Do you think that every individual should have the right to own a gun to protect themselves?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#151  Edited By FluxWaveZ

No.  Replace those guns with swords and with obligatory training to everyone who wants to learn how to wield 'em and then we're talking.

Liminality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#152  Edited By Liminality

No...

TenaciousE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153  Edited By TenaciousE
@sdauz said:
" when ppl have guns, ppl use guns, Australia has tight gun controls...why do u think we have less gun violence than the US? Only 5% of Australians own guns, most of them are farmers and ppl in rural areas. Im not saying Australia is perfect but widespread gun ownership (20% and above) in society can only lead to two things crime and death. "
Canada has lots of guns, I think the problem in the U.S. is the violent criminal to nice, everyday person ratio. And the cause of that would be how parent raise their children, I myself have seen kids who are violent criminals because they were raised basically to be.
TenaciousE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By TenaciousE
@DuhQbnSiLo said:
" I say go all the way or don't do it all, America has so much crime because theres so many guns just laying around the country "
the crime is from how parent raise their children.
Liminality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By Liminality

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By ryanwho
@JokerSmilez said:

" Well, America has twice as many guns per person as any other county. They also have 4 times more handgun murders per 100,000 people than any other country. So, population size doesn't mean shit in this argument.  The argument of "criminals will still get guns, no matter what": You know where Canadian criminals get their guns? America. Because they're easily accessible there. If they weren't easily accessible, gun crime drops WAY off. That's a fact. Not to mention the number of accidental deaths and death resulting from gun-fueled escalation(a fist fight in a bar turns into someone getting shot, a depressed person turns into a successful suicide).  The argument of "if the criminals are armed, I better be too"? Do you remember the Cold War? The arms race? You win by having more resources and will then the other guy. Who do you think is going to win that battle? You, a presumably law-abiding citizen, or a criminal, who presumably acquired for the purpose of committing a crime with it and is probably more willing to use it against you than the other way around.   Gun ownership to stave off an oppressive government? Are you kidding me? What is this, the 1700s? And I assume you believe America could win against the People's Liberation Army of China, with over 7 million available troops? Trained troops? How do you think a rise up against a government would go? Against over 3 million highly trained, heavily armed forces against whatever tiny number of citizens decided to actually try and "rise up". Also, how many wars have you waged to prove the superiority of democracy over something like, communism? But at the same time you need to arm yourself in case the government turns on you?  The government shouldn't have the right to tell you what you can and can't own? Have you ever heard of the Social Contact? The idea that in order to take party in society and it's privileges (like public education), you need to give up certain individual rights (like private ownership of an AK-47, perhaps)? "

Nothing in your little rant covers the guns that have already been circulated. Find a solution there before framing individual liberties as quaint artifacts. You may think the peasants can't handle themselves and need the government to take away their toys before they choke on them, like in the UK with more big brother cams than any other country other than China and Russia (lovely company to keep) but if you ban guns in a country where guns are already installed you'll see how wrong you are. Find me a bloodless way to take every gun out of America and then you can continue making it sound like its the common sense thing to do.  
Just because you've acclimated to giving up your privacy and freedom for security and are fine with it doesn't mean every country is willing to bend over so easy. 
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#157  Edited By oldschool
@Whisperkill said:
" @Gruff182: Well, the other responses show that there actually is a reason behind it. 

@oldschool said:
" Criminals with guns are most likely to kill other criminals with guns, not your average citizen.  Average citizens with guns are more likely to shoot a family member/friend than they are to shoot a criminal.  It is easy.  You ban the ownership of guns.  Then you allow the police to do metal detector searches, randomly of people, and remove their guns.  Finally, you allow the search of any property the police suspect guns are being stored.  Over a reasonably short period of time, extremely few guns.  However, in a country with a political system as horribly corrupt as America, far worse than most Middle East or African countries, then you will never get change.  In the end, we of the rest of the world shouldn't really care that Americans have so many guns in the hands of citizens.  After all, they are only killing other Americans.  Sorry for the rudeness of that, but it is hard to care about a country so arrogant about its individual rights.  Sometimes the collective is more important than the individual. "
Oh so now America's political system is more corrupt than those in the Middle East or Africa.   Yeah, I don't even think I need to express how naive that statement is. "
If you think that American government is anything but corrupt, then you are seriously naive.  American democracy is an absolute sham and the only real way to get into power is to buy it.  Just because you get to vote for 2 choices, doesn't mean you have democracy, especially when you look how those 2 choices act.  Russian democracy is no worse and Russian democracy is pretty ordinary.  As long as you have big business, especially business involved in killing as the main power in government, America will always be the opposite of what democracy looks like.  When your democracy resembles countries like England, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and pretty much all of the EU countries, then we can talk about democracy.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By ryanwho
@oldschool said:

" @Whisperkill said:

" @Gruff182: Well, the other responses show that there actually is a reason behind it. 

