Feral_Nova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By Feral_Nova
No Caption Provided

I was told about this a few days ago, read up on and decided to share it. Basically PowersGaming (organizer of LAN parties) are making a Battlefield 3 launch LAN party in Texas. Anyways, to the point, they banned gamer girls (and just girls in general) from the LAN party. Their excuse? They didn't want problems with misogyny, so they banned women from attending the LAN.

Even though I live no where near Texas, this still struck a nerve. Gamer girls have to hear insults after insults from men (and hey, sometimes even other women) while playing online, so its not like it would be anything new for us (gamer girls) if I were to be insulted while attending (not that it makes it right for us to be insulted just saying that we're not fragile little creatures). Not only that, but why ban the WOMEN? Why not ban those who are spewing out the insults? We work hard to develop our skills and get the respect as a gamer that we deserve, so to have this said, is like a slap to my face. Seriously, whats next? LAN parties divided by race to avoid racist remarks?

Anyways, here's a link to the Wiki section about this, and on that, are other links that talk about this. 

and I wanna hear what you fellow gamers think about this. Do you agree with them? Do you think they could have handled the situation differently? Or do you disagree?
Feral_Nova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Feral_Nova
No Caption Provided

I was told about this a few days ago, read up on and decided to share it. Basically PowersGaming (organizer of LAN parties) are making a Battlefield 3 launch LAN party in Texas. Anyways, to the point, they banned gamer girls (and just girls in general) from the LAN party. Their excuse? They didn't want problems with misogyny, so they banned women from attending the LAN.

Even though I live no where near Texas, this still struck a nerve. Gamer girls have to hear insults after insults from men (and hey, sometimes even other women) while playing online, so its not like it would be anything new for us (gamer girls) if I were to be insulted while attending (not that it makes it right for us to be insulted just saying that we're not fragile little creatures). Not only that, but why ban the WOMEN? Why not ban those who are spewing out the insults? We work hard to develop our skills and get the respect as a gamer that we deserve, so to have this said, is like a slap to my face. Seriously, whats next? LAN parties divided by race to avoid racist remarks?

Anyways, here's a link to the Wiki section about this, and on that, are other links that talk about this. 

and I wanna hear what you fellow gamers think about this. Do you agree with them? Do you think they could have handled the situation differently? Or do you disagree?
Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Vexxan

Sounds ridiculous.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Battlefield 3 does not support Local Area Netowrking (LAN) 
 /thread 

Edit: But then again, there was a rumor that there was a huge LAN setup at PAX last night.. could this be? Wow, BF3 LAN, no fucking way. KM Troedsson said in a GamesCom interview that the game doesn't support it.. The plot thickens.

P.S.  @Feral_Nova:  make sure to create your threads under the correct forums (the BF3 forum in this case), I don't have anything to say on this because I'd sound like I condone what those guys did, which i kinda do, and welcome to Giant Bomb!

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By PhatSeeJay
"We actively discourage gamers from being the kind of mysogynistic jackwagons seen in the Reddit post, and such behavior should not be tolerated. Frankly, we don't like that kind of player either. So far as this event goes, it is an special event designed specifically for male gamers. Further, it is meant as a getaway designed to help said male contingent become better men both for themselves and for those who love us."

This response had me laughing pretty hard. Seriously? Better men? What the fuck! XD

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Doctorchimp

They're a bunch of morons who don't even know BF3 won't have LAN support?

Why would you even want to go there? Roll your eyes and pay them no mind.

Feral_Nova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Feral_Nova
@Ahmad_Metallic: :-/ sorry... when I looked through the threads it allowed me to choose from, all it gave me was 'General' 'Off-topic' 'Bug Reports' etc... and thanks for the welcome :)
billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By billyhoush

No offense to norms but this is a retards only party.

Giefcookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Giefcookie

I wouldnt want to go to a LAN with anyone who calls him/herself a "gamer".

