How do you rank the Metal Gear games?

• 60 results
TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 34

With the news of Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain coming to Steam, plus just following Phantom Pain in general Metal Gear's been on my mind a lot lately, so I was curious how other people think the games stack up to each other. I'm only talking about the "main" games, as it's hard and irrelevant to compare games with completely different styles of gameplay like Rising or Acid. My list would go MGS3 > Ground Zeroes > Peace Walker > MG2 > MGS1 > MGS2 > MG1 > MGS4

Metal Gear Solid 3 is my absolute favorite due to the combination of story and gameplay. Everything about the mechanics from CQC to having to eat to survive combine to make this the most interesting Metal Gear to play.

Ground Zeroes is short but I think mechanically it's the most fun the series has ever been, so Phantom Pain has the potential to usurp Snake Eater as my favorite. Even in the small handful of missions included I managed to put well over 50 hours into the 360 version of Ground Zeroes.

Peace Walker I was down on at first, but as I played the game I came to really enjoy the mission based structure and base management aspects, and playing through the game co-op for the first time recently has been a lot of fun. The story is complete junk unfortunately, but the thing that keeps me coming back to Metal Gear games is the gameplay, not the story.

Metal Gear 2 I didn't play much of until recently when Legacy Collection came out and I replayed all the Metal Gear games, including playing through MG2 for the first time. I was surprised by how advanced the gameplay in Metal Gear 2 is for the time, and ended up fairly high up on my list.

Metal Gear Solid 1 I don't have much to say about, other than it's ridiculous how similar it is to Metal Gear 2. Both games have sections that drag, but I find MGS1 drags more than MG2.

Metal Gear Solid 2 fleshes out a lot of the mechanics from MGS1, but unfortunately the Big Shell is a really uninteresting and repetitive environment that just makes sneaking dull. I love the batshit insanity of the endgame, but it doesn't make up for the way the majority of Raiden's section drags along.

Metal Gear 1 I have the least to say about. It's primitive compared even to the other MSX Metal Gear game, but still fun.

Metal Gear Solid 4 is the polar opposite of 3. Both the worst story and gameplay in the series make it my least favorite entry. Though the controls were the best they'd ever been in the series, the level design in this game is just terrible. I can almost have fun at points in Act 1 and 2, but the majority of the game just feels poorly designed, and often like I'm not even playing a stealth game. On top of that the story is just offensively bad, and it's upsetting that this is still the canonical end to the series. (Well, the main story at least. Metal Gear Rising happening afterwards is pretty fantastic.)

So how about you guys? How would you rank the series, or at least the games you've played?

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Maaaaaan. Okay, I'm going to try.

I can't. Man, I dunno. It depends on what I'm ranking them by. Story? Game play? I could try to do an overall thing, but I can't. I love them all so much.

MGS4 is probably the best overall, but I think MGS1 has the best story, and MGSV (Ground Zeroes, and extrapolating Phantom Pain) has the best game play.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

@mooseymcman: It really depends on what you care about. My list is mainly about gameplay, though I mention story for the games where it really stands out to me.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

In order of what I've played.

1. Metal Gear Solid 3
  2. Metal Gear Solid 1 and 4
  3. Metal Gear Solid 2
GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

4, 2, 3, 1, Peace Walker. PW is the only one I'm kinda indifferent about. I really like 1 and 3 a whole lot, I just prefer 2 and 4.

DiamondDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

MGS2 = MGS1 > Peace Walker > MGS3 >> MGS4

Can't judge GZ as I haven't played it yet.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TechnoSyndrome: I should have mentioned that if Phantom Pain is as good as it looks like it will be, even if the story is complete garbage, it'll probably overtake the rest and be my favorite.

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm, I'll try

1. MGS3
  2. MGS1
  3. MGS4
  4. MGS2
  5. Ground Zeroes
  6. Peace Walker

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MGS3
MGS1
MGS2
MGS4
Peace Walker.

I haven't played Ground Zeroes yet, and PW/MGS4 might as well be the same rank. 3 is miles ahead of the pack.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Mgs 4

Mgs 1

Mgs 2

Mgs 3

Sorry if that is formatted weird. I'm on my phone.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only played 4. So it's my favorite

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3>4>2>1

snakeitachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MGS2

MGS4

MGS1

MGS3

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ezekiel

As a sequential pyramid, with MGS2 at the top.

