Am I really the only one who didn't like Avatar?

• 65 results
Expletive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Expletive

It seems like everyone loves Avatar and I just really don't understand it. 

I thought almost every character was cliche, and the story was formulaic and pretty much the plot from Last of the Mohicans. 
And the dialogue was just awful. 

And now people are starting to get angry at me for expressing my opinion, am I really the only one? 

EDIT: One more thing, that movie was about an hour too long.

Avatar image for supersecretagenda
SuperSecretAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SuperSecretAgenda

Yes.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By the8bitNacho

Probably.  The story was kinda of in the same ol' same ol' department, but had enough of a spin to it that I didn't really care.  The visuals and action were so astonishing and serene that I'm unlikely to forget this movie any time soon. 

Also, is it just me or has it suddenly become cool to hate James Cameron?  Last I checked Terminator, Terminator 2, Aliens, and whatever else he made were all excellent.  Titanic too.  I'm not fooled by the people that hate Titanic.  They loved it, and are just far too concerned about their balls falling off if they admit it.

Expletive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Expletive

Ok, I don't know why it posted blank. 
But what I was trying to say was that it seems like everyone loves Avatar and I just really don't understand it. 

I thought almost every character was cliche, and the story was formulaic and pretty much the plot from Last of the Mohicans. 
And the dialogue was just awful. 

And now people are starting to get angry at me for expressing my opinion, am I really the only one?

Expletive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Expletive

Also, those aliens look fucking stupid, I mean the man made Aliens for gods sake he knows what a cool alien looks like. 
yet the ones in this movie ended up as 10ft tall blue cat-indians.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By penguindust
@expletive:   If you look at any of the ungodly number of Avatar threads in the forum, you'll see that not everyone had nothing but positive things to say about the movie.  It's okay if you did or didn't like Avatar or Star Wars or whatever.  They're just movies and it shouldn't take away anyone else's enjoyment of the movie if it wasn't to your taste.  If you didn't like it, it doesn't mean that you are somehow less of a person. 
super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By super_machine
@expletive said:
" Ok, I don't know why it posted blank. But what I was trying to say was that it seems like everyone loves Avatar and I just really don't understand it.  I thought almost every character was cliche, and the story was formulaic and pretty much the plot from Last of the Mohicans. And the dialogue was just awful.  And now people are starting to get angry at me for expressing my opinion, am I really the only one? "
From that point of view, you have a very valid point. However, I look at it as a good piece of escapist entertainment. In that respect, Avatar delivered in spades. And, despite any similarities to existing themes, I think the story can stand on its own. I watched was 2012 last week, so Avatar was 100 steps above that.  If I want to watch a great movie I'll pop in Yojimbo.
Expletive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Expletive
@PenguinDust:  
Well, thanks for being a civil person. 

But for the record I like Star Wars :P
Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Death_Unicorn

I don't like it! You are not alone!

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By the8bitNacho
@expletive: I wasn't getting angry about you expressing your opinion.  I simply brought up another point in my own response.  I think avatar was great.  The "alien" designs were fine.  The world was beautiful.  The story, however cliche, was engaging mostly because of the level of familiarity that most any movie-goer will have with it. 

You didn't enjoy it?  Fine.  Whatever.  I'm seeing it again tomorrow.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By penguindust
@super_machine said:
"...If I want to watch a great movie I'll pop in Yojimbo. "
Among my all-time favorites.  Also, check out Sanjuro if you haven't already.
Expletive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Expletive
@Kombat:  
Just so you know, I wasn't referring to you as getting mad at me. 
I hadn't even seen your post yet when I said that.
Expletive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Expletive
@super_machine:  
Well, thank you kindly. 
I haven't seen 2012 but I'm sure Avatar was better than that. 

@Death_Unicorn:  
Yes! Let us unite.
the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By the8bitNacho
@expletive: It's all cool.  
super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By super_machine
@PenguinDust said:
" @super_machine said:
"...If I want to watch a great movie I'll pop in Yojimbo. "
Among my all-time favorites.  Also, check out Sanjuro if you haven't already. "
Dude, I have a box set of most of kurosawa's films. Roshomon, sanjuro, stray dogs, thrones of blood, the hidden fortress, seven samurai. Now those are good films.
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By ProfessorEss

I don't disrespect any opinions out of hand but I'm kind of glad the pre-release anti-hype surrounding Avatar is being balanced out with some positivity now that people are finally seeing the movie.

I haven't seen it yet myself, and may not end up getting around to seeing it in theater but most people I know who saw it were fairly to very impressed.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By spankingaddict

dont know, but im VERY picky about movies and would be happy to say that Avatar is my favorite film ever!

stinky51012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By stinky51012
@expletive said:
"   It seems like everyone loves Avatar and I just really don't understand it.  I thought almost every character was cliche, and the story was formulaic and pretty much the plot from Last of the Mohicans. And the dialogue was just awful.  And now people are starting to get angry at me for expressing my opinion, am I really the only one? "
You are not the only one, we need to stick together and get our money back from Jimmy Cameron just like the boys did with Mel Gibson in South Park.
JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JCGamer

It's really interesting how Avatar managed to develop such negative buzz in the fan-boy world.  One of my friends absolutely refuses to see it because he hates "cat-people"--how does one even develop that particular dislike?  I really enjoyed the film, but could see how some other might find it boring.

