Gunman Shoots Arizona Congresswoman.

• 170 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By Detrian

I do NOT support this as 100% legit but SOME people on the internet are saying the shooter's name is Jared Loughner and this is his youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Classitup10 
His myspace is also mentioned there but it doesn't exist anymore.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#52  Edited By Slaker117
@ryanwho:  I'm not saying it did. In my first post I even state directly it was the shooters fault, not Palin's. But that doesn't mean the flier isn't relevant to his motivation. That's all I'm saying.

I'm not blaming Palin. I'm blaming the shooter. The flier is simply a point of interest that might suggest why he did it.
apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#53  Edited By apathylad

I kept seeing Roger Ebert and others tweet about the Palin connection. I don't like Palin, but it's too early to point fingers, given what little has been revealed about the criminal. Just like how Jack Thompson blames video games whenever a teen commits a crime. 

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54  Edited By Meowshi
@ryanwho said:
" @Slaker117 said:

" @Dany said:

" @EvilTwin said:

" @A_Cute_Squirtle said:
" That flier is fucking ridiculous. I hope Palin pays for this.  "
Posting that flier is just inflammatory bullshit.  OP should take it down.  It has nothing to do with this and neither does Sarah Palin. "
Completely agree, its just inflaming the narrow minds of delusionalist. "
I don't want to use this for cheap political shots, but the flier does seem relevant to me. I'm not going to pretend Palin is endorsing or even suggesting actual murder, but it certainly looks like a factor. "
Where does self accountability come into play when it comes to clearly crazy people going on killing sprees? Are we pretending this person doesn't still eventually snap if this flier is never made? Fliers don't turn regular people into serial killers. The back of a cereal box could have set him off for all we know. "
I don't think anyone is blaming Palin, though.  I think people were just disgusted at her flier and this tragedy is just reigniting that feeling.  Also, Palin does represent the growing sense of extremism in American politics that does lead to these sort of incidents.  You're right though, we as gamers we shouldn't fall into the trap of, "violent rhetoric cause violent people!"
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By MikkaQ
@PrimeSynergy said:
" @Meowshi said:
" @PrimeSynergy said:
" @Gap said:
" Only in America. "
Sadly. "
Oh bull.  This is a paradise compared to some parts of the world.  Love to see you guys live in an African warzone and then talk about how America is so bad. "
This isn't a dick waving contest to see which country has the most dangerous living conditions. Besides you can't compare the U.S. to a region that has, for the most part, always been unstable. Of course it seems like a paradise in that light. "
A quick google search of "politician shot" pulls results from Malaysia, Pakistan, the Philippines, India, Taiwan and Bulgaria. First page alone. Only two mentions of US politicians being shot, one being the current story. News flash, America didn't invent violence, stop acting like it. Only in America, my ass. 
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#56  Edited By Video_Game_King
@EvilTwin: 

Symbolic? It was kinda directly telling people "let's shoot these people." That's not much of a thing to hold against Sarah Palin fans in general (they're already pretty stupid for liking Sarah Palin :P), but it is relevant to the discussion. Games don't directly tell people to kill each other; hell, the games people cite sometimes punish you for killing people. The poster, however, was somewhat encouraging violence, although I will agree that it is indicative of something larger.

@FugitiveJ:

For some reason, I read it as "German Shoots Arizona Congresswoman."
Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Meowshi
@Skytylz said:
" @Meowshi: You're the biggest fucking idiot in the world if you think Palin had anything to do with this. "
Never suggested she had anything to do with.  
EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#58  Edited By EvilTwin
@MrKlorox said:
" @EvilTwin said:
" @MrKlorox:  Not really.  There will always be violence, but a crazy person with a knife is significantly less scary than a crazy person with a gun, and a crazy person with a gun is significantly less scary than a crazy person with a nuke, etc. This guy wounded 12 people right?  How many do you think he could have gotten with a knife?  Maybe not even one. "
Was it an attempted mass slaughter? Or was it a assassination attempt that 'ended' with time and ammo to spare? We don't know yet. "
A) I don't think it matters.  Using a fully automatic weapon to take out one person or one hundred people is still far more effective than using a knife for either.

