having TNT archived seeing as it's live in the middle of the night where I live.
And gotta love the business attitude around here.

Kiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#167  Edited By Kiro

This sucks for us Europeans who can't sit up until 4AM to watch TNT and have no choice but to view the shitty JTL archive like we always do.

Xanth93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By Xanth93
@DeeGee: It probably is. Now my question is why? I have 3GB of RAM with an ATI 3600 graphics card. The HD videos run just fine on this computer. It might be that my mother's internet is slow, but I loaded up last week's TNT at my dad's house and it didn't work there either.
onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By onarum

Sounds reasonable to me, and fair, after all non subs can watch it live or just watch the jtv archive, want better quality? then pay up, can't stay up to watch it live or pay for a sub? well that's your problem.

Xanth93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By Xanth93

The subscription is pretty cheap, too, for what you're getting. $50 a year for membership on five sites, which includes HD videos, Happy Hour, TNTs now, theatre mode, free t-shirt, no ads, and the promise for more content. Whiskey Media has been great to me (with the exception of the Bombcast bullshit), so I will easily support them. $50 for one year is not a huge amount to pay. More people pay for WoW, which is $15 a month.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By Dany
@Xanth93 said:
" Dave, why can't this be watched in HD? I have tried using HD for a while, and it won't load. Please explain. Thanks. "
I downloaded it and it worked but yeah, I was having the same issue
Xanth93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By Xanth93
@Dany: I guess I will have to do that. Thanks.
AndyPhifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By AndyPhifer

Living in the central time zone means the live shows start at dinner time and ends a few minutes after I put my toddler to bed. Having an archive I can DL to my iPhone and watch when I get spare time is the only way I can watch the Whiskey shows. This is great for me.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By Spoonman671

I fine with watching them on JustinTV.  It can be a little dicey sometimes, but if you let it pre-load some it usually runs fine.  I have no issues with this decision.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#175  Edited By Kyreo

I'm fine with whatever you have to do to pay the rent.  

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By CastroCasper

Cool, I just really dislike the Justin.Tv interface.

MildlyPsycho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By MildlyPsycho

I think it is an awesome idea and a good place to have the archives.  Justtin.TV can be pretty slow/busted sometimes, so it is nice to have another venue for the reruns. 

Avatar image for deactivated-64b8656eaf424
deactivated-64b8656eaf424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's kind of hard to believe that Paypal still isn't an option.
I guess people didn't complain about it enough for it to matter.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#179  Edited By Nux

I'm ok with this.
AxleBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By AxleBro

am i the only one who thinks this is kinda bullshit? whatever as long as we can still watch them on jtv

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#181  Edited By wrighteous86
@Axleisbored said:

" am i the only one who thinks this is kinda bullshit? whatever as long as we can still watch them on jtv "

No, there are plenty of unreasonably childish people on the internet that feel they are owed something for nothing. 

I deserve it because I  want it! 
I deserve it because I want it! 
Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By Meowshi
@Axleisbored said:
" am i the only one who thinks this is kinda bullshit? whatever as long as we can still watch them on jtv "
No, I can understand.  The Justin TV player really is shit.  I'm actually not certain if the Giantbomb was is any better, but if I had to watch an archived version and only had the JustinTV option, I wouldn't really bother.   

They should really look into overhauling that thing.
Mechanized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By Mechanized

Makes sense.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#184  Edited By Animasta
@Meowshi said:
" @Axleisbored said:
No, I can understand.  The Justin TV player really is shit.  I'm actually not certain if the Giantbomb was is any better, but if I had to watch an archived version and only had the JustinTV option, I wouldn't really bother.    They should really look into overhauling that thing. "
X19 has a blog here with easy to use download links, so there is that (I can't even watch the justin.tv player on firefox for some dumb reason)
X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By X19
@Meowshi:  
"They should really look into overhauling that thing. "  

When was the last time you watched a TNT on Justin.tv?  
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#186  Edited By Hailinel
@Wrighteous86 said:
" @Axleisbored said:

No, there are plenty of unreasonably childish people on the internet that feel they are owed something for nothing. 

"
Bad eggs all around.

