Nintendo Switch price leak? ($329.99 CAD, $245.00 USD)

• 54 results
avenlaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By avenlaya

http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=115713676

Apparently Toys-r-us in Canada have started taking Pre-Orders? If this isn't the price of it on launch it could be a real close assumption of the round about price.

$329.99 CAD

$245.99 USD

€230.00

Seems like a reasonable price to me.

As of 11/24/2016 Gameseek.co.uk, they are now taking pre orders with a Price Guarantee.

blackblade500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

245$ is not bad. My favorite thing is that there are already 3 reviews on it...they are all great!

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By imhungry

There's no way this thing comes out as cheaper than a Wii is there?

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Always take these things as placeholder.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

If this comes in at or below $250usd, it's going to be hard to turn down.

bill_mcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If this comes in at or below $250usd, it's going to be hard to turn down.

Bingo. I was going to "wait and see" for a while, but that's kind of tempting...

Again, if it's true ;)

avenlaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By avenlaya
@ivdamke said:

Always take these things as placeholder.

It very well could be, but 329.99 seems more of an exact price rather than a placeholder. If it were a placeholder, I'd imagine they would have priced it at a more rounded number like 349.99.

Plus, there's no chance in hell the major market stores (Wal-Mart, Target, Toys-r-Us, ect.) don't already know the price of it. So I suspect the page just went live when maybe it shouldn't have

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

Looking forward to watch as the Canadian exchange rate tanks even more by the time the Switch releases...

Auuughhhh....

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

At $250 I can see myself getting this right out of the gate....which I haven't done with a Nintendo console since the GameBoy Advance.

LastBestHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By LastBestHope

Anyone else really confused by the long review (of this unreleased console) and why it is so detailed? Who is this person? Why did they write this? Probably someone who really wants others to buy one.

It's time to make the Switch! 10/10!

The Nintendo Switch is Nintendo's 9th gen console in our ongoing console war. Yes I will say it right now, this thing is a 9th gen console. Here's what's in the box:

-Nintendo Switch dock with HDMI port, 2 USB 3.0 ports (yes they are 3.0!), SD Card slot, proprietary audio out (i think?) and the power port -Nintendo Switch console (tablet like device), cartridge slot, audio jack, power connector (for dock), kickstand, micro sd -2 Joycons with the cradle -HDMI Cable -power cable + small power brick -Operations Manual (obviously) -Rewards card -demo cartridge

Playing with it I can assure you that the system is definitely a surprisingly powerful device. For those needing specs it's about 3 1/2 lbs docked, the tablet portion is a multitouch gorilla glass like (pseudo gorilla glass) screen what looks to be a HD display, it looks comparably as good as my Google Pixel C tablet albeit a slightly lower resolution (I'm guessing a 1920x1200 display. Running on full load the device loads blazingly fast, expect the console to be twice / three times as fast booting up than the PS4 Pro or Xbox One S systems. They've redesigned the UI as well, being more "modern" in terms of looks, with darker colors sharper edges and the animations are very buttery smooth, and they've also made better use of the avatar system. Those wondering can be assured that the system is connected via NNID, so you would be able to use your old avatar with the new Switch, however you will still need to create a new account upon signing up

But loading times are not really the systems only shining glory of features. The system is reasonably quiet but you can definitely hear fan noise coming from the dock, the dock itself has vents to dissipate heat. The console comes with a demo cartridge as well showing some of the things you can do with the system, nothing too mind blowing and real gimmicky stuff, but nonetheless really well made mini games showing you what you can do. My favorite minigame is the racing minigame since it really shows the graphical fidelity of the system. The system has 32 GB of storage like the Wii U but since you have a sd card slot this isn't really a big deal. However you can only use the external storage on the dock which is kind of a bummer but since you have a microsd slot on the tablet it actually combines both storage spaces when docked which is really cool.

The system also has vents on the mobile portion but they are designed so it doesn't blow heat onto your hands, the device itself never gets really warm either, slightly above room temperature. You can also set your power usage on the device to high performance which will boost how it runs at the cost of battery life. At highest settings it runs at about 6 hours and on the lowest (battery saver) it runs at about 8-9 hours and even longer when given a chance to sleep.

I can definitely fit this device in my bag and take it on the go. It makes a lot of sense as well that way as it's just slightly larger than your pocket with the joycons snapped on (it feels really secure as well since it feels like it's using magnets or some locking mechanism to connect the joy cons to the tablet). The tablet itself has a speaker on the top of the device which gets pretty loud though it does sound a little tinny.

The internet browsing is surprisingly well made and is similar to an android version of the chrome browser, it's more in depth than the Wii U browser and runs flash as well which got me by surprise! I'm waiting on my breath of the wild game to come in so I will hopefully be reviewing that as well once it comes in.

PROS: -Most powerful tablet device out right now and it uses cartridges! -Mobile yet doesn't feel like a mobile experience -joy cons have VERY far connection distance, like 10+ feet and they charge from the console which is nice, I think they use internal batteries or none at all because they are very light also. -Dock actually boosts performance, less lag on loading games (though even on mobile since its a cartridge its not really a huge boost in performance as it's already blazingly fast according to the demo cartridge I played) -attractive design!