MG < MG2 < MGS/TTS < MGS2 > MGS3 > MGS4 > MGS PW

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

For me probably goes (top = 1st):

Metal Gear Solid 3

Metal Gear Solid 1

Metal Gear Solid 4

Metal Gear 2 (original version)

Metal Gear 1

Metal Gear Solid 2

Metal Gear Twin Snakes

Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes

Metal Gear Peace Walker

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Metal Gear Acid 1

Metal Gear Acid 2

Metal Gear (Gameboy Color)

Meta Gear 2 (US NES version)

Metal Gear Solid 3 was probably my favorite cause it's story kinda matched the storyline. It had a certain amount of self awareness to it which made it funny and didn't take itself as serious as the previous game.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Vextroid

Metal Gear Solid 1 > Metal Gear Solid 2 >Metal Gear 2 > Metal Gear Solid 3 > Metal Gear Solid 4 > Metal Gear 1.

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

1. MGS4 was the first one I played and while I don't really think that game holds up gameplay-wise, it was still an amazing experience at the time since I knew basically nothing of the MGS-series. Such a delight.
  2. MGS3 doesn't really work a 100 percent, but the combat arenas are a lot better and more open than they are in MGS4, the bosses are memorable as hell and the relationship between Snake and Big Boss is so great.
  3. MGS: Ground Zeroes is the only one of the over-the-shoulder MGS games that doesn't have serious gameplay-issues. It's short, but I think the side-ops are varied enough to make up for the steep price-point. I really think it's a mistake though to switch Hayter with Bauer and I even like that actor. He just doesn't feel like Snake/Boss.
  4. MGS2 is by far the best playing of the bunch, yet I haven't finished it yet. Just... Nothing about the story graps me, and I'm about 10 hours in.
  5. MGS1 has been hard to go back to, not having any nostalgia for the series. I think it's the worst of the bunch story-wise and a lot of the abatrary bullshit puzzles aren't charming, they're just annoying. That and the map just isn't made for backtracking yet the game constantly forces you to backtrack. I'll probably still finish it.

FNGbomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. MGS2

Like Dan with the original MGS, this was the first one I played, and it had the same effect. It made me realize the potential of games as an artform with its impressivie cinematics that made me feel as if I were watching an awesome movie. With that it cemented me as a "real gamer"--before that I played only baby Nintendo games (sarcasm).

2. MGS3

Objectively the best one with a relatively more grounded story, added gameplay aspects like survival, not to mention some the most memorable boss fights in gaming.

3. Twin Snakes

To me, this is up there in quality as the Resident Evil remake. I tried going back to the original MGS after playing this first, but couldn't make it past the first Ocelot battle.

4. MGS4

I almost didn't finish this one, but in the end it was worth it for all the ridiculous moments.

I've played Ground Zeroes but I'd rather not compare it to these fuller games. I'll wait for the Phantom Pain before I do that.

Also, I can't wait for the upcoming MGS Endurance Run. :P

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

MGS2 - MGS3 - MGS1 - I REALLY WANT TO PLAY GROUND ZEROES!

jeddy201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Snake Eater

2. Peace Walker

3. Guns of the Patriots/Sons of Liberty

4. MGS1

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#21  Edited By obcdexter

My personal list looks like this ...

1. Snake Eater
2. Peace Walker
3. MGS1
4. MGS4
5. MGS2

Needless to say I am very excited about another entry in the "Big Boss"-saga, and if GZ is any indication (which it probably is) how TPP will end up "feeling", I am
confident it could top at least Peace Walker.

Dezztroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MGS3 is my favorite by far. Everything about it is just so great, but how does it taste?

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#23  Edited By Giantstalker

3 is simply great, 2 is so aggressively bad, and everything else falls in between.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MGS > Snake Eater > MGS2 > Peace Walker > MGS4.

Although I've barely played Peace Walker. Those bullet-sponge bosses.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Snake Eater

2. MGS 1

3. MGS 2

4. Ground Zeroes

5. MGS4

6. Reveangance .

7.. Peace Walker

8. Portable Ops

I found Peace Walker and Portable Ops to be complete unplayable garbage(checked PW out in the HD Collection after years of Greg Miller saying it was the greatest game of all time)

. And yes its tired and pointless to criticize a Metal Gear game for excessive cutscenes but looking back to 2009 when I played it my strongest memories/ feelings are

1. Wonder when I'm going to get to play this game for a significant chunk of time without story interuptions

2. Huh, Snake looks cool smoking in all these 10+ minute install screens

3. Wow Young Snake Mask that is amazing/genius

4. Shadow Moses and The Best Is Yet to Come w/ MGS1 graphics is great fan service, nostalgia boost!

5. Well that was a dumb and shitty showdown with Liquid Ocelot

6. Feel like I'm watching The F*cking Return of The King, when will this be the final "ending"

Not a whole lot of fond gameplay memories is the point anyway. Could have been so, so much better.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#26  Edited By FLStyle