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By gingertastic_10

No, I'm sure there are thousands if not millions who hate it too. I loved it, but there are few movies that I don't like.

AlexB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By AlexB

Probably. With all its faults Avatar is a fantastic achievement and the main criticism with it is small nitpicky stuff that really shouldn't detract from the overall experience. But people HAVE to complain I guess. I'm not saying you have to like the movie, it just seems really stupid that people would complain about common sense things. 

"Oh, it's too loonnnnng." So would you like to chop off an hour and get rid of a part of the story? Like any creative property, this would greatly destroy any vision of what the director is trying to do. Suck it up and deal with it. 

"The story is cliche-blah,blah,blah." If this story is cliche then everything is cliche by now. Yes we can relate this story to a futuristic Dances with wolves or another cowboys and Indians story, but we can do that with just about any movie nowadays. Make your comparisons, but you can not deny the innovation in its 3D and special effects.

Moreover, people just really need to quit complaining and take it for what it is. Really it is just depressing and it wears on me that people can't take joy in something for some minuscule reason that in all honesty should be overlooked.

Expletive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Expletive
@AlexB:  
Wow, way to be mature. 
It really helps your case when you mock people.
Expletive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Expletive
@AlexB:  
And no, I'm not suggesting that they just "chop" an hour off, but people are able to tell stories in reasonable amounts of time quite often. 
It's just about knowing how to write a movie, and part of that is restraint. 
Avatar image for aperturesilence
ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By ApertureSilence

Narratively, Avatar is an extremely flawed film, and anyone not liking it is perfectly understandable. 

It is also a remarkable technical achievement, and anyone liking it is perfectly understandable.

AlexB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 10

#25  Edited By AlexB
@expletive said:
" @AlexB:  Wow, way to be mature. It really helps your case when you mock people. "
Excuse my immaturity then lol. I'll try to keep my opinions censored from now on. hahaha
Expletive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Expletive
@AlexB: I'm not at all suggesting that you censor your opinions, just that you don't go out of your way to insult others in the process.
Avatar image for aperturesilence
ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By ApertureSilence
@expletive: Also, that his opinions are wrong. Yes the movie is too long, Cameron as "auteur" be damned, and "everything is cliche nowadays" is a ridiculous excuse for the serious derivativeness of Avatar's plot. 

Mind you, just because Avatar is flawed doesn't make it a bad movie. Most of the critics that have hailed the movie as a masterpiece fully acknowledge the problems. (and we haven't even mentioned the ludicrous hu-rah marine dialogue and ham-fisted exposition yet).
Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By Romination

I really think that a lot of the movie's good buzz is around it being such a technological circle jerk. it's the only part that wowed ME. And I'll agree that Avatar's clichedness doesn't mean anything about "everything being cliched". The only difference this really has from a stupid kids movie about how someone had to go undercover but fell in love and started helping the "resistance" is that it's got big blue people and aliens and space marines.  It even goes as far as to seem like Cameron is ripping himself off at points, what with, you know, the final battle being with someone in a mech suit. And space marines. I dunno. I didn't like it.

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By super_machine

The only thing that pissed me off about the movie was people bitching about the political undertones in a facebook post I wrote. Its a fucking movie, I don't care if there are left wing environmentalist undertones. In the context of the film, they made a decent point about preserving the balance of nature. Outside the film, that point failed the moment they signed a deal to have the big mac become the official hamburger of Avatar.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Whisperkill
@expletive said:

" Also, those aliens look fucking stupid, I mean the man made Aliens for gods sake he knows what a cool alien looks like. yet the ones in this movie ended up as 10ft tall blue cat-indians. "

Well Aliens and the Navii (spelling?) are two totally different things. He wanted them to look like native spiritual people with a warrior side. Although I will agree that if they had whiskers they would have totally been cat people.