B)  
@Purple_Proletarius said:
"  Via MSNBC:   

"Jared Laughner, the man who shot Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.), was described by eyewitnesses as a young white man who looked like a "fringe character."

Laughner shot Giffords and 12 others at a public event at a Safeway grocery store in Tucscon. He reportedly shot the congresswoman "point blank" in the head and may have come from inside the store. After shooting Giffords, he allegedly fired 20-30 rounds and hit "a number of people," including a child. He attempted to flee after running out of ammunition and was tackled by one of Giffords' staffers.

Eyewitnesses have described Laughner as "young, mid-to-late 20s, white, clean-shaven with short hair and wearing dark clothing."

"
There's your answer.
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By MrKlorox
@EvilTwin said:

" @Video_Game_King:  The flier had nothing to do with shooting people that disagreed with Sarah Palin.  It was symbolic.  Plenty of other people agree with Sarah Palin who didn't shoot this Congresswoman.     If gamers are going to defend video games as not causing people to shoot other people, then isn't it hypocritical to turn around and say that a political campaign poster was the cause of this shooting? "

This flier is one of many, many examples of the Tea Party's symbolism. The OP could have pulled any number of double entendres they've used to imply democrats should be harmed. But this one literally had her name, and location on a map represented by a crosshair. The poster is propaganda, and history has shown that propaganda works.

@EvilTwin

said:

" There's your answer. "

Thanks for helping prove my point about motivation.
Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#60  Edited By Skytylz
@Detrian: That is freaky, the favorited video is about terrorism.
Avatar image for purple_proletarius
Purple_Proletarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@EvilTwin said:
" @Video_Game_King:  The flier had nothing to do with shooting people that disagreed with Sarah Palin.  It was symbolic.  Plenty of other people agree with Sarah Palin who didn't shoot this Congresswoman.     If gamers are going to defend video games as not causing people to shoot other people, then isn't it hypocritical to turn around and say that a political campaign poster was the cause of this shooting? "
Not the issue. Andrew Sullivan: "  Giffords was one of twenty members of Congress placed within metaphorical "gun-sights" in SarahPac's graphic. That is not the same thing as placing a gun-sight over someone's face or person. No one can possibly believe - or should - that Sarah Palin is anything but horrified by what has taken place. But it remains the kind of rhetorical excess which was warned about at the time, and which loners can use to dreadful purposes. It is compounded by the kind of language used by the Arizona Wildcat as well. Maybe "Palin Reloads; Aims For Giffords" is good copy as a headline. But next time, an editor should surely pause before enabling forces whose capacity for violence is real."
Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Detrian
@Skytylz said:

" @Detrian: That is freaky, the favorited video is about terrorism. "

If it IS the dude's youtube, dude is craaaazy as shit  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnNx0WThoF0

Edit:
No Caption Provided
benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#63  Edited By benpack
" @EvilTwin said:
Not the issue. Andrew Sullivan: "  Giffords was one of twenty members of Congress placed within metaphorical "gun-sights" in SarahPac's graphic. That is not the same thing as placing a gun-sight over someone's face or person. No one can possibly believe - or should - that Sarah Palin is anything but horrified by what has taken place. But it remains the kind of rhetorical excess which was warned about at the time, and which loners can use to dreadful purposes. It is compounded by the kind of language used by the Arizona Wildcat as well. Maybe "Palin Reloads; Aims For Giffords" is good copy as a headline. But next time, an editor should surely pause before enabling forces whose capacity for violence is real." "
I'm sure she's horrified. Even though I don't support her policies doesn't mean I think she's not human. The sad thing is there are crazy people out there who take everything that their favorite pundits or public figures say to an extreme. It's just sad that this happened. They are also reporting a child is dead after the incident. I don't care what side of the party line you lie on that is fucked.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By ryanwho
@Slaker117 said:
" @ryanwho:  I'm not saying it did. In my first post I even state directly it was the shooters fault, not Palin's. But that doesn't mean the flier isn't relevant to his motivation. That's all I'm saying.  I'm not blaming Palin. I'm blaming the shooter. The flier is simply a point of interest that might suggest why he did it. "
A lot probably contributed. Last campaign, everyone was huffing and beating their chests, on both sides of the aisle, because of how successfully it worked for Palin. If there's a silver lining here at all its the prospect of politicians all being forced to dial down their gimmick laden smear campaigns instead of just going down a laundry list of market research that results in your 'tough momma grizzly' flier here. Or that ad where a dude is shooting a bill amendment. If you wanna go that silly homespun 'real America' angle, you're going to have to go with apple pies and picnics for a while and drop this "hey let's have a violent revolution" inference.
Mr_Pips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Mr_Pips

