• 77 results
thisguyrich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By thisguyrich

I heard about this whole"no poo movement" a little while ago and decided to give it a try mainly because, as someone who shampoo's pretty much everyday, I have horrible unmanageable hair and an itchy scalp. So its been about a week and while my scalp isn't greasier than before, I have noticed that I'm losing, what is to me, a somewhat abnormal amount of hair. SO basically what I'm wondering is: have any of you tried this?did it work?and what was the transition period like?

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Still_I_Cry

No I haven't. My hair is fine with shampoo.

It gets greasy if I don't use shampoo anyway.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By HandsomeDead

That's so disgusting.

Liber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Liber

ew ... go wash your hair properly , what are you ? a fucking caveman ?

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Afroman269

@HandsomeDead said:

That's so disgusting.
matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By matthias2437

I wash my hair everyday, always will. My hair is prone to getting really greasy if I don't wash it.

thisguyrich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By thisguyrich

lol guess not. oh well. ill try it out for a while and see what happens.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By TheHT

Get your crusty hair out of here!

D:

LetsRockBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LetsRockBaby

Even going one day without shampoo makes my hair feel unclean, so fuck that shit.

Go wash your damn hair right.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Disgusting.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mnzy

He washes it, he just doesn't use shampoo...

Avatar image for xtrememuffinman
Xtrememuffinman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Xtrememuffinman

You could shave your head. But if you have hair, you need to poo it up.

Bald people don't use shampoo...right?

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By ProfessorEss

I tried the no shampoo thing a long time ago (1994 I think?) when I used to do a lot of real messed up stuff to my hair. 

It got real greasy the first couple weeks, but then it transistioned and felt like normal clean hair from then on in.

Nowadays I shampoo, but mainly just because I like the way shampoo smells.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Rhaknar

wait so what DO you use. Or do you mean not washing your hair? cause thats quite disgusting

thisguyrich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By thisguyrich

lol of course i wash it. i also use organic shampoo once a week. ahaha@ProfessorEss: cool was it a good experience overall?

amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By amomjc

Hygiene is fucking evolution for Christs sake. I am getting tired of running around listening to hippies talk about how we need to get "back to our roots" when back to our roots means shorter life-spans, unimaginable stench, and god-knows how many diseases.

I shower 3 times a day, brush my teeth after every meal, take my vitamins every morning, and make sure to use organic deodorant (the rock, not stick) to make sure I smell, look, and feel like a human who gives a crap about the body I was gifted with.

Weird, must've had a lot of pent-up rage running around lol.

Dantekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18  Edited By Dantekiller

wow no poo thats crazy i use poo all the time lol poo

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By ProfessorEss
@thisguyrich said:

...cool was it a good experience overall?

It was very interesting. It's a pretty well known concept that when your hair isn't subjected to all the stuff in shampoos, conditioners and product that your hair will return to it's natural self cleaning state. That's what I was trying, and yeah it worked. 

The only real bad part was the weeks it takes for your hair to go back to creating it's natural levels of oil. Shampoos and things remove oil so hair is typically in a constant state of overdrive trying to replace it, so it got greasy, real greasy - much greasier than anyone in this thread would be able to endure from the sounds of things. 

But yeah, it was almost like one day it was back to normal clean looking and feeling hair. I think I went another four, maybe six months before putting anything in it again and it stayed clean. 
thisguyrich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By thisguyrich

@csoup: to be clear i am not a hippie running around saying we need to get back to our roots (although i think there is some truth to that, albeit very little, and usually not what the hippies mean). Its more like im concerned with a)saving money b)having nicer healthier hair/body c) im also really lazy

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BulletproofMonk
Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Th3_James

I shower after i take a nap and my hair gets slightly messed up. I like showers, and like that fresh feeling afterwards.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Franstone

Only when I go camping...

Even then, sometimes a lake-bath is required.

I suggest you go take a shower, use soap and shampoo.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@Xtrememuffinman said:

You could shave your head. But if you have hair, you need to poo it up.

Bald people don't use shampoo...right?

I shaved my head to the scalp the other night. Now I just wash my scalp with soap. Hair or no hair your pores are still gonna make it greasy.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By 49th

I wash my hair every other day. It's better for your hair because if you wash it too much it can become dry.

shadystx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By shadystx

I see not benefit in not using shampoo, I wash my hair with shampoo every time I have a shower or a bath which is usually every day but sometimes I will miss a day but never 2.

Although I imagine you could just wash your hair with hot water or even soap and it would be fine after all humans had hair thousands of years ago.

krazy_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By krazy_kyle

I only use shampoo every 2 days, too much gives me an itchy scalp and I get bad acne if I use it every day. Conditioner is for pussies!

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By phrosnite

I use only soap( Dove lol) but I"m very careful not to drop it.

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Catarrhal

The phrase "rinse and repeat" is a marketing ploy, I'll say that much…

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Azteck

@HandsomeDead said:

That's so disgusting.
Fizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Fizzy

I didn't use shampoo for...a week maybe. DID.NOT.LIKE.

I shampoo my hair twice every time I shower, not sure if it does anything but it makes me feel better :D

Dayewalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Dayewalker

I have to use shampoo or I start feeling like an unwashed transient.

Also, seeing this thread title reminded me that I forgot to stop and buy shampoo on the way home earlier.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35  Edited By Animasta

ti works for some, but what people don't understand is you still rinse and use conditioner...

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#36  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

I always use it.

