Anime & Cartoon Megathread IV: We Must Limbo To Send This Thread On Its Way

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

@golguin: there were two mystery shows dealing with murdered people, the aforementioned Beautiful Bones and The Perfect Insider ("Subete ga F ni Naru"). The former has multiple dead bodies spanning 1-2 episodes each (though there is a story thread connecting most of them that appears near the end) and the latter is just about 1 murder in a high-tech lab that spans the whole season. I think Perfect Insider was better, but Sakurako made the other show enjoyable as well.

peregrin38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@seinenfeld: Agreed on just about everything here. Phantom World was a huge disappointment (I KNOW YOU CAN DO BETTER KYOANI), but I was VERY pleasantly surprised by Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinju. I'm willing to bet it will be my favorite for this season by a mile, although I'm still filtering through a fair number of shows.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Just converted someone into a massive Kaiba fan. So proud of myself.

rubberluffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Just converted someone into a massive Kaiba fan. So proud of myself.

No Caption Provided

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

peregrin38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dochaus: I am shocked by how reasonable this is for an internet community top-10 list. I would've expected way more moeblob than this. God bless this community :'D

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5557  Edited By edgaras1103

Guys? Dan Machi was not utter trash. Some episodes were even better than OK. But the last 4 or so episodes felt rushed and quite weak.

Blood Lad seems not bad.

And surprised how much Death Parade is liked, I thought the potential was there but apart from 2 specific episodes everything else was meh. At least Hibike got 3rd. And might check out Yuri Kuma Arashi, never heard of it.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

Nice to see that Yuri Kuma and Shirobako was up there. The surprise was how low Fate was but given that it is a remake of sorts it makes sense.

jordanxjordan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@metalsnakezero: Shirobako was such a pleasant surprise. It's captured actual life better than most sappy, dramatic SOL shows.

burke163

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really nice variety in that list. I pleasantly surprised Yuri Kuma Arashi came in so high, and I'm really happy Shirobako made it on the list.

Shame Noragami season 2 didn't make the cut. Season 2 did a really good job of having emotional and dramatic moments between characters that further fleshed them out, along with still being a damn good action show.

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Chihayafuru so far. Seems quite enjoyable.

jordanxjordan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edgaras1103: I'm about 10 episodes in. I hate that I put it off of so long.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Caught up on Lupin III, really amazing show that I wish I watched last year, would've been one of my top 3.

You'd think adding a new recurring character would go badly but they add 2 (Rebecca and Nyx) that work fantastically with the main crew. It's nothing groundbreaking, they'll still do their character specific stories where Jigen or Goemon will be the star, but it's a lot of fun. Not really sure where this story with MI6 is going to go, but with how the show has gone so far, I'm fully onboard.

birdvsplane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally gave "Madoka" a shot. Went in totally dark besides the recommendation to "keep with it" as I'm not huge on a lot of anime (especially magical girl stuff), but hot damn, I blazed trough the entire series and "Rebellion" in no time.

All of it was just so good! I was so entranced by the witch/curse/nightmare art. So gorgeous.

Have been told to try out "Yuki Yuna" for a similar vibe.

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5565  Edited By edgaras1103

So Chihayafuru seems ok, the matches are a bit boring and all the rules a bit too much for me. This is one of the shows where I look forward to character interactions in down time more than the main game itself. Also side characters look a bit bland , their faces especially seems out of place compared to main characters. Probably watch more.

And finally decided to give Clannad a chance, heard good things but always was put off by character design. Those eyes, not a fan of them.

Seinenfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5566  Edited By Seinenfeld

Chihayafuru is GODLIKE. One of my favourite anime of all time. I'll write a big thing about it one day, but for now let me just say that Chihaya is one of the best anime protagonists and the side characters are also excellent. I'm also a very big fan of how the game is portrayed, where it's sort of like a sport and art at the same time, and the way the different characters view it, treat it, and have their lives affected by it (like, EVERYTHING in the show comes back to karuta one way or another). And some of the reader performances are phenomenal (which makes sense since I believe they got some actual readers in to do them). It's also incredibly well-directed and put together because they clearly had no budget but it still flows so smoothly.

InstantRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@recspec: I'm with you in that Lupin III has been a great surprise for me. Besides The Castle of Cagliostro, I was always indifferent to Lupin. Back when it was shown on Adult Swim or Toonami, it was always before or after whichever show I really wanted to watch so I largely ignored it. This is the first part I really made an effort to watch and it's been really good. Also, the OP pops into mind every once in a while during the week and then I won't be able to get it out of my head for a while.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn Hyouka is sooooooooooo good.

