Anime Megathread III and Cartoon Megathread I!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@hailinel said:

Watching uncut Sailor Moon episode 1 right now. Oh my god, this is a wonderful day.

Where? I feel like I should figure out what all this Sailor Moon talk is about. Also, do actual images from the new one exist anywhere, or is Sailor Moon Inc. tight-lipped about this sort of thing?

Streaming on HULU. 4 episodes right now. I think they add 4 everyday or week i forget.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/635231

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Watching uncut Sailor Moon episode 1 right now. Oh my god, this is a wonderful day.

@hailinel said:

Where? I feel like I should figure out what all this Sailor Moon talk is about. Also, do actual images from the new one exist anywhere, or is Sailor Moon Inc. tight-lipped about this sort of thing?

It's on Hulu. First two episodes went up today.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king said:

@hailinel said:

Streaming on HULU. 4 episodes right now. I think they add 4 everyday or week i forget.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/635231

Holy shit it is four. I thought it was just two!

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

I haven't even gotten into the episode itself (just commercials); is it ever explained why somebody named their child "Rabbit"?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't even gotten into the episode itself (just commercials); is it ever explained why somebody named their child "Rabbit"?

Usagi is just her name, dude. But she is a pretty flighty girl.

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Is this now a Sailor Moon thread?

'Cuz I'm kinda okay with this.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#1608  Edited By bigjeffrey

No Caption Provided

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

Usagi is just her name, dude.

Still a weird name, especially seeing how it's her actual name and not just a pet name or something.

Having watched the episode now, I can see why people want the uncut versions. There was a time in anime when localization companies basically followed 4Kids policies, wasn't there?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

Still a weird name, especially seeing how it's her actual name and not just a pet name or something.

Having watched the episode now, I can see why people want the uncut versions. There was a time in anime when localization companies basically followed 4Kids policies, wasn't there?

DiC was 4Kids before there was 4Kids.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'm watching the first episode of Sailor Moon now. One of my earliest memories of the show was seeing a bad guy get impaled through the stomach and he was bleeding green blood and one of the human girls was crying over him because I guess he wasn't really a bad guy. I wonder how the scene looks now compared to my memory from over 20 years ago.

This is literally some crazy shit because Sailor Moon is literally part of some of my earliest childhood memories along with Ranma 1/2. Oh god, I don't think I've ever typed "Ranma" before. Mind blown.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just finished watching the first four Sailor Moon episodes. The fact that the series is finally avaiable officially in English and without any cuts is still mindblowing. And the series is still fantastic. I love it.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#1613  Edited By ArbitraryWater

My memories of Sailor Moon are so vague at this point I might as well give it a watch. Clearly no other reason.

EDIT: OH WAIT HULU IS THE WORST. THIS KFC DOUBLE DOWN AD IS MURDERING MY SOUL.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@hailinel said:

It's not weird at all for me since some Spanish names are directly animals. "Paloma" is a girl name, but it's also Spanish for "dove."

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My memories of Sailor Moon are so vague at this point I might as well give it a watch. Clearly no other reason.

If I can sit through auto insurance ads ad nauseum, you can take some fast food ads!

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@arbitrarywater said:

If I can sit through auto insurance ads ad nauseum, you can take some fast food ads!

They're all so terrible, but the KFC stuff with the fake internet bloggers makes me want to gouge my eyes out.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@arbitrarywater said:

They're all so terrible, but the KFC stuff with the fake internet bloggers makes me want to gouge my eyes out.

Totally worth it. Sailor Moon is literally the first program Hulu has ever aired that made me want to use their service.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: Well, consider yourself fortunate. As someone who has used Hulu to watch series that were either airing on TV or, for some reason or another, weren't on Netflix (or in the case of Anime, Crunchyroll), I am continually reminded how crummy it is in the grand pantheon of streaming services. Sailor Moon is... well, it's something. Better than the American dub. Or this gem that I just remembered existed

Loading Video...
Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Can someone tell me why this is such a big deal? The uncensored DVDs have been subbed for a while.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1620  Edited By GaspoweR
BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#1621  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@gaspower: Yuuuuup and I'm loving it. The Microsoft Powerpoint backgrounds, some recycled jokes, and a few other things were bothering me quite a bit, but the show is just so goddamn charming that all that I couldn't stay mad at it. And, holy shit, Ritsu is just like the cutest character ever.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bocam said:

Can someone tell me why this is such a big deal? The uncensored DVDs have been subbed for a while.

