Will GB ever be able to compete the likes of IGN, 1UP and GS?

• 167 results
BlackCoffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#101  Edited By BlackCoffee

At the moment the site is still being tweaked but to be honest i believe the best editorical staff from GS has left either left or come to GB, i don't really follow the community on IGN etc so i wouldn't like to say about their website/ community

Persepolian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By Persepolian

It's never really fair to compare a brand new site to IGN (which is owned and funded by FOX), Gamespot (which may be a corporate shill now) or 1up (which has very similar organization and layout problems on their site). I have faith that these guys will get the job done. I also like that they're leaving some of it in our hands. The site grows if the community grows, and vice-versa. It's a nice ethic.

And to the point made earlier by some people, it's not yet clear if competing with those sites is even the GB goal. Give it time, I say :)

NihonTiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By NihonTiger

Eventually, maybe. But they'll need to work out the kinks, hire more people, etc.

pyromaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#104  Edited By pyromaniac

yeah and let me tell you the reason for that, people are bored with those sites. I have been a member of gamespot for four and a half years and frankly this is solid. All those other sites were becoming a major pain in the ass, this is awesomeee!! More over we got jeff G running the show, its all good. Give it a few years.

Grady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#105  Edited By Grady

They should make the forum a bit less clustered.  But this site really has potential.  And it also has majority of the GS users converting.

dj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#106  Edited By dj

I think its just a matter of time. The creators are already veterans of the industry so their experience will lead to faster development and maturation of Giant Bomb.

Premier111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Premier111

i doubt it will be a big company owned site, but it is a good gamer/old GS user dedicated place :)

Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Zombie

In due time.

Hanabi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#109  Edited By Hanabi
Peanut said:
"Hanabi said:
"I haven't read all four pages so I don't know if anyone has brought this up or not... I think the biggest question is not whether they will be able to compete. But whether they should compete. What makes Giant Bomb special since the day I first found out about it was that it was a tight group of friends doing what they love and having fun with their work. The podcast every week would not be great without this chemistry between them. Would we really want to change how Giant Bomb is to make it more like other gaming sites out there? I wouldn't.
"

I was posting the exact same thing before the site "bombed" on me again.
I fully agree that Giant Bomb is offering something unique in comparison to the sites in question. The emphasis on community and top-shelf content, with what could almost be seen as a disregard for the corporate side of the gaming-press, is not only refreshing, it's needed.
Giant Bomb is "keeping it real", for lack of a better term, and I applaud them for it.
"
I applaud them too.  When the site is fully up and running and the glitches have been worked out and features are improved and whatnot then I'm sure this will be my favorite gaming site. It already was before the launch itself so add what they gave us now with what they were before...  Yeah you get the idea.
Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Systech

Over time, when things start to develop, I can pretty much guarantee that it will. That might even be for a year or two, but we've only gone into this site for almost a day so you can say that was a bold statement.

error11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By error11

I think it will with time.

Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Mourne
Archaic said:
"No. They need to get out reviews quicker. They don't review as much and what they do review it up a week after the game is released.

Giant Bomb needs a bigger staff pretty much."
Given that the site of GB hadn't even launched, it's no surprise that early reviews weren't exactly possible. Now that the site is launched and GB is established as another key stop for gaming, they'll get plenty of access to early review builds and the like.

GB will be fine. They've got Jeff, they've got Ryan, they've got Brad, they've got Vinny, and they've got almost 10,000 members in less than 24 hours--things are already fine and will be fine from here on out.
epic_pets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By epic_pets

I say in about a year or 2.

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

the main page needs a lot of work...and everything is a bit too dark

myzticaznfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#115  Edited By myzticaznfool

Jeff, Ryan, Brad and Vinny are some of the best people in this business, so no doubt they can be on par with the other major gaming sites.

tec3297

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By tec3297

Are you kidding? They already are...

DJSneakyBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By DJSneakyBear
BiffMcBlumpkin said:
"Well, this site certainly has the reviewing talent - that's probably the most important thing.

First of all, they need to streamline the mainpage, make it more intuitive.

Also right now the forum is seriously cluttered, they need to streamline that as well.

They obviously will, it just takes time."

well put.  i also think they'll need to hire more people, it'll be pretty hard to read all the submissions, deal with site design, and review all the games, but like you said, it'll all happen in time. 
Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#118  Edited By Whisperkill

Probably not but the only one of those sites that are actually good is 1up.

DarkLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By DarkLegend

Yes, especially GS.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7c31174a7f0
deactivated-5d7c31174a7f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The site has just launched. All those sites have had years to fine tune their pages.

Vlademir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Vlademir

GB is brand new and already has tons of registered users and the guys running it are professionals with lots of experience. I would say that in time it will be just as big.

Avatar image for gurfunklebunker
gurfunklebunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By gurfunklebunker

It's still a new site, so it'll take some time, but eventually...

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#123  Edited By spiceninja

Give it time and it'll be one of the biggest gaming websites on the net.

thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By thelastguy

They probably will eventually

Solid_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Solid_Snake
Atlas said:
"I think they could. It depends on a number of things, but it's certainly got the potential to catch on. It just depends on how much money they have available, who else they will be able to attract to join the editorial team, and how much word of mouth spreads about the site. For now Giant Bomb is the little website that could, but I could totally see it being the next IGN or GameSpot."
You don't realize that GS is owned by ABC and IGN is owned by Fox.  In that they have a huge userbase and a large amount of cash to pool into from their parent company.  Also IGN has more editors working on each channel such as PS3, 360, DVD's, Babes, etc. than GB has on it's entire site.  Granted GB is just a baby compared to them, but it took IGN a decade to reach the position that it is currently in. 
sirvampalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By sirvampalot

In time yes but there is alot of work to do.