I would also like to point out he did not create Alien only the second one. Therefore he did not originate the design.
Expletive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Expletive
@Whisperkill: 
Yeah, I'm not saying they should have been all bad ass and scary like the aliens. 
Just that he could have done something better with them.
Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Whisperkill
@expletive: 

Yeah, I was kind of waiting for a beast to show up that was utterly horrifying. They hyped up that red bird thing when the pilot said they were hardly the biggest things in the sky, but it wasn't all that great.
super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By super_machine
@expletive said:

" @Whisperkill: Yeah, I'm not saying they should have been all bad ass and scary like the aliens. Just that he could have done something better with them. "

Yeah I agree. I think for such an alien world as he created, the navii look way to human like. Seeing as they are the hero species of the film they were designed to be likable and familiar for the audience to relate to their struggle. So I can look past that. The reason the Aliens in the Alien franchise were such good villans was because they were a wild perversion of the human form. Nothing says twisted alien creature like a phallic headed space monster that has a penis with teeth protruding from the mouth.
ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ahriman22

So when is it going to become a rule that you can't make threads about that Movie? Because at this point it's pretty annoying that there are like 3 or more Avatar threads on the first page.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35  Edited By Red

I thought it was a decent movie, but solely for its action and special effects. 
Otherwise, I completely agree with what you said. I literally rolled my eyes at some of the lines.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36  Edited By Evilsbane

No dude I can respect that you didn't like the movie, but that doesn't mean I think you are wrong :D

It was Dances with Wolves in space, yea that was the story I am not gonna lie or try to hide it, but I still found the movie breathtaking and fun in all the right ways, and my God the IMAX 3D never looked so good.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BestUsernameEver
@AlexB said:
" Probably. With all its faults Avatar is a fantastic achievement and the main criticism with it is small nitpicky stuff that really shouldn't detract from the overall experience. But people HAVE to complain I guess. I'm not saying you have to like the movie, it just seems really stupid that people would complain about common sense things.   "Oh, it's too loonnnnng." So would you like to chop off an hour and get rid of a part of the story? Like any creative property, this would greatly destroy any vision of what the director is trying to do. Suck it up and deal with it.   "The story is cliche-blah,blah,blah." If this story is cliche then everything is cliche by now. Yes we can relate this story to a futuristic Dances with wolves or another cowboys and Indians story, but we can do that with just about any movie nowadays. Make your comparisons, but you can not deny the innovation in its 3D and special effects.  Moreover, people just really need to quit complaining and take it for what it is. Really it is just depressing and it wears on me that people can't take joy in something for some minuscule reason that in all honesty should be overlooked. "
What about Momento? That proves a movie can stay away from Cliche' ideas. Stop being so pretentious, just because you are given the freedom to act like a dick on these forums, doesn't mean you should. You, my sir, are the one complaining. Nitpicking as well. Stop, and take a moment to realize it's not just you in this world. 

P.S. "Special effects"???? Really? Are you my grandma, that thinks anything with CGI is special in the movie industry? I guarantee you, it isn't. So, go, preorder Avatar for Blu-ray, pleasure yourself to a smurf episode.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d99c8cd85096
deactivated-5d99c8cd85096

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No! You are not alone! I didn't like it at all. People saying it's the best science fiction film in recent memory when DISTRICT 9 came out a few months ago baffles me.

mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By mesklinite

The movie's story was meh. The 3d was amazing... no. Beyond amazing. It looked real.
sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By sickVisionz

Most movies have cliches and formulaic things about them.  If you're looking for something completely unlike anything else ever made... you'll probably be disappointed in pretty much every film ever made.  I thought Avatar put enough of its own twist on the whole, "white man comes to another culture and sexually dominates its women and becomes a God in the eyes of the people"  story to be interesting.  Different strokes for different folks though.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By maxszy
@expletive: I haven't seen it yet but your complaints are about the story which I would say, is rather silly. Only because it isn't supposed to be a remastering in the story department. I love a great story, but I don't think this film is supposed to be doing that. Sure its predictable, maybe cliche is some spots but does it work? I've heard from many that yes it indeed does work for what it is supposed to do. 

So if you like, go ahead and discredit me because I haven't seen it. That's ok, I understand. But from everything I have read, getting hung up on the story is rather absurd because that part wasn't supposed to reinvent the wheel.
damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#42  Edited By damnboyadvance
@expletive said:
"EDIT: One more thing, that movie was about an hour too long. "
Maybe a few minutes too long, but not an hour. Explain your reasoning.
Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Bones8677

The movie was good, but the story is ripped from half a dozen other movies I can think of right now. Plus, they really didn't even bother to explain a lot of things. Like how did they find Pandora? Who thought up the idea for the Avatars, how do they actually work? Stuff like that.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By natetodamax

The answer to these questions is always no.

IcySandman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By IcySandman
@Zombutler said:
" No! You are not alone! I didn't like it at all. People saying it's the best science fiction film in recent memory when DISTRICT 9 came out a few months ago baffles me. "
Yes!

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Djeffers03

i forgave the storyline because it looked stunning and I had never seen a 3d movie that worked so well 

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#49  Edited By sjschmidt93

What's up with people bashing length? Movies are becoming longer and longer and it gets old hearing people say every single movie over 120 minutes is too long.  

Watch the Watchmen Ultimate Cut and then complain. 

With games anything below 5 or 6 hours is too short, anything above 2 for movies is too long. Do you really want to buy a $20 Blu-ray and only get 90 minutes out of it?

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By RetroIce4

I thought the movie was good, not as a great as people say. I liked it, but the story just turned me off. Visuals and action made up for that. Just seemed to predictable.