This is the first time that the series will be officially available in English. No North American publisher has released any portion of the series on any home media of any sort in over a decade. And this will be the first time that Super S and Sailor Stars will be available in North America. That and the print restoration is looking even better than the restoration given to the most recent Japanese release. Further, for those that like their anime dubbed in English, the entire show is being redubbed with a new script and a cast that was approved by Sailor Moon's creator, which in numerous ways put the original English dub to shame before it's even finished.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@gaspower: I'm watching it and enjoying it a whole lot. I do have a few issues with it, mostly the low hanging fruit that they go for every once in a while that straight up misses it's mark, but it's still charming as all hell. I think it hits more than it misses in terms of humor and that has kept me excited for each episode.

I kinda fell in love with it after the Birth of Venus joke.
I kinda fell in love with it after the Birth of Venus joke.

Mechanical_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king said:

There actually is a reason why her name is the Japanese word for Rabbit. Her name in the Japanese version is Tsukino Usagi. When spaced out differently, it becomes Tsuki no Usagi or Rabbit of the Moon. It relates back to Japanese folklore that connects rabbits and the moon.

The last names of all the main characters work the same way - Mizuno (Water), Kino (Tree), Aino (Love), and Hino (Fire). Each one relates to their specific element/planet.

And yes, I officially know far more about Sailor Moon than any grown man ever should.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@viciousbearmauling: oh Shirosaki! Always pays his rent on time and never fails to be a total creep but dammit I can't hate the guy :D

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

Moonlight Denetsu is one of the best anime opening songs

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1627  Edited By AlexanderSheen

Damn it! Hulu is not available in my country and I can't even get it in other ways. Ah well, I am absorbed in this fuckin' Love Live rhythm game anyway...

@gaspower: Yep, it's pretty good. Liking it more and more with each episode.

Mayumi <3
Mayumi <3

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zomgfruitbunnies said:

No Caption Provided

Oh yeah, they don't draw them like this any more.

Even given the live action show, I'm surprised someone hasn't tried to reboot this series.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar: You mean aside from the reboot that is currently in production? Sailor Moon Crystal isn't that far off.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@extomar: You mean aside from the reboot that is currently in production? Sailor Moon Crystal isn't that far off.

My memory is bad because I read that as a continuation off of one of the series but I readily admit that I have no confidence in that memorized info that got buried in with the other 25 year anniversary stuff. That was mostly from idle wondering especially after watching gobs of Pretty Cure (they are up to 10+ by now) a substitute and seeing how "easy" it would be to do.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know, Umino, I can understand reading comics instead of studying. But why did you go to class in the first place? Just so you could tell the teacher that you don't give a fuck? That's a new level of asshole. Also:

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#1632  Edited By vigorousjammer
@hailinel said:

HOLY SHIT YOU GUYS THE ORIGINAL SAILOR MOON SERIES IS GETTING A DOMESTIC UNCUT RELEASE.

Loading Video...

OH MAN!

I never ended up watching much of it, only a few episodes of the horrible DiC version back when it used to air on Toonami, and I would be waiting for Dragonball Z to come on... but I always had a soft spot for the show, and had always meant to go back to it and re-watch it in it's original form.

Now, with these gorgeous looking re-masters, I've got an even larger incentive to!

I'll probably wait for the English dub, just because I'm curious. Also, If it's well done, I think I'd rather watch it in English (even though I typically go for subs).

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1634  Edited By EXTomar

@video_game_king said:

You know, Umino, I can understand reading comics instead of studying. But why did you go to class in the first place? Just so you could tell the teacher that you don't give a fuck? That's a new level of asshole. Also:

I think that was the episode that taught me that "bad kids" in Japan riot and rage in complete unanimous conformity.

familyguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really loving this Spring season of Anime. I haven't had this good of a season in a while. Summer looks like it will be just as good!

darkpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1637  Edited By darkpower

@hailinel said:

Just finished watching the first four Sailor Moon episodes. The fact that the series is finally avaiable officially in English and without any cuts is still mindblowing. And the series is still fantastic. I love it.

Yeah, I knew it was going to be a huge get for Hulu (thank you for making me want to renew my sub, Viz).

