LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Edited By LiquidPrince

Don't get me wrong, I went into the theater and then exited with a smile on my face, but honestly the movie wasn't so unusually mind blowing that it is getting the box office success that it is getting. I mean what made it great was that the movie is essentially a human story. The Na'vi are just a tool used to tell a conventional love story and it is well done. But it isn't original or anything. Then there is the CG, which environmentally was pretty fantastic, and the Na'vi themselves were cool, but they weren't the best around. Some of animals didn't feel realistic and the human robots didn't feel like they were textured properly. You could tell it was CG. But like I said there was some fairly nice stuff. The 3D was mosty depth, and there were cool shots but never was I blown away.

Now all that may sound negative, but I truly did like the movie a lot. It was my second favorite movie of the year. I just don't know why people are going so crazy over it. As it currently stands, it has a worldwide gross of 1.6 billion dollars. That is ridiculous I think. I just thought it was weird. And if you must know, my favorite movie of the year was Sherlock Holmes, but only because I really like Robert Downey Jr, and he really made the movie for me. That and I really like Sherlock Holmes.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By LiquidPrince

Don't get me wrong, I went into the theater and then exited with a smile on my face, but honestly the movie wasn't so unusually mind blowing that it is getting the box office success that it is getting. I mean what made it great was that the movie is essentially a human story. The Na'vi are just a tool used to tell a conventional love story and it is well done. But it isn't original or anything. Then there is the CG, which environmentally was pretty fantastic, and the Na'vi themselves were cool, but they weren't the best around. Some of animals didn't feel realistic and the human robots didn't feel like they were textured properly. You could tell it was CG. But like I said there was some fairly nice stuff. The 3D was mosty depth, and there were cool shots but never was I blown away.

Now all that may sound negative, but I truly did like the movie a lot. It was my second favorite movie of the year. I just don't know why people are going so crazy over it. As it currently stands, it has a worldwide gross of 1.6 billion dollars. That is ridiculous I think. I just thought it was weird. And if you must know, my favorite movie of the year was Sherlock Holmes, but only because I really like Robert Downey Jr, and he really made the movie for me. That and I really like Sherlock Holmes.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Xeiphyer

I agree, and holmes was great =P Also it was directed by Guy Richie, who is my favourite director.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By HitmanAgent47

It just won the golden globe for best pictures. I'm only saying.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By armaan8014

Yeah Avatar is a bit overrated..

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By iam3green

i never saw it so i don't know. it did have a lot of hype to the movie.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Dany

I really enjoyed the film and think that you should see it. It is a fun and exciting movie

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

"
Then again, White Wilderness won Best Documentary during its time, so take that with a grain of salt.
Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#8  Edited By Little_Socrates

I really enjoyed Avatar, but I wouldn't give it Picture of the Year. 

No, that would go to Inglourious Basterds, followed by Up. But that's only because Gran Torino is being counted as part of last year.

Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Fbomb

What's so overrated? You liked it, and another 100 million liked it as well. 
Sherlock Holmes was fantastic also, but wasn't the 500 million dollar spectacle Avatar was. Like a pop song you think is catchy, but not worth the number one selling album slot, the X-factor, and universally relateable story (Avatar's story translates well to countries around the world, since a lot of the story telling is visual, and a reminiscent theme) is what's selling.  It's not mind blowing to see, but it's also not mind blowing of its success. I can't say it's overrated, simply because most people aren't saying it's the best movie ever, but that it's THE movie to see right now, and a definite theatre experience. This is one show that is useless for people to pirate, and one that makes sense to make the effort to see in the theatre.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Box office success has nothing to do with the quality of the movie. I cite Michael Bay.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@Video_Game_King: I'm not talking about a documentary, i'm talking about best picture which is higher on the hierarchy.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By LiquidPrince
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

"
I don't know, 1.6 billion dollars I think is excessive, and it might possibly surpass titanic.
WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By WickedCestus

I thought it was OK for what it was, but it was Pocahontas, and the army had absolutely no character, they were just dicks. I could fill a page with the problems I have with that movie.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By TwoOneFive

this coming from the guy who thinks tranformers 2 was some kind of masterpiece.  
@supermike6 said:

" I thought it was OK for what it was, but it was Pocahontas, and the army had absolutely no character, they were just dicks. I could fill a page with the problems I have with that movie. "
most mercenaries are dicks. they work for money - end of story.  
and i didnt think of pocahontas once while watching it, despite the obvious relations. but i could say the same about a dozen movies that share a similar plot.  
comparing Avatar to pocahontas, dances with wolves, frngully or whatever else does not make you intelligent and clever. it makes you a douche.
Avatar image for redeyesbluebunny
RedEyesBlueBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By RedEyesBlueBunny

i like chicken

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#16  Edited By Icemael

Avatar had really impressive CG and some great action, but the story was one of the most predictable I've seen in years, the characters were paper-thin and the 3D looked awful. I really don't get all the "masterpiece" comments it has gotten -- it's a decent popcorn flick, nothing more, nothing less. The only thing in it that deserves any sort of award is the CG.

