Don't Analyze: Actions Against Orcs Make You Feel Uncomfortable?

• 160 results
Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Poll Don't Analyze: Actions Against Orcs Make You Feel Uncomfortable? (774 votes)

Yes 22%
No 78%

This week's podcast, the staff talked about how the main characters are sadistic against the orcs. Some of the actions may feel "gross." Ben says there was a camp that disliked the previous game because of that. (I've heard people use the word "gross," in context of the setting but not in this way.) They also talk about the humanizing of orcs, a bit. My interest is players' emotional reactions as they're playing, not when you analyze the situation.

So my question to you, just based off your inert reaction to playing the game, did your actions against the orcs make you feel uncomfortable?

• 
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ares42: how do you suppose Talion made him act like that? What do you suppose he is tampering with in the Orcs? And to that end, does the "how," even matter?

As a paramedic, I've met a ton of people with traumatic brain onjuries, and I could compare their behaviors to plenty of non-injured people. The behaviors are the effect. The reason is the cause.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@flashflood_29: I dunno, magic ? Does he disintegrate parts of their brain ? Does he infect them with a virus ? Or maybe poison them with a hallucinogen ? Or maybe he just conjures tiny little imps that takes control over the brain ? Going down that path is completely pointless unless you want to start trying to explain everything in this fictional fantasy world. The only thing we do know is that he's using a power referred to as "Shame", and Bruz is acting like a child that's been thoroughly shamed.

gunflame88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, Talion should just humanely kill them by flying far overhead on a drake raining down huge fireballs that evaporate them.

On a more serious note, the notion of getting upset over some pure evil fantasy orcs getting humiliated and slaughtered is absurd to me. It's an entire race with only genocide in mind, and there is no space for nuance here. It's not like they would ever agree to any rules of war. At the very least, when you fight something like that, you have to have ways to put fear in its heart.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@gunflame88: But how can you assume they will know fear when you leave no room for nuance?

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

@ares42 said:

@flashflood_29: I dunno, magic ? Does he disintegrate parts of their brain ? Does he infect them with a virus ? Or maybe poison them with a hallucinogen ? Or maybe he just conjures tiny little imps that takes control over the brain ? Going down that path is completely pointless unless you want to start trying to explain everything in this fictional fantasy world. The only thing we do know is that he's using a power referred to as "Shame", and Bruz is acting like a child that's been thoroughly shamed.

Lobotomy was looked at as a legitimate treatment in the past for the same reason you're presenting. The outward end result is just that they act differently.

@gunflame88: That's why I like to keep reiterating that the original intent of this thread is for feelings of discomfort based on surface level actions; not analyzing whether it's just or not, or if it makes sense, or any of that. I could justify a lot of things that make feel discomfort and at the same time, there may be some unjust things that I don't bat an eyelash at (but should).

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flashflood_29: Right, but where in the game does it indicate that that is actually what's going on ? There's no mention of it anywhere, but there's plenty of clues pointing in other directions. Again, it just seems to me like people are over-thinking it and jumping to a standard TV trope.

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ares42: I'm sort of counter-intuitively trying to explain my point that regardless of what you're doing to him, you're breaking his psyche. He no longer thinks properly. If an adult were lobotomized, TBI, psychologically abused, psychological damage from physical abuse, anything to the point where they were only capable of thinking and acting on a child's level, it's still an adult only capable of thinking/acting on a child's level. (Which isn't to say that all those causes are on equal terms, by any means.)

If you don't see it that way, then that's the point of the thread, to get everyone's point of view!

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Weird thing is, everything in the book kinda leads to whatever that is being done to orc oke, but in the game they try to give them personality and make it seem there is a culture there, which makes it feel weird.
It is the weird fanfic nature and twisting of the lore that make things feel off.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cheappoison: Its not twisting the lore to show a story little more from the orcside.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@rethla: In tolkien Orc are pretty much irredeemable, not the orcs you see here. These are Terry Pratchett/warhammer orcs.
There is even a commentary about questioning Tolkien about having a sentient race that is without salvation.

shoebreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, if only due to the Nemesis System assigning unique personalities to the Orcs you encounter and the awful story missions making the non-Orc characters so boring and one-note that the Uruks seem human by comparison.

I remember seeing a Twitter discussion on the subject of an Orc protagonist for War-dor who turns on Sauron to free his brethren from the "shackles of war captivity." While the idea is about as lore-friendly as "sexy Shelob" or "we made a better Ring," it would definitely be more interesting than playing as Talion's bland, dumb, undead ass.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ares42: it's still an adult only capable of thinking/acting on a child's level.

I think this is pretty much the disagreement we're having. You see an adult person being diminished down to acting like a child. I see an underling creature being punished by its master and acting accordingly, like a dog-owner punishing their dog when they've done something bad.