Cards Against Humanity is digging a tremendous hole.

• 136 results
Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Man, remember when this site used to be fun?

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Loading Video...

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

My hot take: This just seems wasteful.

Not in a "Ha Ha, I'm going to help fund this potato salad Kickstarter" or in an "lol, they're actually going to make a Shenmue III, sure I'll throw away some money on this" sort of thing. I know the point behind this is that in fact this thing is worthless, but I typically prefer something more tangible for more worthless back projects. Things like that one $0.01 check I received from my mutual fund based on a technicality, or all of those HD DVDs I sent to my brother who never owned an HD DVD player, or the existence of Shenmue III.

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread is a great reminder of why stopping to use the GiantBomb website, watching a Quicklook video once in a while on YouTube, and listening to the podcast really is the best way to enjoy GiantBomb nowadays.

Also how is paying $5 a month to watch people play Mario Party, any different then paying X dollars to watch someone dig a whole in the ground. I'd say both are equivalent in quality of entertainment, and at least the hole has a greater potential to be proved useful.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This thread is a great reminder of why stopping to use the GiantBomb website, watching a Quicklook video once in a while on YouTube, and listening to the podcast really is the best way to enjoy GiantBomb nowadays.

Also how is paying $5 a month to watch people play Mario Party, any different then paying X dollars to watch someone dig a whole in the ground. I'd say both are equivalent in quality of entertainment, and at least the hole has a greater potential to be proved useful.

Just think of all the bodies you could put in that hole.

hnke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was on board with this until I realized they don't seem to actually be digging any deeper, they're just making the "hole" wider. I know my holes and that's not a hole, that's just an area of slightly lower elevation.

betaband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, at least you're not bitter.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@beaudacious said:

Also how is paying $5 a month to watch people play Mario Party, any different then paying X dollars to watch someone dig a whole in the ground.

Woah, I've never thought about it that way. How is that different exactly? Geez, there really is no difference, you're totally right.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bah, that's not a hole! This is a hole:

Loading Video...

Those CAH people need to stop mucking about and go full Soviet on this. Stop buying islands and castles and beat Brezhnev at his own game!

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#116  Edited By doctordonkey

So once the hole is fully dug out and what not, can we start throwing nickles into the hole? I want to see this go all the way, I want a 200k dollar hole filled with 2 million dollars worth of nickles, by the people, for the people.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is going on in this thread and also what is going on in real life

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread digging its own hole along with the CAH hole?

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@ivdamke said:

This thread digging its own hole along with the CAH hole?

I think our hole went deeper than the CAH hole since yesterday.

Who would have thought that a hole would bring so much tension and controversy?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#121 chaser324  Moderator

Folks, this is a thread about people digging a hole in the ground. It's not a thread about politics or the personal lives of people that work at Cards Against Humanity.

Get back on solid footing or otherwise this thread is going to end up six feet under.

InfamousOnager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If i got upset every time i thought someone was wasting their money I'd be in a state of constant misery.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The hole doesn't seem super deep. If i threw money at it, i would demand a refund!

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get back on solid footing or otherwise this thread is going to end up six feet under.

Booooooooooo.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea, I'm a little disappointed it didn't go deeper since the website says it'll get deeper the longer they did it. Instead it just turned into an unfinished pool.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea, I'm a little disappointed it didn't go deeper since the website says it'll get deeper the longer they did it. Instead it just turned into an unfinished pool.

Unfinished EX of the Cards pool incoming.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#129 sweep  Moderator

@korwin said:

Just think of all the bodies you could put in that hole.

Alright I'm back in.

CDUB901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Max Temkin continues to throw away money just to make shallow social commentary instead of donating it to causes and try to actually make a difference, what a shock.

Acutally no. Max Temkin threw away no money here. The people did. It even says on the site basically that if we think this money should be donated to charity then that's what we should do is donate it to charity. Not this hole.

CAH has no problems with coming right out and saying the things they do are stupid. They know damn well it is, but people keep on giving them money for it. So, as a collective, why aren't WE ALL donating to causes and charity to make a difference? Why do we have to give money to Max Temkin and CAH so that they can donate it when we could just donate ourselves directly?

The problem here isn't with Max, CAH or even this hole. It's with the people that keep funding it. If the people don't fund it then the hole would have never happened.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cdub901 said:
@TechnoSyndrome said:

Max Temkin continues to throw away money just to make shallow social commentary instead of donating it to causes and try to actually make a difference, what a shock.

Acutally no. Max Temkin threw away no money here. The people did. It even says on the site basically that if we think this money should be donated to charity then that's what we should do is donate it to charity. Not this hole.

CAH has no problems with coming right out and saying the things they do are stupid. They know damn well it is, but people keep on giving them money for it. So, as a collective, why aren't WE ALL donating to causes and charity to make a difference? Why do we have to give money to Max Temkin and CAH so that they can donate it when we could just donate ourselves directly?

