Do English People like the American Accent?

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By ninjakiller

British English isn't even the real english accent, British accent changed because they didn't want to be like the "scummy" colonists. The accent of people in the Appalachians is the closest to Elizabethan times English it gets. So the next time you hear someone British popping off say "nice fake accent dipshit."

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By Azteck

Well I love both, seeing as I speak neither of them.. or I talk with a more American accent than a British accent. Of course there are accents I dislike from both countries.

I spell in the American way though, mostly because of my spell-check tells me to do so.

Elemental_89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Elemental_89

Well here's something you guys can check out, it'll seem like blatent advertisment but it really isnt lol

www.myspace.com/elementalfunky

If anybody likes old school hip hop go on there, its a british mc from the north west, and an american mc from detroit, its an interesting clash of accents that i think sound really good together.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#54  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
@Commando said:
" @The_A_Drain: What the OP is referring to, is the typical American businessman accent, that covers the biggest percentage of Americans. The accent that most of Hollywood portrays as the typical American accent. That is the most widely spoken.

Edit: Found this funny video of English girls attempting the American accent. They actually got the R's down pretty well, which I heard is the hardest part. I say we all should post sound clips of us attempting the accent of the other country.

"
that quite literally hurt my IQ i can see that the british all so have a problem with annoying teenage girls.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#55  Edited By penguindust

I have a question for the English on GB.  If a flashlight is called a torch, what's a torch [burning stick of wood] called?  And why the hell is the hood of a car called a bonnet?

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By ninjakiller

Another interesting fact what many is the world and even America consider to be an "American" accent is due to tv.  General American—like BritishReceived Pronunciation (RP) as well as most standard language varieties of many other societies—was never the accent of the entire nation. General American is sometimes promoted as preferable to other regional accents. 

This is a great book on the whole "english language" history. 

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By toowalrus

The girls do ;-)

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By The_A_Drain
@PenguinDust said:
"I have a question for the English on GB.  If a flashlight is called a torch, what's a torch [burning stick of wood] called?  And why the hell is the hood of a car called a bonnet? "

I think a better question would be the inverse, they are torches and bonnets, why the hell do you call them flashlights and hoods?

Anyway, bonnet i'm not sure of, but I suspect it has something to do with, well, a bonnet.

A torch on the other hand is just that, a torch be it electronic, or a piece of oil soaked material wrapped around a piece of wood.
darkspirit138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#59  Edited By darkspirit138
@Commando said:
" @The_A_Drain: What the OP is referring to, is the typical American businessman accent, that covers the biggest percentage of Americans. The accent that most of Hollywood portrays as the typical American accent. That is the most widely spoken.

Edit: Found this funny video of English girls attempting the American accent. They actually got the R's down pretty well, which I heard is the hardest part. I say we all should post sound clips of us attempting the accent of the other country.

"
WTF
maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By maxszy

I LOVE English accents. LOVE them. Totally classy, they're great.

I have a basic American accent. (From the NW so we don't have any specific accent really, just standard.)

Amilmitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Amilmitt
@The_A_Drain said:
" @PenguinDust said:
"I have a question for the English on GB.  If a flashlight is called a torch, what's a torch [burning stick of wood] called?  And why the hell is the hood of a car called a bonnet? "

I think a better question would be the inverse, they are torches and bonnets, why the hell do you call them flashlights and hoods?Anyway, bonnet i'm not sure of, but I suspect it has something to do with, well, a bonnet.A torch on the other hand is just that, a torch be it electronic, or a piece of oil soaked material wrapped around a piece of wood. "
i believe the reason for bonnet is that many refer to their car as "she", and so a bonnet is a hat for woman, i guess they just thought to put it their and it stuck.
as for torch, probably general meaning for anything that produces light for the purpose of seeing in the dark.
joshs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#62  Edited By joshs

So glad I don't have a terrible southern accent, even though I've lived in Texas my entire life. :)

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Amilmitt said:
"@The_A_Drain said:
" @PenguinDust said:

I think a better question would be the inverse, they are torches and bonnets, why the hell do you call them flashlights and hoods?Anyway, bonnet i'm not sure of, but I suspect it has something to do with, well, a bonnet.A torch on the other hand is just that, a torch be it electronic, or a piece of oil soaked material wrapped around a piece of wood. "
i believe the reason for bonnet is that many refer to their car as "she", and so a bonnet is a hat for woman, i guess they just thought to put it their and it stuck.as for torch, probably general meaning for anything that produces light for the purpose of seeing in the dark."

