• 69 results
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#51  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

If MS were to get behind XNA properly, and promote the good ones, then it probably would be economically viable. Although I do agree that trying to make money from an XNA game is kinda missing the point of XNA.

piropeople13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By piropeople13

Um, I am not a programmer, but if i were going to make a small, independant game with low hardware req, I would not do it on XNA.  People don't buy a 360 on for community games, in fact, before I read this article, I thought community games were all controller rumblers and fish tanks.

Jeff, perhaps these developers were thinking this could be like the iPhone App Store.  But Apple gives 70% of the revenue to the developer of the gaame on the app store, so you make way more money per sale there than anywhere else (except Stardock's Impulse) to the best of my knowledge.  Plus, people love cheap, silly things on their phones, not on their game console.

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#53  Edited By FlipperDesert

I've never even found the community games section on my Xbox.

Take that as you will.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By The_A_Drain
@piropeople13 said:
"Um, I am not a programmer, but if i were going to make a small, independant game with low hardware req, I would not do it on XNA.  People don't buy a 360 on for community games, in fact, before I read this article, I thought community games were all controller rumblers and fish tanks.Jeff, perhaps these developers were thinking this could be like the iPhone App Store.  But Apple gives 70% of the revenue to the developer of the gaame on the app store, so you make way more money per sale there than anywhere else (except Stardock's Impulse) to the best of my knowledge.  Plus, people love cheap, silly things on their phones, not on their game console."

They give 'up to' 70%, Microsoft do exactly the same with XNA.

XNA is a fantastic way for small teams to make indy games, as you can release the product on PC for free provided you don't charge for it (you have to do that through the community games service, which is also available online, not just on Xbox Live) so it's a great way for new/indy devs to get more experience. But you're right, it's not a great way to make money.
 Anyone who has the skills to be making high quality content should not be doing it with XNA (or rather, community games, the XNA framework itself is pretty good, and no more or less usable than any other engine or programming environment, schizoid was made with XNA, the only difference is the guys making it had the contacts/experience to get it into XBLA instead of community games, as they are industry vets)
Oy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#55  Edited By Oy

I think the name change to "Indie Games" shows that Microsoft may be changing their look at the whole thing. I hope so anyways.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By crunchUK

TO THE IPHONE APP LAND OF GLORIOUSNESS

evilcanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By evilcanadian

I actually just watched Falling Down yesterday, spooky timing!

JoeH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By JoeH

They should've done an iPhone App store model. Would have been better for everyone.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#59  Edited By Jayzilla

no, i disagree. you should make a ton of money with these games. look at all the movie tie-in video games that they make! those are 99% utter crap and they make fortunes off of the cattle!

demonstration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#60  Edited By demonstration
CozyMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By CozyMachine

Clover is an ugly game, it wouldn't do that well in any market.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#62  Edited By Kohe321

Iphone is the place for this

abomstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By abomstar

Score! Fallingdown is my favorite film about Michael Douglas.

darkjester74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By darkjester74

I've never understood the point of Community Games myself.  I checked out perhaps a half dozen titles or so, and I never looked back.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Media_Master

I remember that movie

HDCase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By HDCase
@darkjester74: Did you try Groov, that game was cool.
sneaky77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By sneaky77

I think Giantbomb should do a video feature about community games on a weekly-bi-weekly basis. Some of them are worth the $5 some of them aren't, is not meant to be a huge money maker. But is very hard to see which ones are worth it and I don't have time to play them all. The XNA show by nickthedude is pretty good.

darkjester74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By darkjester74
@HDCase: Can't say that I have, since I've never heard of it.  What's Groov about?
HDCase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By HDCase
@darkjester74: Basically it's a twin stick shooter like Geometry Wars, the hook though it that every shot you take and every enemy you kill makes a different synth sound. The end result is that just by playing you end up making some pretty cool music, try the trial version. The full version is very cheap, only 200 points I believe.