The shooter is 22 which doesn't fit a profile of a Tea Party member. However, 22 does fit into a profile of a Progressive radical.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By EvilTwin
@Video_Game_King said:
" @EvilTwin: 

Symbolic? It was kinda directly telling people "let's shoot these people." That's not much of a thing to hold against Sarah Palin fans in general (they're already pretty stupid for liking Sarah Palin :P), but it is relevant to the discussion. Games don't directly tell people to kill each other; hell, the games people cite sometimes punish you for killing people. The poster, however, was somewhat encouraging violence, although I will agree that it is indicative of something larger. "
It was not encouraging violence at all.  In hindsight, it was in poor taste, but it's ridiculous to look back at a single poster with some reticules on it saying that they caused someone to be shot.  That poster was no more dangerous to those people on it than Sarah Palin saying "I disagree with these people and hope they lose their incumbency."  Because a crazy man who agreed with Sarah Palin could have taken either as a call for violence.
masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By masternater27

Right by my grandparents place. Better make sure they didn't get shot..

Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Zabant

9 Year old girl dead and the congress woman survives.

Let the adults kill each other over stupid shit but when an innocent child gets killed i get fucking mad. This guy should pay for what hes done.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Skytylz
@Gap said:
" @ryanwho said:
" @Gap said:
" Only in America. "
Yeah politically motivated shootings only happen in America. That is a profound and true statement, great contribution. "
Was on about the fact that in America you can so freely gain access to firearms and shoot anyone you please, be they politicians or most of the time school children.   Sure the UK is shit but the gun laws here are fine: you can't really go on a killing spree with a knife like you can an assault rifle, it just wouldn't happen. "
Wow, that's a pretty stupid thing to say. 
recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#70  Edited By recroulette

The people blaming Palin for this are morons. They are the same ones blaming GTA for school violence.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Slaker117
@Mr_Pips:  Dude don't even. At least people bashing Palin have a poster to go off of. Crazy people come in all ages. And I highly doubt a guy in Arizona with a gun who tried to kill a Democrat is a lib.
CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By CptBedlam

That's what you get for riling up the people with your cowboy-rhetoric, Palin. There were warnings about this exact scenario months ago when Palin's list and her "Reload"-twitter-BS surfaced.

Yeah, I know it's not just Palin who contributed to this. It took a crazy mind and the whole staff of Fox News & co.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Skytylz
@RecSpec: Give them a break, everyone likes to be a hypocrite. 
Purple_Proletarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From the YouTube channel: " I had favorite books: Animal Farm, Brave New World, The Wizard Of OZ, Aesop Fables, The Odyssey, Alice Adventures Into Wonderland, Fahrenheit 451, Peter Pan, To Kill A Mockingbird, We The Living, Phantom Toll Booth, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, Pulp,Through The Looking Glass, The Communist Manifesto, Siddhartha, The Old Man And The Sea, Gulliver's Travels, Mein Kampf, The Republic, and Meno.  " 