As a subscriber, I don't really mind this.  Hosting videos of roughly two hours isn't cheap, and to be honest, despite having been a subscriber since the subscription model was implemented, I hadn't seen much difference in content presentation between paying users and non.  It sucks if you're not a subscriber and aren't around to see TNT live, but at the same time, I have no sympathy for the people that feel they're entitled to everything on the site free of charge.
TrevorBrader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By TrevorBrader

This can mean only one thing, subscriber only endurance run!

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By SomeJerk

Before I paid the price of a dull pizza and became a monthly subscriber I'd watch them on Justin, and eh, what's the problem with the Justin.tv player? Justin's killed a lot of peoples uncles and parents and house-pets? Even when I disable the adblockers and hosts-file-fixes, Justin.tv's fine to watch things on, from my experience - on the other side of the planet.

Look into your budgets and see what five a month does for you. Hell, if I got a little better at eating slower so I'd feel full faster, I'd be able to save more than $5 a week from eating less.

And so could you.

Signed,
Person living in country where the law requires tv-owners to pay a tv-license fee of 50c a day

(PS: PayPal is a meanie, knowing how hard it is to get PayPal to be okay with your site in order to use their services I want to say that if you can get something other than PayPal, you should.)

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#189  Edited By 234r2we232

...And yet, the GB video player continues to not stream video properly and will often stop randomly mid-video :|. The JTV player, on the other-hand, works perfectly. Also, surprisingly enough, less user Quest spam on JTV (although the"video-start" thing is pretty close at this point :/).

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By ch3burashka

Makes sense. Getting stuff that was free made "paywalled' always stings, so I hope next time you decide what you paywall on day one.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By ryanwho
@Wrighteous86 said:
" @Axleisbored said:

"
You got a bit of brown on your nose there. Might wanna wipe that off.
prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By prestonhedges

i watch old TNTs while i'm writing as background noise, and i don't really give a shit if they're archived on the site only for paid subscribers

if it's a pain in the ass to upload them and no one watches them anyway, i can't really argue that they should even be on the site, let alone free to everyone

do whatever's more efficient to you and your time, website engineers

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By Dany

The archive here is much better quality than Justin tv, Justin tv stutters a lot lot of fast paced content

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#194  Edited By mikemcn
@CH3BURASHKA said:

" Makes sense. Getting stuff that was free made "paywalled' always stings, so I hope next time you decide what you paywall on day one. "

Nothing has changed, the first TNT that you could watch on site was not put up even with the promise that there would be future archived ones. So there simply hasn't been anything to put behind a paywall. 
Joker369

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By Joker369

I totally understand and am glad that paid subs are getting more features.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By RE_Player1

I love you Dave and I agree with you 100%. I love the way Whiskey Media makes new features for subscribers while not taking anything away fron non-subscribers. Also glad to see you have no intention to make top ten list just for page views. During GOTY you probably could have made seperate pages for some of the awards or people's top games of the year but you didn't and I respect that. I basically only visit GB for gaming now because sites like IGN are ridiculous, seriously a top 100 list where every item is on one page... that's disgusting.

fattonyxxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By fattonyxxl

Perfectly fine. All the people who are moaning about this I gotta ask; What did you do before this was available? ... It's not like GB have taken anything away from you they've merely added something for their premium members. You can't miss something you never had... Excluding that time last week... Anyway, I'm just gonna wait for some PayPal subscription. xD

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#198  Edited By wrighteous86
@ryanwho said:

" @Wrighteous86 said:

" @Axleisbored said:

"
You got a bit of brown on your nose there. Might wanna wipe that off. "
I'm a brown nose because I think that people complaining that subscribers that pay $5 a month are getting a high quality archive hosted on Giant Bomb as opposed to a low quality one on JustinTV are entitled brats? 

You got  a bit of tears on your bib.  Might wanna wipe them off.
audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By audiosnag

I like. I'm usually out Thursday nights so this is pretty awesome.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By JP_Russell

Seems okay to me.  I tried to watch the free one on Giantbomb and the video/sound quality on the high video setting was much worse than just watching the archive on Justin.tv.  Don't know if it's different on the subscriber HD setting, but either way, not much of a loss to a non-subscriber.