Xeno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Xeno

It's not already?

SM2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#128  Edited By SM2099

For their sake they better... Lol

Just kidding, actually Giant Bomb has already started a presedent. Not only while as a blog did they have huge success with averaging over a hundread coments per post but they have already the facts in paper (or something in whatever software they're using) that atleast their site is being used. Just divide those 20,000 submisions using one of them fancy statistics equations and you'll see how awsome and filled with people this site is. So for its first day jump start, it did better then any other gaming or website in general out in the Internet.

Although I do think that comparisons between GB and the others is fair since Giant Bomb is now a completly different animal on its own. It more friendly for the user and gives alot of freedom in many aspects. Its ike living in a Safari instead of a Zoo.

dr_nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#129  Edited By dr_nefarious

It's hard to tell at this point and time but If the community grows then anything is possible.

killkev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By killkev

I think Giant Bomb will most certainly explode all over the internets and everyone will come running to the crater left behind and hold hands whilst singing songs.

Mikewrestler5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Mikewrestler5

This site will easily become bigger and better over time. You just have to have patience.

Telecomdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Telecomdog

I thought the purpose of this site was to inspire user generated content and expression?  If that’s the case we will never have to worry about  GB turn in to one of those guys… Unless the site eats itself and turn into anarchy… time will tell

Xelloss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Xelloss

I think they will, and could be bigger depending since there's alot more user generated stuff here.  So you have onlookers and the entire community.  IGN, GS or 1up have community forums and IGN staff.  Giantbomb whole site is community, + forums, + staff.  I think they will do fine for many years to come.  This will be the place for video game info.

epic_pets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By epic_pets

Yea they have over 1,000 people posting news for them

Aska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Aska

No, I don't think it's trying to.  This site is heavily community based unlike pretty much every other gaming site.

velvetelvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By velvetelvis

well, they certainly have the talent.  even the people upstairs seem to be doing a good job...  but, the site needs to be more organized.   the forums need to be easier to find, whether its the ps3 forums or handheld forum, its not easy to find.  i do like how they have a hamburger forum.  very quirky. 

also, i hate the 1up site.  the podcasts are good, but i dont go to their site.  and i really dont like how they have no consule specific forums.

and gamespot.  not anymore.  i realize we have not been told the whole story about what happened, but what we have been told really sucks.  the "on air" people their are really good and pretty likeable.  but, i just cant do it anymore. 

ign, well...  i like them the best... umm... after giant bomb.  pretty good layout.   easy to find everything.

gb is still new and in beta.  hopefully some of these things will be ironed out...

besides, they have the talent.

Carmel_Chewy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Carmel_Chewy

Maybe pretty soon it could, but not now.

theycallmeryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By theycallmeryan

Yes.

Agent_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#140  Edited By Agent_8

They need to host tournaments.  Since these guys left gamespot the tournament commentary has gotten pretty bad.

Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Major

Those sites do a ton of stuff (Like industry news, which Jeff said GB wasn't going to do) and have a huge amount of employees for every aspect of the site. Those 3 sites are older than dirt and are so established in the gaming industry that it will take a very, very long time to even get close.
No disrespect to the guys at GB but it's just the reality of things

Protocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Protocol

I think that it's not in the same category as those sites, because of it's database-based structure of linking everything together. So I believe it can compete, because it has a different "mission" and "structure" than those sites, in my eyes.

SolemnOaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By SolemnOaf

Let's not pretend that IGN or 1up or GS have any credibility anymore.  Game Informer gives everything an eight, EGM just changed their scoring system so apparently they could give everything a B and just hope no one notices.  At least Giantbomb has the potential to write reviews that aren't shaped by publishers and developers so much that they read as more of an advertisement than an actual critical analysis.  I just wrote my first blog about this, incidentally.  Check it out if you've got nothing better to do.

FordFairlane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#144  Edited By FordFairlane

I guess I'd have to know what you mean by "compete".  Do you mean userbase? Profit?

Based on what I've seen and heard from Jeff, Ryan, & Co so far, they're not really trying to occupy the same space as those sites.
GiantBomb seems to be focused on:

• What games are coming out?
  • Are those games any good?
  • How do you feel about them?

While leaving the business aspects to the IGNs and GameSpots.
Based on the crew they have, they're definitely up to that task.

xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#145  Edited By xplodedd
Aska said:
"No, I don't think it's trying to.  This site is heavily community based unlike pretty much every other gaming site."
thats not true, the GB staff will start to do editorial stuff, just all the submissions and the chaos... is taking time from them, once it all settles, everything will be alright.
Elyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Elyx

without official downloadable content -- video, patches and most importantly demos -- GB, and any other game site for that matter, would never be able to compete with the giants.

Natural20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Natural20

GB serves a different audience I think, the better question is how well will they rival NeoGaf or Kotaku a more blog focused site

Manks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#148  Edited By Manks

In time Giant Bomb will rule the world and those sites will have an extremely small community. 

Natural20 said:

"GB serves a different audience I think, the better question is how well will they rival NeoGaf or Kotaku a more blog focused site
"

I have to agree with you about NeoGaf.  Kotaku not so much, even though I love that.  Giant Bomb does serve a somewhat different.  Of course hear most of us are well informed and hardcore gamers along with the exception of some casual gamers.  Some of us aren't even afraid to admit that we are geeks.  Giant Bomb's audience is more layed back, relaxed, friendly, and seems like they like to enjoy life compared to other sites.
Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#149  Edited By Termite

I think eventually the site will have the power to take those guys on, but the site is aiming to be very different so it will attract people for different reasons

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#150  Edited By Willy105

Their forums will, but to surpass the other sites, it needs content.