SpartanAmbrose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SpartanAmbrose

I always use shampoo. Greasy hair is the worst.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By Getz

To the people who wash their hair with shampoo every day: you are ruining your hair. It gets greasy because you're getting rid of the natural oils in your scalp and you body is desperately trying to produce more. Knock it down to every other day or even every three days and you will notice it gets a lot less greasy day to day.

Going without shampoo is not "gross;" shampoo is a recent invention and people got by just fine before. Cleanliness is important, but modern society is so obsessed with it and really judgmental of people they think of as "unclean." It's some bullshit, is what it is. Why don't you worry about yourselves instead?

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mordukai

"no poo movement"!? Do I really need to point out how misleading this is?

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Mmmslash

For the record, most people don't know how to wash their goddamn hair. The idea is not to wash your hair, but to wash the scalp. This means kneading the scalp, and really working with it.

Shampoo isn't great for the hair, but it's awesome for the scalp. The scalp is where your oils come from. Clean your scalp, ignore the hair, enjoy smooth, healthy, clean hair for the rest of your life.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Silver-Streak

So, to give some insight: Shampoo is for your scalp, conditioner is for your hair.

However, two things happens when you use shampoo. First, while it basically helps your scalp, it causes the small scales on the keratin(your hair) to stand up, which is why a lot of people who use shampoo on longer hair end up with frizzy hair after shampooing. Second, some people's bodies see the the lack of oil on the scalp as a deficiency and start over producing. That is why if some people use regular shampoo on their hair regularly, they can end up with greasy hair if not shampooing for a day, or bad dandruff. After changing to a new semi-regular shampoo cycle, the hair will be far less oily after 2-3 days then it was the following morning on a daily shampoo cycle. The first is actually why conditioner was originally created, as it uses artificial oils to smooth the scales on keratin back down. The last decade or so has seen manufacturers adding minerals and vitamins to conditioner, which may help or may do nothing.

This is on a per person level. The whole "NEVER USE SHAMPOO" thing is a bit extreme, but shampooing every day is not always the best idea. This is not the same as not washing your hair regularly, as that's just bad.

If you find that you're ending up with greasy hair regularly even if you're shampooing, you very well may be overshampooing for your body type. And while there aren't enough studies yet to say conclusively, it is currently believed that yes, this can cause hair loss for some people.

Before anyone dramatically shifts their hygiene routing, always consult your doctor. The hair loss could be genetic, and the greasiness could just be from a diet issue.

Or you could start shampooing every 2-3 days and find that your hair is healthier, it all depends on the person.

I have had shoulder length hair for about 11 years now that I like to keep in good condition, as my fiancee loves it, apparently. I actually had really bad dandruff starting a year ago that was driving me insane, and dandruff shampoos were making it worse, to the point where my scalp started hurting. Spoke with my doctor, and turns out that my body was set so that I really needed to shampoo 1-2 times every week, alternating (once one week, twice the next, once the following, etc).

THIS DOES NOT MEAN YOU STOP WASHING YOUR HAIR. People who use that as an excuse to stop washing your hair may just be lazy. A quick rinse while showering daily in between shampoo cycles will wash away dead scalp and dirt.

Sorry for the wall of text, this is just something that happened to me personally recently that I thought I could shed light on. People who think that shampooing less than at least once a day is disgusting are probably uneducated on the subject, or have no idea what using shampoo daily can do to some people's heads.

Again, DO NOT CHANGE YOUR HYGIENE DRASTICALLY BEFORE CONSULTING WITH A DOCTOR. The human body becomes accustomed to regular chemicals over time, so suddenly removing one from the mix can be dangerous.

Here's an article talking about this:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102062969

Edit: Wow, that was way longer than I expected. Basically, everybody's scalp is a unique snowflake that survives under different conditions. Someone who shampoos every 3 days could have horrid dirty hair and scalp. On the flip side, another person could shampoo every 4 days and have healthier hair/scalp/appearance then someone who does so daily.

Double Edit: Also, now that I've switched to the new cycle, my hair has no dandruff, and is not greasy at all. I also now feel like I may have ostracized myself on Giant Bomb due to revealing my required shampooing habits.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By EVO

I haven't shampooed my hair in weeks. I couldn't imagine doing it every day.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By swoxx

Man I'll tell ya, these boards sometimes...

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Samaritan

It's 2011 y'all, we should be past this as a society.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Swoxx said:

Reading about everyone else's cleaning habits is making me question my own and their sanity. D:

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Tried it for about a week (of course, still washing the hair with water). Hair felt softer, but it was hella greasy so I stopped.

NickBOTT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By NickBOTT

When I read "no poo movement" I was like how the hell do you not--oh shamPOO. On topic, yes I use shampoo and so should you.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#48  Edited By jaqen_hghar

@Eujin: Huh. While I would never stop using shampoo altogether, that was quite interesting. I got pretty long hair myself, and I wash it every other day. Every day if I feel I need it. I always use shampoo, and it always turns frizzy afterwards. Conditioner doesn't help.

I believe I shall try to just wash my hair, and shampoo once a week or something. Thanks for all that info!

And man, such weird things you can read on a video game website. I love this place.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Silver-Streak

@FluxWaveZ: Again, I don't think anyone should ever go without shampoo at all. It sounds like your hair/scalp may hate shampoo a little, based off it having a better feel after a few weeks (your body acclimating to the lack of the chemicals takes time). I wouldn't recommend trying it again before checking with your doctor, but if you do change up your cycle again, considering looking into shampoos that don't contain SFS (Sodium Laurel Sulfate), that'll get rid of the grease and still help your scalp, but be less damaging in general.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By swoxx

@Cloudenvy said:

@Swoxx said:

Reading about everyone else's cleaning habits is making me question my own and their sanity. D:

Right there with you