Metal Gear Solid 3

Metal Gear Solid 1

Metal Gear Solid 2

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Metal Gear Solid 4

• 5/5

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops

• 4/5

Wraxend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

MGS1

MGS3

MGS:GZ

MGS4

MGS2

The odd numbered MGS's are the superior games in my eyes.

emoney244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3 > 1 > 2 > MG2 > PW > 4 > MG1 > PO

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Corevi
  1. MGS 3: had the best contained story in the series.
  2. MGR Revengeance: Platinum Games.
  3. MGS Peace Walker: solid story, fun gameplay and some of the dumbest codec calls in any Metal Gear.
  4. MGS 5: Ground Zeroes: short, sweet and to the point, mechanically the best stealth game ever made.
  5. MGS 1: amazing for it's time.
  6. MGS 4: beautiful graphically and extremely playable but the story is too set on tying up every single loose end.
  7. MG 2: the first very story heavy Metal Gear game and you kill Big Boss with an improvised flamethrower.
  8. MGS 2: incomprehensible story but a great improvement gameplay wise.
  9. MGS Portable Ops: garbage.
Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30  Edited By Nodima

1. MGS3: Just an exceptional thrill ride with a ton of then-novel mechanics and still-novel secrets.

2. MGS: One of the most surprising, baffling products ever put on a console.

3. MGS2: The most surprising, baffling product ever put on a console.

4. MGS: Ground Zeroes: A fun playground.

5. MGS4: A pretty game I beat in a single sitting because it's a MGS game and (until Phantom Pain which appears designed against such things ala GTA) that's just what I do with Metal Gear games. But also one of the greatest gaming disappointments I've ever had and a real bummer of a story that existed more as fan service than engaging narrative.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. MGS 3
  2. MGS 1
  3. MGS 2
  4. Every other Metal Gear game except MGS 4
  5. MGS clones
  6. Anything with word "metal" or "gear" on it (except MGS 4)
  7. Anything that could be confused of having "metal" or "gear" on it.
  8. MGS 4
mason20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mason20

Seems people are throwing their lists out so why not. I've only played pretty much the number and Msx games so from best to worst in my eyes.

MGS1, MGS2, MGS4(sad to see Ocelots' arm lose his english accent..), Revengence, MGS1 Twin Snakes, MG1, Ground Zero, MG2, and lastly MGS3.

Wow I'm surprised about how much love MGS3 has. I've never looked to much into what the fans felt about it but I thought it was one of the worst in terms of bosses, with MGS4 having the worst. I'm not trying to be that guy but the only bosses I enjoyed in MGS3 were The Pain, The Boss, and The End and the only good boss in MGS4 was Ocelot. I did not care for the B&B and just thought it was painful to deal with. While the bosses in MGS1 and 2 I'll always love.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sticking to the canon games;

3 > 4 (Yeah, controversial) > Peace Walker > Ground Zeroes > 2 > Rising > 1 > Portable Ops

Never played Metal Gear 1 or 2 so can't rank those.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

1. MGS2: A complete fever dream of a video game that totally resonated with me when I played it
  2. MGS 3: Probably the better overall game. Not a big fan of having to go into a menu every time I get hurt, but whatever.
  3. MGS 1: A little hard to go back to, but I understand why it's important
  4. Peace Walker: I liked building up my own mercenary base and the Monster Hunter style missions were neat, but I actively disliked a lot of the story and I think the bosses are actively terrible given the part where they're obviously meant to be fought in co-op.
  5. MGS4: Barely a video game, and the story tries too hard to conveniently wrap up every dangling plot thread to its own detriment. Also Nanomachines Control Everything.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

1. Metal Gear Solid
  2. Metal Gear 2
  3. Metal Gear
  4. Metal Gear AC!D
  5. Metal Gear Solid 2
  6. Metal Gear AC!D 2
  7. Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker
  8. Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
  9. Metal Gear Solid 4
  10. Metal Gear Solid 3

My list. Because I think the convoluted story with the Patriots and all the coincidences of how everyone is related to everything are just stupid.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

1. MGS1
  2. MGS4
  3. MGS3
  4. Peace Walker
  5. MGS2, MG1, MG2
  6. Portable Ops
recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#37  Edited By recroulette
  1. Metal Gear Solid 3
  2. Metal Gear Solid
  3. Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker
  4. Metal Gear Solid 2
  5. Metal Gear Solid 4

Don't really feel right ranking the rest.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1, 3, 2, 4.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BoOzak
  1. Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
  2. Metal Gear Solid
  3. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
  4. Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes
  5. Metal Gear Solid 4
  6. Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistance
  7. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
  8. Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes
  9. Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions

I didnt mark the original versions of 2&3 because they've become obsolete.