CONS: -3ds and wii u games don't work on this device, you'll have a completely clean slate -Wish the console has Wii U game support, maybe in the fututre we'll be getting some sort of way to transfer digital titles over?

HIGHLY RECCOMEND THIS PRODUCT! So far this console is really worth the 9th gen experience it's boasting and can't wait to play BoTW once it comes in!

"Playing with it I can assure you" "I can definitely fit this device in my bag and take it on the go." "The system is reasonably quiet" "So far this console is really worth the 9th gen experience" Really strange how this person acts as if they own one already. Obviously this isn't real but the writer wants to convince us regardless. So weird, who does this?

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I wouldn't be surprised at all, I would expect them to price it extremely competitively.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

That long review is absolutely bizarre.

I can't decide whether it's a superfan pretending to already own the console, or some Nintendo guerilla marketing thing. The username of the reviewer has never been used before on the internet and this review showed up very quickly on this initial posting, the review regurgitates tech specs and reinforces all the points that people have expressed worry with (battery life for example), jargon gets used like "BoTW", "Joycons", "NNID", and "9th generation", but there are lots of spelling mistakes and strange observations like not knowing if the audio out is proprietary or if the joycons have batteries in them or not (assuming they don't run on magic?).

MAN, I wanna know the circumstances that lead to this review being created.

More on topic, that price point is lower than expected and would definitely hit really hard if it gets confirmed. Might be enough to get me on board at day 1 if the launch lineup looks good. That "review" mentions the dock takes an SD card and the handheld portion can take MicroSD, that's news to me but is interesting if true.

fugoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't know about those reviews but if that price is true there is no way I'm not getting one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

250USD sounds super low to me. Not saying that it's implausible or even that strange, but I was expecting a much higher price point.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jeffgoldblum

As someone who skipped the Wii U and is missing console Nintendo games, this would be a day one purchase for me at 250USD. That said, that price seems way too good to be true. The current price of the Wii U is $250 so maybe this is just a placeholder price based on that?

EDIT: Man, these reviews are strange.

"It has some fabulous features but overall it has rat hair." -poob

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Bollard

@lastbesthope: That review read like it was written by a crazy person, and that says a lot considering one of the other reviews literally claims it has rat hair on it.

As others have said, not buying the final price being $250 at all.

avenlaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lastbesthope:

The system has 32 GB of storage like the Wii U but since you have a sd card slot this isn't really a big deal. However you can only use the external storage on the dock which is kind of a bummer but since you have a microsd slot on the tablet it actually combines both storage spaces when docked which is really cool.

Something occurred to me with the fact that the games will come are some type of cartridge and the lack of storage space. Of course we're worried about patches and whatnot. But could it not be feasible to have the cartridges have a larger capacity storage than the game needs and be able to download patches and DLC onto the cartridge, eliminating the need for a large hard drive for the system? The SD card will be able to be used for downloadable games.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is no way in hell that thing launches at $245.

MrBGone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think both the price and review are there for SEO-reasons. Especially since the review is dropping a lot of keywords/related phrases. It's only written to make sense for googles AI.

Google is supposedly putting greater emphasis on reviews as well.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nope, $245 seems low. can't trust preorder sites as reliable- they're just guesses to justify holding your money for you.

Jaymii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jaymii

Not for games, but I 100% wrote batshit things like that review when I was 13.

pauljeremiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 1

I was thinking it would be about €250. Perfectly fine price for it.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, basically, just go ahead and take my money.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Rafaelfc

That sounds like a fantastic price point. Unfortunately by the time it gets to Brazil it'll cost 6x more (even more so than just doing the exchange rate), because this country hates video games and the people who play them.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just because the price conversion comes in lower for dollars (because of the stronger dollar) doesn't mean that it'll be that price. I still see this thing being $300. If it's lower that's awesome but I would be surprised if it did.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#26  Edited By isomeri

It's probably a placeholder, but $250 sounds about right. You can probably get an Xbox One S or PS4 Slim for the same price early next year, so 300 bucks might be a bit of a sticker-shock for casual customers.

I mean, sure Nintendo could sell the Switch for $399 for the first few months if they wanted to, but their strategy must allow for the thing to come down to $199 after a year or so if they want to keep competitive with the sliding prices of the cheaper Xbox and PlayStation models.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rumours are that The UK prices are set to be 199.99 - 249.99 gbp according to a source at Game. Which is what I thought would be the sweet spot, this has reignited my interest for the console and might even be good enough for me to place a pre-order

The pro controllers are apparently set to be 40pounds and the more expensive sqew will include a game and additional storage.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Rumours are that The UK prices are set to be 199.99 - 249.99 gbp according to a source at Game. Which is what I thought would be the sweet spot, this has reignited my interest for the console and might even be good enough for me to place a pre-order

The pro controllers are apparently set to be 40pounds and the more expensive sqew will include a game and additional storage.