@oldschool said:
" Criminals with guns are most likely to kill other criminals with guns, not your average citizen.  Average citizens with guns are more likely to shoot a family member/friend than they are to shoot a criminal.  It is easy.  You ban the ownership of guns.  Then you allow the police to do metal detector searches, randomly of people, and remove their guns.  Finally, you allow the search of any property the police suspect guns are being stored.  Over a reasonably short period of time, extremely few guns.  However, in a country with a political system as horribly corrupt as America, far worse than most Middle East or African countries, then you will never get change.  In the end, we of the rest of the world shouldn't really care that Americans have so many guns in the hands of citizens.  After all, they are only killing other Americans.  Sorry for the rudeness of that, but it is hard to care about a country so arrogant about its individual rights.  Sometimes the collective is more important than the individual. "
Oh so now America's political system is more corrupt than those in the Middle East or Africa.   Yeah, I don't even think I need to express how naive that statement is. "
If you think that American government is anything but corrupt, then you are seriously naive.  American democracy is an absolute sham and the only real way to get into power is to buy it.  Just because you get to vote for 2 choices, doesn't mean you have democracy, especially when you look how those 2 choices act.  Russian democracy is no worse and Russian democracy is pretty ordinary.  As long as you have big business, especially business involved in killing as the main power in government, America will always be the opposite of what democracy looks like.  When your democracy resembles countries like England, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and pretty much all of the EU countries, then we can talk about democracy. "
Hah. Talk about naive. You really want to extoll the virtues of parliament over congress right after their big scandal? You really want to pretend what works in countries with small portions of the US's population works everywhere? Hell, communism works in Cuba. Most things that work on paper can work in a small enough community.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By oldschool
@ryanwho said:

" @oldschool said:

" @Whisperkill said:

@oldschool

said:
If you think that American government is anything but corrupt, then you are seriously naive.  American democracy is an absolute sham and the only real way to get into power is to buy it.  Just because you get to vote for 2 choices, doesn't mean you have democracy, especially when you look how those 2 choices act.  Russian democracy is no worse and Russian democracy is pretty ordinary.  As long as you have big business, especially business involved in killing as the main power in government, America will always be the opposite of what democracy looks like.  When your democracy resembles countries like England, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and pretty much all of the EU countries, then we can talk about democracy. "
Hah. Talk about naive. You really want to extoll the virtues of parliament over congress right after their big scandal? You really want to pretend what works in countries with small portions of the US's population works everywhere? Hell, communism works in Cuba. Most things that work on paper can work in a small enough community. "
Yep that is right, we have to forgive America for being so corrupt, because it has 300+ million people.  They can't help themselves.  Perhaps if they kill enough of each other to reduce the population, then they can have a decent level of democracy?  India has a good democracy, not perfect as none are, but still good.  How many people live in India?  About 1000+ million (1 billion)?  Ah, what am I saying, people there are poor and working to make America some cheap stuff to buy, so it must be shit.
Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#160  Edited By Wolverine

I voted I don't know because personally guns don't appeal to me but I understand the reasons that people justify the right to own them.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#161  Edited By Brendan

The U.S. is in a weird place to me on this issue.  Most people in most countries around the world live their lives perfectly fine without owning an armory "to protect themselves".  From...the streetgangs, or that guy that might break into your house at night and try to murder you, but you having that gun will totally save you there, since you'll keep it right under your pillow. 
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By ryanwho
@oldschool said:

" @ryanwho said:

" @oldschool said:

" @Whisperkill said:

