New Leisure Suit Larry trailer - watch if you want your brain to jump out a high rise.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#1  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

For those unaware, the first two Leisure Suit Larry games were interesting (and to ten year old me, entertaining) takes on the adventure game genre featuring a guy who tried to hit on a bunch of women, usually without luck. Later games continued to devolve until people who liked the original two (all right, so adult me still is fairly entertained by LSL 1 & 2) were pretty much ready for ol' Larry Laffer to die of venereal disease.

Well, there's a new Leisure Suit Larry and this trailer makes me hate it straight from the first word out of Larry's mouth. Don't watch this. Seriously. Don't. If your soul at all loves goodness and kindness and everything right about games and the world, for the love of God, close this browser window, start a bonfire, turn off your computer, and offer it up as a sacrificial offering to the game gods so that shit like this never sees the light of day again.

Hey, I warned you.

Fans of good old Sierra adventure games, of whom I suspect there are roughly ten of us left, there's going to be a meeting in the old elementary school with punch and cookies and tissues for our sobs of pain and suffering. Together, we shall get through the grieving process.

Also, holy shit, John Hannah should sue.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 212

#2 Mento  Moderator

It's still going for that so timely Swery pun for its title I see. What's the next one going to be called? Bedly Proposition?

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

In game Timber app.

I want to see Vinny take Dan, Abby and Alex through the Leisure Suit Larry games.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

@mento: That's way too good for this series.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I liked Love for Sail, because it was playfully sexy with hints of sad desperation, with some -- dare I say it -- real pathos and life metaphors weaved in its cartoony ridiculousness, not dissimilar to those overt Crumb strips. At his best, Larry was sort of the anti-Woody Allen: a social failure who didn't know why. There was a sense of relief whenever he failed because it was like an inner, baser instinct men may all have being dominated and stepped on by ridiculous dream girls, and it only works when he fails. Even when he succeeds it needs to end badly. Cathartic and funny at the time, yes, but ultimately outdated and pathetic as a collection now, as it strayed further and further from satire into its own shitty reality.

This doesn't look like the worst thing ever, but it doesn't look like it tries to even excuse its own existence, or strive to maximize the genuinely good things about some of the games and show it off in the trailer, so I must give kudos for the DGAF nature of it, it just is. It is . . . embarrassing.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By ShaggE

Oh. Fuck. This.

The game title got a smirk out of me (mostly out of surprise... what an odd reference to make), but that trailer is comedy poison. I can't wait for "iBone" jokes and the like. And what the hell were they thinking with that voice!? Yeah, Larry should sound annoying, but if the player can't stand listening to him...

Why do they keep trying to make LSL a thing again? Even when the series was good, it wasn't *that* good. Bring back a Sierra property worth bringing back, dammit. Shivers 3 won't make itself! (I kid, but also not really... I'd slam the preorder button on a Shivers 3 any day)

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge: We do have a good modern day take on Quest for Glory.

It's called Skyrim.

Bam.

billymaysrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Compared to the recent polygonal ones, this looks miles better. At the least the women in the trailer don't look like aliens.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@billymaysrip: Well, there was the recent-ish remake of LSL1, captained by Paul Trowe, who was shortly thereafter convicted of a sex crime, so.... modern LSL has a just sterling track record.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's called Skyrim.

Bam.

Ayyyyy! *finger guns*

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

Not that I'm defending LSL, but there's barely anything to this trailer, certainly not enough to say definitively that it's going to be a huge piece of shit. At least I don't think the art looks terrible?

@mento said:

It's still going for that so timely Swery pun for its title I see. What's the next one going to be called? Bedly Proposition?

"Did you see that, Zach? F U C K... in the coffee."

I would rather have, uh....Pie Friction personally.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ares42

@sparky_buzzsaw said:

It's called Skyrim.

Bam.

Quest for Glory is like the grandfather of the entire triple-A open world cascade of games we see very year at this point. Not that I'm complaining, I played those games to death in my youth and still love the concept.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

@ares42: Agreed. I still greatly love the first and fourth games of that series. I'm just funnin'.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I think this with a lot of things, but I legitimately don't know who the hell the target audience for a modern Leisure Suit Larry game is, or how you could make that character and that premise work in the year Two Thousand and Eighteen. Like, how many people are clamoring for another entry from a series entirely based around how creepy and pathetic the main character is?

It's called Skyrim.

Bam.

So, uh, speaking of that, you play any Hero U Sparky? I know how excited you were about it.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arbitrarywater: I played through the prologue and didn’t find much there that really endeared itself to me. Still, I backed that thing purely on the excitement of giving the Coles money and for that I have zero regrets.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

I think this with a lot of things, but I legitimately don't know who the hell the target audience for a modern Leisure Suit Larry game is, or how you could make that character and that premise work in the year Two Thousand and Eighteen. Like, how many people are clamoring for another entry from a series entirely based around how creepy and pathetic the main character is?

I think a modern day Johnny Bravo character in a video game could not only work, but in today's gaming climate is something that should be considered. Not to get all political with my reasoning, but let's just say creepy perverts getting their comeuppance could be cathartic if done well. Maybe I'm crazy, but Johnny Bravo basically taught me during my teen years that trying to hit on women isn't a nice thing to do during the 90s when such things were encouraged. But who knows.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

That trailer is not the worst thing in the world.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#19  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@sparky_buzzsaw: Can definitely understand that feeling. I've definitely been underwhelmed by a lot of stuff I've backed over the years, but I'm at least glad that the people behind them tried. Well, maybe I'm still a little salty about how Torment: Tides of Numenera turned out, but that game put that burden on itself by trying to follow-up one of the greatest and most singular RPGs ever made.

@shivermetimbers said:
@arbitrarywater said:

I think a modern day Johnny Bravo character in a video game could not only work, but in today's gaming climate is something that should be considered. Not to get all political with my reasoning, but let's just say creepy perverts getting their comeuppance could be cathartic if done well. Maybe I'm crazy, but Johnny Bravo basically taught me during my teen years that trying to hit on women isn't a nice thing to do during the 90s when such things were encouraged. But who knows.

I can see that to a certain extent, but I'm to understand the whole thing with Leisure Suit Larry has always been about how much of a pathetic loser he is. I could see that being played up even more for this one, but I think the only way I'd be able to take this seriously is if there was a 45 minute Women's Studies lecture on "why this is not okay" every time Larry did something creepy, or like... he's actually the villain of the story. I'm sort of reminded about how people were talking about Duke Nukem around the time DNF came out. i.e. you can't play the character straight at all if you don't want people to cringe or roll their eyes the entire time.

NowSayPillow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm so glad you posted this thing you don't want anyone to watch... This is how the Streisand effect works.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5d5f33a6b34f9
deactivated-5d5f33a6b34f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The art looks fucking terrible, wow. Larry looks like a meth head lmao.
LSL was always the worst part about Sierra, or one of. Just let this incredibly lame series of games die already.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

Oh god Sparky, that was somehow worse than I expected

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By John1912

Well I have never been a huge fan of LSL, or point and click adventure games in general, but at least it back to basics point and click adventure game, and not the trash they put out for that one console version. Friends girlfriend in college loved these games as a kid I guess. Most the games have had a odd charm about them.

Never been big on point and click adventure games as its mainly about seeing what shenanigans your char gets into which is great, but fuck if I could ever finish one with out getting stuck, and have to look up how to solve half the puzzles.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

@slag: It's like an armpit and a sphincter made the world's stinkiest baby.