For what reason did you come to Giant Bomb?

Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 28

#151  Edited By Bowl-of-Lentils

I would occasionally check out Giantbomb but I became a fan of the site because of the Persona 4 Endurance Run and the Bombcast. However I didn't join the forums until I submitted a video to The Question of the Week in 2010 and I've been here every since.

terach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I stumbled upon Giant Bomb during their 2012 GOTY stuff and fell in love instantly. Something about the quirky skits and the presentation of the categories got to me and I've been hooked on Hunk since.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Because I wanted more of Jeff and the gang, so I followed them! Been with them since "Arrow Pointing Down" if anybody remembers that.

studsmckewl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#154  Edited By studsmckewl

My brother INSISTED I listen to GOTY 2011 deliberations while on a road trip, so I did. And it was great. And now here I am looking forward to every Tuesday. I think I went premium around a year ago because I got a decent job and wanted to give 'em some money.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I had been visiting gamespot regularly since around the turn of the millennium because that's when I got access to decent internet. After all, it took a very long time to load pages in the 90s, let alone download or view much of anything. Watching live shows like On the Spot would take longer still.

I greatly enjoyed reading, listening and watching the future bombardiers (and Ryan MacDonald, Bob Colayco, Rich Gallup, Greg Kasavin and Carrie Gouskos among others). But then 2007 came along and with it an unprecedented exodus of talent. Top Trotter Rich Gallup and the uncrowned god of quality games press Greg Kasavin quit to take a shot at actually creating games but the biggest blow was yet to come of with the dramatic firing of one Jeffrey "Jefe" Gerstmann. Following this cataclysmic event many of his compatriots at Gamespot left as well.

And so did I.

Arrowpointingdown.com sustained me for a short while but eventually Giant Bomb and Whiskey Media were created so that's how I ended up here.

I am very much opposed to services and subscriptions you continuously have to pay for so it actually took years for me to be convinced that I should sign up and get a premium membership. That being said I have not regretted it for a second. I have never paid a single cent for Xbox Live or PSN but I will gladly pay for a yearly GB Premium membership.

So for what reason did I come to Giant Bomb? The personalities, the integrity and their areas of expertise like video games and dumb shit.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Persona 4 Endurance Run.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I used to go to videogamesdotcom if memory serves correctly. I think that was the N64 days? Eventually, that became GameSpot. The HotSpot / On the Spot to Arrow Pointing Down to BOMBCAST! I'm not even sure if that's correct, but I believe it to be.

I can't remember if it was videogamesdotcom, but either way I used to spend hours checking out all the games I couldn't afford.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@thomasp: pretty sure it was videogames.com but ya. It still exists as a redirect to gamespot.

That's how I originally found gamespot in the late 90s

But ya, just to confirm to you, I used that too back in the day. =)

Cramsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By Cramsy

Listened to the Hotspot religiously before all the shit went down. Followed the gang here

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

started listening to the bombcast like in 2010 and it took me a few months to realize that this site was made up of most of the people that made me love the old GS lol. Then I started watching their quick looks which led to me wanting more content so I subscribed and its probably the best $50 I spend a year.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

simple, Kane and Lynch controversy and I've been here since then.

Zamolxes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@moab said:

I came because of Jeff

I came because of him too. What a sexy man

enai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because I loved The Hotspot, I followed them here.

takashichea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

For me personally, it was both wiki editing and trying new video game recommendations from friends.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By Redhotchilimist
Loading Video...

Someone gave me a link to this video. I thought it was really funny, so I watched a bunch of quick looks, got way into the Persona 4 Endurance Run and listened to the podcast archives. I didn't have a current generation console at the time save for the wii, so all of the discussion was pretty abstract.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I followed Jeff and the other guys from Gamespot (minus Drew since he was an intern on this site and Patrick because he worked somewhere else).

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Came for the podcast sometime in 2009 because I was a fan of the guys since ye olde Gamespot days,

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

#168  Edited By bobafettjm

The wiki is what brought me here, but now I pretty enjoy everything about the site.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cause Jeff was fired and started a cool guy website.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I don't know why it took me so long to actually join the forums.

I had been reading & watching the guys work since probably the videogames.com days without knowing it. Had no idea who the guys were, didn't really care to be honest. I just liked gamespot's take on stuff.

Then the incident with Kane & Lynch happened in 2007 around the time in my life where I stepped away from games altogether. But things in my life calmed down comparatively to where I started to want to game again in 2011 and wanted to get caught up on what I had missed. I remembered what had happened to gamespot, checked it out anyway, thought it sucked, figured I'd go see what the former GS guys were doing since I heard they had a made a website about videogames,

Saw this

Loading Video...

said "YUP I like this place!"

And then started posting because I liked quests and achievements syncing.

KirkyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By KirkyX

On the Spot.

Fubar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Follow from Gerstmann-gate -> Arrow pointing down -> here

TyrellOCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Was watching a guy Let's Play Conker's Bad Fur Day back in 08/09 and he recommended checking out this new website.

Didn't know the guys from Gamespot so everything was totally new. Been here ever since.

LadyShayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fetchfox said:

Followed Jeff to the Arrow Pointing Down Podcast and then on to Giant Bomb.

This was pretty much the case for me as well. I switched from checking gamespot on a daily basis to following Jeff's blog while I waited for whatever was next. I didn't join until subscriptions were added because it seemed like the best possible way I could truly support a site that had given me years of hilarious & amazing content.

