Do English People like the American Accent?

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Wolverine

Okay, it is 5 A.M. on the east coast where I live so it has to be 10 A.M. in England so I'm guessing many English users are on now. Many Americans really like the English accent. I personally think it sounds very classy and adds much beauty to the English language. I have a standard American accent similar to the accent you would hear on most American television programs. How do English people feel about that accent?

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Tylea002

I have no feelings towards it, its an accent. However, I can't understand a fucking word that most people from Texas say, also there is an H on herbs. (Anyone who gets the reference gets a cookie).

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Optiow

Well I think that some kinds of it can sound awesome, but I don't like the Southern American accent as they tend to draw out their words for as long as possible.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Red12b
@Tylea002:
eddie izzard
Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Tylea002
@Red12b said:
" @Tylea002: eddie izzard "
Hells yes, my friend. You can have the virtual cookie.
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Red12b
@Tylea002:
Ohhh but I think the real question is.
Cake Or Death?

In which case i'll have the chicken then sir. to whitch you would say?
Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Tylea002
@Red12b said:
" @Tylea002: Ohhh but I think the real question is.Cake Or Death?In which case i'll have the chicken then sir. to whitch you would say? "
Cake or Death?
Cake.
We're out of cakes, we only had three, we didn't realise there would be a run on them.
In which case, I'll have the chicken then sir.
There you go, Tastes of Human.
Expletive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Expletive
@Optiow said:
" Well I think that some kinds of it can sound awesome, but I don't like the Southern American accent as they tend to draw out their words for as long as possible. "
I am from austin TX and I dont think I have a texas accent, neither of my parents are from here. I think my accent is just pretty standard american.
oh yeah, I also like english accents much more than american 
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Red12b

taste of human ideed, Er sorry this will be the last post as it has gotten off-topic apoligies

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Steve_C

It varies for me, just like anything. I enjoy some of the accents, indifferent about others, some irritate me a bit, and some I can't understand well.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By flaminghobo

It seems fine, there are a couple of voices from America which I think have a great tone to them.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I am indifferent towards the accent. What does annoy me though, is the stupid spellings you use for some words!!!! It's colour & flavour, not color and flavor. And I hate that you say football when referring to a game that it not football!!!!!! And that you call football Soccer, a word that is a slang term for the word Association. "I'm going to watch a match of association". IT MAKES NO SENSE!!!!!!!!

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By Ineedaname

I don't mind the accent, but I do care for spelling, I.e. Favourite, note the U, Mum, once again note the U, Realise, note the S, you get my drift.
And why is football, football, you don't even kick it. At least what we call football, we kick.

adam_grif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By adam_grif

I have an Australian (Queensland / Tasmanian hybrid, not that most could tell) accent. None of that Steve Irwin stuff, a nice suburban one.

When I use the mic with people from other countries they love it.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@Ineedaname said:
"Mum, once again note the U, "
Mum/Mom/Mam are used interchangeably in different regions of the UK. Mum is probably the most common, but mom is pretty common in the West Midlands & North West. It isn't an Americanization, it originated over here. Similarly in some regions of the US, they use Mum.
dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By dethfish

We don't put U's in certain words because us americans are more efficent. We also call it Soccer just so we can piss you off. I find it hilarious.

Bolt3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bolt3

I think it's awesome, and I'm British.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Wolverine
@MattyFTM said:
" I am indifferent towards the accent. What does annoy me though, is the stupid spellings you use for some words!!!! It's colour & flavour, not color and flavor. And I hate that you say football when referring to a game that it not football!!!!!! And that you call football Soccer, a word that is a slang term for the word Association. "I'm going to watch a match of association". IT MAKES NO SENSE!!!!!!!! "
I agree with you when it comes it us calling football "soccer". As an American I think we should start calling American football "soccer" and start calling football "football" so the rest of the world starts to respect our soccer..... I mean football team.
EnchantedEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#19  Edited By EnchantedEcho
@Ineedaname said:
At least what we call football, we kick. "
With your feet = football.

I'm Australian but both of my parents immigrated from England, the Southern American accent is horrible in some cases.
I think that Americans abuse the vowels too much, you either just ignore them or you exaggerate them.
But, with Brad, Jeff, Ryan and Vinny, I don't notice there accent to be irritating at all.
The U.S is so big though, so you have to expect some diversity.
Even England has sub-accents, not all English people sound classy for sure.

SlowHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By SlowHands

Sometimes American accents can grate on me.  Different pronunciations and spellings can grind on me too.  But I'm just a fuss pot.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Absurd
@Ineedaname said:
" I don't mind the accent, but I do care for spelling, I.e. Favourite, note the U, Mum, once again note the U, Realise, note the S, you get my drift.And why is football, football, you don't even kick it. At least what we call football, we kick. "
Didn't England invent the word "Soccer"?
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MrKlorox

Bleh. I believe the term is "British"... This includes Australians and other people whose country of origin still has The Queen on their money. ELDERLY BIGOTS OR GTFO!

NoDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NoDeath

I'm Australian and I get people saying I have an American accent all the time. I was yelled at once for sounding like a "Fucking yank"

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@Absurd said:
" @Ineedaname said:
" I don't mind the accent, but I do care for spelling, I.e. Favourite, note the U, Mum, once again note the U, Realise, note the S, you get my drift.And why is football, football, you don't even kick it. At least what we call football, we kick. "
Didn't England invent the word "Soccer"? "
Yeah. It was a slang term for Association. So rather than calling it Association Football (it's official name), we started to call it Soccer Football. Soccer on it's own doesn't make any sense though.
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By c1337us
@adam_grif: It wasnt until I moved to Perth that even realised that there were mutliple Australian accents. I still cant pick it but even after living in WA for 16 years people can still tell that I am from NSW all the time.
Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Death_Unicorn
@MattyFTM:
My favorite color is a flavor of blue...
Now I will go outside and play football...
Not soccer, football...
:D
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MrKlorox
Hi. Which Southern Americn accent are y'all (er... you all -- fucking extra syllable) complaining about? The Georgian/Tennessean (northeastern) accent? Or the Texan/New Mexican (southwestern) accent?

@Death_Unicorn said:
" @MattyFTM: My favorite color is a flavor of blue... Now I will go outside and play football... Not soccer, football... :D "
At 5 in the morning?! =P
dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#28  Edited By dethfish

For the record, I was kidding around in my last post. Hopefully no one gets offended.

I think this whole thing is interesting though. I hadn't wondered what my accent sounded like to english people. I never would have thought my voice sounded weird.

I never was a big fan of soccer but I recently saw a couple games (matches?) and they were really exciting and suspenseful. Still not my favorite sport but I like it a lot more now.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MrKlorox

One thing I find annoying is that words beginning with H are generally preceded by "an" (like a vowel) instead of "a" (like a consonant). I think this is because 'English' floks pronounce the 'H' in words beginning with it like an apostrophe... leading directly into the vowel. For example it's "an historic moment" instead of "a historic moment". Same with words ending with the letter "T".

And they say we southern Americans over-enunciate our vowels. British folk overlook consonants in order to give the vowels a bump. Nothing explicitly wrong with that... just sayin'.

EDIT: On a roll... let's see how many more threads I can kill.

euge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By euge

The accent on 'the hills' tv program is terrible, I'm assuming it's beverly hills? Some Americans have an accent thats comparable to the Essex accent in that they use the word like a lot (A word that fits the accent). Two things about that accent, it's irritating and it makes people sound stupid whether they are or not.

Americans say the word ass better than us English.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jeffgoldblum
@Tylea002 said:
" I have no feelings towards it, its an accent. However, I can't understand a fucking word that most people from Texas say, also there is an H on herbs. (Anyone who gets the reference gets a cookie). "
Im from Texas but I abhor the "texan" accent. It is simply embarrassing.
darkspirit138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By darkspirit138

When there are so many absolutely AWESOME accents hanging around, I cant care much for the American one. Oh yeah, DONUT.

euge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By euge

What, doughnut? We use both spellings in England. Except donuts tend to be the little ones that don't contain jam and are shaped like polo mints

Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Commando

Texans aren't southern. Ask anyone from any real southern state. They think they're southern just because they're located in the south. Just because your state is located in the South doesn't mean you're a southern state. (you know what I mean, don't act stupid).

Example: Florida(a place filled with old people and illegal Cubans), Texas(a place filled with illegal Mexicans).
All of the real southern states HATE Texans who pretend to be southern. They're Texans: they wear cowboy hats and sound completely different than any other part of the country. Their accent is completely different than the Deep South accent that we have.
States I consider "The South": Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Arkansas, parts of Louisiana, parts of Georgia, very little of South Carolina.
I have an Alabama deep south accent, but as you can see, I am not uneducated. When I speak, I speak with proper grammar, but my accent is deeply southern. When I type, most people can't tell. I always want to throw the word "yall" in, but I usually catch it and change it when I type. When I speak, I can't do this. When I went to California last summer, people always stared at me when I talked.

