Anyone following this Felicia Day twitter drama?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By musubi

So.... Ryan Perez a writer over at Destructoid apparently went on a pretty idiotic rant about Felicia Day on Twitter as seen in this screen cap. What followed is basically such a torrent of hate for the guy including Will Wheaton , Whitta , Veronica Belmont and others piping up that Destructoid sent out a official tweet damning the comments of Perez trying to obviously distance himself from them. I've said Destructioid is a waste of space and I'll say it again... god that site is stupid. And the writers they pick are just prime example of that.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By mandude

I know not who these people are. That said, this Ryan Perez seems a bit silly. Was he provoked in any way, or did it just come right out of nowhere?

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By joshthebear

What a douche.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By musubi

@mandude: Nope, judging by Felicia's twitter feed she never said a word to the guy one way or the other.

Blannir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Blannir

So not knowing who Felicia Day is I looked her up and saw she did some TV work and a few VG voice overs. I know she was in that one Dragon Age II DLC as a character or something but has she done anything else? I'm not quite sure why this guy is attacking her for ruining the video game industry or something.

MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MethodMan008

It's pretty much dead now.. But yeah, that guy is a moron. Credibility = Zero.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By FateOfNever

So.. Destructoid has a writer that makes an ass of himself. For some reason that doesn't surprise me. At all.

I have no idea who Perez is though. I know who Felicia Day is, who Will Wheaton is, Who Whitta is, and no idea who Veronica Belmont is (I'm guessing that she's sadly not the next Dracula killer though...)

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#8  Edited By Hailinel

@mandude said:

I know not who these people are. That said, this Ryan Perez seems a bit silly. Was he provoked in any way, or did it just come right out of nowhere?

Felicia Day is an actress that's become popular in some circles for her work on the web series The Guild and other genre roles. She was also in a live-action production created to promote Dragon Age II and her character appears in a DAII expansion.

The direct attack was needless and crass, that's for sure.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm more surprised that Veronica Belmont cursed.

Edit: Agreed that the guy's a major twat but still it's all people caring to much about stupid shit on the internet. I just spent 20 minutes looking at all this crap on twitter... the internet is fucking retarded.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PeasantAbuse

He's a dweeb.

George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By George_Hukas

@TheVeteran13 said:

Yea, some people should take a break from Twitter

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By musubi

@FateOfNever: Veronica does a number of things such as the Sword and Laser podcast with Tom Merrit she also hosted Game On! a now canceled show on TwiT and other various projects. I think she even may have done some stuff with IGN? Either way she is a fairly popular internet gaming personality alongside Felicia Day who I think she actually works with doing some stuff on Day's YouTube channel.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Marz

eh, dont' care.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mandude

Well, anyone involved in Dragon Age II is a criminal in my book, but being involved in Dragon Age II should have been punishment enough for that. This is uncalled for.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Animasta

wasn't veronica on the oktobercast?

this guy seems like a supreme asshole and therefore perfect for destructoid.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By musubi

@TheVeteran13 said:

You should see some of the skits from Game On girl has a potty mouth! Lol.

shadowdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By shadowdrone

David Jaffe joined in on the conversation. His comments were...moderate, in true Jaffe style. People have started jumping down his throat now. I don't think he mean't anything at all what some people (terrible readers) thought he did.

scalpel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By scalpel

Who cares.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MariachiMacabre

What a needless, piece of shit thing to do. Felicia Day seems like a perfectly nice person who seems to genuinely love video games. What she could ever do to provoke such an attack is beyond me. Also she was in fucking Dr. Horrible! She's alright in my book. Destructoid writers need to stop desperately trying to be edgy because it just makes them into assholes.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By musubi

@shadowdrone: I know exactly what Jaffe is meaning. Basically he is trying to say she isn't a frail little girl that needs protecting and she can fight her own fights without men coming out of the woodwork white knighting for her on twitter. Which he has kind of a point ... to an extent.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Demoskinos: I don't really follow her but she was on the Talkradar podcast a couple of times and she wouldn't curse so they had her say pronounce "fu" and "ck" separately and edited it together and would use it whenever she was on.

dr_mantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By dr_mantas

@Demoskinos: If Jaffe said that, I must admit that every time I hear something from him, I love him more and more. I just can't disagree with his opinions :)