Basm321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was listening to the bombcast for a few months. Then I learned of deadly premonition and went to the actual giantbomb website, watched the ER and never looked back

EsDeib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By EsDeib

Someone in a fourm linked to a Quick Look. This Quick Look: http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-ravaged/2300-6762/

As you can see, it is the funniest video in the universe, so I pretty much kept coming back here and never left.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Ryan Davis.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I came over from Gamespot after Jeff got fired. I didn't actually join the site until mid-2009 though.

Mao_Yeezy89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By Mao_Yeezy89

Came across the podcast on a podcast app for Android. Went in knowing absolutely nothing about any of the members and from then on it became a mandatory weekly listen.

bhizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Followed a one Young Ryckert here. Took a few months to finally create an account though.

EternalVigil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

I think was the first Giant Bomb-related thing I ever saw. I lurked for good year or two though.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#182  Edited By BigBoss1911

Because I ditched Gamespot soon after Jeff got canned.Followed the development of Giant Bomb starting with the Arrow Pointing Down Podcast, joined on the first day the site went up. Mind blowing that was 6 years ago.

TechiesRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I heard about the Giant Bombcast on the game station podcast listened to one episode of the bombcast and loved it.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By pyrodactyl

Got here through the bombcast years ago. Someone posted the link to it in the comments over at gamespot on a week the hotspot was on break. Then I got a persona 4 ER best of compilation in my recommended stuff on youtube, watched that. Started watching the ER and the rest is history.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mainly came here to talk to people about video games in a civilized manner because Neogaf is hard to get into.

A confession I must make is I haven't consumed a lot of Giant Bomb content at all. But I'm starting to.

Am I a bad person?

Avatar image for smokinglightgun
SmokingLightgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have been following Jeff Gerstmann and Brad Shoemaker, (and all of the ex-Gamespot guys), since 'The Hotspot' days, and they've been making me laugh consistently ever since, which I have always appreciated.

(To clarify: when I say 'following', I mean it in like, an admiring professional manner, as opposed to some stalker-esque behaviour. Though I did meet Jeff (and MC Chris) in San Francisco at a gamespot party several years ago, which was a lot of fun).

The entire crew of Giant Bomb is awesome. The site is great, and I love that they do things in their own, very interesting, and always entertaining way.

heartofalion28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a long commute to and from work (1.5 hours one way) and I was starting to lose my mind in the car just listening to music. So I started listening to podcasts and a co-worker came across the giant bombcast and recommended it to me. Now the bombcast is a staple in my life, and I enjoy the other content on the site too. It's weird, I struggle with anxiety from time to time and when I feel anxiety creeping up on me at work, instead of taking a xanax I can throw my headphones on and pick an old bombcast and it usually helps stop some of the anxiety. Much better option than using drugs all the time for my anxiety. Also listening to the podcast has reinvigorated my love of video games.

rkofan87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the podcast.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#189 sweep  Moderator

For you, Mork <3

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#191  Edited By AndrewB

@otakugamer said:

I was a Gamespot user when the whole "Gerstmanngate" thing happened and after witnessing the chaos that resulted from that, I was curious to know on what Jeff’s next adventure was going to be. He started a blog, followed his points videos and then he and Ryan made the Arrow Pointing Down podcast and that was the thing that hooked me from there. Then they started building a bomb.

Hmmm. Yup. That's my story too. And like I'm pretty sure I mentioned in another similar thread, despite being in the first group of people to sign up for the site I still couldn't get the username I initially wanted.

Or was it really for @mooseymcman?

Lelcar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#192  Edited By Lelcar

Yes, I got into them in 2007-2008 during the Gerstmann-gate thing as well. Except what REALLY put me over the edge to become a die hard Giant Bomb fan was the Metal Gear Solid 4 Spoilercast. (That was like mid-2008. Also go back and listen to it. It's good.)

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#193  Edited By nightriff

Was looking for video game related podcasts on a drive and came across the bombcast, 1up's and joystiqs. Bombcast was the best out of those and a few year later here I am.

I always used IGN and didn't know much about the gamespot site or the personalities on it BUT I do remember getting mad at that ASSHOLE who gave Twilight Princess a 8.7 even though I hadn't even played the game yet, obviously I have grown up since then (but I still disagree with his score, I think it is a better game than he thought but whatever, doesn't matter).

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#194  Edited By RVonE

Jeff Gerstmann.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I listened to the Bombcast for a few years before ever coming to the actual website. I think one of the first things I watched was a mailbag, but I became hooked after catching a live TNT of Cards Against Humanity and then not long after Fortune Street.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#197  Edited By AndrewB

@mooseymcman:

"For what reason did you come to Giant Bomb?"

Gah, completely ruined! Guess that was too random...

Dokaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By Dokaka

I stumbled upon the Bombcast on iTunes many years ago and decided to visit the site after a few months of listening. I think I heard about the Bombcast on an IGN GameScoop episode, actually. Never actually read/watched any Gamespot stuff back then. I was kind of an IGN guy in my late teens, back when that site actually had some personality to it.

Giantbomb is basically all the gaming related stuff I consume now. There's so much quality bullshit here that I don't have to go anywhere else!

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@andrewb: Oh, sorry! Didn't realize I meant so much to you. :P

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because I appreciate fun stuff. Too bad the gaming community is becoming less fun by the minute. You know what I'm talking about.