Do you drink the leftover milk from your cereal?

• 174 results
Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Poll Do you drink the leftover milk from your cereal? (1187 votes)

I drink the leftover milk 78%
Once the cereal is done I pour the milk away 14%
I don't ever eat cereal and/or just want to see the answers 8%

In what must be, lord willing, clearly just Dan playing the "heel" to rile people up on the internet, he has tweeted a video showing him pouring leftover milk from cereal down the drain and stating that as the "..proper use of cereal milk."

Now naturally some people got kinda upset, if not only because it's kinda wasteful but because it's clearly insane. Almost as insane as thinking that Sunday is the first day of the week, or that figs have whole wasps in them, or a number of other Dan-isms we've come to love and hate in equal measure.

But I pose the question to you Giant Bomb members!

Do you drink your leftover milk? Or is it as someone suggested, simply "gravy for your cereal" that you get rid of when the cereal is done?

Tweet in question:

• 
Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Zevvion

I'm going to be a huge bummer and say that I never eat cereal and I don't understand people that do.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

I drink the milk. It doesn't go bad within the time frame of eating cereal.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I admire Dan's dedication to be a heel about the small things in life. But yes, I drink the leftover milk because it's the gift at the end of the meal. Like a breakfast dessert.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like milk. If I use any milk to soften the cereal, I only use a small amount so there is barely any left at the end. Were there any excess milk, I throw it away - but I do think that if that happens, you've used too much milk to begin with.

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, it depends on the cereal for me. Chocolaty cereal? Always drink the milk. Fruity cereal? Almost never drink the milk. Grape Nuts (the best cereal)? I use so little milk that it's basically all absorbed by the cereal and there's nothing left to drink.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Humanity

@zevvion: It's a food type that some people enjoy. I don't think there is anything deeper to understand beyond that - why do some people like apples and others like pears - that sort of thing.

I gotta say, the diversity of people in the world is astounding. Here I once again mistakenly thought this was a very cut and dry issue, drink it or don't, but only a few replies in and already so many fascinating answers.

Avatar image for professionaltwitters
professionaltwitters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I absolutely drink the leftover milk. That being said, I discovered in college that I apparently do so in an odd manner in that instead of just straight up drinking from the bowl, I spoon the remainder. It wasn't until a roommate called me out on this practice that I realized that it was uncommon to do so.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LeStephan

Ive always thought cereals or muesli with milk to be absolutely disgusting. I only mix with yoghurt and only one spoon at a time so the cereal/muesli doesnt get soggy.

I honestly like cereal and muesli the best crunchy and without anything.... why would you want to soften it up? Its not like we are babies that can not chew.... is there any actual reason as to why its such a taken that cereal or muesli need to be made soggy and disgusting to be considered edible?

(I find the taste of milk really realy nasty anyways to the point of it making me puke though so that might partially help explain my opinion haha, I also just instantly start producing insane amounts of thick saliva from milk. too much yoghurt and or fruit does the same to me but not nearly as bad)

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@zevvion: It's a food type that some people enjoy. I don't think there is anything deeper to understand beyond that - why do some people like apples and others like pears - that sort of thing.

Right, but the reason why people like certain foods can say something about them. In this case I think people who eat cereal must be incredibly boring people. They also prefer mainstream music because they don't like to make up their own minds about things and have never eaten a banana from the bottom up before. This is the conspiracy's truth many will try to cover up.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good to see Old Dan is back.

I don't drink cereal milk, but it's because I don't like milk. I also haven't had cold cereal in years.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: I dunno sometimes I'm in the mood for cereal and sometimes I'm in the mood for pancakes and other times I like eggs in various forms. It really depends. Recently I've been eating granola type cereal for breakfast after not having eaten any cereal for the past 5-6 years. I'm really enjoying it.

kblosnack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kblosnack

I only drink because it's cold milk, hot milk is gross

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Humanity

This thread is also a good reminder that there are a ton of you monsters out there that don't like milk.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use yogurt with my cereal these days.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By forteexe21

Clearly New Dan only shows up in even years while Old Dan shows up in odd years. Or New Dan died in SF. I wonder what he thinks of cereal with ice cream as demonstrated by Tested's Norman Chan. (41:39)

Loading Video...