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Akeldama

@Feral_Nova: The real reason you weren't invited: Girls are really good at FPS games. Fact.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Feral_Nova said:
@Ahmad_Metallic: :-/ sorry... when I looked through the threads it allowed me to choose from, all it gave me was 'General' 'Off-topic' 'Bug Reports' etc... and thanks for the welcome :)
It says
It says "Want to attach this to a specific page instead?" 

The better way to do this is to go to the game's forum page (by looking up the game of course), check if the thread already exists, then hit "create new thread" on the top right which will automatically attach it to the game's forums. 

@Giefcookie said:

Do you have an alternative? I dislike the term as well, but there's no better word to use. Movie goers, readers, music lovers and gamers.. 
Feral_Nova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Feral_Nova
@Ahmad_Metallic: Doh! >.< Well that was a massive fail on my part, thank you though, I'll be sure to do that next time :)
Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Three0neFive
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
@Giefcookie said:

Do you have an alternative? I dislike the term as well, but there's no better word to use. Movie goers, readers, music lovers and gamers.. 
There's nothing wrong with the term itself, it's the tools who define their lives by the fact that they are "hxc gamerz 4 lyfe" that rustle my jimmies.
Giefcookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Giefcookie

@Three0neFive said:

@Ahmad_Metallic said:
@Giefcookie said:

There's nothing wrong with the term itself, it's the tools who define their lives by the fact that they are "hxc gamerz 4 lyfe" that rustle my jimmies.

I just find it weird to have to define yourself with a single word, whatever you do in your spare time. In terms of a better word to use, how about "people".

apoptosis61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By apoptosis61

sexism applies only for men , not for women ... as always 

they want men players so why you care?  

organize a women only lan party and no one will say anything  

just dont give a shit about this event and continue your life :P

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Giefcookie said:

@Three0neFive said:

@Ahmad_Metallic said:
@Giefcookie said:

I just find it weird to have to define yourself with a single word, whatever you do in your spare time. In terms of a better word to use, how about "people".

Fill this in for me please: 
(Blog title) "My evolution as a music lover" / "My evolution as a movie goer" / "My evolution as a... _________" ??  
Video game person? come on. Gamer fits perfectly and there's no alternative!
ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ThePaleKing

Ok, well, that's their choice isn't it? There are plenty of women only clans and such. 

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jimbo

No Irish, blacks or dogs either? Classy.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jack268
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
@Giefcookie said:

@Three0neFive said:

@Ahmad_Metallic said:
@Giefcookie said:

Fill this in for me please: (Blog title) "My evolution as a music lover" / "My evolution as a movie goer" / "My evolution as a... _________" ??  Video game person? come on. Gamer fits perfectly and there's no alternative!
My evolution as a PLAYA
oatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By oatz

Why do you care if a bunch of virgins want to play with guys only? Aren't there clans, guilds, and tournaments and those dumb fucking GAMR GURL things that IGN does every week, that are women only, as in no men allowed?

Stop caring, stop whining. Get on with your life.

Raineko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Raineko

Not a lot of girls do game but those who do are usually pretty good so I dunno why these guys are doing this. 
Best is probably to ignore those douches.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Jadeskye

@Feral_Nova: Absolutely rediculous. They're worried about problems with misogyny so they banned women from attending. I can't be the only one who sees the underlying problem with that.

The more I fight for equality in life the more I see this kind of ignorant bullshit.

And to the nay sayers; the fact that few women would attend in the first place just due to the very male orientated society that such gatherings bring is totally immaterial in this context.

Maybe next we'll see segregated gaming tournaments.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ghostiet

They act misogynistic to prevent misogyny.

That is pretty fucking funny.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They must still think girls are icky maybe its a broke back lan party.

left4doof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By left4doof
@Ahmad_Metallic said:

@Giefcookie said:

I thought  they're called bookers.
Giefcookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Giefcookie

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

@Giefcookie said:

@Three0neFive said:

@Ahmad_Metallic said:
@Giefcookie said:

Fill this in for me please: (Blog title) "My evolution as a music lover" / "My evolution as a movie goer" / "My evolution as a... _________" ?? Video game person? come on. Gamer fits perfectly and there's no alternative!

