Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

No Caption Provided

Metro 2033 is the video game based on the great novel of the same name by cult Russian author, Dmitry A. Glukhovsky's   

Amazon Books: http://www.amazon.co.uk/METRO-2033-Dmitry-Glukhovsky/dp/0575086246   ****   

You can also download an English translation of the novel online if you have e-book. I highly recommend it.

What is Metro 2033 all about? 

Metro 2033 REVIEWS  

• Xbox Magazine (UK) = 8/10
  • GameInformer = 9/10
  • GamePro = 8.6/10
  • Xbox World 360 = 9/10
  • Gamers Global = 8.5/10
  • Eurogamer = 8/10
  • IGN = 7.5
  • NowGamer = 8/10
  • MetaCritic = 8/10
  • AusGamers (Australia)= 8.8/10
  • Playground (Russia) = 8.9/10
  • GamingTrend = 7.1
  • GamePro = 7.5/10
  • GameZone= 8/10
  • MSXBOX = 9.5/10
  • Gamespot = 7.5
  • Xbox Magazine (US) = 8.0/10

Average Metro 2033 Xbox 360 score: 8.2/10 

Metro 2033 PC Reviews 

• Game Star (German) = 8.5
  • 3D Juegos (Spain) = 9/10
  • GameReactor = 7/10
  • Gamers Global = 8.5/10
  • Eurogamer = 8/10
  • MetaCritic = 8.7/10
  • AusGamers (Australia) = 8.8/10
  • GameInformer = 9/10

Average Metro 2033 PC score: 8.4/10 

New Screens 

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Metro 2033 will release on March 16th in NA. and on the 19th in the EU, on both 360 & PC. The PC version will support DX11, PhysX and nVidia 3D Vision.    

http://www.metro2033forum.net/
   - I'm here, moderating.
kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By kmdrkul

I was interested the first time I saw this game in OXM, probably over half a year ago.  Glad to see it didn't turn out to be a complete mess; I'll pick it up.... sigh.... eventually.

Avatar image for equal_opportunity_destroyer497
Equal_Opportunity_Destroyer497

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I was already looking forward to Metro 2033, but now I can't effing wait. The more I see of it, the more impressed I am. And now with the first batch of reviews being as positive as they are, I'm downright psyched.

MonkeyGekko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By MonkeyGekko

I really wanna play this game on PC, but I think I'll to wait on till I got the money for an upgrade. Those hardware requirements are insane.

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By CaptainObvious

Interesting. This looks alot like Stalker to me.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By cstrang

I'm intrigued.  We'll see.  I could use a new survival-horror-FPS.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Binman88

Pre-ordered for PC, can't wait :D

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By coaxmetal

Yea. Looks like STALKER, which is a good thing.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Linkyshinks

A few members of the design team also worked on the original Stalker. This game is made in Ukraine also.  

XBOX World 360 Metro 2033 Review 

[9.0]

Format Xbox 360
Developer 4A Games
Publisher THQ
Genre First Person Shooter, Survival Horror

12-Mar-2010 From Russia with love

You're crouched in a corner clutching your AK-47 with both hands. You're down to your last magazine. Five monsters are trying to get a lock on your scent in the next room and just beyond them a group of Nazis are sitting at their sentry post waiting for movement. You should have saved some ammunition but you blew it all to buy a sniper rifle at the last outpost. Nietzschean law doesn't apply: what doesn't kill you here just makes you weaker. You want to go back but you can't: the shelter doors are locked and won't be opening again any time soon. Life in the Metro is tough - but above ground the situation's even worse.

Your mother would have told you this but she died when you were young. Life in a cramped station was all you knew, so who can blame you for wanting to venture outside? But the sky doesn't look like you'd imagined. The postcards pinned to your wall depict clear blue heavens. Here, though, rolling storm clouds and dust blot out the sun.

You count yourself lucky given that the hole in the ozone layer makes sunlight deadly but then you remember the tough spot you're in and your grip on the weapon tightens. It's crazy to let your mind wander like this and you blame it on your gas mask's clogged filters. Your visor slowly fills with condensation. Your laboured breathing is now accompanied by pronounced wheezes. Any louder and you'll alert the monsters. What a fine mess you're in - not enough air, not enough bullets and no options but to press on. But you're having the time of your life.

