Do you hate your current job?

• 126 results
personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you hate your current job? (809 votes)

Yes. 31%
No. 51%
I'm unemployed. 20%

Yes. With a passion.

• 
Buble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@haz: I worked nearby and absolutely hated it. The job itself wasn't great but the commute to and from the east end was just atrociousness and made it seem a lot worse than it was. It wasn't until I moved out of Toronto entirely, where I am able to afford to live like an actual human being, that I started feeling a lot better about the job situation.

Long term my goal is to become self-employed but, for now, I'm very happy with my job and actually look forward into going into the office most days.

elyk247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 25

I'm a student, but I guess I'm unemployed.

I couldn't help but read that option and say it out loud like The Dude says it when talking to the cops after his car gets stolen.

Garris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a carpenter working for a general contractor , I tend to get opportunities to do a lot of different things in construction. I've been able to work on form work on smaller bridges to house hold renos to 6 story wood frames buildings to building a playhouse for a habitat for humanity charity with my current gig being a trial assistant super job on a new jaguar/land rover dealership.

I get to work alongside all sorts of tradesmen from all ethnicities and my day can consist of anything from making sure a site is clean, to framing , to concrete form work , to dry walling , to finishing work, to installing structural steel, to working with machine operators for excavating

And grading.

I enjoy my job but the hours and commuting can be killer. I'm luck to be working 3 mins from my house right now but last year I was spending a minimum of 2 hours in the car which makes it hard with 2 small

Children .

singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I liked my job. I had a steady career increase at it. But now I'm unable to work and have to sit at home and waste my time until I finally age out of existence.

blackblade500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Right now I am a student going to college, but I work full time at Winndixie (which is a local grocery chain) in the dairy/frozen department and it can be very mind numbing at times. It is not hard at all and I make enough to help pay for things while in college but it is just the same thing everyday. The one thing that it is good for is a constant reminder for me to finish my bachelors degree and to stay on the path.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I had a pretty decent job that I disliked initially, but actually grew to like. Paid pretty well to the point where I really didn't have to worry much about bills and such. I got laid off a few weeks ago, it just kinda bums me out now.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Right now I'm a TA and marker at my university while doing my MA and I enjoy it a lot. Students have changed a lot this generation. Glad to see the kids are alright.

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I work as an associate at a fashion retailer (Eddie Bauer), and I really enjoy being sociable with customers and getting to interact with a wide variety of people throughout the day.

Also being the only guy on staff surrounded by a bunch of attractive girls is nice too.

I have to sell credit cards to people constantly which can be kind of stressful, because the way I end up pushing people to sign up for them, I know I would be annoying myself if I was talking to myself. After a while though, you become kind of desensitized to it and don't care about pushing people to anger.

I just got employee of the month too, overall I'd say it's my favorite job I've had thus far, being a delivery driver was unbearable

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Work IT in the lower Rio Grande Valley. My boss was a nice enough guy, but his background was in construction. Decent at time management, but had no idea how computers worked. His wife was the accountant. Also a nice person, but way demanding about forms and time sheets. Everything had to be done in triplicate. While I'd never wish anything bad on these people, they were always very pushy about their religion - their son told me multiple times I was going to go to hell because I didn't believe in God. Much of the clientele was actually friends of the owners - some even more pious than they are. It got old. Fast. Often times during projects for real customers I'd be sidelined by a co-worker because he had seniority. Often times this ended up being a major time sink - we'd work into the wee hours of the night doing something ridiculous easy like migrating servers or installing new workstations. He'd get grumpy past his bed time while I'd stay sometimes until 4 in the morning to ensure the customer had a seamless transition.

When joining the company I was super excited about it. Very small company, family owned. Got in on the "ground floor," so I was looking forward to helping grow the business and get things moving. Never quite happened. Took two years to convince the boss that we were wasting time doing "maintenance" ($95 an hour to perform defragmentation, deleting temporary files, etc. all in the hopes of finding a real problem) when we could use automated tools to do it cheaply and free us up for projects.

I've since given my two weeks - purely because I'd feel bad abandoning my co-workers and leaving them with my work load without having time to prep for it or for the owner to find a replacement. I don't have anything lined up, and I hope I can find something relatively soon. I'm fine with not working for a while though. It will give me the opportunity to get myself working out again (something I wish I hadn't let go. I need to have that habit to keep myself healthy mentally) and to help take care of my ailing father, hopefully saving my mother some grief.