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to agree with Dan on this one. Leftover cereal milk is awful. I did used to drink the leftover milk because I'm not that wasteful but I sure didn't enjoy it. Thankfully I've gotten so good at portioning that I basically have almost no milk left when I'm finished these days.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By LeStephan

@humanity: I mean... Dont get me wrong, I consume plenty of milk as well through other means like creme freche or cheese and what have you. But its pretty weird to be consuming another species breastmilk, dont you think? Theres not another creature on this earth that voluntarily does that (besides cats and those are totally little fuzzy cute monsters!). And people that DONT are the monster according to you? :p

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By Atwa

I always drink it, it gets flavored by the cereal and gets really delicious. Its basically chocolate milk left if you eat coco pops.

Though I cannot remember last time I ate cereal.. I just kinda don't like it much.

shiro2809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The milk afterwards is probably like, my favorite part of eating cereal...

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#21  Edited By isomeri

@zevvion said:

I'm going to be a huge bummer and say that I never eat cereal and I don't understand people that do.

Same for me. I guess that, for my parents, throwing some cereal into a bowl was an easy way to get me to eat even a bit of breakfast as a child. But I do not understand adults who eat cereal regularly.

@humanity: Yes, milk is gross. I mean cheese and butter and all those things are wonderful, but milk itself not so much.

Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dimi3je

I use yogurt with my cereal these days.

exclusively

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

When I used to eat cereal, yes, absolutely! It's the same stuff you were eating/drinking! Sure the cereal's a bit soggier at that point but there isn't that much cereal left at that point!

happenstance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I don't like milk so I have my cereal dry.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bet Dan doesn't peel his carrots before eating them either...

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do, when it occurs to me i will have a glass of milk every now and then, it's refreshing, leftover milk from cereal is just like having a milkshake.
It was great when i was a kid that had chocolate cereal but now i'm more sugar concious and they put SO MUCH SUGAR in chocolate cereals, i'm also a little wheat intolerant now so i'm on Rice Krispies which arn't too bad on the sugar, the resulting toasted rice infused milk is delicious.

I read the topic backwards, the milk isn't "leftover" like some unnecessary addition, once the leftover cereal is gone the best part of the meal arrives.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I don't eat breakfast much so I don't eat a lot of cereal by association. When I do eat cereal I will often throw away the milk after I'm done. I don't like milk i general.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

I like milk. There's milk in the bowl when I'm done eating cereal. I drink the leftover milk because I like milk.

Does Dan not like milk and if so, why is he eating cereal with milk? Is leftover milk too warm for him and if so, how long does he take to eat his cereal after he prepares it? Does he not like the flavor of milk and cereal together, and if so, why is he eating prepared cereal at all?

Seems I can't find any logical reason as to why someone that enjoys prepared cereal would dump the leftover milk out.

Emperor_Norton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#29  Edited By Emperor_Norton

I wrote an email to the Bombcast about this a while ago that never made it on air, but seeing where we are now I feel compelled to reprint it here:

Dan is ABSOLUTELY correct that one shouldn’t drink cereal milk, but his reasoning is completely wrong: you shouldn’t drink cereal milk BECAUSE THERE SHOULDN'T BE ANY MILK LEFT AFTER YOU FINISH YOUR CEREAL!

“Impossible!” you may exclaim, but it should be the goal of any serious cereal enthusiast to strive for zero leftover milk after their final spoonful of cereal. Indeed, the true cereal master takes into account bowl depth, spoon size, milk to cereal ratio, milk absorption, time to sogginess, fluid displacement, bowl angles and proper spoon technique in order to ensure maximum milk/cereal consumption.

True, you could just lap up that leftover milk like a filthy animal, but you would be denying yourself the Zen-like feeling of peace that comes from a truly empty cereal bowl.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't drink the milk, or eat the cereal because... CEREAL SUX

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Where's the option for "milk and cereal should be always kept separate"?