MIDNIGHT TREAT TRAIN 

Metro 2033 is going to have its fair share of detractors. We'll lay down the Joker card early: the shooting isn't all that great. As we feared last issue, the guns do feel underpowered and enemies sometimes absorb a bullet or two without even flinching. If you're after a great blaster then Metro 2033 may not be for you. Nor is it designed to be. Bioshock isn't a great blaster either, but that certainly hasn't held it back.

If you play Metro 2033 in the right way - stealthing and planning assaults like John Rambo Version One rather than barging through the front door with double rocket launchers like his carnage-loving later-ego - the shooting issues become non-issues. Decline, and fail to look past the resulting gunplay shortcomings, and you'll officially have a heart colder than the Moscow nuclear winter. Like 2K's watery adventure, Metro thrives on its atmosphere. And it's in this area that 4A Games delivers in way perhaps nobody expected.

For starters, the dank tunnels of Russia's Metro system are more evocative and more powerful than anything explored in the return visit to Rapture. Metro 2033 opens a window into a world totally unexplored on Xbox 360. Step through it and there's an unshakable feeling you're trespassing into a PC game. Yes, there are a few moments where the edges are so rough you wonder why Black & Decker didn't pick up the publishing rights and stock Metro as part of their hacksaw range, but the unique look and feel is fascinating to behold. The world is utterly captivating: if the theme is strictly Fallout and the concept is Bioshock, Metro's closest cousin in terms of game mechanics is undoubtedly Half-Life 2. 

FREEMAN FIGHTERS

There's no blinking arrow in the centre of the screen to guide you forwards and little in the way of hand-holding. Struggling to open a door? The solution might well involve working your way into a neighbouring room to blast away the plank of wood wedging the handle, or to blast the anchors of a chandelier's cabling and swing the broken light into the entrance. Very PC, very Half-Life, and we're sure you'll agree that any game taking its cues from Valve's masterpiece (at 97%, the second-highest scoring title in Xbox World's history, don't forget) is going to be worth a look.

4A Games have approached Metro 2033 with all the confidence of a Valve, and a healthy portion of the talent too. The game boldly flits between solo and cooperative missions with just the right balance, and occasionally spices up the mixture by throwing you into a few (actually, genuinely superb) on-rails section when you least expect it. 

What really resonates, though, is how the game hasn't been dumbed down for consoles. Fail to keep your torch topped up* and you might just miss a hidden tripwire which hurls a spiked pendulum into your noggin. Ignore the audio cues that indicate a crumbling ledge and you'll be dunked into toxic soup before you know what's happened. Metro 2033 is never unfair - 4A mercifully fixed the ammo and difficulty spikes present in last month's preview code - but, simultaneously, it's far from forgiving. 

Fortunately, some truly inspired level design has an uncanny ability to make you feel clever. One set of tunnels plays home to a war between the Reds and the Nazis. (Yes, future Nazis.) Holster your weapon and it's possible to remain undetected for the entire chapter. Careful sneaking will lead you to the scene of an execution; a soldier is on trial for desertion of his post and, as he pleads to his captors, he reveals that he was trying to flank the enemy forces by using a secret passage. Follow his instructions and you too can use the spaghetti-like collection of pipes to crawl beneath the battles above, completely subverting your involvement in the tussles between the factions. And, as you sneak under the walkways, you'll feel like you've genuinely outfoxed everybody else.

CHOO CHOO ROCKET

To ensure you never find a comfort zone there's an arresting paranormal edge to the post-apocalyptic pilgrimage across the devastated Moscow Metro. When the lights are off and the surround sound is cranked up you're subjected to as immersive an environment as anything currently on the console. The only way Metro 2033 could be more atmospheric is if each box contained a plane ticket to Russia for a guided tour of the city's abandoned subway tunnels.

We're not just talking about the obvious pointers either. The stunning visuals, creepy enemy design and sound effects all play their parts as you'd expect. But it's the little details which really grip you. It's the people who proudly belt out Russian songs with voices ravaged by twenty years of impure air and vodka diets, or the moment you overhear a young boy telling his friend how the nosalis monsters steal away children and scoop out their brains for food. It's the time you carry somebody to safety and feel the controls turn sluggish because of the added weight. The way your lighter's flame will react with acute precision to wind or movement. Everywhere you turn there's something of note. Stories about the last stand of desperate survivors are told through a series of visual clues: spent casings and blood trails paint a picture so vivid you didn't need to watch the events to understand what passed.

