Why we decided to make TNT archives subscriber only...

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#51  Edited By Claude

I'm in...too deep. I'll pay again and again. Damn you, damn you all to hell.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By NickL
@Jeffsekai said:
" @snide said:
" @Jeffsekai said:
" I'm confused, why make something with a low view count sub only... wouldn't it make more sense to make something sub only if people actually wanted to watch it? Seems weird to me =\ help me understand dave! "
If we were trying to be a scumbag company sure. If that were the case you'd see paywalls on quicklooks and not content that is already provided free in parellel from two other sources (the live feed and the JTV archive). "
That's a bit extreme, I was just wondering the decision process for making something with a low view count something you pay for...  Thanks tho. "
because the options were that or scrap it completely so they decided to make it a little extra perk for paid members.... 

i dont think the justin tv one is in HD either so as a paid member i who never watches it live i love the decision
EgoCheck616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By EgoCheck616

I support this as a paid subscriber. 
I guess it is hard for me not to, since really this only sweetens an already great deal.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By McGhee

I've been asking for this for weeks and suddenly last week it happened! The player on JustinTV sucks. Some of the videos don't even play properly. 

So thank you very much. The TNT is one of my favorite things to watch on Giant Bomb.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By ryanwho

Town hall style Q&As you say? I love yelling incoherant vitriol!
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#56  Edited By meteora

Cool.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By McGhee
@Claude said:
" I'm in...too deep. I'll pay again and again. Damn you, damn you all to hell. "
Exactly what I said two days ago when I bought my third 360. 
shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By shirogane

Mmm, TNTs are much more interesting live anyway. But i guess this is a good way for people to watch them if they missed them without dealing with that JTV crap.
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#59  Edited By KaosAngel

If the TNT stuff will be uploaded to the site in HD, I'll watch them now.  I never liked going into the chatroom with Justin.tv.   I watch the Happy Hours like this too.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#60  Edited By yoshimitz707
@snide
@Jeffsekai said:
" I'm confused, why make something with a low view count sub only... wouldn't it make more sense to make something sub only if people actually wanted to watch it? Seems weird to me =\ help me understand dave! "
If we were trying to be a scumbag company sure. If that were the case you'd see paywalls on quicklooks and not content that is already provided free in parellel from two other sources (the live feed and the JTV archive).
Yeah, if you were a scumbag company you'd threaten to take away big features like the bombast unless you got 5000 subscribers! ...wait a minute.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#61  Edited By Claude
@McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
" I've been asking for this for weeks and suddenly last week it happened! The player on JustinTV sucks. Some of the videos don't even play properly.  So thank you very much. The TNT is one of my favorite things to watch on Giant Bomb. "
An yet we live to play again.
Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#62  Edited By Slaker117
@snide said:
" @Jeffsekai said:
If we were trying to be a scumbag company sure. If that were the case you'd see paywalls on quicklooks and not content that is already provided free in parellel from two other sources (the live feed and the JTV archive). "
And this is the reason I have no problem giving you guys money. Keep up the good work WM.
triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#63  Edited By triple07

Alright cool. I'm glad you guys are up front about this stuff. As someone who can't really afford to pay for membership but still love the work you guys do and hope to support it. As  long as the actual JTV part stays free to everyone I'm happy.

chibi_kaji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By chibi_kaji

That seems perfectly fine to me since non-subscribers still have a way to access the content.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Pazy

I understand what you did and it makes sense I just want to say that I personally would watch the TNT on the site normally if I knew it existed but by the time the last Starcraft 2 TNT was up I had already downloaded it from Justin.tv so there was no reason to do it again. If I knew it was planned each week, at least within a day of the Justin.TV archive, I would rather watch it on this site. Perhaps one day ill manage to scrape together the money for a subscription, even at only £40 its hard to make it work as a jobless bum, but I want you to I understand what your doing with it and love you regardless :)

nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#66  Edited By nickux

To me, I feel like I'm paying for the ability to download it and watch it offline. Free users can go stream at J.TV, not a big deal. But good post I hope it clears things up.

Avatar image for the_purgatory_station
the_purgatory_station

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bhhawks78:
hey bhhawks78, i know man.  i know IT'S BEEN A LONG ROAD!  but here is the goodness

http://www.justin.tv/screened/videos 

man when i first read that headline i turned white.  then after reading oooook.  you're not taking away the justin tv player.  luckly jtv works fine for me.  i didnt understand why you guys need to be archiving until the int'l audience part.  good on you guys whiskey media.  my guess is there has always been a big European or outside N.A. audience for GB and this was your best solution.
Eiskalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Eiskalt

I think this is a good idea making me feel even better about paying :D

dvdhaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#69  Edited By dvdhaus

Awesome stuff Dave. Hope my blog post didn't force your hand. Happy to support you guys in the future.