@oldschool

said:
Hah. Talk about naive. You really want to extoll the virtues of parliament over congress right after their big scandal? You really want to pretend what works in countries with small portions of the US's population works everywhere? Hell, communism works in Cuba. Most things that work on paper can work in a small enough community. "
Yep that is right, we have to forgive America for being so corrupt, because it has 300+ million people.  They can't help themselves.  Perhaps if they kill enough of each other to reduce the population, then they can have a decent level of democracy?  India has a good democracy, not perfect as none are, but still good.  How many people live in India?  About 1000+ million (1 billion)?  Ah, what am I saying, people there are poor and working to make America some cheap stuff to buy, so it must be shit. "
You're not so petty as to swim in hyperbole, alright. Clearly I didn't say that.  
But its naive to assume just because it works in Norway it works everywhere. We have more unemployed than Canada has people, so to presume any policy that flies in Canada will fly in the states, especially considering America is more heterogeneous, is silly. And anyone who thinks America should strive to be more like India should take a trip to India and really get some perspective. You say Americans have no reason to own guns, then cite several nanny states as goals to strive for. There's a contradiction in that.
Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#163  Edited By Whisperkill
@oldschool said:
" @Whisperkill said:

@oldschool said:
Well, from the beginning it seems you don't know anything about U.S. government. Your first mistake was calling it a Democracy. There are certainly more than 2 choices for an election. You seem to ignore all of Congress and the House. Then you have state and local governments. 
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By ryanwho

I think his point was it doesn't matter if you have all the representational positions in government if they're completely impotent. But that happens in every democracy. Obviously bigger countries have bigger governments so corruption happens on a larger scale. Then you have to ask for a solution. Maybe democracy, true democracy, can't work in such a divided state with so many culturally opposite people all vying for attention to their interests. Maybe our melting pot never really solutioned together, like water and vineger. Maybe 2 very distinct countries exist in America and maybe both would function better separately Or maybe the opposed interests pulling at each other are what keep us from sinking into the earth like Rome. Who knows.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#165  Edited By ViciousReiven

Everyone should have the right to own a gun, any kind of gun, and be able to use it in recreation as well as to protect themselves.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#166  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I have serveral guns, I think everyone should be able to own it if they are responsible with it.

muttjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By muttjones

No.  
The lack of guns means the lack of possible gun crimes. 
Don't need to defend yourself from an armed burglar if they aren't armed. 

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By Binman88

No I don't, but I have no intention of arguing my point because this discussion never goes anywhere good. 

I'll just calmly exit the thread :)

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By oldschool
@ryanwho said:

" You're not so petty as to swim in hyperbole, alright. Clearly I didn't say that.  But its naive to assume just because it works in Norway it works everywhere. We have more unemployed than Canada has people, so to presume any policy that flies in Canada will fly in the states, especially considering America is more heterogeneous, is silly. And anyone who thinks America should strive to be more like India should take a trip to India and really get some perspective. You say Americans have no reason to own guns, then cite several nanny states as goals to strive for. There's a contradiction in that. "

@Whisperkill said:

" Well, from the beginning it seems you don't know anything about U.S. government. Your first mistake was calling it a Democracy. There are certainly more than 2 choices for an election. You seem to ignore all of Congress and the House. Then you have state and local governments.  "

@ryanwho said:

" I think his point was it doesn't matter if you have all the representational positions in government if they're completely impotent. But that happens in every democracy. Obviously bigger countries have bigger governments so corruption happens on a larger scale. Then you have to ask for a solution. Maybe democracy, true democracy, can't work in such a divided state with so many culturally opposite people all vying for attention to their interests. Maybe our melting pot never really solutioned together, like water and vineger. Maybe 2 very distinct countries exist in America and maybe both would function better separately Or maybe the opposed interests pulling at each other are what keep us from sinking into the earth like Rome. Who knows. "

I didn't say America (as a single defining entity) should strive to be like India.  I am nor fan of India's caste system and find it personally distasteful.  I am talking politics and no matter what is said, it is very easy to take a tangent far removed form the point at hand.  My other point is that just because of the size of a country is in play is a poor excuse to throw our hands up and give up hope of being better.  I'll take American politics over Chinese ones any day.  If we are talking outcome, then of course I am going to choose America as at least, in any reasonable way, most people still have choice in their lives. 

As for knowledge of American politics, like much of the rest of the world, I am well versed, hey, I watched West Wing (that is a joke btw).  I am aware of all the different levels of government it has and how they work and interact.  I am not talking about those levels of government, I am talking federal specific.  We have a similar system in Australia, in that we have an Upper and Lower house of parliament and the Upper (your Congress) it the house of scrutiny and passes or defeats bills.  Again, I am talking generalities as to talk specifics would be an endless discussion, which is used successfully to deflect criticism of a system that is corrupt and in need of dismantling. 