There was this small thing I thought they would do to the episodes because of a fear of causing seizures (because this show was finished airing before the Porygon incident, and we know how conscious they've been to the strobe effects anymore because of), but the third episode (the Midnight Zero thing) proved me wrong somewhat. The few scenes where Luna is screaming or in shock do have a purple/red strobe taking up the whole screen, but it's dimmed, and Luna is in a good bit of the shot. The Youma death does have a bright white light strobe, but doesn't last long enough to do much of anything (and Sailor Moon didn't have too many, if any, of the strobes, and that Porygon incident was a rare case in where you wonder what they were smoking when they let an episode like that through with so many bright and lengthy strobe lighting effects). Still, though, I'm wondering if they will be "cautious" in the future.

I do wonder, too, if they will up the count of the episodes to more than four per week. If people do demand more, and Viz is ready, willing, and able to deliver, then I'm all for a marathon of it. This is a good thing: to want more. I'm just very anxious to see them do R, since I think that's one of the best seasons along with S.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

finished zetsuen no tempest and absolutely loved it.my friend told me to watch it and it became one of our fave animes.

rubberluffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

David Pro. definitely enjoying having a budget this season of JoJo. Ep 8 was super fun, mostly because Polnareff is best, but also because they put some good effort in making the fight creepy, fun and dynamic looking.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Well, the eighth episode of Abarenbou Rikishi!! Matsutarou is the last one I can sit through because the protagonist is just an utter piece of shit. And I don't mean that in an anti-hero kind of way, he's an ass and a bully with no redeeming qualities. I've yet to see any sign of redemption, so if it's coming sometime, it's coming too late for me.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In a series with an unironic, utterly self serious protagonist, my favorite character just so happens to be the girl who's always stuffing food down her face. (I'm talking about Attack on Titan.)

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am simply ashamed it took me this long to watch Princess Mononoke. What a fucking amazing movie. At this rate, I'll finally finish the other MIyazaki films I haven't seen by about 2086.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Soul Eater NOT! episode 7 - Woah, shit just got real! I haven't thought they would go as far as to kill off one of the supporting characters. So far everything was fluff and rainbows and then *BAM!* a slam in the face. I think this abrupt change in tone means we gonna get the actual plot moving forward.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@sergio said:

Well, the eighth episode of Abarenbou Rikishi!! Matsutarou is the last one I can sit through because the protagonist is just an utter piece of shit. And I don't mean that in an anti-hero kind of way, he's an ass and a bully with no redeeming qualities. I've yet to see any sign of redemption, so if it's coming sometime, it's coming too late for me.

See that's the part I like about it. Admittedly it's not much of a sports show but as a comedy I'd say it's pretty funny. Just speaking as someone who tends to watch sports anime somewhat obsessively, even I get tired of the milquetoast main protagonists that already plague enough of regular ass anime. That's why I dig all the extremely self centered main characters in this genre. It's the kind of attitude I find a lot more believable for a prize fighter to have. It reminds me of Ashita no Joe in a way where the main character is a dude you do not tell what to do unless you expect to get hurt. And as far as I'm concerned Takamura is the main character of Hajime no Ippo.

As for the rest of the sports season Haikyuu is categorically the best in terms of overall quality. However I think I still like Ping Pong a bit more. It's leaning into more a slice of life direction, which is not my favorite and the animation takes some getting use to but something about that trippy sense of style is hitting me in a big way. I might have to drop Yowamushi Pedal. Though it had a good premise it's been getting harder to watch.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is still incredible. I'm reminded that this series is just as much about the insane villains that create these battles as it is about the bizarre adventures of Jojos. If you're still hesitating to watch it it's not too late, to whip it, whip it good.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@mezmero: I think there's a difference. A strong, confident protagonist is one I can get behind. I'll even take one's that are cocky, but this one's an asshole who feels he can bully others. I never thought I'd dislike something more than a sniveling protagonist that whines during every episode, but I was wrong. I really would have liked the stable master to let him go by now, and maybe he'd show some growth as a character. The comedy is kind of slapstick and buffoonery, and it hasn't really made me laugh yet.

I've enjoyed the other sports anime this season. I've been watching Haikyuu, Baby Steps, Ace of Diamond, and Ping Pong. Yowamushi Pedal had almost lost me once it got a little too close to magical sports, which I'm not a fan of. I'm pretty much sticking with it at this point because it's almost over.

I meant to marathon Jojo's this weekend, but I ended up playing video games and watching random things.

rubberluffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1649  Edited By rubberluffy
No Caption Provided

Remember, the dick is important.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Soooooooo, probably the most random news today, apparently Psycho Pass is getting a game?...and it's going to be exclusive to Xbox One? Well...ok then. I loved Psycho Pass. I like then Xbox One. So, sure, why not? I just pray to all that is holy that it turns out to be a good game.