Haven't slept in two days, what should I do?

• 75 results
Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Belonpopo

I haven't slept in nearly two days and I have no idea why. Staying up late just hasn't been in my character this summer, earlier this month I had trouble staying up past 2 o'clock. Now I could build a house at 2 A.M. I was wondering if anyone else has/is gone/going through this in there teen years. I've always stayed up late in ever since I hit the age of twelve, but four years later this just plan insanity (literally).  Taking medicines and sedatives is normally a breach of character for me, but I'm willing to flex my principles on this one.   

This isn't a far off description on how I feel.
TomboSlice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TomboSlice

I wouldn't necessarily take sedatives, as the more you take the higher tolerance you will build to them and thus will need to take more for the same desired effect. They also prevent some from even having dreams. Anyway, you should try excercising more, maybe a couple hours before bed. Or just start your own fight club...

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Sleep?

Oh-ho-ho-ho!!

I don't know, man. Might want to see a doctor, and perhaps try some over the counter sleep medicine in the meantime.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By StrikeALight

I had a similar problem when I was younger. It took a long time for me to get into a regular routine, to break the habit of staying up all hours. I'd normally end up just being too tired to sleep. Regular exercise fixed the problem for me.

Since every case is indivudual, I'd suggest a trip to the docs if the problem persists. And I'd reccommened trying to maintain a 'normal' sleeping pattern in the future.

Edit - and don't drink too much caffiene during the day, or instead develop a taste for Green Tea.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By WickedCestus

I'm in the same boat man, my sleeping pattern has been fucked for years. Most school nights I don't fall asleep before 2AM, and I have to wake up at 7:30. During the summer it's better because I can sleep in until 12, but that just leads to me staying up until ridiculous times like 5 or 6.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I recommend seeing a doctor.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Kjellm87

Take a good long walk outside or anything that makes you tired.

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Belonpopo
@supermike6: You got in easy in the school year, I fall asleep are 1:30 to 2, and I get up at 6.
Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By Chris2KLee
@Gamer_152 said:
I recommend seeing a doctor.
Yeah, if you are still not getting any sleep by the end of this week you should seriously consider seeing a doctor. I've done a 48hour spin with no sleep, but basically collapsed as soon as I got home.
tooPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By tooPrime

More cocaine will do the trick.  

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#11  Edited By the8bitNacho

As others have said, I would suggest simply getting some exercise. A good, long workout can go a long way toward keeping a person on a regular sleeping schedule, and it just might clear out whatever weird chemical congestion you have going on in your system. There are plenty of over-the-counter sleep aids available for you to try, some better than others. But if you're not rocking a job or anything right now, I would suggest simply waiting it out naturally.

Insomnia happens, but it's usually pretty good at clearing up eventually, at least in those who haven't experience a history with the condition.

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Rattle618

I´ve sleep 2 of the past 92hs, not cause of a sleeping disorder (I´ve never had one) but a minor respiratory problem.  
I´ve decided to roll with it, I suppose I´ll just pass out of exhaustion eventually and everything will be fine... or I´ll die, whatever comes first.  
I recommend the same.

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Belonpopo
@Rattle618: Whoa....what?
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By Xeiphyer

Its actually possible to shift your sleep cycle into a 36 hour instead of a 24 hour cycle, which can be annoying to fix again.

Chances are though, you just have too many distractions keeping you awake and probably aren't doing much physical activity so you have a lot of energy. Go exercise for a little while, go for a walk or a run, do some sit-ups or something. You will find it much easier to sleep afterwards. 

Another thing I have found to be really helpful in getting to sleep is to stay away from games and stuff for 30-60 minutes before you are planning to sleep. After you play some games you are all pumped up and your mind is very active, so it takes a long time to reach that restful state because it's in a heightened mental state. As long as you do something non-stimulating it'll be a lot easier to get to sleep, so try reading or watching TV (Varies for person to person if TV works or not, some people get really into it). Ideally you could do some exercise before bed, that'll get you nice and tired out and sleeping shouldn't be a problem at all.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#15  Edited By MachoFantastico

Always found reading quite relaxing. Had a similar problem this past year and to be honest with you, alcohol really helped me out. Not the healthiest choice I know, but I didn't drink any alcohol until recently (I'm 22 now) and it's helped me out on weekends when I need to sleep more. Should note that no I'm not some sort of freak, I didn't drink due to the medication I was on and probably being overcautious with it. Hell to it, we only live once.

