Anthony Bourdain: Yay or Nay?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 26

Poll Anthony Bourdain: Yay or Nay? (310 votes)

Yay 69%
Nay 14%
Who? 17%

During one of the more recent podcasts, Quick Looks, panels or whatnot (sorry PAX time is kind of a blur) Jeff said something along the lines of "fuck Anthony Bourdain". This sentiment seemed to be supported by the rest of the crew. Personally I often don't agree with Bourdain's opinions, but I still admire the man and am a fan of his shows. To me he seems like someone who appreciates simple things done well and I like his gonzo-esque approach to reporting or whatever you want to call what he does.

However I've noticed that the man is a very divisive figure. Some love him, others hate him with viscera. I'm just interested in knowing which way the duder community leans on this, and what arguments can be made for or against Bourdain.

• 
TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I think Jeff was just being showy, I don't think he really has strong feelings about Anthony Bourdain.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

It was during the Q&A when they mentioned that Anthony Bourdain was on Team Bone-in. I really like his shows on travel and food, but he does come across as a douchebag.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I didn't hear what Jeff said so I'm completely missing the context, but I love Bourdain. No Reservations was a great show and he's a pretty talented writer as well. He's a scathing, sarcastic, unapologetic asshole, but it's those exact qualities that appeal to my sensibilities.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I've seen Parts Unknown a few times, and he seems okay. I dunno, he's a dude that goes around and eats shit and talks about the food and the place. Never seemed particularly annoying.

But people seem to also really hate Guy Fieri, which I don't get either. Maybe I'm missing some key piece of information, but as far as I've seen he's just a guy with dumb-lookin hair that also eats food on TV.

Maybe I just missed some controversy where they showed themselves to be massive assholes or something, because some people seem to really hate them.

Avatar image for excitable_misunderstood_genius
Excitable_Misunderstood_Genius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I need a more ambivalent answer to be able to vote appropriately.

jslack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#BoneIn is all that matters in life, and Bourdain is right, and he also rocks.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

5 years ago i'd say yay, but today I go nay.

His attitude, while it used to be funny and sarcastically dickish, seems to have become just tired and pointedly rude and...well still dickish. Since his move to CNN, he just seems bored and done, and I haven't enjoyed watching him in some time.

That's ok though, I still got Andrew Zimmern. That guy seems like the coolest dude, and I hope to meet and shake his hand some day. It's always fun and interesting watching him go to weird places and eat the strangest shit, then give an honest assessment on if it was good or god awful.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

While I haven't really paid too much attention to him in awhile, I have liked him in the past and I guess I'm unaware to what has changed about him that would make anyone hate him. Always seemed like a cool, fun guy to me.

TehBuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yay all day. His book was great. No reservations was great. Lots of range of topics in each episode.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

He seems like a cool dude. Jeff's reaction was weird and over the top, which, I mean...of course it was.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He just rubs me the wrong way. He somehow is pretentious and trying to be an "every man" at the same time.

That's ok though, I still got Andrew Zimmern. That guy seems like the coolest dude, and I hope to meet and shake his hand some day. It's always fun and interesting watching him go to weird places and eat the strangest shit, then give an honest assessment on if it was good or god awful.

Fuck yes, do you know he used to be a heroin addict who got by by stealing purses?

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He just rubs me the wrong way. He somehow is pretentious and trying to be an "every man" at the same time.

@takayamasama said:

Fuck yes, do you know he used to be a heroin addict who got by by stealing purses?

He chews with his mouth open. That makes him a monster.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

@yothatlimp: So was Bourdain. Not sure about the purses part, though.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yothatlimp: Yep! One of my favorite episodes of Bizarre foods is when he is in Seattle (also because I'm from near there and it reminds me of home), and he is working with a group of recovering addicts/problem people trying to learn food service skills, and he goes pretty into his past, and how it's not the end for everyone and you can get better, then he works with em to cook some animal heart or some organ I would be scared to try. I like that he is a good idol for anyone who may have a checkered past to try to get better or move on from the slump they might be in.

@oldenglishc: Maybe the food he eats is just go good it's impossible to close ones mouth!

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hes great. Him and Alton Brown are the only food/travel people I enjoy.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I haven't really kept up with him since he left the Travel channel/No Reservations, but I've always really liked him. His show was basically the only thing I watched on TV back in the day, and I still have his books on the shelf.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

By the way, he has a new short series up on YouTube sponsored by Balvenie whiskey. Each episode is about a different craft, with the latest one tackling the making of chef's knives.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

i can pretty much take it or leave it. only thing i have seen with him is his food and travel thingy he does or did. and its was interesting but he seemed like a douchbag sometimes. but thats all i know him for or at least can remember him from. also i had to look him up before i knew who it was.

TheTrekkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like them both, even though I may disagree with Jeff and Anthony on a lot of topics.

DougCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

in a lot of ways, Jeff is the Anthony Bourdain of videogames.