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Lashe

Avatar was a pretty terrible film in terms of scripting, dialogue and acting. That said it looked gorgeous.

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Daryl

Heh.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By WickedCestus
@TwoOneFive said:
" this coming from the guy who thinks tranformers 2 was some kind of masterpiece.  
@supermike6 said:
" I thought it was OK for what it was, but it was Pocahontas, and the army had absolutely no character, they were just dicks. I could fill a page with the problems I have with that movie. "
most mercenaries are dicks. they work for money - end of story.  and i didnt think of pocahontas once while watching it, despite the obvious relations. but i could say the same about a dozen movies that share a similar plot.  comparing Avatar to pocahontas, dances with wolves, frngully or whatever else does not make you intelligent and clever. it makes you a douche. "
Drawing obvious comparisons makes me a douche? You're just being a dick. I wasn't trying to be intelligent or clever, I was just stating my fucking opinion. 
Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Emilio

I think you focused to much on the little things and failed to see the overall picture.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By zeforgotten
@TwoOneFive said:
" this coming from the guy who thinks tranformers 2 was some kind of masterpiece.  
@supermike6 said:
most mercenaries are dicks. they work for money - end of story.  and i didnt think of pocahontas once while watching it, despite the obvious relations. but i could say the same about a dozen movies that share a similar plot.  comparing Avatar to pocahontas, dances with wolves, frngully or whatever else does not make you intelligent and clever. it makes you a douche. "
Wait wait wait, you just called James Cameron a douche :D AWESOME 
He himself has drawn comparisons to those movies when talking about Avatar. 
As he said, he liked the story of them and wanted to make something in the same way.. And he did. 
Fuck him, that fucking douche
Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Cornman89

Holmes was great. Just the right amount of camp. Rachel McAdams was a poor casting choice, though.

K0rN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By K0rN

Avatar rocks! I think your overrated.
Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was certainly the most exciting and thrilling cinematic experience I had since watching 6000 Rohirim storm the fields of Pelennor.
But it didn't deserve best picture, Inglourious Basterds was a significantly better film.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Red12b
@ZeForgotten said:
" @TwoOneFive said:
@supermike6 said:
Wait wait wait, you just called James Cameron a douche :D AWESOME He himself has drawn comparisons to those movies when talking about Avatar. As he said, he liked the story of them and wanted to make something in the same way.. And he did. Fuck him, that fucking douche "
That's Adorable :D 
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#26  Edited By Tireyo

Avatar and Sherlock Holmes! The two movies I really want to see.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By LiquidPrince
@Lashe said:
" Avatar was a pretty terrible film in terms of scripting, dialogue and acting. That said it looked gorgeous. "
Really? Because it was the predictable human story that I liked most about it. The CG was pretty good for the most part, but not mind blowing I think, the tree falling scene excepted.

@Tireyo643 said:
" Avatar and Sherlock Holmes! The two movies I really want to see. "

Holmes was awesome!
Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28  Edited By Mushir
Slightly overrated? Its one of the most overrated movies of all time. Yes the effects were mind blowing. But it didn't have much more going for it.
DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

Its just a movie, if you don't like it who cares? its not a game like your going to play it over and over, you saw it, don't like it? don't watch it ever again. Nerds that nit-pick at movies over dumb shit need to get a life.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#30  Edited By citizenkane

I loved it, though I am surprised that it won Best Picture at the Golden Globes.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#31  Edited By mike
@LiquidPrince: I liked the movie...but the story was average at best. I saw it in 3D and I think they did a fantastic job of not overdoing it...I think the best uses of 3D were the particle effects and explosions and such. Not like Jaws 3D where it was "WHOAH THERE IS A SHARK IN MY FACE!"
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ryanwho

Yeah. See when something wins best picture it should be for things that aren't going to degrade over time. Special effects are the exact wrong reason for a movie to win best picture because they will be superseded in time by better tech. Performances are timeless, good dialogue is timeless, a compelling story is timeless. Did Avatar have all that?
No, but a lot of GG winners don't have that. GGs are kind of a joke.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#33  Edited By spankingaddict

i said it once and ill say it again... Avatar is the best experience i had in any game or movie film and i dont even like movies that much...