I do intend to play the original Metal Gears at some point but I doubt i'll play the AC!D games, or Portable Ops unless they make an HD version for current or last gen consoles.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By xyzygy

This is just of what I've played:

MGS2>MGS3>PW>MGS1>MGS4

lol at the almost universal placement of MGS4 at the bottom. Man that game stinks.

Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2 > 1 > 4

Never have played any of the others, but have always meant to go back and play 3.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#42  Edited By riostarwind  Moderator

1. MGS The game that started it all is still number one in my book.

2. MGS3 Big Boss's first foray into tactical espionage action was a notable one gameplay and story wise.

3. MGS4 It's crazy in all the right ways.

4. MGSGZ Control wise this might have just perfected stealth gameplay. At least it made it more fun to play.

5. MGR Yo Raiden is a ninja plus this game gets the award for having the most fitting music while cutting a metal gear in two award.

6. MGS Ghost Babel They somehow made a metal gear game work on a Game Boy.

7. MG1 Metal Gear on MSX is actually still playable today along with the sequel MG2: Solid Snake.

8. MGS2 Not sure why but it didn't impress me at the time.

9. MGPW I really didn't enjoy anything about Peace Walker at all. Especially once it started to make me repeat missions to unlock the rest of the story.

10. Bottom of the barrel Metal Gear Acid 1/2, MGS Portable Ops, Twin Snakes These aren't super bad but I'm just kinda ehhh about them.

WorldDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By WorldDude

MGS4 > MGS > MGS3 > MGS2 > GZ > PW

MGS4 is not only my favorite in the series, but probably my favorite game period. The only one of the bunch I wasn't super hot on was Peace Walker.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By captain_clayman

@teoball said:

Hmm, I'll try

1. MGS3
  2. MGS1
  3. MGS4
  4. MGS2
  5. Ground Zeroes
  6. Peace Walker

Yup same here, except maybe switch peace walker and ground zeroes

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ShaggE

Keep in mind that I'm not a huge fan, and I've only played a bit of 3 and PW, so this list is very incomplete:

MGS1

MGS: VR Missions (totally deserves its own spot. I looove VR Missions)

MGS4

MGS2

MGS3 (again, from what little I've played. I just couldn't get into it)

MGS:PW (see above)

MG1&2 (ehhhh... really cool games for the time, but not my bag)

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By conmulligan
  1. Metal Gear Solid 3
  2. Metal Gear Solid
  3. Metal Gear Solid 4
  4. Ground Zeroes
  5. Metal Gear Solid 2

I think Ground Zeroes is easily the best playing of the series, but some of the story beats and the general hollowness of it left me a bit cold.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm...

1. MGS 3 - This is the game that got me back into games (after quitting for a few months to focus on college). The story was fantastic and a bit more grounded than MGS2, the gameplay felt wide open and tactical, it looked great on the PS2, and that salute at the end, man...

2. Metal Gear Solid - What can I say, it's a classic. I played it when I was 14 or so, and it was like nothing I had experienced. The cinematics blew me away, the game design felt super unique, and it still holds up as one of Kojima's creative peaks (right up there with ZOE 2).

3. MSG 4 - This game was just huge. It was one of those stories where you feel like anything can happen. And a whole lot does! What surprised me is how much I loved the changes to the gameplay. It felt more like an action game, but my silenced rifle got me through most of the game silently. It stayed true to the series while branching out in exciting ways. I've only played it once, and I don't necessarily need to play it again because so much is burned into my memory.

4. MGS2 - The tanker demo set the bar so high. SO HIGH. You wouldn't know unless you were there. This is the game that made you realize how insane MGS secretly strived to be. It was an epic campaign and a huge leap over MGS 1 in many ways. This is what a change in generation used to feel like, none of that 1080p/60fps stuff. Things were done here that eclipsed anything that could be done on the PS1. Such a crazy game.

5. I've played the other games briefly. The original NES games are fun, Portable Ops and Peace Walker were cool but didn't keep me engaged, and Ground Zeroes shows promise but it's too early to tell.

Metal Gear rules. I want a new Zone of the Enders, but I won't complain when a new Metal Gear is announced.

Oh, and Revengeance. Revengeance was deeply flawed but absolutely incredible. If Platinum builds the next one from the ground up themselves, it could potentially be my favorite game of this generation.

Klarion18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Out of the ones I've played:

MGS 3, 1, 2, and 4.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had no idea 4 was so controversial, it was my first and my fav from the bits of the others i've played

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By doctordonkey

Whenever there's a list like this, MGS3 is number 1 for most people, for good reason. I can't think of any other entry in the franchise more deserving of the number 1 spot than Snake Eater.

1. MGS3
  2. MGS1
  3. MGSV
  4. MGS4
  5. Peace Walker