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By musubi

@MariachiMacabre: They really are. Like that one video they made of dude going around getting "chest bumps" from booth babes at E3. Ugh.... god. The only redeeming thing about Destructoid is the rare times Jim Sterling isn't being a smarmy asshole he is actually fairly intelligent and can have a valid point... at times.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By Ace829

@FateOfNever: @Animasta: @MariachiMacabre: What the guy said was pretty stupid and dickheaded, but Dtoid really isn't that bad of a site that you guys have made it out to be. The rest of the writers are generally chill and do not agree whatsoever with what he said. I don't think it's write to drag everyone else down over one person's idiocy. (btw he's only a freelancer, just wanted to point that out)

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By chrissedoff

I think Felicia Day sucks and has said some obnoxious things in the past, but she's easy enough to ignore. It's not nice to publicly open fire on everyone you dislike. Still, it's really not nice to encourage all your followers to swarm and end a guy's career because he criticized your friend.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By toowalrus

I don't really know who Felicia Day is or what she does, and I've never really dug into Destructoid... but being an unprovoked dick isn't exactly making me want to dig deeper. You know, if they're trying to distance themselves from the asshole maybe they're not all bad. I'll just stop typing, I have no idea what's going on.

Hyperglide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hyperglide

More internet Drama. Last week SpoonyOne. This week Felicia Day. lol.. Don't ever change internet.

A'mare Stoudemire just get fined like 50K for a racial slur on Twitter too.

Twitter should just get nuked off the internet. I don't get the point of it. Causes more problems then fixes. People can't control themselves on there. Even Athletes, Entrepreneurs and Celebrities.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@Ace829 said:

@FateOfNever: @Animasta: @MariachiMacabre: What the guy said was pretty stupid and dickheaded, but Dtoid really isn't that bad of a site that you guys have made it out to be. The rest of the writers are generally chill and do not agree whatsoever with what he said. I don't think it's write to drag everyone else down over one person's idiocy. (btw he's only a freelancer, just wanted to point that out)

It's not just this. Jim Sterling is the most obnoxious game journalist I can think of and, as pointed out, the E3 booth babe chest bumping video was fucking moronic. I just really dislike the stuff I see coming from that site. This was simply another example of something I don't like coming from someone associated with Destructoid.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#29  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Why can't people learn to shut their mouths? I mean don't care for Felica Day, not because I don't like her I just don't follow her stuff, but why would say ever think its ok to say that to someone?

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By WMWA

This is a non issue.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By musubi

@Hyperglide: It has nothing to do with twitter and just more people being assholes in general. Twitter is highly useful if you have a group of people that you like to constantly stay in touch with. Most of the people I converse with on twitter are people from gaming circles that I know and its the main way I stay in contact with them.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#32  Edited By Hizang

Veronica getting some one liners in there, nice one.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

@Hyperglide said:

More internet Drama. Last week SpoonyOne. This week Felicia Day. lol.. Don't ever change internet.

Spoony again? What did he do this time?

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By clstirens

@TheVeteran13 said:

@Demoskinos: I don't really follow her but she was on the Talkradar podcast a couple of times and she wouldn't curse so they had her say pronounce "fu" and "ck" separately and edited it together and would use it whenever she was on.

HAHAHAHA! I remember that episode. They had her do that, and at the very end of the podcast, after the end music, you hear the edit "FU_CK"

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ace829

@MariachiMacabre: I understand. I personally like what Jim writes, but I can see how he rubs off wrong on a lot of people though I'd say he writes a lot of great stuff worth reading. If anything though, the rest of the editors are much more likable and they produce some great content. I'd say give a second chance.

Hyperglide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hyperglide

@Demoskinos: There's other ways to do that, that's not in a public forum. I never use it, never had to use it, never will use it and don't understand it's purpose.

And when it causes more harm then good why should it exist? And this goes doubly important for popular or famous figures in the public eye or media. It just causes shit to hit the fan over the stupidest of things. I know this has nothing to do with the Felicia Day and I'm going a little OT

But what about this other guy, the destructoid writer? How do we even know he sent those messages? Maybe his 10 year old dillhole brother thought it would be "funny joke" to steal his iOS phone while he hopped on the shitter? Or 'hack' his computer as this guy maybe forgot to sign out of his Twitter account before walking away from the computer and did the deed? I'm not defending this guy at all btw.

