Do you use a phone case?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8907c9ada33
deactivated-5f8907c9ada33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

This is something I’ve debated for ages. Using a phone case or going completely naked.

I feel like I’m somewhat of an odd ball when it comes to this but generally speaking I hate phone cases. They add bulk to phones that were designed to be thin, they also just don’t feel as nice as using your phone without one. On the other hand, most phones now are completely made out of glass and are more likely to break. Even though I never drop my phone, if I ever do, then I’ll have to shell out money for my iPhone repair even though I have AppleCare+.

I feel like these phone manufacturers spend a lot of time making phones sleek, thin and nice to use. So when you slap a case on it, it takes away from all of that. I’m going to guess I’m alone on this but I wanted to ask here what you guys think. Do you use a phone case? If so why or why not?

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

Reluctantly, yes.

My iPhone looks sleek as fuck without a case, and I never drop, scratch, or ding my devices.

BUT, I have kids and dogs. I hike and backpack. I go to club shows and get slammed around in the pit. I vacation with my phone.

You can get good cases cheap (my first case was an otterbox, but my latest was clearance for $2.99 and is a beast), and it just seems like a sensible insurance policy against the unexpected.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By cikame

My phone is a case.

No Caption Provided
frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By frytup

I'm clumsy. Metal and glass phones have little to no grip, so cases are a necessity for me.

I don't buy the bulky drop protection cases. Just something thin with texture I can hold onto and that keeps the phone relatively scratch-free. I'm not someone who gets off on how my phone looks when I'm using it, but I do like to keep it as nice as possible for resale value.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nutter: yeah that’s my problem. I’m always out and about, have a dog and go to the gym so it’s not ideal to have it without any protection. I have a Pela Case which isn’t super drop protective but it’s made from plants and does the job... but no case feels much nicer.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@haz: My current case is a Clayco. Never heard of them, but it was about $2-3. Looks like they normally run closer to $20. Very much a good enough case. Not too huge, but protection seems sound.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I would much prefer to use a phone without a case. But I've also dropped my share of phones and have been left picking up the metaphorical pieces with significant repair fees.

I stick with a case. Not because I want to, but because it seems like the smart thing to do.

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have like 6 cases and swap between them. Keeps things fresh and assuages some of that "new tech" desire that comes every time a new phone is released. I use my phone cases like outerwear accessories basically, like changing shoes or a hat. Mostly I like to go for ones with different textures.

yourbrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frytup said:

I'm clumsy. Metal and glass phones have little to no grip, so cases are a necessity for me.

I don't buy the bulky drop protection cases. Just something thin with texture I can hold onto and that keeps the phone relatively scratch-free. I'm not someone who gets off on how my phone looks when I'm using it, but I do like to keep it as nice as possible for resale value.

All of this exactly. Years ago I had an iPod (one of the ones with tiny screens) before I got a smart phone and learned within the first week that I should never carry small/slick tech without some sort of case.

I did pick a brightly colored case, just to help me find the dang thing. I have a lot of dark colored surfaces in my house and when I used a black case I was constantly forgetting where I put the phone down and spending 5+ minutes looking for it.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never, ever.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to not. But then I got a fairly thin nexus or moto x (might have been the glass backed one?) and it was just way too thin and I was afraid it would slip out of my hand. And phones just get thinner and thinner

So I have pretty cheap spigen (?) cases for my personal android and work iphone. They might absorb some shock if it lands on its edge and might protect the screen protector if it lands face down but that is really it. Mostly it is just so I have something to grip on to when I pull it out of my pocket a hundred times a day.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@haz: My phone lives life to the fullest.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I use a shell but not a screen protector. I have insurance for my phone but I figure I might as well try to not get it broken? As Gundato said, phones now almost feel too thin to have around if you're not using at least a little plastic on the outside.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ghost_cat

I used to go phone commando for many years until I experienced the feeling of accidentally cracking one open with no insurance. There is pain, and there is "a whole lot of money lost, along with my photos that I didn't back up" pain.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

No. Part of what I pay for is the design of the phone.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Tom_omb

I didn't use a case for years, I thought they were tacky and bulky. I've had the minimal case that came with my Note 5 for a few years now. It may have cost a few extra dollars, but I was convinced by the extra functionality of a windowed lock screen when the front flap was closed. I appreciate the grip, and it's not too bulky. Sometimes I take it out to appreciate the sleek design of the naked phone, but it feels as slippery as a bar of soap. I'm not sure if I would trust myself with a caseless phone again. I've dropped phones before, but never did any serious damage to them.

I hear there are custom grips you an apply to the back of your phone without adding bulk.

Domoreaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. I currently have an iPhone X and got the thinnest case I could find with one of those glass screen protectors. It’s rare that I ever drop a phone, but when I do, I’m glad I got the protection. It’s already saved my a couple times.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: yeah that’s true. I’m also finding that phones are just way too slippery to use without a case, like my iPhone literally slides off of everything when it’s not in a case.

Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can count the number of times my little flip case broke the fall of my phone, after getting caught or tangled in limbs or objects. Guaranteed cracks or dings otherwise.

Ascara89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, I'm pretty clumsy so a case is necessary, dropped my phone twice this week alone

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mellotronrules

absolutely- i think the design trend to wrap everything in glass is completely asinine. i understand it's good for signal, and sure it looks good in stock photos, but it presumes people never lose grip of their phone.

i typically buy a folio-style case as it protects the screen (without need of a screen protector) and cuts down on needless screen time. sure it might ruin the aesthetic charm of the phone- but then again, i think phone design is dreadfully boring anyway.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

I don't like having to use a case, and lived the no-case lifestyle up until my last phone, but I felt like I had to get a case for that one.

I have a case for my current phone too as these new designs, with the camera that isn't flush with the back, necessitates having a case. Without a case it doesn't sit flat and makes scratching sounds if you slide it across a surface. Not good.

Avatar image for deactivated-6373f6c34cbfb
deactivated-6373f6c34cbfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This last year was the first time I ever used a case, for the iPhone XS. I never cracked an iphone screen before, and felt perfectly fine with the 4, 5, 6, and 7 careless, but something about the iPhone X style makes me nervous. I'm also finding that I drop my phone more now that I have a case on it.

jazzyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know exactly what you mean. We should be using it as it was designed, without a case. But 2 or 3 phones ago that changed for me. For me it came down to resale/trade-in value. A small dent/chip on a corner has reduced the value of my phone from £150 to essentially nothing. Another time (back when you could) a DIY screen replacement job never was perfect and bugged the hell out of me.
My current phone has had a case since day one (now 2+ years) and I've just got used to it. On the few occasions I take it out it feels too light and wrong in my hand.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#26 chaser324  Moderator

I used a case for a few years early in my time with smart phones, but I got tired of dealing with the additional bulk of the case in my pockets.

Without a case, I do inevitably get some scratches and dings on my phone, but I thankfully have never suffered any severe damage like a shattered screen.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I have been going to a lot of conventions and expos. While its typically not hard to find and outlet, sometimes you need to be on the move and don't have time or the ability to hang-out at the back of a discussion panel.

I bought a 6500mAh, charging cattery case for my Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus. It nearly quadruped the amount of power I can use on my phone...and, yeah, triples the size. However, I can use my phone heavy all day and still have charge when I crawl up to the hotel suite 30 hrs later. Even better it protects the phone, makes ist grippy and easier to hold. You might think, "Dude, I don't I need quadruple the power!" However, it really is one of those "THANK GOODNESS" I have this when in a jam, stucks at na airport, or on the road with out cables.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jesus_Phish
@efesell said:

Never, ever.

I also never, ever use a cover. I have a metal backed phone but never found it slippery or difficult to hold. I go to club shows and the gym and generally don't try be precious of my phone but I've never damaged it, maybe a nick here or there but nothing extreme. Just don't put your phone in your back pocket or in a pocket or bag with keys works for me.

JerKnuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like using cases so I try to go as minimal as possible.

I always try to find a bumper case that just goes around the outer edge of the phone. Just enough for a little corner drop protection and a little lip for the front and back to slide on.

tophar01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have cracked my phone twice, both times when I decided to try and enjoy my phone without a case and ended up dropping it.

I also work in an industrial environment, I would maybe give it a try again if I worked in an office environment

Also, the Pixel 2 XL (the one I dropped twice) was very slippery,. Just got a 3 and it feels much more gripable, still put a case on it though.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've only broken my phone once in a very intentional act. Never needed a cover although phones are stupid big now.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cannot imagine paying anywhere from 300 to over 1000 dollars for a phone and then not wanting to put a case on it to protect it.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By Dave_Tacitus

Reluctant case user (but not screen protector) here, only because my phone's so slippery that it'd probably slide clean off Holland.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I have a clear case like the ones pictured. Done the job. I don't need one of those otterboxes or lifeproof cases as I am not a fan of the bulk, and honestly, don't use my phone where I am under severe conditions that one of those premium protection cases would be useful in.

These clear type ones have been good, and will keep using them. Sturdy and decent production.

No Caption Provided
FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

Yep, but it's a simple, thin black covering. I never understood how people could add huge ass covers to their phones. This thing has to fit in my pocket.

Capultro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes I have like 10 iPhone cases

Alias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, I dropped my phone, the protective case cracked leaving my phone unharmed and I never replaced it

fillyexpend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, I do have them and feel it as a necessity for me.

Spice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still rocking my G5S Plus without any covers. The metal back is scratched in places and my kids have dropped it more times than I can remember, but it's still going strong. I've never cracked a screen and I still don't understand how people do.

JoeDangerous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always said I'd buy a case if I ever dropped a phone or harmed one in some way. It's never happened so no need for a case. That's been the case (ha) over the last 11~ years.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Yeah, I have iPhone Pro Max Now. I switched from tech 21 to Incipio as of late, clear case. Real happy with that. Whenever Carved gets some cheaper all wood cases, I Might switch to that sometimes.

berfunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

No phone case for me.

I recently cracked my screen after 7 years with the same phone.

After shopping for a new phone, I decided instead to buy a replacement screen and repair my old phone.

Funny that. $500 for a new console and I don't bat an eye to buy it. $500 for a new phone? Fuck that shit.

colinstros55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Yeah because phones are a thousand bucks, and they usually cannot be repaired. Protect that shizz.

denisxcore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do use a case and I still managed to shatter the glass back of my 4 month old phone -_-

Xaopling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use a flip-cover, does that count?