Do you think that all the Whiskey Media sites need to merge?

• 114 results
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By Tireyo

I think that Giant Bomb, Anime Vice, Comic Vine, Tested, and Screened need to merge into just one site, along with all the editable wikis and major forums. Instead of having a multi-pass for different sites, I would like to see tabs at the top of the webpage that address each individual category (Video Games, Anime and Manga, Comics, Electronic Devises, Movies, and possibly Music could fit in there!) that way things wouldn’t really change too much… as the same people would still be in charge of their own section. In other words, the staff would still run their own section as always along with their podcasts and other content as they always have, and the look of the main web pages would remain the same when you switch in between tabs. Giant Bomb would look like Giant Bomb; Anime Vice would look like Anime Vice, and etc. There would have to be an agreement on what the overall sites name would be, so that would be up to the top people... unless they just want to call the all-in-one website simply Whiskey Media!

So what do you all think? Should all the Whiskey Media sites merge into one huge community and database? I think it would be really neat and convenient! What are your ideas, if any? Discuss.

EDIT: So from what I gather, this was a terrible idea. However, an easier way to get to the other Whiskey Media sites, like my tabs at the top of the page example, isn't such a bad idea! Looks like this all went somewhere!

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By WilltheMagicAsian

No.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Hizang

I am sorry and I mean no offence at all please understand that, but that is a terrible idea.

Sure it may sound good, but the forums would just be insanely big and difficult to navigate. The front page would be a mess of information overload (Like IGN) and it would be to much to handle for the staff.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King

I'm fairly certain that most of the answers will be "no".

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Nope. That would just create a giant clusterfuck and a headache for Dave and those who run the site.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Tireyo

@Hizang said:

I am sorry and I mean no offence at all please understand that, but that is a terrible idea.

Sure it may sound good, but the forums would just be insanely big and difficult to navigate. The front page would be a mess of information overload (Like IGN) and it would be to much to handle for the staff.

I think if everything was categorized correctly, then it wouldn't be so hard.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7  Edited By musubi

Awful awful idea. This isn't IGN.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By zeforgotten

Terrible idea

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Hizang

@Tireyo643: Again I apologise, but thats just my thought.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Tireyo

@Hizang said:

@Tireyo643: Again I apologise, but thats just my thought.

It's alright. I expected that there would be a lot of "no". =-P

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#11  Edited By pyromagnestir

If they could somehow intertwine the forums in an elegant manner so that a cool topic posted in, say, Tested or Screened could get seen and be responded to by someone using Giantbomb I think that would be cool, but I'd rather they keep the wikis and main sites separate.

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Nick

If by merge you mean a hub that shows the latest stuff from each website, but where they are still differentiable in that you can visit each site separately as they are now, then sure. If you mean scrap the individual sites and make one super-site, then no.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By penguindust

Nah, that would be chaos, but it would be nice if you had the option to link "Off-Topic" threads across other WM sites. For example, an anime review thread posted in "Just Anime" could appear in GB's "Off-Topic" if you chose and the replies would appear on both sites. Or a Screened "General Discussion" thread about this summer's blockbusters could also be read in the "Off-Topic" of Comic Vine and GB. This wouldn't happen automatically, but when you post, you'd be asked if you wish to also post it on another WM site. The biggest downside to this idea however is that it could create a lot of clutter and congestion. Plus, I know that some WM moderators are more lenient with rules than others and anything one site finds intolerable another might excuse. I'm not sure how closing a thread would work if it appeared first on another site. Well, maybe it's all just a bad idea to begin with, still some sort of cross site access/control would be nice.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Tireyo

@PenguinDust said:

Nah, that would be chaos, but it would be nice if you had the option to link "Off-Topic" threads across other WM sites. For example, an anime review thread posted in "Just Anime" could appear in GB's "Off-Topic" if you chose and the replies would appear on both sites. Or a Screened "General Discussion" thread about this summer's blockbusters could also be read in the "Off-Topic" of Comic Vine and GB. This wouldn't happen automatically, but when you post, you'd be asked if you wish to also post it on another WM site. The biggest downside to this idea however is that it could create a lot of clutter and congestion. Plus, I know that some WM moderators are more lenient with rules than others and anything one site finds intolerable another might excuse. I'm not sure how closing a thread would work if it appeared first on another site. Well, maybe it's all just a bad idea to begin with, still some sort of cross site access/control would be nice.