The car one sounds spot on, the torch thing though, I think it's just because an electronic torch is used in the same situations for the same purposes. There are other light sources that are not called torches, for example lanterns, lamps, but I think those all share oil as a source of fuel. (Although, wooden torches also use oil soaked rag for the tip, so I don't know)
Amilmitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Amilmitt

also like to note, British people can completely lose their accent if they change country's.
my grandfather moved to BC Canada when he was 18, you can now no longer tell if hes British.
completely lost his accent, now it sounds like a normal Canadian.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#65  Edited By ahoodedfigure
@Tylea002: Is that an Eddie Izzard reference?

There are other silent h's out there, so it just depends :)
ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By ninjakiller
@Commando said:

"
That brunette is smoking.
FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#67  Edited By FLStyle
@MattyFTM said:
" @Ineedaname said:
"Mum, once again note the U, "
Mum/Mom/Mam are used interchangeably in different regions of the UK. Mum is probably the most common, but mom is pretty common in the West Midlands & North West. It isn't an Americanization, it originated over here. Similarly in some regions of the US, they use Mum. "
I have never heard anyone refer to their mother as "mom" in the North West, not once.

I don't mind the American accent any more or less than other countries' accents. Although I'm not a fan of the percentage of people who end all their sentences as if they're asking a question? It gets rather annoying? Can you see what I did there? I bet you did? I also don't like "y'all".
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#68  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@FLStyle said:
" @MattyFTM said:
" @Ineedaname said:
Mum/Mom/Mam are used interchangeably in different regions of the UK. Mum is probably the most common, but mom is pretty common in the West Midlands & North West. It isn't an Americanization, it originated over here. Similarly in some regions of the US, they use Mum. "
I have never heard anyone refer to their mother as "mom" in the North West, not once.
"
It is growing out of popularity, but you still hear some people use it.
Amilmitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Amilmitt
@The_A_Drain said:
" @Amilmitt said:
"@The_A_Drain said:
" @PenguinDust said:

i believe the reason for bonnet is that many refer to their car as "she", and so a bonnet is a hat for woman, i guess they just thought to put it their and it stuck.as for torch, probably general meaning for anything that produces light for the purpose of seeing in the dark."
The car one sounds spot on, the torch thing though, I think it's just because an electronic torch is used in the same situations for the same purposes. There are other light sources that are not called torches, for example lanterns, lamps, but I think those all share oil as a source of fuel. (Although, wooden torches also use oil soaked rag for the tip, so I don't know) "
could also be that the electronic torch (flashlight) replaced the stick torch in what it was used for(a quick easy light) going along the lines that it was an upgrade, so why change the name.
FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#70  Edited By FLStyle
@MattyFTM said:
" @FLStyle said:
" @MattyFTM said:
" @Ineedaname said:
"
It is growing out of popularity, but you still hear some people use it. "
I'll have to pay more attention in future, may have heard it loads of times and not noticed it.
eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By eclipsesis

Im British. I don't think we hate the american accent, i just think we are a little pissed about the fact that we have been using this language since the 5th centuary (old english) and the US who are only about 230 years old (colonisation) take a language which we developed and change stuff then teach it to other nations wrong.

I also believe we are a little bitter that most of you don't recognise that you have European ancestors. Because without Europe the US you know today wouldn't exist.

