Community college or straight to four year university? (POLL)

• 64 results
awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By awe_stuck

There is one problem. If your getting loans you might not be able to get a loan for university if you owe for college. Might wanna ask about that

CRAzYKiLL3R93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52  Edited By CRAzYKiLL3R93

@awe_stuck said:

There is one problem. If your getting loans you might not be able to get a loan for university if you owe for college. Might wanna ask about that

My parents agreed to pay for community college and some of my university (if I get above a 3.5 gpa in CC) if I pay for a majority of the university costs, so I'm good for loans for the next two years. Thanks for the advice though.

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By nohthink

@CRAzYKiLL3R93: You really shouldn't be asking this kind of questions on the internet

nickb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By nickb64

I think that Community College is a good option, it's what I'm doing. I could have gone straight to Cal State, but money's been tight recently, so I'm doing the transfer thing.

The other main reason I chose to go to a Community College is because I'm not totally sure what I want to do as a career.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By soldierg654342

If you have the money and are absolutely certain in your career aspirations, then go to a four-year University. Anything less and you should head to a community college first.

I went to a university my freshman year of college and realize that I didn't actually know what I wanted to do and was hemorrhaging money. Luckily, the community college close to my house was recently changed to a state college, but still has it's community college prices, so I could transfer and get the best of both worlds.

sofakingcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By sofakingcool

Depends on your financial status. If you get a scholarship to a four-year go for it. If your a good student but you want to save some money take your 100-200 level courses at a community college. There is no real difference in low level standard (math/writing etc.) courses. Also if you want to be a Greek.... actually go fuck yourself in that case. P.S. if you are a crappy student like many CC students are just skip it and get a job. Don't waste your time and our money languishing in academics. Everyone doesn't have to go to college.

CRAzYKiLL3R93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By CRAzYKiLL3R93

@nohthink said:

@CRAzYKiLL3R93: You really shouldn't be asking this kind of questions on the internet

I'm not asking for advice, I've already made my decision and I'm attending community college. I was just asking what the general opinion of transferring was

CRAzYKiLL3R93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By CRAzYKiLL3R93

@sofakingcool said:

if you are a crappy student like many CC students are just skip it and get a job. Don't waste your time and our money languishing in academics. Everyone doesn't have to go to college.

I agree, I dont understand why it's always been taught to everyone that they have to go to college or they'll be unsuccessful. A good percentage of people drop out of college every year (I dont have the link to back this up, but I remember reading an article that said 30% of college students drop out their first year) and it just seems a waste of their time and money and the state's time and money.

awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By awe_stuck

@CRAzYKiLL3R93 said:

@sofakingcool said:

if you are a crappy student like many CC students are just skip it and get a job. Don't waste your time and our money languishing in academics. Everyone doesn't have to go to college.

I agree, I dont understand why it's always been taught to everyone that they have to go to college or they'll be unsuccessful. A good percentage of people drop out of college every year (I dont have the link to back this up, but I remember reading an article that said 30% of college students drop out their first year) and it just seems a waste of their time and money and the state's time and money.

Education is never a waste of money unless your education is specialized (cop, nurse) and you flunk. Anyway, they make huge profits off student loans. If you go to school you make double you would normally. University jobs pay more then twice as much as college, and college twice as much as high school. Thing is college takes twice as long as university to learn what you need to. I'm talking about intensive college courses. If you wanna take a general 3 year it wont be worth as much. Do yourself a favour and ask how many credits you get when you transfer. Its good to ask if you already decided, however you should realize student food plans are terrible and expensive. You wanna pay $150 a month for taters tots? You could go to mcdonalds almost every day for that and have money left over. College will guarantee you that shitty $10 an hour job, not necessarily the $25 one. Dont worry colleges will tell you even with 20% unemployment you can get a job. Seriously, get a program thats accredited, or licensed (more likely to get a job). Something that is intensive, as university is a lot harder then college. Up to you. Just an idea. Also, living with your parents is lame, but saves you money

ds8k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#60  Edited By ds8k

As someone that went straight to 4 year then dropped out and went to Community College, I highly recommend going to community college first. The quality of teachers and the environment is much more conducive to learning. Right now I'm at UCF and absolutely hating it.

Good luck.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#61  Edited By breadfan

Community College.

There's this weird stigma about community colleges. The only real difference between them and a four year school is the living on campus aspect, which for some is one of the benefits of going to college. If you don't mind living at home for an extra year or two I'd say go with community college. You take the exact same classes as students at four year schools, but for a significant cheaper cost (professors I've had who teach at both types of schools have said they do not alter their class structure in any way). Depending on your preference for learning you may like it better as well, the classes are a lot smaller and offer a more personal learning style. I don't know about other states, but here in Massachusetts there are some great transfer programs for community college students as well (automatic acceptance, tuition breaks, etc.).

Plus, you can always just go visit your friends who go to four year schools on the weekends. Pop in once and a while for some fun and let them pay the ridiculous tuition costs.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Example1013

This question is fucking retarded. If you can afford to go to a four-year university, you do it. And you live on campus, and you experience true college life. Anything else is missing out.

Fizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Fizzy

@Br3adfan said:

Community College.

There's this weird stigma about community colleges. The only real difference between them and a four year school is the living on campus aspect, which for some is one of the benefits of going to college. If you don't mind living at home for an extra year or two I'd say go with community college. You take the exact same classes as students at four year schools, but for a significant cheaper cost (professors I've had who teach at both types of schools have said they do not alter their class structure in any way). Depending on your preference for learning you may like it better as well, the classes are a lot smaller and offer a more personal learning style. I don't know about other states, but here in Massachusetts there are some great transfer programs for community college students as well (automatic acceptance, tuition breaks, etc.).

Plus, you can always just go visit your friends who go to four year schools on the weekends. Pop in once and a while for some fun and let them pay the ridiculous tuition costs.

Exactly, I don't understand why people say "You're missing out on the college experience", "You're not going to a real college" etc...Some of the professors at the Community college I started at used to teach at the University I'm going to now. There's no difference in education, one costs less and has smaller class sizes, the other costs more and allows you to live there.

I think some people have seen too many movies about College. If you're actually going to get an education there's not a ton of time for partying and stuff...between the research papers, exams, quizzes, and recitations I've hardly got time to play my video games. And they miss me :{

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By HandsomeDead

The university experience is one of the most overrated things you'll do. If drinking for four years with lightweights, attention seekers, knobheads, mummy's boys trying to be all bro, cocky fat girls, British people, Marxists, try hards and other forms of scum are the greatest days of your life, then I'm sorry, I've got some bad news for you. University is fun but living on your own, having a cool bunch of friends and going to parties isn't exclusive to that period of your life unless you do commit to that in uni then and up as some wage slave prole.