Whatever you do, don't go checking your computer or using your iPhone all the time as that will just drive you mad.

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Rattle618
@Belonpopo: Sounds fucked up right? but Im getting so much stuff done I kind of feel bad about the prospect of going back to my regular routine of 7ish hours of sleep.
redbliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By redbliss

In the summers after my sophomore and junior years of college, I had a lot of trouble getting to sleep at a decent time. It got to the point that if I reached 4 am, I would not be able to sleep. For me, though, I would always pass out around 12 or so, so I havent had to deal with full on insomnia. If I were you, I would just hope that this is a phase. Dont eat any junk foods late at night and dont drink any sugar or caffeine drinks, and just try to sleep at 1 or 2. I would think the worst thing you could do, though, is use medicine to get to sleep, so dont do that.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By inkerman

+ 1 to reading, and turn off any computers in your room when you sleep. Even if the lights are off, and the noise is minimal, the sound can be distracting (I found that the sound made by mozzie zappers to be hugely annoying, despite the fact they're nearly impossible to hear normally).

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
@Belonpopo
Hope this helps 

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By ajamafalous

@supermike6 said:

I'm in the same boat man, my sleeping pattern has been fucked for years. Most school nights I don't fall asleep before 2AM, and I have to wake up at 7:30. During the summer it's better because I can sleep in until 12, but that just leads to me staying up until ridiculous times like 5 or 6.

This.

Colin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Colin

Join the club, me and sleep just don't go very, but once I do get to sleep I sleep for like 15 hours.  Doctor is probably the way to go.

oatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By oatz

Get some melatonin.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By YoThatLimp

Stay up a few more days and naturally trip balls. Way better than acid.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mnzy

Don't drive.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

that sucks, I used to have the same problem but now regardless of when I go to sleep I wake up at 6:30am which really sucks now on summer vacation

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By unchained

Just relax, don't stress about it.

Convince your mind and body that the bed is a place for sleep only. How you go about this is to only go to bed when you are tired enough to fall asleep within 15 min (approx).

Go to bed when you are tired. If you aren't sleeping within 15-20 min, get out of bed and do something else. Read, watch repeats of television episodes / movies you've watched before, play a game (rts is better than a shooter, as you don't want something too stimulating), etc. Once you are feeling tired again, go to bed. If you don't fall asleep withing 15-20 min, repeat.

This is a psychological therapeutic practice and one my shrink advised to me. Worked wonders. Now when I go to bed, I fall asleep almost immediately.

theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By theguy

I didn't sleep at all last night either. I just lay there for hours wide awake. I really don't know what to do.  Sometimes it happens and eventually I start sleeping again. What I can recommend though is doing a lot of strenuous exercise (like pushups or something) right before bed. I've had some success with that.

Avatar image for harbinger_of_hippos
Harbinger_Of_Hippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Get more exercise and chew some Valerian root." 

That's what the Fight Club doctor said. Or you could go to testicular cancer support groups. Could work, never know 'till ya try it. Truth be told, I don't really know what to do about that. I guess you'd just want to do something incredibly exhausting or maybe something incredibly boring. I think I have some minor sleep problems myself, but I still get tired and fall asleep after awhile, nothing like yours.

JuggernautAK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JuggernautAK

Pop some melatonin or ZMA/gaba, turn off the PC/TV an hour before you sleep to rest your brain, black out all light in your room (LED on clocks too) cool your house to about 69-72 degrees and get into a habit of consistently trying to sleep at a set time.
BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BrickRoad

Sometimes I stop breathing when I sleep. Very rare though. Anyway, go see a doctor. Don't do anything like games or internet 30 mins before hand, and try to get the room as dark as possible, no led's or lights. I think though your problem is more than that, so do go see a doctor.

mackgyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mackgyver

Sleep.

OmegaChosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By OmegaChosen

Just run. Just pick a direction and run. Get some cash together, get a wallet with a lock and chain to thwart muggers, and just run in one direction until you pass out from fatigue. Upon awakening, use money to call a cab back home.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By Yanngc33

I've used to have that same problem, wiki editing usually does the trick

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34  Edited By Evilsbane

@OmegaChosen said:

Just run. Just pick a direction and run. Get some cash together, get a wallet with a lock and chain to thwart muggers, and just run in one direction until you pass out from fatigue. Upon awakening, use money to call a cab back home.

