Wrapping Up the Internship: Photos, Anime and Kingtern Status!

babylonian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Edited By babylonian

Look. I know my internship ended three weeks ago, okay? I know that. But I promise, there's a really good reason this post took so long.

I was developing these photos.

Okay, now that I've got that out of the way: my Whiskey Media internship ruled. It was the most fun, exhausting, and productive summer I've ever had. Going in, I was a bit nervous for about a trillion reasons, not the least of which was the fact that I'd never worked a full-time, nine-to-five job in my life. My concerns were unfounded (in this case, at least), because the time flew. Coming into work every day was a treat - I got to share a desk (and an awesome boss) with three really passionate, hilarious co-interns, none of whom I knew when I began but all of whom I was joking around with within hours of arriving.

No Caption Provided

Like I said in my Day 1 post, the other 'terns went out of their way to make me feel welcome. I had no idea whether or not I'd get along with Ethan's other hires (except Ben, whose username is a Tim and Eric reference, so we were destined to be BFFs), but things turned out beautifully. I've got mad love for all these fellas and I can't wait to see 'em again.

Looking back over my two months on the Best Coast, I feel incredibly proud of what we got done. In case you aren't aware, we churned out quite a bit of content this summer in addition to our typical behind-the-scenes site duties. All of our videos, podcasts and more have been organized for your convenience in this thread by user alistercat. Thanks, alistercat!

Readjusting to school life has been pretty painless - I loved SF, but I also love it here in Asheville. Really, the two cities are remarkably similar: Asheville's kind of just San Francisco, except smaller and with awful public transportation, less to do, and worse food. Okay, I'm mostly kidding, but this last year of college is shaping up to be just a little bit less exciting than working at the greatest place in the world. There is light at the end of the tunnel, though.

Basically: San Francisco is an amazing city, Whiskey Media is an amazing company, and I can't wait to get back to both.

What am I getting at? Ben totally let slip that both of us are coming back in Summer 2012 as Kingterns. Kingterns! Unbelievable! I've never really been clear on what it means to be a Kingtern, exactly, but rest assured that this means there will be, among other things, more Internal Affairs on the way.

No Caption Provided

As for me, I'm doing everything I can to stay sharp against the doldrums of public university education. For me, right now, that means writin' about anime. You heard right: I'm a guest contributor to Anime Vice now! I've written twoarticles so far (my first-ever written material for a Whiskey site!) chronicling my journey through a show called Bakemonogatari, and it's seriously been a blast. I'm also still tweeting like a motherfucker, so if you've been aching to hear me say a bunch of words about playing Mass Effect 2 twenty months after the rest of the world finished it, that'd be the place to go, I guess.

Lastly, I can't say enough how much I appreciate you guys giving us a chance this year. The response to the podcasts, the Metagame videos and everything else we did was positive far beyond our expectations. You like us! You really like us! For that, we will keep you in our hearts forever.

All right, I've got a undergraduate research class to get ready for and some goddamned anime to watch, so I guess I'll end this here. Thanks to Whiskey for a kickass summer and all of you for being the best damn video game community I even know of. Peace, homies!

babylonian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By babylonian

Look. I know my internship ended three weeks ago, okay? I know that. But I promise, there's a really good reason this post took so long.

I was developing these photos.

Okay, now that I've got that out of the way: my Whiskey Media internship ruled. It was the most fun, exhausting, and productive summer I've ever had. Going in, I was a bit nervous for about a trillion reasons, not the least of which was the fact that I'd never worked a full-time, nine-to-five job in my life. My concerns were unfounded (in this case, at least), because the time flew. Coming into work every day was a treat - I got to share a desk (and an awesome boss) with three really passionate, hilarious co-interns, none of whom I knew when I began but all of whom I was joking around with within hours of arriving.

No Caption Provided

Like I said in my Day 1 post, the other 'terns went out of their way to make me feel welcome. I had no idea whether or not I'd get along with Ethan's other hires (except Ben, whose username is a Tim and Eric reference, so we were destined to be BFFs), but things turned out beautifully. I've got mad love for all these fellas and I can't wait to see 'em again.

Looking back over my two months on the Best Coast, I feel incredibly proud of what we got done. In case you aren't aware, we churned out quite a bit of content this summer in addition to our typical behind-the-scenes site duties. All of our videos, podcasts and more have been organized for your convenience in this thread by user alistercat. Thanks, alistercat!

Readjusting to school life has been pretty painless - I loved SF, but I also love it here in Asheville. Really, the two cities are remarkably similar: Asheville's kind of just San Francisco, except smaller and with awful public transportation, less to do, and worse food. Okay, I'm mostly kidding, but this last year of college is shaping up to be just a little bit less exciting than working at the greatest place in the world. There is light at the end of the tunnel, though.

Basically: San Francisco is an amazing city, Whiskey Media is an amazing company, and I can't wait to get back to both.

What am I getting at? Ben totally let slip that both of us are coming back in Summer 2012 as Kingterns. Kingterns! Unbelievable! I've never really been clear on what it means to be a Kingtern, exactly, but rest assured that this means there will be, among other things, more Internal Affairs on the way.

No Caption Provided

As for me, I'm doing everything I can to stay sharp against the doldrums of public university education. For me, right now, that means writin' about anime. You heard right: I'm a guest contributor to Anime Vice now! I've written twoarticles so far (my first-ever written material for a Whiskey site!) chronicling my journey through a show called Bakemonogatari, and it's seriously been a blast. I'm also still tweeting like a motherfucker, so if you've been aching to hear me say a bunch of words about playing Mass Effect 2 twenty months after the rest of the world finished it, that'd be the place to go, I guess.