If you are inclined to use the language like that then yes, sure you can go with it. I just cant see myself actually writing down a blog title like that :) I watch a lot of TV, anime, listen to a lot of music, play games and read books. But I dont consider myself music lover or a reader. I dont think theres a word in the english language that would cover the facets of modern media consumption. Even foreign words like Otaku from japanese dont really fit. This is why I find it strange to try and categorize yourself so narrowly.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@oatz said:

Aren't there clans, guilds, and tournaments and those dumb fucking GAMR GURL things that IGN does every week, that are women only, as in no men allowed? 

Where can i apply? 

@Giefcookie said: 

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

@Giefcookie said:

@Three0neFive said:

@Ahmad_Metallic said:
@Giefcookie said:

Fill this in for me please: (Blog title) "My evolution as a music lover" / "My evolution as a movie goer" / "My evolution as a... _________" ?? Video game person? come on. Gamer fits perfectly and there's no alternative!

If you are inclined to use the language like that then yes, sure you can go with it. I just cant see myself actually writing down a blog title like that :) I watch a lot of TV, anime, listen to a lot of music, play games and read books. But I dont consider myself music lover or a reader. I dont think theres a word in the english language that would cover the facets of modern media consumption. Even foreign words like Otaku from japanese dont really fit. This is why I find it strange to try and categorize yourself so narrowly.

Ok but why do you have beef with such labels in the first place? You are who you are, that's true, but you are also what you do, and I only find it life-facilitating when you have a quick socially accepted term to define yourself based on what you do, whenever a conversation requires such a definition
FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#28  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I bet no one would complain if there was a woman's only LAN party.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By penguindust

Not that I am trying to defend them, but perhaps there were incidents/assaults against female participants in the past and they want to avoid that.  It only takes one violation at an event to cause the promoter to rethink their policies.  Lawsuits are abundant in America.  If the organizers feared they couldn't get enough security then they might decide to take the safest route and just remove the feminine temptation.  I'm not saying that male gamers are inherently rapists, but it only take one sexual criminal who uses gaming as a means to find his victims to warrant stricter oversight for everyone.  I don't believe that any gamer wants to go to a tournament only to return home the victim of a vicious crime.

Of course, if this is just about name-calling, then it's a bad decision on their part.  Words have power, there is no denying that, however if you play these types of games regularly, you should be familiar with the language the community (rightly or wrongly) uses already.

Giefcookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Giefcookie

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

@Giefcookiesaid:

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

@Giefcookie said:

@Three0neFive said:

@Ahmad_Metallic said:
@Giefcookie said:

Ok but why do you have beef with such labels in the first place? You are who you are, that's true, but you are also what you do, and I only find it life-facilitating when you have a quick socially accepted term to define yourself based on what you do, whenever a conversation requires such a definition

If you define yourself with such a narrow and simple term it opens up the way for other people to label you and others in that way. And that leads to you being grouped together with some kid in korea who jumps off a building because he couldnt catch a mewtwo in pokemon. Bad example, I know.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#31  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Ultimately they have the right to do it, as other people here have said it's a double-standard that girls-only clans are fine, but boys-only events are seen as sexist. My real problem with this is that they were banning girls on the grounds that it was fighting against sexism and that's just dumb, they're trying to solve the problem of discrimination to women through discrimination to women. It reminds me of when Microsoft were still trying to combat homophobia on Xbox LIVE by prohibiting people mentioning their sexual orientation. If they really had an interest in helping the "male contingent become better men both for themselves and for those who love [them]" they wouldn't isolate them from women and would actually deal with problems by punishing those who were causing trouble.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By laserbolts

My thought are that none of these guys are getting laid anytime soon.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Wasn't this ages old, and wasn't it because women were being terribly mistreated by the assholes there?

