Cards Against Humanity is digging a tremendous hole.

• 136 results
Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Rahf

Love the reactions. It's like the Andy Kaufman biopic Man on the Moon come to life.

Avatar image for washablemarkers
washablemarkers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I am literally crying thinking of all the money they wasted that could be going to woke shit.

To be fair, they're only wasting the money for the land and to employ the workers who are digging. The money for the hole is coming from the people. Those are the people who could be giving their spare change to any number of progressive causes and instead are throwing it into a hole because the internet told them to.

I think it's pretty clever, and watching them dig is very relaxing.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By pompouspizza

I get it and I think it's hilarious/sad that people are throwing money at this and essentially proving the point they are trying to make but I think it's really stupid and not in a good way.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope they reach China ...

Also next time should think about using heavier tools for the job.

No Caption Provided

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By soulcake
Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it commentary on America, the Holidays or Capitalism? Sometimes it's hard to tell with art house projects.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I just can't stop thinking about the logistics of this and how expensive it is. Presumably this is someone's lands so they would have to have permission or have paid for it somehow? Or is a permit involved?! And how did they get these drivers to agree to this?! Having trucks out + drivers per hour is not cheap either! Unless these guys were digging a hole anyways and they just paid to film it?!

They buy the land, get a permit for the construction, and hire a construction company. I am sure there was plenty of paper work to go through, but it's not the logistical nightmare you are making it seem like.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just realized, but how do we know this is live? Have we seen anyone from CAH in the feed? How do we know this isnt some recording for some other construction? Is vape made of chemtrails?

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@ssully said:
@lanechanger said:

I just can't stop thinking about the logistics of this and how expensive it is. Presumably this is someone's lands so they would have to have permission or have paid for it somehow? Or is a permit involved?! And how did they get these drivers to agree to this?! Having trucks out + drivers per hour is not cheap either! Unless these guys were digging a hole anyways and they just paid to film it?!

They buy the land, get a permit for the construction, and hire a construction company. I am sure there was plenty of paper work to go through, but it's not the logistical nightmare you are making it seem like.

That can't be cheap though!

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From the site.

Why aren’t you giving all this money to charity?

Why aren’t YOU giving all this money to charity? It’s your money.

What if you dig so deep you hit hot magma?

At least then we’d feel something.

Not a big fan of CAH (personally I think that the cards are far too biased towards really easy crude jokes) but I have no idea why people think that this steps over the line on Black Friday. They've made it pretty obvious that the hole digging will stop if the money stops coming in. This could've ended within one hour.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Got absolutely nothing against it. True, my ignorance is bliss. But it seems a Punjii pit for internet vitriol.

Having said that, yeah its kind of strange. I'd spend my laffy money on something with more result. The recent for the children donation thing comes to mind.

Hey, but wait a minute...This is Art!

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By cmblasko

@lanechanger said:

You have to keep in mind that these are the same guys that purchased an island and divided it up into thousands of sections one year and bought a castle another. Also, they spun off a shipping and packaging company from CAH so logistics is kind of their thing.

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just looks like they're building a burrow pit. What's the problem?

AngriGhandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After all this division and sadness in the world, I'm glad someone could find a way to make us hole.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@ssully said:
@lanechanger said:

That can't be cheap though!

Of course not. It was probably 50k or less to secure the land and permit. The construction company is being paid by whatever people donate.

Cretaceous_Bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Cretaceous_Bob

I thought this was silly and mildly amusing until I read the rest of the comments here. Now I think it's hilarious and I hope it goes on forever.

MVHVTMV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think this is dumb, but in a good way. I'm not going to donate to this, but I'll bet most of the people who say "I'd rather give my money to something more worthwhile" aren't actually going to give their money to some other legitimately useful cause.

Yeah sure, it's not much more than a shallow criticism of capitalism, but it's not *nothing*. At worst the money isn't actually going into a hole, but the owners/operators of this machinery. This thing is currently at around $90k and it's not looking like it's going to go on for much longer, compare that to other (also practically useless) events purely about spectacle, like here in Perth we have a yearly fireworks show that lasts for 30 minutes, and costs upwards of half a million (tax) dollars every year. People like looking at the fireworks show, and people like the hole being dug.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#71  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

Max Temkin continues to throw away money just to make shallow social commentary instead of donating it to causes and try to actually make a difference, what a shock.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#72  Edited By Blackout62

If nothing else Max probably had to/promised to pay big to convince a company to not stop digging until he told them they could.

Avatar image for anonymous_jesse
Anonymous_Jesse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TechnoSyndrome: it's other people's money. His not telling them to give it to him. Why aren't they giving it to charity?

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#74  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Holy shit they're still digging it. XD Well I hope they find what they're looking for. No harm in digging a hole I guess.

dprotp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By dprotp

@anonymous_jesse said:

@TechnoSyndrome: it's other people's money. His not telling them to give it to him. Why aren't they giving it to charity?

straight from the Holiday Hole FAQ:

Why aren’t you giving all this money to charity?

Why aren’t YOU giving all this money to charity? It’s your money.

also this

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#77  Edited By imsh_pl

I mean, it's a great jobs program.

The_Tribunal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: ACLU donations and safety pins. I love Disgruntled Temkin.

Avatar image for james_ex_machina
James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I hoping they dig deep enough that they will find the unreleased Giant Bomb versions of CAH...

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Wow, some ludicrously salty folks are sprinkled throughout this thread.

Make America Hole Again.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By BrainScratch

@TechnoSyndrome said:

Max Temkin continues to throw away money just to make shallow social commentary instead of donating it to causes and try to actually make a difference, what a shock.