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally gave "Madoka" a shot. Went in totally dark besides the recommendation to "keep with it" as I'm not huge on a lot of anime (especially magical girl stuff), but hot damn, I blazed trough the entire series and "Rebellion" in no time.

All of it was just so good! I was so entranced by the witch/curse/nightmare art. So gorgeous.

Have been told to try out "Yuki Yuna" for a similar vibe.

Yuki Yuna is better than Madoka for me. I just felt like they were a stronger cast of characters and I liked the concept more.

burke163

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daveyo520: I love that show so much. That was that year's "Anime and chill" show for me. I'm waiting for my crappy memory to forget a bit more so I can go and rewatch it.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@birdvsplane: Let just say it No Madoka magica.

Nothing can live up to Madoka. At least nothing has come out that's come close to touching it. Also, Homura is best girl.

Question to everyone here. Why isn't Iron Blooded Orphans being streamed new on Crunchyroll or Funimation? What happened?

jordanxjordan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@birdvsplane: Madoka got spoiled for me before I could watch it, so the impact was much less than it could've been. Glad you went into without knowing what was actually going to happen.

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

I would like to see this movie one day. I wonder if it got canceled.

InstantRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin said:

Question to everyone here. Why isn't Iron Blooded Orphans being streamed new on Crunchyroll or Funimation? What happened?

Are you talking about how Crunchyroll (Don't use Funimation) gets the latest episode a week after it airs? I couldn't answer that but I would assume it's something to do with licensing. I just use Daisuki for IBO and anything else they have that's not on CR or CR is behind on.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@edgaras1103: Probably got canceled. That woman looks about 10 years to old to be the lead character in an anime. I say that as a joke, of course, but there's a hint of depressing truth in there as well...

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@babychoochoo: eh, she's still got that tsundere look, so all is well , even if she's older.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5578  Edited By Daveyo520

Oh yeah I totally went to Japan last month. I didn't mention that yet. Here are some

albums. There is some anime stuff in there, like Eva ice cream for example (it was not bad).

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daveyo520: Looks super cool. I like how every photo is just filled with something interesting even if it a regular product.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

My CR premium ran out, can't really afford to renew it right now so I tried watching with ads.

While catching up on Haikyu! one of the first ads was for the second season of Haikyu that spoiled something major for me. Thanks Crunchyroll.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@metalsnakezero: It was really amazing there. Very different, yet similar to here. It was cool to see things that are normal in the States but slightly off and also to see things that are completely different. Like how every store/building had their heat turned up waaaay too much or that there were pretty much no trash cans anywhere and when you found one it was a big deal. It was very busy and crowded most places though, I guess lively is the right word to use. Tokyo and to a lesser extent Osaka were like Time Square everywhere pretty much, lots of flashing signs and adds and such.

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daveyo520: I might be wrong about this, but I think you have a tiny bit of interest in Love Live?

Also what was that bear dish? Looked tasty. And maan all these majestic temples and areas with minimal amount of people just speaks so much to me. Maybe one day.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edgaras1103: Never.

That was a curry rice at a maid cafe in Akihabara. Maid cafes are super dumb but I had to eat there once because when in Rome. You would like Kyoto, over 1600 temples and shrines. Thoughh they get really busy during the day. If you go during off hours I am sure they would be emptyish like that.

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gintama 305 - Gintama is pretty powerful sometimes, you guys. What an episode.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gintama 305 - Gintama is pretty powerful sometimes, you guys. What an episode.

What arc is the show on now?

InstantRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edgaras1103: Cause I read the manga like all the other cool, hip kids. And anime is for jerks.

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

InstantRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edgaras1103: Finally watched the Gintama episode. Stuff like that is why Gintama will always be one of my all time favorites.

As an anime only person for Gintama, now I know why everyone was hyping up this arc. It's been incredible.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5591  Edited By Hamst3r

@babychoochoo said:

@edgaras1103: anime is for jerks.

I dunno, I don't think this guy watches anime...

No Caption Provided

He looks like a Manga guy to me.

Seinenfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So last year I started the regrettable practice of trying to watch all of the first episodes of each new anime season. That has continued this season. I have provided some comments already, and left out a bunch. Here are some of the ones I still remember. I hate myself.

Dagashi Kashi: Was not that bad. It may have even gotten some smirks out of me (the dad is pretty great). It also features two crazy girls so I'm kinda on-board almost.