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By mikemcn

I'm sure all 4 of the girls who were planning on attending, will be sorely disappointed.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By benjaebe
@Gamer_152 said:
If they really had an interest in helping the "male contingent become better men both for themselves and for those who love [them]" they wouldn't isolate them from women and would actually deal with problems by punishing those who were causing trouble.
This, sounds like they got lazy and didn't feel like actually holding people accountable so they just banned women from going entirely. Honestly though, if that's the kind of LAN organizer they are you probably don't want to be going anyway.
scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By scarace360

Man why cant we have lan parties :(

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jams

@Feral_Nova: Something must be wrong with these people. Who really wants to be in a giant sausage fest? I'd rather be the only guy in a room full a woman than a giant circle jerk.

GoodKn1ght

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By GoodKn1ght

@Giefcookie said:

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

If you define yourself with such a narrow and simple term it opens up the way for other people to label you and others in that way. And that leads to you being grouped together with some kid in korea who jumps off a building because he couldnt catch a mewtwo in pokemon. Bad example, I know.

Cut the quote block to long. The problem is not in the term it's people that group other people because they have the same label. You were just guilty, "I don't want to go to a party with people who call themselves gamers" probably because you already have a set idea of what the label gamer is and the types of people that label themselves that when I'm sure there will probably be a diverse group of males with different jobs, education and ethnic backgrounds. It is your fault for assuming that the label gamer means something and you can categorize all the people that use it as the same type of person. I would not say I don't want to be labeled as korean because a korean kid jumped off a building for a stupid reason. I do understand where you are going with making a narrow term for yourself but the fault lies in the interpreter of the label, not the label itself. Labels are good sometimes. If someone asks my vocation I'm not going to go into detail, I would say I'm a student and that's it. (unless it's a hot lady then I will say I'm a doctor and then go into detail on how I saved a 12 year olds life today when he passed out on the street but that does not detract my point) However bringing this post on topic, the fact that they won't allow girls is very sexist however only as sexist as clans that only allow girls in. Two wrongs don't make a right though, however three rights do make a left.

Also kidding about the doctor part. And not sure if I used detract right, english is not my first language.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Meowshi

Girls ban BF3 lan party in Texas from their vaginas.  

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By zeforgotten

It says "He-man" .. of course they would ban women! Have you watched any He-man stuff?

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By tebbit

@Meowshi said:

Girls ban BF3 lan party in Texas from their vaginas.

If I were a woman, I can't say I'd want an entire LAN party in my vagina.

#misinterpretation-at-its-finest

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#42  Edited By Bollard

Not the first LAN Party to do this. Others have done this for the same reason.

Vanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Vanek

That is so damn pathetic.  Who the hell would want to go to that LAN party? 

I just can't believe how badly a problem can be handled.  They should be banning the trouble makers rather than females in general.

Avatar image for makoto_mizuhara_sakamoto
Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To the people who thought the girl ban would work... 

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By BoG
@Akeldama said:

@Feral_Nova: The real reason you weren't invited: Girls are really good at FPS games. Fact.

True. I used to go to a LAN place nearby and play CS. There were two girls my age who tore us all apart. It was embarassing at first, but I have embraced female gaming superiority since then.
McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#46  Edited By McGhee

Wouldn't the logical solution be to have a few security guards keeping an eye on things? What a bunch of lazy dumb shits.

Watch this for a lesson in love and comedy. :)

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By DonPixel

@Vegsen said:

Sounds ridiculous.

Sounds hommo to be honest.. A he-man club that hate girls? fishy...

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#48  Edited By Catolf
@Tarsier said:
@Feral_Nova said:
No Caption Provided

(snip)
why do you care so much ,stop causing drama. youre the reason they banned girls.
Get over yourself. She brought it to our attention because of the subject matter, while in the wrong forum for it it's still about the game and a lan party that excluded gamers because of gender. They should have discussed why or what issue they had to do so, which the way they make it sound girls were included before and now suddenly not. Thus the issue.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By GreggD

Wasn't there a thread about this exact same thing like a month ago?

oliveshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By oliveshark

@oatz: I do believe that it's better to speak up about something like this than flat out ignoring it. Sure this doesn't effect you, but someone in your community. If you speak up for someone they are sure to speak up for you.

If you don't agree with Feral_Nova then that's your opinion, but if you just can't be arsed then I don't see why you even bothered posting.

It's called being a part of a community.