Good MMO's?

dr3day

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By dr3day

Lately I've been trying to get into an MMO. 

don't know why. I'm really anti-subscription. They really wear you out in the monetary department. After all, 12 x $15.00 is $180 a year. That's a lot money considering you're playing the same game over and over. I try to stay away from MMO's like WoW, Warhammer Online, and other games that are heavily character based. Do I realy care if you got + whatever loot? Probably not. However, while browsing through fileplanet I couldn't help but come across a 100% free-to-play MMO called "Face of Mankind." It seemed pretty interesting, so I gave it a try.

The MMO is pretty bad. There's a lot of fundamentally flawed issues within the game that makes me think that the developers went out of their way to make it more complicated than it has to be. But for some reason, I'm hooked. I can't stop playing - I find myself playing even at work.  

"Pew Pew"

My reasoning for my self-inflicted insanity is that Face of Mankind has no classes, no stats. It's a player-driven game where players control one of the eight (or nine?) factions within the game. There's the Law Enforcement Department (LED) and Freedom Defense Corps (FDC, Military). The Guardians of Manking (GOM, healers), the Brotherhood of Shadows (BoM, mafia), the Colonization and Mining Guild (GaM, self-explanatory), Eurocore (EC) and Vortex Inc (V), the day traders and stockbrokers, and finally there's the Mercenaries. 

Now witth all these different factions, you would figure that this would be an awesome game. The players are all self-policed by their faction superiors. Brotherhood deals drugs, Mercs carry out hits on people, LED are cops... unfortuntately, somewhere along the way the game gets misconstrued and becomes more of a conviluded mess than it needs to be. The result is a good idea gone bad. Mercs and the BoS aren't half as fun as you think they are to play. EC and FDC control most of the power.... I could go on and on. 

Anyways, this is all leading up to one question: does anybody know of an MMO that gives players the type of freedom I'm looking for? If so, let me know int he comments. And if you want to check out Face of Mankind, click here. I'll warn you, there's 0 tutorials, save the 30 minute long video and the wikis/forums.  I like it, even with all it's flaws. If you give it a go, let me know what you think.
dr3day

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By dr3day

Lately I've been trying to get into an MMO. 

don't know why. I'm really anti-subscription. They really wear you out in the monetary department. After all, 12 x $15.00 is $180 a year. That's a lot money considering you're playing the same game over and over. I try to stay away from MMO's like WoW, Warhammer Online, and other games that are heavily character based. Do I realy care if you got + whatever loot? Probably not. However, while browsing through fileplanet I couldn't help but come across a 100% free-to-play MMO called "Face of Mankind." It seemed pretty interesting, so I gave it a try.

The MMO is pretty bad. There's a lot of fundamentally flawed issues within the game that makes me think that the developers went out of their way to make it more complicated than it has to be. But for some reason, I'm hooked. I can't stop playing - I find myself playing even at work.  

"Pew Pew"

My reasoning for my self-inflicted insanity is that Face of Mankind has no classes, no stats. It's a player-driven game where players control one of the eight (or nine?) factions within the game. There's the Law Enforcement Department (LED) and Freedom Defense Corps (FDC, Military). The Guardians of Manking (GOM, healers), the Brotherhood of Shadows (BoM, mafia), the Colonization and Mining Guild (GaM, self-explanatory), Eurocore (EC) and Vortex Inc (V), the day traders and stockbrokers, and finally there's the Mercenaries. 

Now witth all these different factions, you would figure that this would be an awesome game. The players are all self-policed by their faction superiors. Brotherhood deals drugs, Mercs carry out hits on people, LED are cops... unfortuntately, somewhere along the way the game gets misconstrued and becomes more of a conviluded mess than it needs to be. The result is a good idea gone bad. Mercs and the BoS aren't half as fun as you think they are to play. EC and FDC control most of the power.... I could go on and on. 

Anyways, this is all leading up to one question: does anybody know of an MMO that gives players the type of freedom I'm looking for? If so, let me know int he comments. And if you want to check out Face of Mankind, click here. I'll warn you, there's 0 tutorials, save the 30 minute long video and the wikis/forums.  I like it, even with all it's flaws. If you give it a go, let me know what you think.
emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By emkeighcameron
Xapr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Xapr
@emkeighcameron and dr3day: I've also heard a lot of people mention Guild Wars. Thanks for the link too. Apparently the whole free MMORPG (with paid items) thing is really popular in Asia. They apparently have one that is 2D and is hugely popular there. Here, I did a search and found it: 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maple_story - it has over 100 million subscriber accounts! I only originally found out about it because I was in a US History class in college and this chick played this damn game during the entire class all the time!

Anyway, in searching for this game I found another link for free MMOs: 
http://www.freemmogamer.com/ - looks like a good place to search for what you are looking for...
maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By maxszy

A lot of people who play MMOs end up playing so much (I went through a two year phase with WOW when it first came out and SWG before that) that they no longer are really playing any other games. Therefore the subscription fee is actually perhaps cheaper because you aren't buy any or very few games for other systems. No not everyone, and surely not saying you should do that.

But since your against subscriptions definitely stick to some free ones and considering buying Guild Wars. It would be an acceptable one then.