Lastly, I can't say enough how much I appreciate you guys giving us a chance this year. The response to the podcasts, the Metagame videos and everything else we did was positive far beyond our expectations. You like us! You really like us! For that, we will keep you in our hearts forever.

All right, I've got a undergraduate research class to get ready for and some goddamned anime to watch, so I guess I'll end this here. Thanks to Whiskey for a kickass summer and all of you for being the best damn video game community I even know of. Peace, homies!

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By benpack
No Caption Provided
Clubvodka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Clubvodka

Can't wait! You were always my favourite, Nick!

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By sirdesmond

I thought you were great on Bytejacker, starting coming to GB after that went on hiatus, and was pumped to see that you were here! It'll be great to have you guys back and to get more Internal Affairs in the future since it was absolutely hysterical every time. Let's just hope we can keep the Ben, Nick, Kessler, and Steve lineup, but really, I'll happily take whatever we can get. Also, I like that this post is "related to" Anime Freak FX Vol. 4.

@GlenTennis: This pleases me.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Turambar

There can't be two kingterns, one of you guys are gonna have to be the queentern.  I say you rock paper scissor for it.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Vexxan

There can only be one kingtern, only one who can bend the others to his will.

And he does not share...poweeer!

Love that you guys are coming back, now we just gotta wait for Summer 2012.

Pop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Pop

Oh so that's where Ben's username comes from, I was sort of wondering about that. I really like the pics they're awesome!

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Great!

evilmax17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By evilmax17

Really happy to hear the news. You guys all made a great team.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Animasta

@Turambar said:

There can't be two kingterns, one of you guys are gonna have to be the queentern. I say you rock paper scissor for it.

princetern, maybe.

also when you get back you better do more romancecast

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mrfluke

@GlenTennis: you win, best post of the day XD

A_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By A_Dog

Anime's for....

Sorry.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

@GlenTennis said:

No Caption Provided

KING-FUCKING-TERN

chogi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By chogi

I liked you. But then I found out you were a jerk.

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By cooljammer00

So fucking jelly.

Anyway, those photos make the WM office seem danker than I bet they really are. Also those cool exposure tricks, on purpose or a mistake?

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By cornbredx

So you know.... you said you're coming back in Summer 2011.

Now I aint a wizard, but this suggests you have discovered time travel and all along you were interning from the future. I KNEW IT!

But... shhh don't tell anybody =P

babylonian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By babylonian

@chogi said:

I liked you. But then I found out you were a jerk.

Anime is for jokes!

@CornBREDX said:

So you know.... you said your coming back in Summer 2011.

Now I aint a wizard, but this suggests you have discovered time travel and all along you were interning from the future. I KNEW IT!

But... shhh don't tell anybody =P

Good catch! I just fixed it.

@cooljammer00 said:

So fucking jelly.

Anyway, those photos make the WM office seem danker than I bet they really are. Also those cool exposure tricks, on purpose or a mistake?

It's a cool exposure trick! What you do is take a disposable camera, take a picture, don't wind it, prime the flash, then slam the camera really hard into your hand or a wall or something. The flash will go off a second time and the shutter will open just long enough for a second exposure. It's fun!

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

How did you manage the travel and living arrangements going from North Carolina to San Fran? I've always thought about the Whiskey Media internship but living on the East Coast makes it seem impossible.

Also, congrats on the Kingternship!

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By cooljammer00

@FinalDasa said:

How did you manage the travel and living arrangements going from North Carolina to San Fran? I've always thought about the Whiskey Media internship but living on the East Coast makes it seem impossible.

Also, congrats on the Kingternship!

Pfft, after all these interns are coming back next year, there isn't gonna be space for anyone new.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By damswedon
No Caption Provided
defe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By defe

Good to hear you're coming back next summer, Nick. Until then, I hope your travels in college see you well.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#23  Edited By Video_Game_King

Kingtern? Maybe I should jump on down to Earth and try this shit out.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#24  Edited By Claude

Looking forward to the Kingterns next year. You guys were great. I'll go outside now and yell "hello" from Hickory, maybe you'll hear me in Asheville.

PatVB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PatVB

Yay, I'm glad to hear that you and Ben are coming back!

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By ThePickle

Ben is the only intern deserving of the Kingtern title. He's actually funnier than some people on the staff.

Avatar image for lemmycaution217
Lemmycaution217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By Lemmycaution217

Those double exposure with Big Ben and Kessler is great.

1p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By 1p

I don't like you!

OK, i like you. But only if Romancecast 2012 is going to be a thing. Otherwise i really don't like you.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By tebbit

I'd better start working on that Internal Affairs Season 2 theme. Think Radiohead meets Nikki Minaj.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By frankxiv

they need like another step up the intern ladder past kingtern. you guys pumped out quality content like crazy

Wonloong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Wonloong

Those pictures looks vintagely awesome! Looks like you had fun as well as gained some experiences.

Good luck in your future endevours, interns!

JayDee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By JayDee

you da bess.

Thor_Molecules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Thor_Molecules

Those are some nasty looking photos. Looks like you took half of them in some kind of underground basement straight out of silent hill.

Still, very excited for you guys to return. I expect photoshopped images of you guys wearing crowns and capes any day now.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#34  Edited By Undeadpool

Dag yo! Congrats on coming back as a Kingtern! Oh and this job has ruined all other jobs for you, so there's that...

joshth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By joshth

Great to hear your'e coming back! You're living the dream! :)

Sander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Sander

Good to hear but what will Whiskey Media do without you?

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By unsolvedparadox

@damswedon said:

No Caption Provided

Best Reference Ever!