But back to the point no i don't hate the american accent, although people from the deep south sound a bit retarded

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#73  Edited By GreggD
@Euge said:
" The accent on 'the hills' tv program is terrible, I'm assuming it's beverly hills? Some Americans have an accent thats comparable to the Essex accent in that they use the word like a lot (A word that fits the accent). Two things about that accent, it's irritating and it makes people sound stupid whether they are or not.Americans say the word ass better than us English. "
Sure, it sounds meaner, but I prefer arse, personally.
ColinRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By ColinRyan

I'm Irish and when I was in Florida everyone LOVED my accent. I don't even notice it. I guess everyone's the same. If someone told you that you had an accent you'd be like 'Do I?'
But anyhoo, My favourite accents are Scottish and Australian. Dunno why. I just really like them. I don't like the English accent, probably because i'm Irish, and sorry I don't like most American accents, They just annoy me. Once again I don't know why, they just do.

Edit: And the Irish say arse the best!

DeadMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By DeadMan
@Tylea002:
I'm from Texas, no shit really there's an h in herb....wow.....idiot
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Jayge_
@eclipsesis said:
" Im British. I don't think we hate the american accent, i just think we are a little pissed about the fact that we have been using this language since the 5th centuary (old english) and the US who are only about 230 years old (colonisation) take a language which we developed and change stuff then teach it to other nations wrong. I also believe we are a little bitter that most of you don't recognise that you have European ancestors. Because without Europe the US you know today wouldn't exist.But back to the point no i don't hate the american accent, although people from the deep south sound a bit retarded "
And without the US, the Europe you know today wouldn't exist. Don't go down that stupid road.

"

I always thought British people were better at imitating American accents than Americans were at imitating British accents. I guess we all just suck. Especially them :-|
Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Osaladin

I don't blame you guys for not liking southern accents, I hate them, and I've lived in the south for most of my life. I still don't have a bit of southern accent and I'm proud of that fact, considering that all I hear is ya'll and what not.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#78  Edited By daniel_beck_90
@Tylea002 said:
 I can't understand a fucking word that most people from Texas say
 I on the other hand sometimes can hardly understand British accent specially the one spoken in London and southern England !  I however adore Liverpudlian accent since It's simply the most elegant  and clearest British accent ever .
cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By cloneslayer

wow, its kinda weird seeing English people struggle with American accents, makes sense but never really though about it before.

I do think its funny wow people from the south think people from the north talk too fast. You talk to slow! get you words out, I got shit to do.

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#80  Edited By Out_On_Bail

I went to Bulgaria on a 3 day pass while I was in the Army a few years back.  At the hotel I stayed at in Sofia (the capital) there just happened to be a group of british students there as well.  It was weird though because I actually ran into them at the bar, not the hotel.  Anyways, we partied like it was 1999 and had a blast.  They loved us Americans that day, and we loved them.  I constantly tried to mimick their accent, but they said I sounded more like a Scot then I did a Brit.  I tried to tell them they were wrong because I know my James Bond.  It was a blast though.  They also tried to mimick my American accent and butchered it as well.  All they knew, much like that video, was how to say stuff most American's don't say.  

These guys were from Gloucester (spelling) which to my knowledge is south of London.  I could be wrong.  Anyways, moral of the story - that particular group loved how we talked and visaversa.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#81  Edited By oldschool

I generally only dislike American accents in games.  Not all games, just those set in Europe or Asia pre America.  It happens in movies as well (Tom Cruise as a German soldier with an American accent?  No thanks).  I just wish that they would get voice actors from Asia and Europe to do it, in their own accented English.

Like many non Americans (and some Americans), southern accents can be annoying, however, I think the=is needs some clarification.

Watch a show like Wife Swap and some of the English accents are just torture.  The cockney accent is the worst - "know what I mean"  Watch the American Wife Swap and you will be just as annoyed at some.  By the way, speaking of wife Swap, why is the announcer on the English show so classy and understated, and the American announcer is like every American announcer - way over the top, and ridiculously melodramatic?  My kids love taking the piss out of that announcer (which South Park are good at sending up).