I just love that concept.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Vodun

@Belonpopo: You really REALLY need to stay away from medication. It's the worst fucking thing you can do. I'd almost go so far as to say it's better to drink a bottle of wine to sleep (but that is also a bad idea).

I had trouble sleeping a while back and found listening to someone read a book really put me out. My theory is that it's from my parents reading to me when I was a kid, being programmed to have that signal sleep. But it might be helpful either way.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#36  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Kill someone.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Skytylz

I slept 18 hours straight the other day, I think I got heat exhaustion because I still feel kinda shitty.   

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Pibo47
@TomboSlice said:

I wouldn't necessarily take sedatives, as the more you take the higher tolerance you will build to them and thus will need to take more for the same desired effect. They also prevent some from even having dreams. Anyway, you should try excercising more, maybe a couple hours before bed. Or just start your own fight club...

Yeah. Go do some cardio and getcha pump on. Then you should crash and get some nice sleep.
sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By sirdesmond

@TomboSlice said:

just start your own fight club...

I'd go with this advice.

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#40  Edited By Elazul

Snort Ketamine until you can no longer stand up, then down a bottle of Vodka. You won't have trouble sleeping ever, ever again!

No, in all seriousness get as much exercise as you can take, chew on some Valerian Root and lay off the caffeine. Whatever you do stay the hell away from sleeping pills. If you end up becoming dependant on that shit your problem will get a whole hell of a lot worse.

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Belonpopo

It's been like six hours since I made this thread and I've gone completely crazy.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By coakroach

Consult a medical professional.

Bumpton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Bumpton

Magnesium and melatonin are excellent natural sleep aids. Try those and top it off with some "bedtime/relaxation" tea, which can be found with other teas in the grocery store or in the natural foods section. Between the two of those, you should be getting some huge changes. 

Sleep deprivation is HORRIBLY bad for you health, duder, in case you didn't already know. Fun fact: The Guiness Book of World Records no longer has a record for longest amount of time without sleep because they deemed it too dangerous. But they still have records for shit like swallowing swords. Think about that.

CandleJakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By CandleJakk

@Belonpopo: As someone who has battled insomnia for years, and can't take medicines for it (partly out of choice, for some), let me try and give some tips I've gleaned from personal experience.

• Don't look at screens for a good hour before you plan to sleep - try reading instead.
  • If you can, move your TV/PC/Consoles etc into another room - your body needs to be aware that the bedroom is for sleep or sex, not busy work or games.
  • A mug of hot milk. Seriously relaxes you. Add honey if you want, but I'd avoid too much - sugar is not your friend at this point. Adding cinnamon also helps. I'm ot sure why though - it must be some funky voodoo shit.
  • I find putting on a podcast through headphones at a fairly low volume helps immensely too. It acts as a less irritating white noise, which I find relaxing. Though it won't suit everybody.
  • Masturbate. Seriously, my doctor told me this is great for it. The release of endorphins relaxes the brain immensely, so it's in a less alert state, and the physical exertion tires you out as well.

I've not read through all this thread, just skimmed the first page lightly, so all of this might have been mentioned, but it's worth reiterating. Oh, and if these work for a bit, but then you have troubles start cropping up again, it's a good idea to change the bedding. Clean stuff is way more comfy and easier to sleep in.

So - turn your shit off, have hot milk whilst reading a magazine in another room, put headphones in, wank = snooze time.

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By CastroCasper

Party hardy man. I've had insomnia for a few years now and the only real thing you can do is live all your hours your awake. Like if your up at 2 A.M. start cleaning or exercising. I you lounge around the house most of the day you will never sleep.

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Belonpopo
@CandleJakk: Everyone has mentioned stuff similar to those. Except the masturbation, but that's good news!
SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SeanFoster

@CandleJakk said:

• Masturbate. Seriously, my doctor told me this is great for it. The release of endorphins relaxes the brain immensely, so it's in a less alert state, and the physical exertion tires you out as well.

If I ever can't sleep, this is what I do. Nature's tranquilizer.

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By CastroCasper

@Rattle618 said:

I´ve sleep 2 of the past 92hs, not cause of a sleeping disorder (I´ve never had one) but a minor respiratory problem. I´ve decided to roll with it, I suppose I´ll just pass out of exhaustion eventually and everything will be fine... or I´ll die, whatever comes first. I recommend the same.

You can live a surprisingly long time without sleep.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By iam3green

you should just lay in bed for a while.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#50  Edited By Castiel

I tell you what you should do: you should get some fuckin' sleep!