I was thinking that there wouldn't be such thing as a general discussion forum, so again it would be categorized into games, anime, etc. The cross site access is a neat idea, just something to make it easier to get to the other sites you know!

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Spoonman671

Eff that noise.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I don't know if that would be the best idea.........I don't know what else it would do besides generate chaos. It might also bring some users that a lot of us would rather leave in other sites.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#17  Edited By Legend

This is like the worst idea ever!

mscupcakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By mscupcakes

I'd like to see my forum posts and wiki points persist through the other sites.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Gargantuan

Combining the sites is a horrible idea.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I'll say yes just to make you feel better :3

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Tireyo

@FancySoapsMan said:

I'll say yes just to make you feel better :3

Lol. You don't have to do that! Not all ideas are good ideas.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Azteck

Can't see that being a good idea

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By Ben_H

No we don't need to get the Anime VIce community and all the versus threads that are associated with them mixed with the rest of the Whiskey sites.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By penguindust

@Tireyo643: Another problem I would be worried about is how the communities would merge. Even though each site has a lot of crossover with its memberships, the communities that have evolved from each individual site have their differences. The mood at Tested is different than that at Comic Vine and there is certainly a disparity between Anime Vice and Giant Bomb. Forcing all these divergent groups to merge would likely fracture the whole thing and cause an exodus as hinted at above. Why invite conflict?

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BrockNRolla

Sweet zombie jesus no. The difference in quality between this site and the others is drastic. I don't mean the others don't produce decent content at times, but the talent need not be heavily mixed nor the content stumbling over the other content. Let the other sites live and die on their own merits and allow them to be associated. But don't put them together.

TheKramer89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheKramer89

I feel like tested and giantbomb could probably be merged, as could anime vice and comic vine.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By Phatmac

They should probably cut Animevice and Comicvine.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By 49th

Fuck no. I didn't even read your post.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#29  Edited By Lazyaza

No, that is the worst idea ever. The reason all these sites are so great is because they are dedicated to single things. It makes for a better, sleeker, more organized and overall more satisfying and useful way to browse the content and services they offer. They are already linked in such a way that anyone who wants to experience the specific things they offer can and likewise avoid the things they don't want.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#30  Edited By Dagbiker

I think the wiki points need to merge, and also the Images need to upload cross website, but other then that no.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Tireyo

@PenguinDust said:

@Tireyo643: Another problem I would be worried about is how the communities would merge. Even though each site has a lot of crossover with its memberships, the communities that have evolved from each individual site have their differences. The mood at Tested is different than that at Comic Vine and there is certainly a disparity between Anime Vice and Giant Bomb. Forcing all these divergent groups to merge would likely fracture the whole thing and cause an exodus as hinted at above. Why invite conflict?

Yeah I see your point. ^_^ Probably isn't such a good idea.

If you were to click on a tab or something to get to the other site and automatically sign in, you think that would be alright? I don't particularly like the footer so much, but I would like to see the tab option at the top to make everything easier to get to. Everything remains the same, of course. That wouldn't be so bad.

pimpsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By pimpsandwich

That is an absolutely atrocious idea.

bananaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By bananaz

They should merge the forum accounts, maybe? But otherwise, they're already pretty close. I use the whiskey ads at the bottom to navigate between sites. If those links to other sites were more accessible, that would be fine with me. Making one site would be confusing and ridiculous. Actually, it would be like the structure of N4G, with tons of tabs to filter through mountains of content. So it would be a terrible thing.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Aronman789

Fuck that, not only would it be a giant clusterfuck for everyone involved, but bugger me if battle threads start popping up on here.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#35  Edited By Dagbiker

