Metal Gear Solid V - a thing that is confusing me

Richardqx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Why to beat my own people at the motherbase and extract them again, when they already belong to the Diamond Dogs? Can anyone be so kind and explain this to me?

TanookiSuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By TanookiSuit

Because it's a silly (fantastic) game and why not? You don't actually re-recruit them or anything and if I recall correctly, doesn't actually use your resources. Just one of the few tiny touches they decided to allow you to play around with on Motherbase that doesn't effect the actual game.

Richardqx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok, so i don't need to do this ?

darkfury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

Correct. It's just a silly thing you can do, but it has no impact.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slightly off topic, but everytime I extracted someone, Jeff's creepy "You wanna ride the roller coaster?" went through my head when attaching the balloon to people.

Richardqx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyway, can you tell me what's so great about the game? I know some people will disagree, but it isn't any extreme fun to play. I remember playing MGS1 demo on psx and it was totally awesome, but this isn't realy entertaining me that much. Will it be better after some progress?

heyooo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Richardqx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lolol. Seriously?

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@richardqx: no one can you tell you how to be entertained by a game. You either like it or you don't.

heyooo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@richardqx: There's one or two setpieces and story moments that are pretty cool, and you got some pretty sweet upgrades later on, but otherwise its pretty much 50 hours of the same gameplay loop. And it only gets even more repetitive and tedious towards the end.

Richardqx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That really sucks.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By avantegardener

@xanadu: @richardqx:

I'll bite, a lot of the love for this game (which I share) is having played and perhaps endured previous outings. The whole over arching narrative is compelling as it is utter nonsense, if your not 'in on' the multiple layers of characters, jokes, call backs, set pieces etc I could see a case for not enjoying it as a stand alone experience.

Even the open world and relatively cutscene light nature of the game is a sort of deliberately contrarian to everything that came before. Mechanically its also soooo tight compared to the other games too.

At the risk of going full Ryckert here, you raise a puppy and give it an eye patch and a knife, I mean I don't think I can be any clearer.

Also, I think it might be the most narratively satisfying MGS I've ever played.

heyooo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Also, I think it might be the most narratively satisfying MGS I've ever played."

I wish I lived in your alternative, bizaro world, because as a long time fan I feel completely the opposite.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By OurSin_360

Mgsv is the best playing metal gear with the least/worst story. If you dont enjoy how it plays you're not going to get much else from it except a little big boss backstory. I did think the bit that was there was done well though(in the context of metal gear craziness).

Avatar image for deactivated-5f5bc0f9823f4
deactivated-5f5bc0f9823f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: I agree with this statement. I think the game play is super tight and a great sandbox to mess around in. I just wish there was more story to send Metal Gear off with a bang, but I love the game play nonetheless. If your not a fan of the game play loop or a Mega MGS Fan, this probably isn't for you.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

It builds character.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By Onemanarmyy

MGS V is an awesome game. It's somewhat lacking storywise for a Metal Gear game but still enough to make me fill out an entire word pad with stuff and having multiple discussions about the story with others. The cutscenes were excellent. It would be a better game if there was more of that for sure, but there was enough to make me satisfied overall.

It also does a great job giving you new toys to play with as you get deeper in the game. And it's not like you can't use 90% of the arsenal if you're only interested in playing stealthy, which is the case for most stealth games.

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Metal Gear because of the tight mechanics and variety in how you can handle the various missions. I also very much like Metal Gear because it is a huge middle finger to all the diehard Metal Gear fans. Similar to what 2 did they flip the script in this one, but hold the hours of cut-scenes.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RonGalaxy

Mgsv is one of the best games released this gen. When it comes to gameplay design, I feel it's pretty close to being perfect. The overall story is definitely lacking, but it still has a lot of cool moments. It's also one of the best controlling games I've ever played.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By avantegardener

@heyooo said:

"Also, I think it might be the most narratively satisfying MGS I've ever played."

I wish I lived in your alternative, bizaro world, because as a long time fan I feel completely the opposite.

It's a beautiful place. I think when it comes to Kojima, personally, less is more, and show me, don't tell me (over a fucking hour MGS 4!) I like what it offers in terms of conclusion between Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain, not saying there are things that are not wrong with it, but its concludes most narrative thread in satisfactory way and still maintains mystique.

Thing is, from what I've read and heard about development, this was probably a total accident, and brevity was forced upon them.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By GERALTITUDE

I don't understand how anyone could break into a run in this game and not instantly realize they are playing a masterpiece!

The basic feeling of moving, sneaking, attacking, fighting as snake is incredible. Along with Max Payne in MP3, he is among the weightiest characters ever made. It's.... incredible. When you slam a soldier down on the ground, the fact that the guy isn't getting up anytime soon is so obvious, so well communicated. When you run, the feeling of speed and your feet hitting the ground is so natural... I can't compare it to many games.

@avantegardener said:
@heyooo said:

It's a beautiful place. I think when it comes to Kojima, personally, less is more, and show me, don't tell me (over a fucking hour MGS 4!) I like what it offers in terms of conclusion between Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain, not saying there are things that are not wrong with it, but its concludes most narrative thread in satisfactory way and still maintains mystique.

Thing is, from what I've read and heard about development, this was probably a total accident, and brevity was forced upon them.

Have you played Peace Walker? It is remarkably similar to MGSV in a lot of ways. But most especially in the brevity of narrative. I came to PW very late (PS3 HD remaster) but I think it really prepared me for MGSV. Almost all the complaints I heard about V sounded to me like "My First Peace Walker" which is very far from previous Metal Gears. And you're not crazy either way, I agree about the narrative in V.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By BigBoss1911

@heyooo said:

Im still upset as you are 2 years later.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Shindig

It gets you thinking about the lore in some ways that make you realise Kojima's been sacked two games too late.

TonyBlue87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MGSV is the best Metal Gear "game."

MGSV is the worst "Metal Gear" game.