Now that that's out of the way, you'll find mixed opinions on how Americans feel about the English accent. I personally think English women sound hot. I've never met an English guy. I've met a Scottish guy, but he told me English people would 'verbally assault' me if I thought the Scottish accent was the same as the English accent.

Supposedly, English people view the Scottish accent like yankees view the Southern accent here. It's viewed as "trashy". Is this correct?

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By get2sammyb
@Euge: But we say the word "arse" so much better.
euge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By euge
@Commando said:
Supposedly, English people view the Scottish accent like yankees view the Southern accent here. It's viewed as "trashy". Is this correct?

Actually, because the Scottish hate us and would prefer England was moved to the other side of the world. I don't hate the scots, or their accent but it certainly can't be compared to ours in any county of England. The Essex accent is trashy and so is some parts of London.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By The_A_Drain

Most people I know hate it, although in some situations I find a brooklyn accent pretty awesome (if a little threatening just on its own)

But for the most part no, I don't think it's held in particularly high regard. But then there are so many, just like in the UK we have all sorts of accents in england alone, not the stereotypical posh one you guys seem to love so much (just like you have tons of different accents in New York alone, let alone all the states)

Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ChickenPants

I like it quite a bit and I'm Irish.The southern ones can be a bit grating sometimes.

Can't stand the Austrailian accent though.

Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Commando
@The_A_Drain: What the OP is referring to, is the typical American businessman accent, that covers the biggest percentage of Americans. The accent that most of Hollywood portrays as the typical American accent. That is the most widely spoken.

Edit: Found this funny video of English girls attempting the American accent. They actually got the R's down pretty well, which I heard is the hardest part. I say we all should post sound clips of us attempting the accent of the other country.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#40  Edited By get2sammyb
@Commando: Good grief. I'd still stroke the one on the right mind.

The US accent can grate if you ask me. I hate when John McEnroe is commentating the tennis. It's fine at first but after a while... Gah it grates. Having said that, when you're watching a movie with mostly American people in it, it sounds SO weird when there's a British character. It makes me cringe a bit.

It all depends on context.
alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#41  Edited By alexl86

I'm not from either country, but my take on accents is that it's more about the person speaking it than it is the accent itself. The voice, the pitch, the volume, etc. I also think confidence have a lot to do with it. Some people just convey appealing characteristics through their voice that's not really tied to an accent.

Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Oriental_Jams

The only thing that bugs me is the mispronunciation of 'herb' (saying 'erb' instead), otherwise it's fine, especially Brad's.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Wolverine
@Dethfish77 said:
" For the record, I was kidding around in my last post. Hopefully no one gets offended.I think this whole thing is interesting though. I hadn't wondered what my accent sounded like to english people. I never would have thought my voice sounded weird. I never was a big fan of soccer but I recently saw a couple games (matches?) and they were really exciting and suspenseful. Still not my favorite sport but I like it a lot more now. "
I lol'd when I read your last post. It was hilarious. xD
Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Wolverine
@Commando: Well Texas was it's own independent country called The Republic of Texas before it became part of the United States.
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By crunchUK

What annoys me about it is when a stupid person on xbox live tells me that "american" is a language and that it's seperate from english just that they sound similar. OR another that told me to "stop ruining the english language you british faggot"

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#46  Edited By RHCPfan24

I am not a big fan of my own country's accent, especially when compared to the English one. You guys have a great accent and I want to move out there to just get a bit of that vibe. Still, the American accent is just...boring in comparison.

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#47  Edited By JonathanMoore

I live in England and have an American accent, heres the low down: Half of the people will think you have a great accent, the rest will criticize it at all costs.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Wolverine
@JonathanMoore said:
" I live in England and have an American accent, heres the low down: Half of the people will think you have a great accent, the rest will criticize it at all costs. "
How do you have an American accent? Are you American?
Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Commando

Well, I just recorded myself trying to mimic the english accent. I didn't have anything better to do. I sound like a retard trying to enunciate every single syllable.

I had to think about every single syllable of every word, that's why I read it so slow. It's weird when you have to think about it.
Don't make fun of it, I know it's bad, but maybe some English kid will get a few laughs out of it.
Sorry it's quiet, it's with the built in microphone in my Mac so it's not the best microphone.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#50  Edited By Steve_C
@Commando:

Well that certainly was amusing. No British at all, but nice try anyway. It reminded me of Forrest Gump a bit, with slight touches of Australian here and there.