I could definitely go for one at that price in the UK... Also, sqew is a fantastic word you've invented there, although I feel like it's missing a "u" somewhere.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This might just be "we put in a preliminary price in the store CMS because Nintendo haven't told us yet, and oops! it accidentally went live" kind of a situation.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, $250? I hope this thing is actually nice. I'd rather it be $300 or whatever and actually be like...really nice/powerful. Doubt it is actually accurate.

MrPlatitude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That would be rad, but I highly doubt its launching under $300

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm calling BS, nothing launches at $245.99 in the US. If it were $249.99 then I would lend it more credence.

mattimus_prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

looks like the page has already been pulled. $245 seems low but at the same time it is using an updated version of the tegra chip that the nvidia shield uses, and that thing is only 200. so i guess i can believe this price, but only time will tell.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@belegorm said:

I'm calling BS, nothing launches at $245.99 in the US. If it were $249.99 then I would lend it more credence.

It's the Canadian site saying $329.99 CAD. The rest of the prices are just people converting that price to their local money. So it probably would be $249.99, not $245.99 (the Canadian price converted), if this is accurate.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it launches under 300 at the MINIMUM I would be super surprised, i bet it will be about 350us$

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

That sounds believable, but I think we need to take anything with a gain of salt. I would still bet on $299 to $350.

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's the right price.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Nvidia Shield Tablet K1 is only $199, and it seems like this thing with be an upgraded version of that with some controller attachments and a dock. I could see $250, though $300 sounds like a safer bet to me.

KirkyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By KirkyX

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/11/report-uk-retailer-game-to-price-nintendo-switch-from-199-99/

Laura Dale's corroborating the £199-£249 pricing at GAME in the UK with her sources, and she's been easily the most reliable/comprehensive source of Switch coverage so far - Austin was referring people her way after the announcement - so I'm now pretty much positive it's legit. Now, that isn't the RRP - console manufacturers can't set RRPs in the UK; retailers price consoles based on the wholesale cost to them - but it'll almost certainly be matched by other retailers.

This is a real surprise, and a pretty good sign for the Switch going forward, I think. I was worried they'd price themselves out of the handheld/3DS market, but the base Switch is only £20 more than a New 3DS XL, so when you factor in that it's a proper home console as well - if not as powerful as a PS4/One - well, I think they'll probably do pretty well out of it. I might actually get one at launch, and I definitely didn't see that coming.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If that ends up being the price, then I can't see a reason not to gamble on it.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#41  Edited By GERALTITUDE

That's a fine price in CDN but I expected $399 here, so coming in lower than I thought originally. Historically, this doesn't bode well for the accuracy of this price (re: everything costs more than I hope).

mgray5159

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think 250 is the max I want to pay for this.

PhilipDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By PhilipDuck
avenlaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems like you can now pre order in the UK with a Price Guarantee.

http://www.gameseek.co.uk/pd/Vidww4tgNSwitch/Nintendo-Switch-Console

SoCalGamer18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Less than a month until the unveil presentation, so it's certainly possible that Nintendo has made a final decision on a price point and that the MSRP was accidentally leaked by a distributor. Not sure I buy it being this cheap, but it's possible.

If the Switch is priced at $250, Nintendo is going to move a LOT of units very quickly. Wouldn't even be surprised to see shortages at that price point. System has built real buzz organically, and after the WiiU fiasco I feel there is a lot of pent-up demand by consumers who are otherwise interested in Nintendo hardware and IP but who never pulled the trigger on the WiiU.

Wonder what the fallout will be here for the 3DS? If the Switch is as portable friendly as most think, it's going to be hard to justify a $199 MSRP for a 3DS when consumers can get a Switch for just $50 more. Cannibalization of sales will happen and price cuts will have to come to the 3DS to support sales volume. Just wonder how deep those cuts will be and how quickly they will come.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Seems like the Nikkei newspaper is saying Nintendo Switch will sell for less than $250 in Japan. Or, at leats, Engadget is saying the Nikkei is saying that.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$250 would be a pretty smart move on Nintendos part. If it's at $300 or $350 they are hitting the original price of what the other consoles go for. The majority of people see this as a console lacking in power as it is, so for a brand new console to come out at this price instead of $300+ would definitely alleviate worries about how much this thing is going to cost.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

245$? that's cheaper than those new 3ds XL's isn't it? that's an insane price for a new video game console/handheld, if it holds true then i'll probably get one.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally a company that knows that € and $ aren't the same currency.

warpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By warpr

@soulcake said:

Finally a company that knows that € and $ aren't the same currency.

You have to keep in mind that the US price doesn't include sales tax (because it differs per state), but the prices in Europe always include VAT (because it is mandatory to advertise the "full" cost of something to consumers or something).

So if the switch ends up costing $250 in the USA, the equivalent price in the Netherlands with today's exchange rate would be EUR 237 + EUR 49 VAT = EUR 287.

Or if that gameseek.co.uk price is accurate (which seems crazy, I don't expect that to be the final price in europe):

GBP 198.50 includes 20% VAT, so without VAT it is GBP 165, which is equivalent to $203.