True change can never occur until an overwhelming will of the people make it so.  So it is pointless to try and change America, as it is too distracted by shiny stuff to care and is easily influenced (like the rest of the world) to a slick scare campaign to effect compliance to the status quo.  America is on a course to self destruction and many well educated academics agree.  It is interesting that you mention Rome, as American is simply another empire in a long history of empires.  Like all empires, eventually they collapse and descend into anarchy under the weight of their corruption.  None of us will see that collapse as empires are not viewed through a single generation and can last several generations, but if the "people" believe that owning guns will protect them from a corrupt government, that are sorely mistaken.  Like liberties lost under Bush, a future government will use an opportunity to entrench its power and with the might of a major, compliant Army, will enforce its will on the people and it will be bloody.  If only America could change its course to a more caring system, like Canada, then there would be hope.  However, the course seems irreversible and doomed.  Guns are central to core of what is wrong with America and this "entitlement" only feeds the violence. 

And no, I don't believe every gun owner is inherently evil or remotely stupid - they aren't.  They are misguided and indoctrinated. 
webby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By webby

Oh no, don't take away all guns to improve protection instead why not give them all guns. Hell might as well give them nukes to protect their land while were at it. 

Well ok. Knife crimes could still exist. But if your gonna get knifed chances are you won't have a chance to pull out a gun and shoot them.

Mysterysheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By Mysterysheep
@emkeighcameron said:
" Absolutely.  My family and I own more than 10 firearms, including pistols, rifles, carbines, and shotguns.    But oh no, the statistics say we must be violent criminals because we own guns. Crap.  "
10! Really? One I can understand but ten?! Your more readily armed than a US marine. 

That being said I don't think I deserve to have much of an opinion on this topic as I live in Ireland. Here we settle disputes by getting pissed and fighting bare-fisted. I still find this aspect of the US completely bizarre though. 
OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#172  Edited By OmegaPirate
@Webby said:
" Oh no, don't take away all guns to improve protection instead why not give them all guns. Hell might as well give them nukes to protect their land while were at it.   Well ok. Knife crimes could still exist. But if your gonna get knifed chances are you won't have a chance to pull out a gun and shoot them. "
Especially if they are using commando pro
rateoforange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#173  Edited By rateoforange

Of course. I think gun ownership goes further than defending oneself against criminals, although that can be useful if you live in an especially crime-prone area. An unarmed populace is just cattle to criminals and governments alike, and are treated exactly like cattle when push comes to shove. Americans own guns for greater philosophical reasons than just self defense.

I wouldn't expect a European (who isn't from Switzerland) to really get this.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#174  Edited By Fallen189

No, but I live in the UK.

shadowblazer19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By shadowblazer19
@Najaf said:
" @sdauz said:

" when ppl have guns, ppl use guns, Australia has tight gun controls...why do u think we have less gun violence than the US? Only 5% of Australians own guns, most of them are farmers and ppl in rural areas. Im not saying Australia is perfect but widespread gun ownership (20% and above) in society can only lead to two things crime and death. "

What you say is true. Where there are minimal firearms, there is minimal gun crime. Japan and Germany have largely proved this as well. Why is it that they have no firearms you ask? Because they both lost wars are were forced to surrender them. There are extremely tight gun control laws in both of those countries. And, due to the fact that they surrendered their privately owned arms following the wars and the tight control on importation since that time, there are no longer weapons readily available for criminals to use. This is common sense.  The United States however has more than 100 million privately owned arms and consumes more than 7 billion rounds of ammunition annually. This is a gun culture. There is no amount of restriction or law beyond a mandatory surrender of arms (which would not go well for its enforcers) that will effectively curb gun crime. There are simply too many and too readily available.  While both Japan and Germany, and as you claim Australia, enjoy low gun crime rates, you also do not enjoy the power of the people that the United States does. While not armed nearly as well as a modern military, the people of this nation do pose a potential threat to an abusive government.  The bottom line is that those who rely on the government for protection and are willing to surrender their right to bear arms are relying upon the good nature of their leaders. Sure, you might trust the government to do the right thing now and maybe even in thirty years. It is not about that. It is about protecting future generations from the many horrific scenarios we have bore witness to in history where governments abuse their populace.  "
You mean how the politicians are taking your money and giving it to 'too big to fail' banks?  
Maybe taking important facts out of the textbooks and denying children the truth of history and real education?
Or spending your hard earned money they get through ridiculous taxes to spend on bases overseas and wars that have nothing to do with them? Spending 1 trillion dollars a year on military expenses is too much for any country.
Politicians are not allowing the fee market to run it's course, adding to the debt and giving companies that should have failed billions of dollars to use and where does it go? Bonuses and bad investments. At the current rate the dollar will fail and a recession will return much worse than the one we had/are all ready in.