The problem here isn't with Max, CAH or even this hole. It's with the people that keep funding it.If the people don't fund it then the hole would have never happened.

:O I think I just gotit. All this time we were looking at a big hole, but the social commentary was us the whole time.

But really, this entire endeavour is dumb and amazing and no one should be upset about it. Digging a giant hole is probably one of the most innocuous things ever. Money goes toward dumb things all the time, and if we were magically able to add it all up and retroactively put it toward something important we probably could've cured every disease and fed every hungry person several times over. But you know what? We can't control it. People will do all kinds of things with their money, and that's just fine. What's most important is what you do. Take that first step yourself and try and make a change for the better. Worrying what others do will only cause you sadness.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to say that this is a fantastic piece of parody at the world of crowd funding and understanding where your money goes. I cannot fault the Cards people for being as transparent with their ideas as they have been.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60e701b849a
deactivated-5e60e701b849a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If this is a social commentary then it's a bad one. Because the message they try to communicate to people is lost on said people. Sure you can pat yourself on the back thinking you're so smart for understanding the deepness and all but this is still just a 'super hilarious' joke to most. That's why this went on for so long. Or maybe this is how social commentaries work?

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stupid publicity stunt seems to be working as intended. Still not enough to make me want to play the game again after burning out on it a few years ago.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#135  Edited By LackingSaint

The hole is dumb in a dumb way, but people getting mad at the hole is dumb in a fantastic way.

Screw you, hole! You could have been charity!

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By BladedEdge

Does it really shock anyone that people are willing to put money behind their own sense of humor, irony or just out of plain stupidity? Like, what is being accomplished here seems entirely pointless. It speaks to no one, says nothing, advances no causes and isn't relevant to anyone beyond those few who seem to want to spend their cash in that way.

Which is fine? People waste their money on all kinds of things that meet all of those criteria. But when the CAH people have become "That group that gets paided to do stupid stuff, ironically in the pop-culture sense..yah. It all scream hipster to me, like in a bad way.

Its like "Hey we are making a point, we told them what they were getting, arn't we clever for making them look stupid/teaching them a lesson!" and..no, no you just convinced some people to pay you to do something dumb. Nothing more or less. Now hey, if the CAH people and the people who fund these kinds of things get a kick out of it, who am I to say they should stop.

That said, I am in my right to call them out for exploiting stupidity. If there is some kind of point or message to any of this it's clearly a failed attempt at getting it across.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Corwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cdub901 said:

The problem here isn't with Max, CAH or even this hole. It's with the people that keep funding it. If the people don't fund it then the hole would have never happened.

So what you are saying is that CAH is taking advantage of their "dumb" audience knowing they would be dumb enough to prolong this thing? Got it.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By stryker1121

People can spend their money how they please, but it's depressing to see hundreds of dollars in individual donations being thrown at the irl equivalent of a South Park episode. I have not seen an answer to this yet, but what does the money actually go to?

EDIT: So the dollars are just going into the manpower/equipment of digging the hole? OK, whatevs. The type of lazy cynicism that birthed this idea just bores me to death, both from Temkin's part and that of the donors. If that makes me a salty stick-up-the ass, so fooking be it!

jeddy201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By jeddy201
@magmamud said:
@beaudacious said:

Also how is paying $5 a month to watch people play Mario Party, any different then paying X dollars to watch someone dig a whole in the ground.

Woah, I've never thought about it that way. How is that different exactly? Geez, there really is no difference, you're totally right.

@corwag said:

@cdub901 said:

So what you are saying is that CAH is taking advantage of their "dumb" audience knowing they would be dumb enough to prolong this thing? Got it.

Also this is such a useless copout. Like yeah people are funding and CAH isn't directly spending money, but they directly set this up and promoted it? If I ask people to give me money to steal things and then I get arrested, I wouldn't be able to say that it's actually the people's fault for giving me money to do it.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

I love the idea. I'm super disappointed at the lack depth in the hole.

If I was given $100k, I would have probably dug a deeper hole than that with shovels.

SargeMcD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

that hole got dug

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

In all honesty, I'm not sure what's dumber...digging the hole or donating large sums of money to it. If you're going to throw money away why not just give it a shelter or something?

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

they should pull a switcheroo and turn it into a huge pool where they can go swimming in all the money

avenlaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Usually when CAH does things like that, it ends up having a huge donation at the end. They are probably making a small pond to beautify a run down park?

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know what's worst than being offended by pointless bullshit? Being offended at people being offended by pointless bullshit.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By jerseyscum

So we're now supposed to hate Max Temkin and Cards Against Humanity? I guess I missed that memo.

It's fun to be a virtue signaling, pious ass isn't it?

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

virtual signaling

... like ... like the Tron I/O tower?