As for my own accent.  Australia like all English speaking countries has many different accents, depending on where you live.  Not all Australians speak like myself - I say chahnce, plahnt et cetera, so my accent is considered soft and more English.  When I was travelling in the US and Canada almost no-one picked me as Australian, mostly English.  I don't think I sound English.  When we were on a bus to Universal Studios, I was embarrassed by the coarse nature of the Australian accent.  Some of it is just awful.  Where I live now (in Tasmania), our children were picked on when we moved here.  They would say "oooh, miss posh accent, how long have you been in Australia?"

When I spent time at a school in a little town called Mariposa, in California, my chlldren went to their primary school for 2 days.  The kids were great, but they were bemused as to why I didn't sound like Steve Irwin.  I did the accent just for chuckles.

The worst part of the Tasmanian accent is the long 'i'.  Time is pronounced as toime.  I hate it.

Oh, and an American accent I just love and one that makes me chuckle, i a good way, is the North-Eastern accent (I think) that is used in Fargo.  That is brilliant.
lukeissxc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By lukeissxc
@Cloneslayer said:
"wow, its kinda weird seeing English people struggle with American accents, makes sense but never really though about it before.I do think its funny wow people from the south think people from the north talk too fast. You talk to slow! get you words out, I got shit to do."

Don't talk to us if you don't want to have a conversation. If you talk to a southerner you better be ready to have a good long conversation because we love to talk. It's called southern hospitality.

Northern Accents don't bother me that much its just when I hear certain things pronounced differently that it bothers me. Having family from Connecticut I often hear the word Idea pronounced as Idear and it really gets on my nerves.
Skillface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Skillface

Canadian here. I like the English accent and the American accent.

The stereotypical Canadian accent probably comes from Newfoundland (eh?), but a majority of Canadians speak nothing like that. We also use the British spelling --- which I prefer --- for colour, favourite, etc.

Heavy french Canadian accents can get on my nerves though; I grew up in Montréal so that's all I heard.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#84  Edited By Nasar7

This thread got me interested in the different varieties of British accents. This guy is Scottish, I think, and he imitates a lot of accents hilariously. Is this accurate?

Edit: He's from Rotherham but lives in London. He does voice work and is a comedian.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Jayge_
@lukeissxc said:
" Don't talk to us if you don't want to have a conversation. If you talk to a southerner you better be ready to have a good long conversation because we love to talk. It's called southern hospitality.Northern Accents don't bother me that much its just when I hear certain things pronounced differently that it bothers me. Having family from Connecticut I often hear the word Idea pronounced as Idear and it really gets on my nerves. "
Nobody from Connecticut pronounces "idea" as "idear" unless they or their parents are from Boston or New York.

Edit: I guess I should probably clarify. If they migrated from the NY region they will probably say "cawfee" or "idear," if they migrated from the Boston region they're more likely to say "cahfee" or "ideah." Most people from Connecticut have a very plain, no-nonsense accent. Such as myself :-|

@oldschool said:
"North-Eastern accent (I think) that is used in Fargo.  That is brilliant.
"
That's what we usually call a Wisconsin or Minnesota accent, which is northern MidWest.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#86  Edited By natetodamax

I wish I talked with an English accent. That would be awesome.

Godlovesugly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#87  Edited By Godlovesugly
@NoDeath: I can't remember who but someone, might have been Stephen Fry thinks that some Australians do have an American accent because of the way everything you(them,whoever) make every sentence sound like a question.(?)

On topic though: I quite like American accents because there's no stigma (For lack of a better word) for each accent, quite like that youtube video up there.
I hear an American accent and I don't get a specific image in my head about what that person may look like or what they might be like, mostly because I don't know enough about America it all sounds foreign and exciting, novel even.
eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By eclipsesis
@Jayge said:
"@eclipsesis said:
" Im British. I don't think we hate the american accent, i just think we are a little pissed about the fact that we have been using this language since the 5th centuary (old english) and the US who are only about 230 years old (colonisation) take a language which we developed and change stuff then teach it to other nations wrong. I also believe we are a little bitter that most of you don't recognise that you have European ancestors. Because without Europe the US you know today wouldn't exist.But back to the point no i don't hate the american accent, although people from the deep south sound a bit retarded "
And without the US, the Europe you know today wouldn't exist. Don't go down that stupid road.