But I mean everyone at one time had a status update on Facebook or a Tweet that says for example, "I am gay and I like dicks" because they didn't log out of their Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, Tumblr w/e account. Even regular folks have lost their jobs over shit like Facebook and Twitter, because of inappropriate tweets or status updates.

I guess from my point of view it's a blight on the internet. I can see why people would like it though as it brings fans closer to their person they are following but at what cost? If I was a Athlete for example and my PR guy told me it would make sense to set up a Twitter account I would have that thing locked down tighter then a everready chastity belt.

knitlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By knitlife

He posted about this time yesterday, and posted three repetitive tweets...he probably was drunk. Not an excuse, but that's probably why.

As a proud, woman gamer in the public eye, I'd say Felicia Day has done a lot for the industry and for gamers in a short period of time, and anyone with half a brain should realize that attacking her flippantly on Twitter is going to end badly.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By LikeaSsur

Why all of these people piped up to begin with is beyond me. It's not their problem, so stay out of it.

What am I saying, this is Twitter....

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Ares42

I sense a big lack of context here. Or as knitlife said, he got drunk and went on the Internet.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By musubi

@Hyperglide: Your twitter account doesn't have to be public. You can make it private so you have to manually approve people seeing your tweets. Its entirely up to you how much you filter out. And I just told you exactly what people use it for. If thats not for you then thats fine and I was on the outskirts looking in scratching my head about social media as well and now I have a twitter and facebook both.

MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MethodMan008

@Hyperglide: We know it was him who typed it because he owned up to it.

Avatar image for manhattan_project
manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@Hyperglide said:

@Demoskinos: There's other ways to do that, that's not in a public forum. I never use it, never had to use it, never will use it and don't understand it's purpose.

And when it causes more harm then good why should it exist? And this goes doubly important for popular or famous figures in the public eye or media. It just causes shit to hit the fan over the stupidest of things. I know this has nothing to do with the Felicia Day and I'm going a little OT

But what about this other guy, the destructoid writer? How do we even know he sent those messages? Maybe his 10 year old dillhole brother thought it would be "funny joke" to steal his iOS phone while he hopped on the shitter? Or 'hack' his computer as this guy maybe forgot to sign out of his Twitter account before walking away from the computer and did the deed? I'm not defending this guy at all btw.

But I mean everyone at one time had a status update on Facebook or a Tweet that says for example, "I am gay and I like dicks" because they didn't log out of their Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, Tumblr w/e account. Even regular folks have lost their jobs over shit like Facebook and Twitter, because of inappropriate tweets or status updates.

I guess from my point of view it's a blight on the internet. I can see why people would like it though as it brings fans closer to their person they are following but at what cost? If I was a Athlete for example and my PR guy told me it would make sense to set up a Twitter account I would have that thing locked down tighter then a everready chastity belt.

Egypt had its revolution broadcast and organized largely on Twitter and Facebook.

After the Japan earthquake/tsunami one of the easist ways poeple could communicate was through Twitter and Facebook.

Now can you please shut up?

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Ace829
MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MethodMan008

Damn, getting fired while living in San Fran, hope that dude had a plan B.

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Robo

Dude has a problem with Ms. Day for some reason and he obviously shouldn't have taken it up on Twitter clear out of the blue like that, but whatever. Read it, write him off as an asshole, Tweet about it yourself if it floats your boat, then move on with your life. It isn't like he wrote up a scathing article on Destructoid...although I wouldn't have been too shocked with that. Anything for hits, right?

To be perfectly frank, along with sentiments I share with Jaffe regarding Ms. Day's ability to fight her own battles without the internet beef squad jumping on the case and white knights trotting in to save her, I'm just not in the mood for feigned righteous indignation and mildly affected offense tonight.

I'll leave that to the experts that have already taken it up on Twitter.

All that said, seriously, what the hell did she do worthy of the hate? Attain personal success? I mean I'm not a huge fan or anything, but from what I've seen/heard of her over the years I really don't know what dude's problem is.

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By wrecks

LOL @ twitter drama

Hyperglide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Hyperglide
Hyperglide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Hyperglide

@MethodMan008: Ah okay cool I didn't know that. At least he owned up to it. Still, it was inexcusable.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By aurahack

All of this kind of makes me dislike people. And Twitter. ... All of the internet, really.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Solh0und

Dudley would describe Ryan Perez best.... 

"Gutter Trash!"