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Rockanomics

This is BULLSHIT! RAOW RAOW RAOW!!! 

Oh wait, I've got this sweet golden medal. I don't have to care about sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#71  Edited By Chris2KLee

Seems fair, those files in HD are pretty damn large.

B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#72  Edited By B0nd07

@Video_Game_King said:

" How do you feel about X19 offering an easy alternative that essentially bypasses your new feature :P? "

X19's archive only offers access to what is already available via Giant Bomb's JTV (and Ustream) channel.  The only real difference is that it's a lot easier to navigate since most of the JTV stuff is mislabeled.

@yoshimitz707 said:

" @snide

If we were trying to be a scumbag company sure. If that were the case you'd see paywalls on quicklooks and not content that is already provided free in parellel from two other sources (the live feed and the JTV archive).
Yeah, if you were a scumbag company you'd threaten to take away big features like the bombast unless you got 5000 subscribers! ...wait a minute. "
Except they were never going to take it away; just delay half of it for a few days (which was also a bad idea, IMO).
MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#73  Edited By MisterMouse

good reasoning.

javk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By javk

The JTV player really kills both my connection and my mac. So i'm grateful that top men have decided to also host it on WM, I can finally download a smaller sized MP4 version. Cheers.    

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By butano

Oh neat! I have class on Thursdays and JTV is just terrible in my experience with their archived vids. I approve of this maneuver!

MegaGoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By MegaGoat

The secret is that they will make TNT subscriber only to get on the friend list
Then it will all end up like GameSpot

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#78  Edited By spazmaster666
@MegaGoat said:

" The secret is that they will make TNT subscriber only to get on the friend list Then it will all end up like GameSpot "

I hope you're being sarcastic since what you just said makes absolutely no sense . . . <_< 

Anyway, making the TNT archive here members only makes sense since as Dave mentioned, it's available at justin.tv (I never had issues streaming from there for the record) and is a big time/bandwidth sink. Also the fact that the guys just started to implement an archive here on the site some forty weeks or so after the TNT started seems to indicate that they were always planning this to be a member-only feature anyway (hence, the argument of them using it as a "carrot" seems to fail IMO) and the data they collected from last weeks "test" video only supported that. (i.e. the GB-crew has always said that members-only content on GB will consist of bonus content, not core/key content)
jackelbeaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By jackelbeaver

cool.  There were alot that I wanted to watch that I forgot about so I'm looking forward to seeing all of them archived at some point in the future :)

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#80  Edited By mazik765

Sounds cool...I've been meaning to subscribe for a while, just need to get over this being broke deal.

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#81  Edited By FesteringNeon

i'm ok with it

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Scrawnto

I often watch the live content again once it's archived just so I can see it without the little hitches you get from live streaming, so this is a very welcome feature in my book. Also, no Justin.tv ads, which is a huge plus.

MegaGoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By MegaGoat
@spazmaster666 said:
" @MegaGoat said:

The secret is that they will make TNT subscriber only to get on the friend list
Then it will all end up like GameSpot

I hope you're being sarcastic since what you just said makes absolutely no sense . . . <_<
It makes perfect sense
spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#84  Edited By spazmaster666
@MegaGoat said:
" It makes perfect sense "
Making TNT subscriber only pretty much negates the whole purpose of the TNT and completely goes against the GB's crew's reasoning behind members-only features. Though I suppose trolls have difficulty understanding logic.
mmmskyscraper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By mmmskyscraper

This is awesome. Some of the archived TNT's on Justin.tv stutter and spurt like a mofo so I'd given up watching them there, plus there's the obvious bump in quality.

Avatar image for kristov_romanov
kristov_romanov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By kristov_romanov

Thanks for giving more and more to us subscribers guys. I am stoked to be able to download TNT rather than having to deal with JTV. 

Cheers.

TepidShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#87  Edited By TepidShark

If I hadn't already subscribed when memberships launched, I would sign up now for TNT archives. Huge time saver, trying to get videos off of Justin.TV & then converting them is a pain. It will be much easier to download & watch them on my TV with ones from Giantbomb.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

#88  Edited By eccentrix

I still don't understand how Whiskey makes money.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I'm fine with this. Make the initial TNT free for everyone and if they want to go back and watch an old episode then make 'em pay. I don't see the harm in it.