"

I always thought British people were better at imitating American accents than Americans were at imitating British accents. I guess we all just suck. Especially them :-|
"

touche friend, touche
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Linkyshinks

There are many forms of the accent, so it's hard to say. Some sound cool, while some others are not so.  A few can be quite annoying if severe. Those voice actors in American ads are particularly bad.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#90  Edited By Claude

I live in the U.S. South, but I no longer have an accent. I live close to the Appalachian mountains and enjoy theater. I love Shakespeare and it is said that the people of Appalachia do Shakespeare quite well, because their accent has some semblance to Elizabethan English.

I found this article. http://www.bbc.co.uk/voices/recordings/individual/ulster-omagh-mckenna-stephen.shtml

Here's a quote from the article.

It's interesting to hear Stephen talk about the echoes of Elizabethan English that he hears in older speakers locally and the comparisons he draws with the English used by William Shakespeare. The same has been said of English dialects in the Appalachian Mountains in the USA.

Some people believe this to only be a myth.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By turbomonkey138

No

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By turbomonkey138

The north Yorkshire accent does not sound classy m8 lol

Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Commando

Any House fans out there? Hugh Laurie, the guy that plays Dr. House is English. He does a pretty good job of faking an American accent on House, but it does sound different than anything I've ever heard. You can tell his British accent isn't as thick as it used to be when he's talking normally.

Well, he was on Ellen. They compared slang terms. 
I've never even heard of the slang term, "flossing" used in that context. No one really says ba-donka-donk. I've never heard anyone besides rappers say "Shawty". I think she cheated!
Do any British guys here want to tell us if the slang terms that Hugh Laurie gives are actually used?

Avatar image for electricboogaloo
ElectricBoogaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

User Lists: 6

#94  Edited By ElectricBoogaloo
@Commando said:
" Any House fans out there? Hugh Laurie, the guy that plays Dr. House is English. He does a pretty good job of faking an American accent on House, but it does sound different than anything I've ever heard. You can tell his British accent isn't as thick as it used to be when he's talking normally.
I've never even heard of the slang term, "flossing" used in that context. No one really says ba-donka-donk. I've never heard anyone besides rappers say "Shawty". I think she cheated!
Do any British guys here want to tell us if the slang terms that Hugh Laurie gives are actually used?

"
Chuffed is one, never heard of the first.
DeadMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By DeadMan
@ninjakiller:

ganja?
eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By eclipsesis

@turbomonkey138 said:

"The north Yorkshire accent does not sound classy m8 lol "

eh im from yorkshire and i don't even have the accent 

Ishoturface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 7

#98  Edited By Ishoturface
@Euge: amen to that!
Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Systech
@MattyFTM said:
" I am indifferent towards the accent. What does annoy me though, is the stupid spellings you use for some words!!!! It's colour & flavour, not color and flavor. And I hate that you say football when referring to a game that it not football!!!!!! And that you call football Soccer, a word that is a slang term for the word Association. "I'm going to watch a match of association". IT MAKES NO SENSE!!!!!!!! "
Not to mention our inane use of Fahrenheit and all sorts of other nonsense in measuring methods.
Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Oriental_Jams
@ElectricBoogaloo said:
" @Commando said:
" Any House fans out there? Hugh Laurie, the guy that plays Dr. House is English. He does a pretty good job of faking an American accent on House, but it does sound different than anything I've ever heard. You can tell his British accent isn't as thick as it used to be when he's talking normally.
"
Chuffed is one, never heard of the first. "
You've never heard of chin-wag? I'm shocked.