It reads like a high schooler's list, but I think we can start erasing the Tea Party relation speculation.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By EvilTwin
@MrKlorox said:
" Thanks for helping prove my point about motivation. "

How did I help you prove your point?  His target was the Congresswoman.  He shot her point blank.  After wards he sprayed the crowd with bullets because he could.  If a similar situation happened and someone only had access to a knife, he likely would have only been able to kill one or two people if that.
Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Skytylz
@CptBedlam: So you agree that GTA also causes people to go on killing sprees?
Purple_Proletarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RecSpec: Don't think very many people are blaming Palin.
Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Zabant
@Gap:  I live in the uk and thats shit. What about the taxi driver that drove around cumbria shooting a shotgun at people? and what about raul moat?

There's two examples just last year.
Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Skytylz
@EvilTwin: You actually think he got the gun legally? 

I"m glad that a mod got this flame war going.
masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By masternater27

Anybody who puts Mein Kampf as one of their favorite books is somebody I don't want to associate with.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#81  Edited By recroulette
" @RecSpec: Don't think very many people are blaming Palin. "
I didn't mean here specifically. Just in general. 
Of all people, we should know better than to go connecting things together like that.
CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By CptBedlam
@Skytylz: GTA doesn't put real person's names into a cross-hair.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Video_Game_King
@EvilTwin: 

Actually, yea, the sign was encouraging violence. Hell, it specifically kept tally of the Congresspeople who were already harmed by similar attacks. That's not encouraging violence?
Granted, the guy was already likely to do something violent, but he probably wouldn't have known who to lash out against had it not been for something along those lines.  As for the Sarah Palin example, that probably would've been less dangerous, since it doesn't exactly use violent rhetoric that encourages people to do crap like this. I don't want to strawman this into another debate, but why do you think the Bush administration liked using the phrase "war on terror?" It created a sense of urgency that made their policies easier to pass; this type of wording employs a very similar strategy.
Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Meowshi
@Mr_Pips said:
" The shooter is 22 which doesn't fit a profile of a Tea Party member. However, 22 does fit into a profile of a Progressive radical  

Yeah, I'm sure the Progressive radical attacked her because she supported Health Care Reform.  Progressives hate that so much!
Purple_Proletarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RecSpec: Like I said,   Don't think very many people are blaming Palin. 

But then again, I mostly only pay attention to people I respect. There are a lot of idiots out there who like to make knee jerk conclusions.
Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Skytylz
@CptBedlam: So Palin said, " Shoot Gabriel Gifford."  The GTA argument is exactly the same thing, but that doesn't support your opinions. 
Mr_Pips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Mr_Pips
@Meowshi said:

" @Mr_Pips said:

" The shooter is 22 which doesn't fit a profile of a Tea Party member. However, 22 does fit into a profile of a Progressive radical  

Yeah, I'm sure the Progressive radical attacked her because she supported Health Care Reform.  Progressives hate that so much! "
Progressive radicals DID oppose the health care bill.

http://www.openmarket.org/2009/12/29/progressives-against-health-care-bill-for-wrong-reasons/
  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bob-samuels/the-progressive-case-agai_b_508473.html
  http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7016302873?Progressives%20Warn%20Obama%20Against
  http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1209/30737.html
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#88  Edited By Hailinel
@Gap said:
" @ryanwho said:
" @Gap said:
" Only in America. "
Yeah politically motivated shootings only happen in America. That is a profound and true statement, great contribution. "
Was on about the fact that in America you can so freely gain access to firearms and shoot anyone you please, be they politicians or most of the time school children.   Sure the UK is shit but the gun laws here are fine: you can't really go on a killing spree with a knife like you can an assault rifle, it just wouldn't happen. "
Very nice, going for pointless, reactionary hyperbole.  Good show.

Anyone in any country can gain access to a gun if they try hard enough.  The fact that the general American populace has the ability to purchase guns doesn't really mean anything in the long run.  Especially since people that really want to kill other people will find a way to make an attempt even if they don't have a gun.  Who's to say that this nutball that attacked the congresswoman and crowd wouldn't have tried a bomb plot, or perhaps attacked people with a knife?  Maybe try to run over people in a truck?