If you're in a position where you hate your job, best thing I can offer in terms of advice is take whatever "vacation" you can get and use it to network and get out there.

greased_ltng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackblade500: Winndixie is the shit. They closed all of the ones in my area though. I miss 'em dearly.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

No, I don't. I work as a mental health therapist at a community clinic with the higher risk, more decompensated clients. I've been in this position for going on three years now. The work itself can be really challenging and, based on how things go with clients, can lead to sleepless nights filled with worry, regret and guilt. But it can be really rewarding as well. I like the challenge.

The part I don't like is how it can impact my personal life. In a way, but to a lesser degree, healthcare people share a similar predicament to those in the military and police force. We are exposed to a world and reality most people have only seen fictionalized and, honestly, the fiction doesn't do it justice. And my clientele in particular are in very bad positions in their lives and have experienced very terrible things, both as victims and perpetrators. I think I'm pretty good at separating my work and personal lives but, at times, the two collide and cause problems for me. Outside of the sleepless nights or occasional flashes of things I've seen I sometimes have a hard time relating to people. It's weird. When you've seen bad things first hand, as my job involves sessions in the home and responding to crisis calls, it makes it a little awkward to talk about things like favorite TV shows. Which is absurd because I adore consuming entertainment and love talking about it. It's just that when I remember my clients, my experiences and the decisions I've made for work normal things just don't seem to matter that much. I imagine it's like this times ten for returning vets and cops.

So I don't hate my job. I love it. It's just that it has unexpected consequences that I'm not fond of.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

Wheres the option for, "I don't hate it, but I don't want to be there much longer?"

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This just in: Fuck taelo for constantly crashing on me this week.

captainjudaism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ha! I don't have a job to hate!

I didn't really hate my previous job at first but after being denied a raise on several instances, having my vacation time denied for a reason they refused to explain, and even tried to make me work during the High Holidays (Rosh Ha-Shanah and Yom Kippur) they really started to chip away at my desire to work there. Ended up turning in my two weeks notice when I was informed that I was the only person not getting my raise that year, out of a company of 12 during one of our most profitable years, despite having some of the best numbers and reviews. Didn't help shortly after this news they let the 3 other tech guys, out of 4, go on vacation during the start of our busiest season and handed me all their projects on top of my own along with me spending every day they were gone getting yelled at by the owner for not being able to juggle all the companies projects alone on top of all the tech support calls and installs flooding in.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What if I like my job but dislike most of the people there? Maybe that says more about me...

Avatar image for thelastgunslinger
thelastgunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

I don't know, I'm about to start a new one!

blackblade500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greased_ltng: Yeah before I worked there, I had not been in one since I was a kid, always just seemed to expensive, still kinda is

None_Braver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love my job almost every day.

Also, how are 21% of you unemployed? If you aren't going to school, go get a job.

climax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Customer service is okay, but its the coworkers that really make the job. Pay is really poor though (minimum wage), so I'll probably looking for something else soon enough.

kilroyandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hear you loud and clear on that one!

I hate myself for being a worthless piece of shit at my job, and will be lucky if i could stay let alone move up in the same field in the future. It's also frustrating as i feel like a fuckup 24/7 and incapable of doing things properly.

I've just been lucky.

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Recently quit my job, because I hated it.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very happy at it. Looking for something more serious though.

stinger061

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes absolutely. I work a bad retail job which I've been at for 3 years and although I've reached a higher level and am happier than when I started it's still not where I want to be.

I'm striving to get into something I'm more interested in but getting an opportunity in a new industry is really difficult when those you are competing for jobs with have at least some experience and are therefore preferred choices.

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By hmoney001

Working in IT, I find it a love/hate relationship.

Some days you love it and some days its a dumpster fire.

My advice for anyone who hates there job, save what you can and move on. There will be better opportunity out there. You just gotta go find it.

Your mental well being is more important than getting a paycheck from a job you have to force yourself up every morning to go to.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

My current job is kind of boring but the office is a nice place to work in. I don't mind because it's my first real job out of college, and hopefully will make it easier to find a job doing something I really love in the future.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Love it.