All I gotta say is keep up the work Whiskey Media. I'll throw some cash your way when I stop being broke.

KeefJM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By KeefJM

All I can say is, much appreciated.

Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Detrian
@snide said:
" OK. Here's the scoop. I asked Vinny to make TNT archives subscriber only. It's not something we were regularly archiving anyway and there's still the JTV version of the archive that is perfectly viewable over at Justin.tv. The reason I asked for it was because the views on last weeks test version were low enough that we realized there's a pretty small audience that actually wants these things archived here on Giant Bomb. That's OK, we dig small audiences... but as a 2-hour feature it's both expensive for us to host, time-consuming to actually encode and is quite frankly impossible for us to monetize in any way in an archived format.  From there it really came down to 2 options. Stop doing it (why spend so much time on something that most people won't watch) or do it as a perk for the dudes that are supporting us. Seemed like a pretty easy call. Mostly I get bummed that JTV doesn't allow many countries outside the US to even view archives of our content, so it would suck to just yank the cord on our International audience without an alternative. Again, following our up front policy of not taking things away this is an added feature to the site, not something we were doing regularly (outside of the first week or so, I'm pretty sure last week was our only time we'e done this). The live version of TNT will never become paid only. We will continue to make active efforts at Whiskey Media to provide new features every few months to the people that keep us from having to shill the normal gaming website way with horrible advertising and farmed top-10 lists for page-views. It's just a better model. We can spend more time making you happy rather than make you annoyed. We'll also be announcing some pretty bananas ideas next week for our subscribers and now that we're getting close to six months in we will start doing some live town-hall type Q&As where we can have a more active dialog about the direction of the Whiskey Media sites and the features you want to see as part of what you're paying for. Some of these we're planning to have open invites to actual come in and chat with us. Generally I'd like to have a bit more warning to you guys on features like this, but we just kind of ran with this one. Seemed like a pretty simple thing to do. As usual, I'm happy to answer any questions if you have them. "
That's alright. Just don't go deleting the archives off Justintv. Just don't.
TehJedicake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By TehJedicake

Perfect.

Sharpless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Sharpless
@snide: Initially, the premium status of an official archive annoyed me, but reading your explanation, it makes sense. Thank you for taking the time to give a measured, good-natured explanation of the situation. Not many site-runners would be considerate enough to take the time to do that. You are so getting my $50, when I'm not broke and unemployed. :)
FoolishChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By FoolishChaos

Wait, JTV says that people have viewed yesterdays TNT 16,000 times. That sounds not low in the slightest... though I don't know. Does that mean that people are only viewing it on JTV or something? 

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#96  Edited By WickedCestus
@gakon5 said:
" @supermike6 said:
" I just don't understand. The Justin TV archive is garbage, and I am never here to watch the TNTs live. I thought that you guys putting up the archives last week was fucking awesome, but as much as I love Vinny and Will I didn't want to watch because I saw a bit of it live and was frustrated by their lack of Starcraft knowledge (not their fault). But that doesn't mean I wouldn't watch others if you continued to put them up. I'm fine with you guys not letting me watch Happy Hour, but making the TNT archive subscriber-only just seems like some kind of joke. If no one's watching it, how is it a good incentive for someone to become a member? "
I don't know that it's a huge incentive, more just a gift to current subscribers.  Granted, other than the Happy Hour (which I figure is the main draw for most subscribers), this whole paid system is one small perk piled on another: HD videos, video downloads, RSS feeds, mobile site.  In isolation maybe none of them are that exciting, but they all add up to a perfectly serviceable package.  Dave's point is that, given the audience for TNT archives appears to be small (although I tend to agree Starcraft II may not provide the best data, given it's not a recent release and been done three times now), the majority of the unsubscribed userbase probably won't care, because there doesn't appear to be huge demand for this feature anyway. "
I just don't get the point. I had it last week, and now I don't have it. If no one watches it then why do they need a gate on it? I am feeling left out of something that they said would be available to all members, the TNT. I just don't understand it as a business decision, or as a membership perk decision, or anything. It just seems like a stupid idea that leaves people out who should not get left out.
Avatar image for kristov_romanov
kristov_romanov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By kristov_romanov
@supermike6: TNT is still available to all. And you can still get it after the fact on JTV.
csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#98  Edited By csl316

Sounds great, adding small perks like this every few months really keeps buyer's remorse about the subscription at bay.

gazingout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By gazingout

TNT is a joke.