Crazy people do crazy things regardless of their access to guns.
EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By EvilTwin
@Video_Game_King said:
" @EvilTwin:   Actually, yea, the sign was encouraging violence. Hell, it specifically kept tally of the Congresspeople who were already harmed by similar attacks. That's not encouraging violence?  "
I think you are woefully misinformed.  The three people that are crossed off the list retired of their own volition.  Nobody literally shot at them.
chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By chrissedoff
@ryanwho said:
" @Hamz said:
" Perhaps it's about time the politicians rethink that "right to bear arms" bit in the constitution.  "
A random shooting= nanny state time. Clearly what works in Cuba, Japan, and the UK, 3 densely populated small islands, will work in the US. Great observation. Smart people itt. "
gun control won't work because population density, I AM SMART YOU ARE DUMB RARARAR
Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Zabant

UGH now they're talking about how we should thank god shes alive.

HOW ABOUT THANK THE FUCKING DOCTORS WHO ARE KEEPING HER ALIVE. i need to turn this off as its just getting me enraged

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Meowshi
@Mr_Pips said:
" @Meowshi said:

" @Mr_Pips said:

Yeah, I'm sure the Progressive radical attacked her because she supported Health Care Reform.  Progressives hate that so much! "
Progressive radicals DID oppose the health care bill.   http://www.openmarket.org/2009/12/29/progressives-against-health-care-bill-for-wrong-reasons/  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bob-samuels/the-progressive-case-agai_b_508473.html  http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7016302873?Progressives%20Warn%20Obama%20Against  http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1209/30737.html "
Hmm.  Fair enough then, my mistake.
CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By CptBedlam
@Skytylz: If you really don't get the difference, then there's not point in argueing with you.

Palin unnessecarily riled up her supporters against specific persons ("enemies") in a particularly hostile political environment using particularly violent rhetoric. There's no doubt that Palin didn't mean to literally have these people assassinated but there have been warnings that some crazy people could be affected by her violent rhetoric and put her symbolic call into practice. Now it happened.
Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Detrian
@Zabant said:
" UGH now they're talking about how we should thank god shes alive.  HOW ABOUT THANK THE FUCKING DOCTORS WHO ARE KEEPING HER ALIVE. i need to turn this off as its just getting me enraged "
You have issues.

And speaking of insane atheists, it seems the dude was not politically motivated so maybe we can drop the HURRRRRRRR LIBS PALIN DEMOCRATS thing for now.
Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Slaker117

Oh politics.

Even if he was motivated by Palin, dude is crazy and at the only one we can mark as at fault. Whether or not the flier had anything to do with it, Palin should probably stop referring to gun violence against her political adversaries.

There. Can we agree on that?

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Video_Game_King
@EvilTwin: 

Huh? Unfortunately, this is where the debate ends, since I can't look up the names to see what happened to them, and if somebody posted the picture, it would lead to shit like this again. Still, the use of crosshairs and the wording still lead me to believe it was an inflammatory picture meant to incite people to just this.
Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Zabant
@Detrian: Because i dont belive in god "i have issues"?

Shits illogical, they're literally talking about preying for her and how its a miracle and we should thank god shes alive. I frankly find it offensive and a huge disservice to the doctors.
Mr_Pips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Mr_Pips
@Zabant said:
" UGH now they're talking about how we should thank god shes alive.  HOW ABOUT THANK THE FUCKING DOCTORS WHO ARE KEEPING HER ALIVE. i need to turn this off as its just getting me enraged "
How about thanking the drug and medical supply companies that produced the drugs and  tools the doctors are using to keep her alive?
Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Spoonman671

For all we know this dude shot her because he was in love with her.  All this conjecture seems a bit baseless until some more information comes out.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Slaker117
@Zabant:  Dude, I'm with you, but please don't let this get into religion.