TUBE WAILS

We probably missed plenty of goodies too, though not for want of searching. Metro 2033 sometimes fails to lead your eye to sequenced events (the first time we found a 'ghost' we couldn't see it because our flashlight was off) due to a little design naivety. An especially sloppy decision proclaims one on-rails level is named 'Chase' - well before the surprise attack and pursuit in question actually gets underway.

The chief issue, though, is one we've already mentioned: the shooting - and it's this black mark which stops Metro 2033 from challenging the absolute best FPS titles on the 360. But it's a problem you soon learn to forgive, and by the time you're a few levels in, the iffy fighting hardly harms the other features at all. Besides, it's something 4A Games can work on during the sequel's development. The Metro 2034 book is already out, and THQ simply have to order another game as soon as they possibly can. Because while the wait for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Half-Life 3 on 360 continues, Metro 2033 is the only real alternative. And, if PC shooters are your thing, what an alternative it will turn out to be.

Overview Verdict

A brilliantly atmospheric shooter with forgivably imperfect gunplay. Stick with it.

Uppers 

• Gripping levels, superb world 
  • Full of clever ideas

Downers 
  •  Weak shooting
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Geno

Anywhere I can find screenshots/video of PC version maxed graphics?
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Linkyshinks
@Geno said:

" Anywhere I can find screenshots/video of PC version maxed graphics? "

There are shots of the game running in DX11 available, but I don't know whether those are taken at maximum settings. Those with DX11 cards will see advanced Depth of Field effects as well as Full Tessellation on character models.     

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Geno
@Linkyshinks:
K thanks. The game really looks quite good as is, I'm really curious as to what sort of performance it gets considering Stalker was optimized worse than Crysis, and the 4A guys have been hyping their engine for a long time. Oh yeah and congrats to your mod position on the metro forums btw.
KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

This game looks amazing. I went and pre-ordered it yesterday. Glad it's getting great reviews.

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By spaceturtle

I am so hilariously stoked for this! It simply looks amazing! Damn European release dates though....

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Linkyshinks
Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ryax

looks like a frosty fallout 3 to me

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By Tordah

Glad to see that this game is doing good critically so far. Always nice to see new IPs on the market.

roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By roofy

looks really good but i probably wont play it until i read the novel its based on

stephengotlost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By stephengotlost

I had a feeling that this was going to be a great PC title!

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Geno
@Linkyshinks: 

Chief Technical Officer Oles Shishkovstov : "Playing the game under DX11 in 3D Stereo is just mind-blowing, it's much, much more amazing than watching Avatar in IMAX." 

Whoa. Bold claim after bold claim. Can't wait to see how it actually fares.
Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hourai

Going to get this for PC while I wait for my 360 to get fixed. Looks great. 

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#22  Edited By Sooperspy

looks soooooo good. Now with really good reviews, The wait is even more painful

JazzyJeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JazzyJeff

Thanks for posting all this. I wasn't sure about this game, but after seeing the videos and reviews, it's looking like something I want to play. :)

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By pweidman

Looks like a gameworld that is both immersive and very atmospheric.  Sounds great and I love the hudless look.  I'll be playing the hell outta this come Wednesday...can't wait.  Great thread tc, especially all the in-game vids.
Tokubetsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Tokubetsu

I'm a bit concerned with some of these reviews talking about poor performance on PC. Right now I'm chalking it up to overall reviewer incompetence (who wants to bet they're trying to run with global illumination on?) but we'll see.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Linkyshinks
@Tokubetsu:  

I trust in the German reviews so far that have reviewed the PC version.  I'm sure the game has some minor issues, this is made in the Ukraine after all, but I doubt any of these issues hamper one's experience of the game significantly. I expect a patch is already being worked on, from what I can make out some of the technical issues can be rectified fairly easily. 
Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By Whisperkill

looks mad Russian

Avatar image for sandwich_adjustment
sandwich_adjustment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oh i wonder who will review it at GB

CABBAGES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CABBAGES

Just pre orderd  the limited edition 

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By pweidman

^^Sweet!  Whattaya get w/the limited edition Cabbages?  That gun looks like the Gamestop preorder auto shotty.  Is there an extra dev disk or something besides that art biz? 
Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Alphiehyr

Looking forward to this game.

ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#32  Edited By ltcoljaxson

I hope this will run on my PC... looks really amazing!

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#33  Edited By ImperiousRix

I had this game pinned as being a throwaway FPS. 
Now I'm gonna actually have to take another look at it.  That's the LAST thing I needed with my waning funds and abundance of titles I want to play.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By xyzygy

You should also point out that that Game Reactor review was for the PC version and was notched down some for poorly optimized visuals, which isn't on the 360 version.

Kbm600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Kbm600

I'll probably rent it for xbox. It looks thrilling.

Anarqi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Anarqi

Is the concept of Metro 2033 like STALKER? Like having RPG elements, doing quest for ppl, picking up any item laying around?I really enjoy that series. 

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here is Gamesradar's Review
Is there any chance this game might run on a Nvidia Geforce 8800 gts?

willylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By willylo
@CaptainObvious: I was just about to say that.
Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Linkyshinks:
Thanks, pre-ordering it now.
blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40  Edited By blackbird415

I'll definitly get it, I wanna read the book first though

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#41  Edited By Rhaknar

joystiq review

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/16/metro-2033-video-game-review/#continued

Sn1PeR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Sn1PeR

I sure hope those new nvidia chips are out soon -- tessellation is dropping a 5970 into single digits when turned on in this game!

CrimsonMachete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By CrimsonMachete
@Sn1PeR said:
" I sure hope those new nvidia chips are out soon -- tessellation is dropping a 5970 into single digits when turned on in this game! "
Seems like your problem may be elsewhere as my 5870 Crossfire setup has no problem at all running DX11 options with all other settings maxed, 1920x1080.

Beautiful looking game!
Sn1PeR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Sn1PeR
@CrimsonMachete said:

" @Sn1PeR said:

" I sure hope those new nvidia chips are out soon -- tessellation is dropping a 5970 into single digits when turned on in this game! "
Seems like your problem may be elsewhere as my 5870 Crossfire setup has no problem at all running DX11 options with all other settings maxed, 1920x1080.  Beautiful looking game! "
Hmm it's my friends computer, but he's running 1920x1200 with everything on at ~40fps.  Tessellation drops it down to about 12fps avg.  Game is very playable w/o tessellation though and still looks beautiful.  I'll have to get him to play with it more -- the benchmarks I'm seeing show a 5850 @  1680x1050 with 4x AA DoF on and Tessellation on getting 12-13.8fps so I would expect a bit better on his rig. 

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/aid,706590/Metro-2033-Grafikkarten-Benchmarks-mit-DirectX-11-und-GPU-PhysX/Action-Spiel/Test/?page=2  

It's in German, but you'll get the idea. 
CrimsonMachete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By CrimsonMachete
@Sn1PeR: My framerate is between 40 and 70 fps, generally hovering around 50 even in firefights, so I'm pretty happy about that.  My system is new; i7 920@3.2 and 12 GB memory, so that probably helps.
Sn1PeR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Sn1PeR
@CrimsonMachete: That's with Tessellation enabled?  We're on the same cpu clocked @ 4ghz but with 6GB ram.  If so that's crazy that you're getting 4x the performance of a 5850 and beating a 5970.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#47  Edited By Claude

I'm looking hard at getting this game. Most of the reviews say that the gun play is the one flaw, but I've found that's with a caveat. If you go in guns a blazing, you might not do well. It seems to be a thinking man's game. One review I read mentioned it was more like Bioshock and Half Life 2 and barely mentioned the STALKER series. That's intriguing as well. We'll see.

CrimsonMachete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By CrimsonMachete
@Sn1PeR: 

Tesselation is definitely enabled, just like it is when I run Dirt 2 and Stalker: Call of Pripyat.  I do know that 2 5870's are faster than a single 5970, what's surprising to me is that your PC is that much slower.  Are you running MSAA antialiasing?  I should have mentioned that's I've left mine at AAA.
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Linkyshinks

Launch Trailer

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Al3xand3r

Preloaded on Steam, waiting for the unlock day :)