*sigh* have you even read previous comments or did any kind of research to back up your claims?

Here it is:

@the_nubster said:

They've probably done more for charity and worthwhile organisations than 99% of companies ever will so I'm totally okay with their dumb hole.

It's incredible to me that so many people are so outwardly angry/disappointed about this. It's a silly hole that's being made with donations, they're being 100% honest and upfront about what it is, and they're not promising anything more or less than exactly what they're delivering on. Even if you don't find it funny, which is totally understandable, the worst it deserves is indifference.

The best thing about this is how everyone is getting mad about it. Saying it's bad art, shallow social commentary or that it's public spectacle in guise of charity or whatever and just completely missing the point and making the whole thing much more hilarious. It's just a hole. Nothing more, nothing less. I personally consider it just a really fun goof but after this, and since the objective of (modern) art is to create discussion and reactions, I guess this hole is reaching some artistic merit. Well done internet, you've turned it into exactly what you were complaining about.

Anyway, let's lighten up. Here's the Giant Bomb crew playing Cards Against Humanity, I still love these two funny videos:

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

Avatar image for dancinginfernal
dancinginfernal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought this was silly and mildly amusing until I read the rest of the comments here. Now I think it's hilarious and I hope it goes on forever.

Same here. The fact that people are legitimately upset over this hole makes me hope they never stop digging.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By damodar

I guess it's all down to interpretation, but it feels like there are more comments in this thread about how ridiculous it is that everyone is so angry about this than there are comments that actually seem that annoyed? To me, the majority of negative comments just read as it's not the good kind of dumb, it's just dumb. Most don't seem that annoyed, they just don't think it's funny. Which is a perfectly valid opinion here, it doesn't automatically make somebody a curmudgeon, or mean that the dumb thing in question is necessarily subversive or anything. There might even be a little bit of defensiveness the other way, because nobody likes being told a thing they find amusing isn't actually funny.

But also, by putting some consideration into my post on this matter, I can't help but feel like I got played. Like a gosh-darn fiddle.

The obvious evolution for this thread now is for it to fill with comments about how there are way more comments in this thread about how ridiculous it is that everyone is so angry about this than there are comments that actually seem that annoyed.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When the hell did people here turn hard on Temkin/CAH all of a sudden.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

When the hell did people here turn hard on Temkin/CAH all of a sudden.

maybe it was the awful CAH part of the panel this year hahah.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60e701b849a
deactivated-5e60e701b849a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donchipotle: Even when Ryan was alive Temkin was controversial among the people here. Remember the pie down the toilet thing? And then there's the rape allegation against him, which made the GB dudes distance themselves from him for a while. This is not a new thing.

@damodar: No surprises there. He's a friend of the site so you can't voice any negative opinions you have about him without being called a salty baby or what have you.

DanishingAct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By DanishingAct

I like how on a site dedicated to having inconsequential dumb fun, people are annoyed at the idea of digging a hole. Everything about this seems silly in a totally harmless way. Although, I guess a few worms are put out by the whole thing.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

As their FAQ says:

Q: This is dumb. Why aren't you giving the money to charity?

A: Why aren't THEY giving the money to charity?

You can eyeroll all you like, this is ACTUAL social commentary.

Knowing how Max and the Cards Against Humanity folks are friends of the site, it always surprises me the amount of Giant Bomb users salty about Max and CAH. It's just a dumb funny card game from people doing stuff that amuses them and yet some people talk about it like they killed someone important. I just think it's hilarious. All of it.

Anyway, I was expecting the hole to be way deeper by now. Did they take a break or are they just making the hole wider to be easier to dig?

It's KEWWWWWWWWL to hate popular things.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@undeadpool: For me personally I just don't really like Max Temkin in a way that is hard to explain. It's nothing personal, I've never met the guy myself, but sometimes there is a person in a group that you simply don't get along with like the wavelengths are mismatched or something. Thats what it is for me. I'm not trying to be part of the "cool hating people crowd" or whatever. I'm also not taking away anything from all the good his company has done for charities. Sometimes people just don't click, it happens, I assume thats what is happening for most people on this site as opposed to some strange vendetta or group think shenanigans.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

@humanity said:

@undeadpool: For me personally I just don't really like Max Temkin in a way that is hard to explain. It's nothing personal, I've never met the guy myself, but sometimes there is a person in a group that you simply don't get along with like the wavelengths are mismatched or something. Thats what it is for me. I'm not trying to be part of the "cool hating people crowd" or whatever. I'm also not taking away anything from all the good his company has done for charities. Sometimes people just don't click, it happens, I assume thats what is happening for most people on this site as opposed to some strange vendetta or group think shenanigans.

Oh I agree, the guy seems a bit high on his own fumes in a way I personally find insufferable, and in a way that could 100% dissolve if I spent any time with him, but you've compartmentalized it to an ACTUAL feeling, not just blindly lashing out at whatever his company does reflexively and I think that's where the "Thing is popular->I am critical thinker->I hate popular thing" becomes far, FAR more insufferable for me.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@undeadpool: Sure I can completely see how hyperbolic reactions to this stuff can lead to that sort of reasoning which I likewise find quite insufferable.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I assume the next step will be to fill it up again.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CAH has raised millions of dollars for many different charities. wtf are you talking about?

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

i always feel like the diameter of holes is too large if the goal is to make it deep. Like this hole fits 20 of those machines.

strings19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By strings19

O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hole!

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm baffled that a bunch of people are donating their money towards this. It's not even funny, it's just bewildering.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Hey, the hole got bigger.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers