Escalators: Stand or Walk?

• 102 results
isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 26

Poll Escalators: Stand or Walk? (337 votes)

Stand 36%
Walk 61%
What's an escalator? 3%

I almost always walk when using an escalator and very few things aggravate me as much as people who stand on the left side blocking my way. What's my hurry? Usually nothing, but I'd rather get a sliver of exercise and get to wherever I'm going faster than stare at the back of someones skull.

So what about all you duders, do you walk or stand?

• 
Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Naoiko

Depends on the situation. I mostly stand, but if its in a place that is SUPER crowded and most people are walking...then I walk as well. Also, its common sense that if your going to stand you stay to the right side.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

If you stand on an escalator you are a bad person.

officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Walk whenever possible. Same as with those moving walkway things you find at airports.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

perilator666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

stand left, walk right. it's universally known.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, what? Is this some sort of UK/Japan thing, correlating with the way traffic's organized, that I've not heard about?

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tend to walk. I also tend to take stairs if they are there and empty.

I will never forget my first school trip to London as a kid and having someone tell me to stop standing on the 'walk' side of the escalator.

perilator666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By perilator666

@isomeri: at least in denmark it's pretty much the norm. people don't always adhere to it, but that's what my kidney-stabbing knife is for.

edit: i don't actually have a kidney-stabbing knife.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By isomeri

@perilator666: I don't remember doing that in Denmark, so I've probably been in the way of someone. Apologies. But in Finland and pretty much every country I've been to people have stuck to the right side of the escalator and walked on the left side. Gosh, now I feel like I need a different poll entirely to settle this.

EDIT: Right I did some research, and according to the BBC at least the "walk on the left" method is more common globally, with Australia apparently being one of the exceptions.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ripelivejam

Until recently i didn't know of the "rule" to stand on the left and walk on the right, so w/e. I always walk but if there's someone standing in the way i don't raise a fuss.

Also: "Elevator is temporarily out of service. Escalators are temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience."

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When visiting new states or countries I watch what other people are doing and mimic them, by default everyone walks on the left here. I don't think its a universal thing though.

Moonshadow101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Moonshadow101

The vast majority of escalators that I've encountered only have one "lane" for each direction, so splitting it like that would rarely be applicable.

The answer to this is pretty simple: Do whatever everyone else is doing. Otherwise you're just being a jerk, whether you're blocking people who are trying to walk or pushing past people who are trying to stand. If you're alone, do whatever you want, because it literally doesn't matter at all.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There should always be a stand lane and a walk lane but I've seen some confusion about which is which. Might vary by culture.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The whole point of moving stairs is to do the moving for me

why am I on the escalator if I'm going to walk

SaltyKind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since when is there a 'walk' and 'stand' side of an escalator? It's barely wide enough to hold two people side to side (at least the ones I'm use to). Also, it takes just shy of 15 seconds to reach the top. Learn some freaking patience...

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Escalators are the only thing in the world that give me vertigo. Even thinking about them makes my palms sweat. I still like them, and usually go out of my way to use them when given the option, and I walk despite that being even worse for the gut sinking feeling they give me. I've never been on an escalator so crowded that there was a problem. Usually if somebody is already on the escalator I let them dictate how I use it. I don't walk up behind somebody riding the escalator and tap my foot because I'm not socially broken.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I prefer to sit.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kiibee: I'm holding in the temptation to make some sort of "fat Americans" joke. Granted I have seen some ridiculously narrow escalators, but most of them are perfectly wide enough for two lanes.

saladbone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was super excited about the escalator etiquette upon visiting London where it seemed as though everyone adhered to the "stand on one side, walk on the other" rule. Though I do not remember which side was which, for a brief moment I felt as though we as humans were on the same team! Until of course, I returned to America, where the obliviousness of the common man is quite astounding. The escalator (and moving sidewalk) situation is a chaos-ridden mess of inconsiderate oafs who stare either at their phones or at the ceiling while remaining sedentary on both sides of the path. Leaving those in a hurry the herculean task of weaving through this Aggro-Crag of mouthbreathers. Toppling suitcases and elbowing toddlers on the way to their destination. Is the escalator etiquette just a Europe-thing?

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

@isomeri said:
@perilator666 said:

Wait, what? Is this some sort of UK/Japan thing, correlating with the way traffic's organized, that I've not heard about?

In the UK, on London Underground, we often have instructions spaced at regular intervals to help us remember that we are not part of the universe:

No Caption Provided

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kiibee said:

Since when is there a 'walk' and 'stand' side of an escalator? It's barely wide enough to hold two people side to side (at least the ones I'm use to). Also, it takes just shy of 15 seconds to reach the top. Learn some freaking patience...

When walking those 15 seconds could get you on to an earlier train, you bet I'm gonna walk!

But if you're in a shopping center or something then yeah, no need to rush.

SaltyKind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paulmako said:

@kiibee said:

When walking those 15 seconds could get you on to an earlier train, you bet I'm gonna walk!

But if you're in a shopping center or something then yeah, no need to rush.

That makes sense. I don't really have much experience with escalators outside of sears, JCPenny, or something similar. I can see train stations, airports, and etc. making a point of it, though.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I always walk and if there are stairs nearby I just take them (usually running at that.) I'm impatient and also can't stand to get stuck behind people just messing around/being ignorant of others and I like the cardio.

Wraithtek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

Stand. Believe me, I'm all for not obstructing the flow of foot traffic. (I'm talking to you, people walking three abreast down the sidewalk. And to you, group of people stopping for a chat right inside the big box store entrance.)

I'm not trying to hold you up, but when I'm on an escalator, I'll stand if I feel like it. Chances are, if I'm on an escalator, I'm not in a hurry. I'm not on my way to or from work, or squeezing in errands at the end of the day. I'm probably on vacation, or just out enjoying my weekend.

If you're looking for exercise, there are probably stairs there, right next to the escalator. If you're in a hurry, and the escalator doesn't have a clear path on the left, then either ask politely or just accept that this will cost you an extra, what, 10 seconds? If I've somehow forgotten to stand to the right, I will absolutely move over when asked.

Wraithtek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

@cale said:

Why would I walk when it moves me for free. That's my motto.

So basically, "Why walk when you can ride?"

MalibuProfen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would actually be (slightly) interesting to find out what sort of an escalator culture is in each country of the world - or even including local variance - for standing and walking on escalators in the form of an actual scientific study, if one has not been already made.

As isomeri pointed out, in Finland people stand on the right side and walk/bypass on the left. It's rare to see someone not adhering to this unspoken rule in this country, or at least its metropolitan area. It's curious how Denmark would be the other way around since the traffic system should be mostly the same in terms of vehicles at least. Perhaps bipedal humans not so much?

As to the topic question itself, the short answer is: depends. If I'm in a hurry, feeling lively and/or in need of a slight rise of my pulse, I'll walk the steps. On the other hand, if I'm exhausted and/or carrying something (heavy) in my hands, I will stand patiently.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this stand on the right walk on the left shit doesnt work for most esclators I know. not wide enough.

whoever invented the escalator must have been so pissed to see people standing on them.

perilator666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

standing on the right sounds insane to me. it's like if i'm walking on the sidewalk and someone is coming the other way i always stay on the right. don't you also overtake cars on the right? (i don't drive so i wouldn't know, but i believe that's what i've observed.)

maybe it's just how my brain works.

rabincrabmink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

In DC we have signs on the trains like this.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By isomeri

@perilator666 said:

standing on the right sounds insane to me. it's like if i'm walking on the sidewalk and someone is coming the other way i always stay on the right. don't you also overtake cars on the right? (i don't drive so i wouldn't know, but i believe that's what i've observed.)

maybe it's just how my brain works.

Yes, you walk on the right side of the sidewalk because the left side is for people who are walking faster than you or walking the other way. Then again bike lanes are usually painted on the right side of the sidewalk, which then actually splits the sidewalk into four lanes (one each way for pedestrians and bikes). Cars certainly don't overtake on the right, except for in the UK, Japan and a couple other examples I can't think of right now.

I use the metro pretty much daily, often multiple times a day. Even if someone standing on the left side only costs me 10-15 seconds, it grows really annoying in high frequencies. Consider, what if every time you got in your car to go somewhere, a random person just stood in front of your car for 10 seconds before you could get a move on. Luckily, as @malibuprofen said, most people adhere to The Unspoken Rules of the Escalator quite well. If they don't I make sure to give them a little tap on the shoulder and excuse my way through.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

All the escalators I've ever been on have not been wide enough for more than one person, and generally even have a sign that says something like 'only one person per step.'

Also, everybody stands. I'd say I've seen maybe 5-10% of people in total walking on escalators.

betaband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whatever you do, just do it on the the right so people can pass you on the left if they need to.

dr_monocle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

THESE MOVING STAIRS AREN'T GETTING ME THERE FAST ENOUGH! I HAVE TO GO AT A SLIGHTLY FASTER RATE!

Stand. Life isn't going to burn down around you. Relax a bit.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I normally walk, but I don't care if people in front of me don't. If I were in a hurry I would have left earlier for wherever I have to be. If you can't take stop walking for a minute, you're living way too intense for me.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By alwaysbebombing

People who stand are total dicks. If you really can't use stairs, use an elevator.

I've got a connecting flight to make

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#40  Edited By Justin258

I can't recall seeing any escalators big enough for someone to stand on the right while someone else walks hurriedly up the left. Even in movies, when someone's running up the escalator, it seems like the person running has to shove people aside and squeeze through.

I've also never heard this "stand on the right, walk up the left" thing. Maybe it's a big city kind of thing? I don't live in a sparse, rural area but it's certainly not a very crowded place (think Inaba from Persona 4) and the biggest city I've been to is Charlotte, NC. Sometimes people walk up escalators, but that has always seemed rude in general.

Anyway, now that I know I guess I'll try to make it a habit in case I ever go somewhere where this is a thing.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#41 49th  Online

Depends on if I am in a rush or not. I'm often late so I almost always walk/jog on the escalator but on the way home I take it easy and stand. There is nothing more annoying than someone standing on the wrong side though, I want to spartan kick them down the escalator when that happens.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Osaladin

Stand, if you're getting your exercise from the super short bursts of walking up an assisted staircase, then maybe you check recheck your priorities. Or you know, just take the stairs.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By isomeri

@osaladin said:

Stand, if you're getting your exercise from the super short bursts of walking up an assisted staircase, then maybe you check recheck your priorities. Or you now, just take the stairs.

It's not so much for the benefits of exercise, but for the feeling of stretching your legs a bit. My work commute involves a mix of metro and bus travel where I'm usually just standing or sitting for long periods of time. It's nice to get a bit of blood flowing in between. Also there are usually no stairs to the metro platform, just escalators and elevators. The same goes for shopping centers around here.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless there is someone behind me, I always stand. If I'm in a rush, I take the stairs.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By AlexW00d

@kiibee said:

A lot of it comes from escalators to undergrounds/metros when the journey is very much not 15 seconds long. Also lol that America, I assume, does everything huge apart from apparently escalators.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neither. Wheelchairs don't go up escalators so well.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By cloudymusic

I've gone my whole life assuming that if you're in that much of a hurry and don't want to wait for other people, you should take the stairs. The escalator may have people on it that have some sort of disability, or otherwise can't move as quickly as you. Getting indignant when they can't seems rude at best and ridiculously entitled at worst.

This obviously doesn't apply in situations where the escalator is literally the only option available, but even then, I think people should be a little more patient and understanding of others in general.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stand unless I have to get somewhere. I used to be shit-scared of escalators that went down. That first step came with some serious dread. Stairs are usually quicker anyway. I think I only give escalators the time of day if there's no stairs nearby or if I'm in a Metro station.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Obviously if there are people standing in front of you, then you stand. If not, then whatever. I tend to walk, just because it feels cool.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I usually just take the stairs because in 'merica nobody seems to understand the left/right rule.