Kazzenn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's a snarky asshole who likes the same movies I do and makes dick jokes, he is pretty cool.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Nay, never cared for him

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

His shows? Yay. Real life dude? I dunno

sonofhotpie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

His books are excellent (Bourdain's, not Jeff's), especially Kitchen Confidential. I've always thought his television persona gave the impression that he was trying too hard to be edgy, to the extent that it becomes distracting. He'll do things like point at a bunch of tuna and say, "You see how fresh that is! That's sex!"

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

His show is great!! He's a snarky asshole up to the point where he expresses sincere appreciation of a place or culture.

He REALLY does not like Iceland though.

pontoon_yacht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like other people have said, I've never quite enjoyed most of his TV presence. Especially early in No Reservations, he came across as unwarrantedly smarmy for being a one-time OK executive chef who happened to hit it big with an interesting book. He was everything annoyingly hipster about counter-foodies personified into a TV host who, for some reason, felt the need to shit on all other food TV hosts. He loosened up over the years, but he still felt like he was trying too hard -- like making references to sex, drugs, etc. He just sounded like that one uncle at the family BBQ who cannot give up the fact he used to be a roadie for REO Speedwagon once.

However. I started watching his new CNN show, Parts Unknown, on Netflix. It's way better than No Reservations. None of the cornball try-hard stuff, but with an actual deep-dive into the cultural landscape of a place. And it helps that the show seems to focus in on forgotten places in the U.S. mindset, which is something personally I enjoy writing about. His episodes on the Mississippi delta and New Mexico were both top-notch.

Parts Unknown feels like a quality interview-based ethnographic documentary instead of a smarmy asshole yelling about how this taco reminds him of drugs and being a cool-dude.

cwniles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To me, there are two types of people (three if you count family) those you would kick back and have a beer and maybe a toke with and those you would not. Bourdain is most assuredly of the former.

darbish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anthony Bourdain is an insufferable prick I'd never want to meet in real life, but I like his shows. So, "D - None of the Above".

Avatar image for deactivated-5a923fc7099e3
deactivated-5a923fc7099e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For a while I was very much into 'no reservations'. He seems like a nice guy albeit a bit snarky.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'm generally up with b'dain. he's attitude can be a bit much at times, and i think he thinks he's more punk than he actually is- but i like his approach and exposure he's given to authentic, low brow street food. he's legit.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in the yay camp, but I've only seen his shows.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like to watch Anthony Bourdain eat food and talk about food, he is funny and insightful even if I don't always agree with him.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34  Edited By Hamst3r

I watch food shows to see places I haven't been and foods I haven't had. He does an okay job of not ruining the show. Thumbs up.

dadjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't watch TV pretty much ever but I caught one of his shows about food in New York at my girlfriend's house and it was surprisingly poignant. He was focussing on the culture around the food more than the food itself and it was fairly well written. Seems like an interesting personality

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#36  Edited By vigorousjammer

#TeamBoneless all the way, so fuck Bourdain!

But, nah, He's actually pretty cool.

ht101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I really like him. I taught World Geography for summer school this year and I used both No Reservations and Bizarre Foods to showcase the culture of the various places we were studying. I feel they both do a great job of showing what the true culture of a country/city is like instead of the weird touristy stuff that is normally shown. Bourdain also called Oklahoma Joe's(now Joe's KC) the best BBQ place in the country so I will always be a fan of his for that.

Spitznock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Spitznock

My knowledge of the man begins and ends at No Reservations, which I thought was an excellent show.

Avatar image for vampiriclunatic
VampiricLunatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By VampiricLunatic

I have never been a fan of his.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#40  Edited By jakob187

I'm on #TeamNoWings. Who the fuck wants small chicken? Not me! Give me a big mufuggin chicken leg!

As for this Anthony Bourdain, I don't know who he/she/it is. I'm going to go look this up now.

*EDIT* Oh. He's a chef.

Fuck him. He's not Gordon Ramsay, so I could give a shit less.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems like a cool enough of guy. His rockstar persona can kind be a little annoying sometimes, but the dude did do a lot of drugs back in the day, so maybe he's earned it.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#42  Edited By Trilogy

I always thought he was full of shit most of the time. I remember an episode of no reservations (Hawaii?) where he eats some foul paste that only locals enjoy. He knows going in that most people hate it so he tries to be the one mainlander who isn't disgusted by it. It just came off phony as hell to me. He also tries too much to be a hardass to the point of absurdity. For all I know he's a nice guy in real life, but I couldn't stand his on air personality.

IamTerics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I infinity prefer Andrew Zimmerman as my ex-drug-addict-turned-chef. He seemed like he really enjoyed his job. But Bourdain is cool too.

Rich666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a professional chef I really liked what Bourdain did. He brought a lot of what actual chefs and cooks do to light. IDK the context for Jeff saying "Fuck Bourdain" but I feel saying that after his death is really out of line. Suicide is never funny or something to applaud.

Bonbonetti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

My vote comes 3 years after the post, but nonethless I've always enjoyed his shows, he went and did things you would never see on any other travel/cooking show. I liked his punk-chef attitude.