Just be careful. Watch politicians for what they do not what they say. Hardly any represent their people but their own self interests and this is true with  BOTH parties. I'm so sick of this blind omg the republicans are the best anything they say is right and people are like this on the other side to. Once again watch your representatives for what they DO not what they SAY because these people most of the time are smooth talkers. It's people's ignorance that allowed things to go this far.
  By the way don't be worried about socialism/communism in the US  look out for Facism. 

I don't see anyone using their right to bear arms to change the government.
spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By spaceturtle
@Atlantus_Air said:
" @Alex_Murphy said:
"Absolutely. I'll even go one step further and say that when you turn 25 the government should issue you a gun. "
This is the most patriotic thing I've heard all year. Applause to you, sir. "
Uhmm... You are gonna have to explain to me how the hell that has anything to do with patrioism.
sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#177  Edited By sopranosfan
@Fallen189 said:
" No, but I live in the UK. "
Yeah, you people in the UK would LOVE it we would give up our guns wouldn't you.......this is all the reason we need to not give up our guns.
DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo
@TenaciousE said:
" @DuhQbnSiLo said:
" I say go all the way or don't do it all, America has so much crime because theres so many guns just laying around the country "
the crime is from how parent raise their children. "
For the most part yeah, but some parents don't teach about guns because they don't think they are a problem there kids can find. Its too easy for someone to get a gun.
damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#179  Edited By damnboyadvance

Yes, but with restrictions. First of all, certain weapons would be a no-no, which I would say would be things like assault rifles and any explosive weapons. (Obviously, throwing a grenade or launching a RPG would be a little unreasonable for self defense.) And second, you shouldn't have anything that has to do with violence on your criminal record, or at least not too much. I've been taught that people that have guns will use guns if the conditions are right. Just turn on the news.

It's a given right, at least here in the United States. People have the right to bear arms. And it's one that should be protected, too. Some people abuse that right, but others should have the right to protect themselves from people like that.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By Fallen189
@sopranosfan said:
" @Fallen189 said:
Yeah, you people in the UK would LOVE it we would give up our guns wouldn't you.......this is all the reason we need to not give up our guns. "
So I don't have to see another moral panic or school shooting? Yeah why not. I don't see the reason why you'd even carry something that could KILL someone.
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck guns, we all know real men use crossbows to hunt and defend themselves. 

User_Hostile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By User_Hostile
@jinxman said:
" @User_Hostile said:

" @jinxman said:

" @sdauz said:
you sir, are wrong  actual scientific studies show that countries with more widespread gun ownership actually have less violent crimes as compared to countries with less gun ownership.  BAM  "
Don't suppose you'd care to cite any actual, factual, peer-reviewed studies that draw that conclusion? Australia has a higher rate of violent crime than the U.S but there's absolutely NO evidence to suggest that higher gun ownership is the reason for the difference.  Cite some actual sources because I have no reason to believe you otherwise. "
http://www.americanexperiment.org/uploaded/files/aeqv2n2lott.pdf "
I asked for a PEER-REVIEWED source, not an opinion piece from a conservative publication that itself doesn't source any of its claims.  Again, please present some REAL evidence to support your claim.
Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By Skytylz

Sure, but with some restrictions

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By sopranosfan
@Fallen189 said:

" @sopranosfan said:

" @Fallen189 said:
Yeah, you people in the UK would LOVE it we would give up our guns wouldn't you.......this is all the reason we need to not give up our guns. "
So I don't have to see another moral panic or school shooting? Yeah why not. I don't see the reason why you'd even carry something that could KILL someone. "
It was a joke about the American Revolution and that if we gave up our guns we would be the colonies again.  Sorry it was a bad joke but I couldn't help myself.  