All adding milk to cereal accomplishes is to make the cereal soggy and the milk taste weird. It's a good way to ruin two otherwise good things by putting them together.

nexuson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I eat cereal (once a month maybe) I have very little milk in, just to make the cereal a little moist, barely have any leftover milk from that, if there was I would throw it away. Also cowmilk is not for humans anyway :)

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#34  Edited By TobbRobb

I don't really like cereal much, mostly any meal that is primarily liquid I don't really get behind. But when I do eat it I make sure to empty the bowl into my stomach. To be honest, the milk getting flavored/sweetened by cereal might taste better than the cereal itself.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where is the "I don't put milk in my cereal because it is disgusting and it ruins the perfectly good taste of dry cereal" option?

xanatos357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, I have some of the same bowls Dan does...but I drink the milk.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course I do because I'm not a fucking savage.

Also you mop up the gravy with bread at the end of a meal and eat it also you bloody reprobates.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@takayamasama: I didn't put ridiculously false options on the poll because I'm not insane. Milk is delicious, everyone that doesn't think so is wrong and probably a terrorist.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't eat cereal for breakfast, so I just wanted to see the answers.

I will say back in college I had a flat mate who wouldn't drink the milk OR toss it down the drain. It would just be left to sit for hours at a time. It was really gross X_X

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Casepb

Fuck yeah I do! It's the best part! And wow I can't believe some people don't eat cereal. What a horrible time we live in.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#41  Edited By Nodima

I think cereal milk is pretty gross. I like milk, from 2% to whole. That said, I'll eat cereal straight out of the box with no milk at all as often as I'll eat it with a spoon and some milk. Cereal is already expensive enough and not very filling, if I'm pouring two to four bowls of Cheerios or Crispix and refilling it with milk two, maybe three times that's a pretty expensive at-home breakfast / snack in dollars to stomach filled ratio. Up there with potato chips.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isomeri said:

@zevvion said:

Same for me. I guess that, for my parents, throwing some cereal into a bowl was an easy way to get me to eat even a bit of breakfast as a child. But I do not understand adults who eat cereal regularly.

@humanity: Yes, milk is gross. I mean cheese and butter and all those things are wonderful, but milk itself not so much.

It's an American culture thing as well though. Over here people eat oatmeal a lot more. Eating pancakes for breakfast is also very American. You eat them for dinner normally. You also don't make them that thick. America is just weird.

Avatar image for deactivated-633c70ff026e8
deactivated-633c70ff026e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't eat cereal anymore, but when I did I'm pretty sure I drank the milk.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't eat cereal that often anymore but I always felt the milk at the end was the best part. Chocolatey milk for Coco Pops or nice creamy honey milk after a bowl of Crunchy Nut or Sugar Puffs, the best.

It'd be madness to waste that!

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#45  Edited By Marz

after eating a bowl of cocoa pebbles, it's basically just chocolate milk afterwards and the best part of the meal.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for opusofthemagnum
OpusOfTheMagnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use extra milk to make sure I've got plenty to drink up. I love milk and cereal milk is the best milk!

Don't eat cereal/use so much milk if you're just tossing the milk. It's wasteful and just silly to skip out on the best part of the meal.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#48  Edited By militantfreudian

I just had a bowl of chocolate-flavored cereal and I drank the cereal milk afterwards. It was pretty okay.

Edit: Cereal and coke for breakfast? I think I got diabetes just from looking at the photo.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@casepb said:

Fuck yeah I do! It's the best part! And wow I can't believe some people don't eat cereal. What a horrible time we live in.

My kid is allergic to milk, soy, wheat, & nuts.

Everything about cereal is a $200 Epipen & a $200 trip to the ER.

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gross, no.

That said, I generally don't have much leftover milk anyway. I usually eat 2-3 bowls and I don't put extra milk in, so by the time I'm done there usually isn't much in the bowl anymore.

Also, this is now twice in a row that I agree with "controversial" Dan statements after previously almost never doing so; something about him moving to the East Coast has caused him to finally start revealing his beliefs that actually make sense to me.