Dimension W: decent first episode but a bunch of things that irritated (the ones I remember: "HEY GUYS THIS ROBOT GIRL SURE HAS A BUTT HUH, LOOK, HERE'S HER BUTT, LOOK AT THAT SHIT" and "hey guys it's me, anime narrator that has a 50% chance to show up in the first ep to explain a thing to you because we couldn't be bothered to find a better way to do this". But there is a morally ambiguous old man who hates technology so I'm in for now.

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!: WHO LIKES VIDEO GAMES?!?!?!?! EH?? WELL WHAT IF VID GAMES BUT ANIME??? This was actually alright though, minus the obvious fanservice a show of this type would include. May binge-watch when the season's over when life takes a dark turn and I've had one too many donuts.

Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm: I like Quidditch-but-with-flying-shoes-instead-of-brooms-and-also-not-actually-like-Quidditch-except-that-it's-in-the-air. Fuck the rest of this. Also despite having anime girls flying in the air wearing skirts, there wasn't any fanservice... until the main male character OBVIOUSLY sees the MC getting changed, did I even need to spoiler this shit?

Saijaku Muhai no Bahamut: What if we took every cliche and trope in the anime playbook and threw them into a show with pretty girls? We'd get this, and I'd actually not be as bored during the episode as some others this season. But fuck this show, and fuck anime for what it hath wrought upon us.

A Bunch of Other Shit: most anime is shit, this season is no exception. I didn't write them all down, because I have not lost all of my sanity quite yet.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5593  Edited By GaspoweR

@golguin: Probably has to do with Daisuki having first week exclusive rights to simulcast it while the other services get it a week later. I think it was a similar case with a number of anime they had that was also streamed on the other services as well like Kuroku's Basketball and God Eater.

I'm gonna start watching Sekko Boys.

I'm getting ready to be disappointed but dammit that premise is so fucking dumb that it might actually be really good.

Dammit @dochaus, I should have voted....Wakakozake should have had a spot in the top 10 and I should have influenced people to vote for it....DAMN IT ALL!!! ;_;

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edgaras1103: (Love Live! is the best) (It is also the worst)

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really anime related, but I've been thinking about playing The Witcher 3 with the Japanese dub. Heard a lot of good things about it, and the fact Tanaka Atsuko (Kusanagi Motoko; voicing Yennefer) and Sawashiro Miyuki (Ciri) voice major characters pretty much means I will play with the Japanese dub at some point.

Wonder if any of you folk have given the Japanese dub a shot. If it's as good as people say, I'll just switch over now and play with the English dub for NG+.

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zomgfruitbunnies: japanese Geralt sounds bad, like it just does not fit. Yen sound alright, Ciri sounds good, better than english one. Polish and Russian Ciri sounds best.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

If you guys think this Gintama arc is crazy and amazing just wait. The one that succeeds it in the manga is even better. I don't know if they're going to start it after this arc in the anime though, given they're starting to inch pretty close to the manga.

But word, fucking amazing episode, amazing arc, amazing series. If you aren't following it you hate anime and manga.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

A midst my torrid love affair with Tales from the Borderlands over the weekend (fantastic game by the way, everyone should play it) I've been keeping up with my normal weekly diet of anime.

Gintama is still fantastic. I love that despite Gori-sensei's very unconventional approach to story telling he always stays consistent with making it a series very much grounded in the actual nation of Japan and plays with a lot of those cultural themes spectacularly. All the while he makes something heartfelt, hilarious, and badass in a way only this series can still get away with after all these years. Honestly the longer Gintama runs the more it pushes down all of my other favorite things to become my favorite TV show period.

Haikyuu!! is still great. I can't quite explain it but I think something about the exuberance of the characters is infectious in a way that makes me smile.

One Piece is still bad and getting worse. They've built up to a climax for this next episode and I'm preparing myself for disappointment.

Prince of Stride - Alternative. So of all the new shows this season this seemed like the only one I'd be into. First episode is okay. I mean it's dumb as hell but in the way I like in this genre. Second episode was sort of lame. Didn't think this show was going to get yaoi as fuck already but there ya go. I must admit that comedy is not something done very well in sports anime in my experience but I just don't find these characters funny at all.

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mezmero: Dude, don't torture yourself with one piece.

InstantRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mezmero: For Haikyuu!!, I think it's not only the characterization of the Karasuno players, but it does a really good job of making you care about in some form for all the other teams/players, important or not.. I want to see the 2m giant and his team again with improved skills. I love the cheer for Date Tech and also want to see one of their matches again. How strong is Ushijima? It's stuff like the above that vaults Haikyuu!! into the upper echelon of sports anime for me.

@edgaras1103: Watching One Piece every weekend for over a decade means the torture never stops. It's too ingrained into my soul