Do English People like the American Accent?

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#201  Edited By damswedon

im not bothered much by the general American accent but I do hate the 
I-raq 
I-ran 
and A-loom-in-um

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#202  Edited By ryanwho

Yeah my brief experiences with foreign people remind me I still have an accent. In America women are insulted by being called ma'am but I guess its endearing everywhere else.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#203  Edited By yakov456
@nrain said:
" Some American accents really annoy me. I'm thinking whatever accent Sarah Silverman has, oh dear god she cuts right through me.  "
The official book name for that accent is "Annoying broad who thinks she is hilarious"
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204  Edited By ryanwho

I don't think New Hampshire has an accent. Or rather, they have the accent Americans associate with a lack of an accent. You have to drop a lot of acid to get the same natural cadence as Silverman.

Persecution89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205  Edited By Persecution89
@trophyhunter:

Oh absolutely.. and it's for me at least a welcome suprise to find American coins in my change. :D
Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#206  Edited By GunslingerPanda

I find nothing more pestulant than an American accent.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By Azteck

Seeing as I come from neither of these places, I can say whatever I damn please. I dig british accents, but I prefer a lot of American accents.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By ryanwho
@GunslingerPanda said:
" I find nothing more pestulant than an American accent. "
You care to define your made up word? 
Foxtrot0245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#209  Edited By Foxtrot0245
@GunslingerPanda: The way I see it, we won the Revolutionary war, the war of 1812, and kept your entire region of the world from speaking German. By default, I think our accent should be the "normal" version and you all can be the stuffy dicks who speak like you have a dictionary stuffed (sideways) up your ass. Oh, and "football" is soccer, because we said so; deal with it, unless you want have another go at it with us bloody yanks.

Obviously I'm kidding, but your post was a bit overstated...
Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By Ragdrazi
@Foxtrot0245 said: I think he might be kidding. What with his Darkwing Duck avatar.
Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By Hot_Karl

From what I can tell, the ladies seem to dig the American accent. At least it makes us stand out in some sort of way, much like how guys with an accent are noticeable for girls in America. 

AlfredCapone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By AlfredCapone
@SlowHands said:

" Sometimes American accents can grate on me.  Different pronunciations and spellings can grind on me too.  But I'm just a fuss pot. "

Well have you ever heard a person from like Mississippi or anywhere in the 'Southern US' speak? Its horrid.......
DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#213  Edited By DoctorWelch

Since when do people like English accents?

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By Hot_Karl
@DoctorWelch said:
" Since when do people like English accents? "
I like the U.K. English accent. It makes everything sound posh and sophisticated, even the very sloppy and colloquial speak that some natives have.
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#215  Edited By Yummylee
@DoctorWelch said:
" Since when do people like English accents? "
Since when did you come out from under your rock?
Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#216  Edited By Skytylz
@JoshS said:
" So glad I don't have a terrible southern accent, even though I've lived in Texas my entire life. :) "
I've noticed it's mostly the rural areas in southern USA that have that horrible accent. 
Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I blame Friends for making me think New York women sound like stressed cats, Thank You Rachel Green. 

Other than that the American accent is an accent that doesn't bother me. But I'd like to see an American reaction to a Brummie, Scouser or Geordie accent and not pull a straight face. Thank god I only have a small ounce of a brummie accent. Even so, most Brits get that accent wrong too. 

actually, forget Rachel, Monica is worse for it...

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By Ragdrazi
@RhombusOfTerror said:

" I blame Friends for making me think New York women sound like stressed cats, Thank You Rachel Green.  Other than that the American accent is an accent that doesn't bother me. But I'd like to see an American reaction to a Brummie, Scouser or Geordie accent and not pull a straight face. Thank god I only have a small ounce of a brummie accent. Even so, most Brits get that accent wrong too. "

Well, that sounds like a challenge. Since Brummie, Scouser, and Geordie are terms I've never heard of, I'm posting a YouTube video of each, and you can tell me if that's how the accent actually sounds.

Brummie.

Sounds like a British accent to me. I thought the way he said "Haus" seemed kind of pleasant. The shop keeper seemed to have the more annoying voice to me.

Scouser. 

Not really funny, just jarring and almost incomprehensible. Sounds vaugly Irish or Scottish to me.

Geordie 

About as incomprehensible, but a little smother. Less jarring. I can pick out a sentence or two. It actually sounds... Canadian. I didn't know there was another accent with that really hard "aboot". Kind of sounds Scandinavian, and reminds me of the Minnesota accent. Has that same "Min-neh-soo-ta" bounce. Kind of funny, yeah.
MjHealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 15

#220  Edited By MjHealy

I have more a problem with English accents. The standard "BBC English" is A-OK but when you get to Notherners, I can't stand it. Americans are fine, expect tourist who always seem to have the most grating accent. You can have fun with the different American accents, but that Northern English accent, the Peter Key sort of one, just annoys me. Accents always make me think. I come from a, lets say, "shitty" part of Dublin in Ireland but I sound a lot more posh than other people in my area.

EvolutionX0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By EvolutionX0

I like all American accents but the southern Texas accent.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By GunslingerPanda
@Foxtrot0245 said:
" @GunslingerPanda: The way I see it, we won the Revolutionary war, the war of 1812, and kept your entire region of the world from speaking German. By default, I think our accent should be the "normal" version and you all can be the stuffy dicks who speak like you have a dictionary stuffed (sideways) up your ass. Oh, and "football" is soccer, because we said so; deal with it, unless you want have another go at it with us bloody yanks.  Obviously I'm kidding, but your post was a bit overstated... "
Massive spoiler right here:
Joshakazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By Joshakazam

Australian accent is still the sexiest.