• 57 results
Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By Ben_H

Switch majors to something not so dull. I was a math major for 2 years before getting fed up and switching to computer science.  Unless you are really dedicated and truly enjoy it, math does not get better, just way harder and way more boring. This year I actually had fun with school and my average is over 25% higher (I'm sitting with A's in all my classes right now) while last year math was just a chore. I pretended that I liked it and was good at it but I wasn't. Plus with my new major there are actual jobs to be had, unlike math where it will be way harder to find a job.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By wrighteous86

@Little_Socrates said:

Is it not common to change majors outside of the U.S.? First semester of second year seems like a pretty normal time most American students seem to really settle into their major to begin with.

From what I've heard from

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By NTM

I could be very wrong, but it seems to me that a lot of people that go to college get out and don't know what they want to do, and even when they do find something to do, it has little to nothing to do with what they went to college for, and then you add having to pay for student loans. It'd probably be a smarter choice to stick with it though. Hopefully (if you're not happy right now) you find something that will make you happy. Good luck!

@Tru3_Blu3 said:

from what I've heard being a plumber pays $100,000 a year. While it's surely unproductive and requires no creativity at all, it's a well paying job that the world needs. You can learn how to do construction and get a great job that pays $75,000 a year. You don't need college to live a comfortable life.

And this is actually very true.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@Zekhariah said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

There's no point in doing something you don't like doing. Even though it's always daunting not knowing what's next, I'd take it a thousand times more than deliberately making myself miserable because it's socially accepted.

I would disagree with this. Every job has its up and downs. And if you are part way there ensuring that you'll have something that pays decently is worth something. If the OP had some career they thought they would love, sure. But having a boring job and going skiing on the weekend beats the heck out of having a boring job and catching up on your TV during the weekend. Dropping out will not inherently put you in happy circumstances.

Switching to a different degree with a more varied class tract, as long as it makes use of previous math credits, would probably be the most viable if the current path is out. But with math the career path would probably be less paperwork intensive than engineering (where you get excited when you get to do math).

I absolutely agree, but it seems OP doesn't seem to have a good path that he likes after school. If he just didn't like his college, but had plans after school, I'd say sometimes you have to do things that suck. BUT, it seems he doesn't have any passion towards his entire goal, in that case, he's wasting his time doing something he hates for a long while.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#55  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Ravenlight said:

@CookieMonster said:

I'm studying maths

Well there's your problem. Maths is boring, but Math is where all the excitement happens. The S kills the party.

S never kills the party. Everybody wants sex, but nobody wants an ex.

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#56  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

Don't drop out. Having a degree will lead to a lot more available opportunities when you graduate.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad
deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

1. Change your major into something that you like but is heavy in math - if you're already good at it, you've already beaten 90% of other people.

2. Join a social club