Honestly though as saturated as our country is with undocumented guns and our inability to stop drugs from coming into our country(don't think we will be more successful with guns) I don't think outlawing them would cut down gun crimes more than 10-15%.  But the sad part is 99.99% of gun owners don't cause any problem I live in a rural area and I know hundreds of people that own a gun and only use them for hunting or protection without any problem. 
Nonethewiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By Nonethewiser

to me gun ownership should be recreational. skit  shooting, hitting targets, hunting (animals).

Unfortunately if its legal to own a gun they will get misused. More unfortunately, if guns are illegal they will still be misused.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By Fallen189
@sopranosfan said:
" @Fallen189 said:
" @sopranosfan said:
" @Fallen189 said:
So I don't have to see another moral panic or school shooting? Yeah why not. I don't see the reason why you'd even carry something that could KILL someone. "
It was a joke about the American Revolution and that if we gave up our guns we would be the colonies again.  Sorry it was a bad joke but I couldn't help myself.    Honestly though as saturated as our country is with undocumented guns and our inability to stop drugs from coming into our country I don't think outlawing them would cut down gun crimes more than 10-15%.  But the sad part is 99.99% of gun owners don't cause any problem I live in a rural area and I know hundreds of people that own a gun and only use them for hunting or protection without any problem.  "
Yeah, it only takes that one madman to ruin it for everyone I guess. I just realised i'm pulling clays this weekend, oops.
spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#187  Edited By spazmaster666

I just realized I picked the wrong option (should have gone with C instead of A) but anyway, any person over the age of 18 and who has undergone proper training (i.e. a license) should be allowed to buy firearms for self defense purposes. Obviously those who are mentally unstable and/or people with a history of violent behavior probably shouldn't be packing but that's an exception, not the rule. Just because some people may use firearms irresponsibly (as this could apply to just about anything) doesn't mean everyone should be unable to have them. That's like saying just because some people drive recklessly that we should prevent citizens from buying cars (keeping in mind many more people die from car accidents than from gun related violence). I realize that bearing arms is a constitutional right and driving a car is just a privilege, but you get the idea.

CaptainMax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By CaptainMax

Woah, the leading answer is no with 50 percent. I didnt realize this site is populated by mostly douchebags.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By sopranosfan

@CaptainMax:   But if you add up the 2 yes choices it is a dead heat.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By alternate

Tsk.  You yanks and your guns.

Avatar image for turboninjapanda
TurboNinjaPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By TurboNinjaPanda

I'm liberal as fuck and I voted yes.  I bet those people who voted no would change their  tune if they were a victim of a home invasion.  The police are there to document crime, not prevent it.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#192  Edited By Rowr

You know they solved this in countries that arent the usa right? 

I mean if you let anybody have a gun, everybody needs one.

If you dont let just anybody have a gun, no-one needs them.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By Capum15

Start state/city/county Militias, everyone who turns 18 and is deemed "Adult enough" to join, joins. You'll still have jobs, but you'll also be in the Militia. They deal with local crime and the criminals. Gun safety training, other law enforcement-type training, then you can officially be part of the militia.

So...C, yes, but with restrictions. No felons who've killed or assaulted, or stolen property, etc etc.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#194  Edited By Video_Game_King

No, since there are definitely people who should never ever own a gun ever. You know, people who have a very good chance of harming themselves or others with their guns.....moreso than other people....reliably.

bombHills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By bombHills
@TurboNinjaPanda: So true.
Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#196  Edited By Whisperkill

Yes 

Let the idiots take each other out. Its natural selection at its finest.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By ryanwho
@Video_Game_King said:
" No, since there are definitely people who should never ever own a gun ever. You know, people who have a very good chance of harming themselves or others with their guns.....moreso than other people....reliably. "
Oh you mean like people who steal guns and/or acquired them illegally. Well no shit, crazy people shouldn't own guns. They also shouldn't own razors or scissors.
btman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By btman

voted for second yes only because it's impossible to get rid of all guns.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#199  Edited By Video_Game_King
@ryanwho: 

Actually, I was talking about crazy people and criminals. Oh, and kids, as I'm sick of seeing 3 year olds in Illinois getting gun permits. What the hell are they gonna use them for? "*points gun* I'M A BIG BOY, MOMMY!!!"
eskimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By eskimo
@jinxman: So why is it that in most countries with gun restrictions we see a far lower homicide rate per capita? It seems like a stupid comment from someone from a country with the highest levels of gun violence in the western world to advocate gun ownership.