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By LiquidPrince
@MB said:
" @LiquidPrince: I liked the movie...but the story was average at best. I saw it in 3D and I think they did a fantastic job of not overdoing it...I think the best uses of 3D were the particle effects and explosions and such. Not like Jaws 3D where it was "WHOAH THERE IS A SHARK IN MY FACE!" "
The 3D was mostly depth, which is what made it enjoyable, but right around the point where the last battle started happening I completely did not notice any special 3D effects or depth. As for the story, true, nothing crazy or original what so ever, however, I liked it because it was like I said, essentially just a human story. The Na'vi were just tools to mask that element and I think that it was well done enough.
dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35  Edited By dbz1995

Must I say this again?

If Avatar was what it was hyped and rated to be, it would be Jesus

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By spankingaddict
@dbz1995 said:
" Must I say this again?  If Avatar was what it was hyped and rated to be, it would be Jesus "
it is Jesus :)
therabidfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By therabidfrog

I thought it was extremely over rated. Honestly I think that if it had been the exact same movie and it was Brett Ratner's Avatar instead of James Cameron's Avatar it would have bombed. I thought it was modestly amusing, but ridden with cliches, incredibly unimaginative, and kind of boring. I didn't even think the effects were mind blowing. The problem with CGI is that it can show you anything so after a while nothing seems incredible.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By dbz1995
@spankingaddict said:
" @dbz1995 said:
" Must I say this again?  If Avatar was what it was hyped and rated to be, it would be Jesus "
it is Jesus :) "
See, now I'm confused.
inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By inkeiren

I think the beauty of the CG transcends mere technical achievement, it's more than just realistic, it's art. The world of Avatar is beautiful not just because it is rendered realistically, but because the world it paints is inherently pretty.

Edit: I would also like to state that the story was somehow elevated by the visuals. The visuals drew you in to such an extent that the story felt better when you watched it.

therabidfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By therabidfrog
@DuhQbnSiLo said:
" Its just a movie, if you don't like it who cares? its not a game like your going to play it over and over, you saw it, don't like it? don't watch it ever again. Nerds that nit-pick at movies over dumb shit need to get a life. "
Yeah! Now if only people who whine about people whining would get a life!
spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By spankingaddict
@dbz1995 said:
" @spankingaddict said:
" @dbz1995 said:
it is Jesus :) "
See, now I'm confused. "
thats because Jesus is messing with your head...
Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Brunchies

It was really overrated and it doesn't deserve the awards and money it got but it did look fantastic.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo
@therabidfrog said:
" @DuhQbnSiLo said:
" Its just a movie, if you don't like it who cares? its not a game like your going to play it over and over, you saw it, don't like it? don't watch it ever again. Nerds that nit-pick at movies over dumb shit need to get a life. "
Yeah! Now if only people who whine about people whining would get a life! "
im not whining, but do we need a new thread every time a new person goes and sees it?
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ryanwho
@therabidfrog said:
" I thought it was extremely over rated. Honestly I think that if it had been the exact same movie and it was Brett Ratner's Avatar instead of James Cameron's Avatar it would have bombed. I thought it was modestly amusing, but ridden with cliches, incredibly unimaginative, and kind of boring. I didn't even think the effects were mind blowing. The problem with CGI is that it can show you anything so after a while nothing seems incredible. "
Real fights, fights you can tell are being done by real people, are alllllways going to be more impressive. I agree. Try and go back and watch Independence Day now. Yikes.
Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Capum15
@ryanwho: I still like Independence Day >.>
donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By donchipotle

Any movie that makes people suicidal is okay in my book.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By habster3

Slightly overatted??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By LiquidPrince
@VelvetLore04 said:
" Any movie that makes people suicidal is okay in my book. "
I must've missed this story is.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By TwoOneFive
@Red12b said:
" @ZeForgotten said:
" @TwoOneFive said:
@supermike6 said:
Wait wait wait, you just called James Cameron a douche :D AWESOME He himself has drawn comparisons to those movies when talking about Avatar. As he said, he liked the story of them and wanted to make something in the same way.. And he did. Fuck him, that fucking douche "
That's Adorable :D  "
lmao you guys knew what i meant.  
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By TwoOneFive
@LiquidPrince said:
" @MB said:
" @LiquidPrince: I liked the movie...but the story was average at best. I saw it in 3D and I think they did a fantastic job of not overdoing it...I think the best uses of 3D were the particle effects and explosions and such. Not like Jaws 3D where it was "WHOAH THERE IS A SHARK IN MY FACE!" "
The 3D was mostly depth, which is what made it enjoyable, but right around the point where the last battle started happening I completely did not notice any special 3D effects or depth. As for the story, true, nothing crazy or original what so ever, however, I liked it because it was like I said, essentially just a human story. The Na'vi were just tools to mask that element and I think that it was well done enough. "
i thinks that because by that point in the film, you just forget about the 3D, you become so used it. walk into a theater right on that scene and you will probably be like woah thats totally 3D. i mean, there was sooooo much going on in different depths of field and missiles looked crazy cool in 3D with their trails of smoke.