I see where your coming from, wanting it to be easier to get into the other sites. I like the footer but what i end up doing is reloading the page if Tested, for example, isn't there.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By bybeach

The only problem w/the way they have it now is that the other sites tend to get shorter thrift. I am not interested in the particulars of why, because I think more traffic would become diverse if ppl saw right off the bat what Tested was doing, Comic Vine, Screened Anime Vice etc. And just to say it, do not rule out Anime Vice, right now they are running a good center draw on a Akira re-do. Always seems one thing interesting at Anime Vice, even if a tongue(or something) in cheek examination of misogynisn (if that is a word) 

Sooooo, perhaps an entry page of who is doing what, maybe the main offerings or last 5 offerings of each site, and then a one click scoot to the sole dedicated site you want to be at. Probably not liked here, but just a thought. 

also, I like Whiskey Media.com as a name, it works as far as a name goes.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By Winternet

What? Why would anyone want that?

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Tireyo

@BraveToaster said:

No, and what the fuck are electronic devises?

LOLOLOLOL. It's that battery powered dildo that you have in your pants. JUST JOKING!

Seriously, stuff like phones, computers, and whatnot that is on Tested. That is the craziest question I've ever seen.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By Winternet

@Tireyo643 said:

@BraveToaster said:

LOLOLOLOL. It's that battery powered dildo that you have in your pants. JUST JOKING!

Seriously, stuff like phones, computers, and whatnot that is on Tested. That is the craziest question I've ever seen.

Maybe because it's devices and not devises.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Tireyo

@Winternet said:

@Tireyo643 said:

@BraveToaster said:

Maybe because it's devices and not devises.

OH SHIT! You're right!! TYPO!! My bad. =-P

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By lego_my_eggo

I think the sites should remain independent, but with links in the wiki's, videos and sometimes news articles on the front page from the other sites if it is relevant to that site. If i search for spiderman here i obviously want information about him for games, but i may want to know that there is a wiki on Screened and Comic Vine that i can look up more info on him. And there are times when Tested will take apart a console or post a news story about the specs of a console that wouldn't be out of place on Giant Bomb. And videos like 3-min expert from Comic Vine could show up on Screened when there is a movie being released based on that character. But they would have to be smart about it, because the way IGN does it annoys me.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#43  Edited By AngelN7

The amount of animosity between Giantbomb and... almost all the sites makes this a bad idea, I remember serveral threads regarding the content or the way forums work on Comic Vine and Anime Vice that didn't end up well.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Mister_V

Terrible idea.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MikeGosot

Merge them? No. But i would like a better way to move between the sites. The "Whiskey media" thing at the bottom is a little ugly.

dbol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By dbol

@Hizang: Why do you feel the need to apologize for your opinion?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By toowalrus

...I suppose there's not much more to say here. I was gonna form a giant quote pyramid of all these "no's", but meh, too much work.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Karl_Boss

No that would be a jumbled mess.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By mandude

Giantbomb forums alone are hard enough to keep up with.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#50  Edited By Slag

@Lego_My_Eggo said:

I think the sites should remain independent, but with links in the wiki's, videos and sometimes news articles on the front page from the other sites if it is relevant to that site. If i search for spiderman here i obviously want information about him for games, but i may want to know that there is a wiki on Screened and Comic Vine that i can look up more info on him. And there are times when Tested will take apart a console or post a news story about the specs of a console that wouldn't be out of place on Giant Bomb. And videos like 3-min expert from Comic Vine could show up on Screened when there is a movie being released based on that character. But they would have to be smart about it, because the way IGN does it annoys me.

I could see some value for the wikis to be thethered more closely together. For example things like spiderman as you mentioned.

Maybe a tab at the top of wiki page to allow you to switch between wiki pages that have multiple listings? dunno, I imagine it would be really difficult to design.

the rest of the various sites I see no value in merging. Probably better advertsining to have them individually branded. E.g. if I'm some random surfer on the internets looking for comic book info I'm much more likely to find comic vine than I am to look at some massive Whiskey media site.