How can i tell my strongly anti war parents i want to join?

• 84 results
kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kishan6

my parents are very anti war and really protective of me even though ive proved i can handle myself 
im a junior in high school and after a lot of thinking i realized that college really isnt for me.  some people really dont like school.  I hate school. 
im smart and very logical and am taking some AP classes, but i really just dont want to go to college and then get a shitty desk job even if it pays well. 
I want to join the Air Force (although im open to the navy and some marine positions) and become a pararescue jumper so i could be serving with the best and could just become a EMT when i get out.  although if i cant handle the training like most then i would become a Aerial Gunner Apprentice hopefully. 

I just really need some advice on how to approach my parents about it. 
any help is appreciated especially from service members

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By zombie2011

Just tell them.

02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By 02sfraser

The only advice I can really give you is to be honest. They might not like it but at the end of the day it's your life and your own career. Better being happy than getting into debt at college and hating your job

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By toowalrus

The Air Force is sweet, dude, and college isn't for everybody. 

College is also sweet and the Military isn't for me...

Good luck on convincing your parents, and if it doesn't work out, you'll be 18 before you know it.

Rehehelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Rehehelly

Just tell them. They may be all "no you're not!" but do it anyway. It's your life. You live it. 

I'm planning on joining the forces after I get out of university. Going to be in £27k debt after university, not enjoying my course at the moment but I know it's a job I can do and would rather have the degree. Still, wish to be a medic in the army or maybe an air engineering tech in the navy after I leave.

Kieran_ES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By Kieran_ES

Tell them, they won't be happy but they'll accept it and likely become very proud of you. They are your parents.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By ArchScabby

say, "HEY MOTHER FUCKERS, I'M JOINING THE ARMY, AND IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT YOU CAN SUCK MY DICK."

Trust me, they will understand.

thebatmobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By thebatmobile
@ArchScabby said:
" say, "HEY MOTHER FUCKERS, I'M JOINING THE ARMY, AND IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT YOU CAN SUCK MY DICK."  Trust me, they will understand. "
I support this proposition.
ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ch3burashka

Call them from the army/navy recruitment office and say, "I just signed up. I can't back out now."

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By raviolisumo

My advice, become an Officer in the Airforce.

nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By nick_verissimo

I think every parent would be extremely hesitant to let kid join any line of the military, but it essentially boils down to being honest with them.  I mean, obviously, when you're 18 you're free to do whatever it is that you want, but it would definitely be extremely hard to do something that your parents are that much against.  The more mature and passionate you are about it in your discussion with them, the more they are potentially likely to let you join.  You've just got to let them know that this is something you feel you were born to do and you're going to do it.  You just hope that they have your back when the time comes to go do it. 

For what it's worth, I think it's extremely brave of you to want to do something like that and I respect all of the people like you out there.  Who knows, maybe in a year or so you won't want to do it anymore, but you should definitely have some sort of civil discussion about it    

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By StaticFalconar

Telling them will be your sole act of growing up, cause there's a chance that you may never be invited back home ever again. 

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By mikemcn

@CH3BURASHKA said:

" Call them from the army/navy recruitment office and say, "I just signed up. I can't back out now." "

No. A rash decision like that is something that would show how unready for the military you actually are.

Shoot for being an officer in whatever branch you choose. If your grades are solid they'll want you. Also, just tell them.
pbhawks45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14  Edited By pbhawks45

Tell them you'll be saving lives, not killing people. And if they don't want you to, well that's too bad. Parents who love their children should support the decisions they make in life. 

TheC0ndor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheC0ndor

He says it all, show this to your parents, they should understand(other

No Caption Provided
wise their not American and are communists)
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By trophyhunter

Tell your parents to grow a pair

bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bravetoaster

Tell them and if they bitch and moan about it, just leave when you're 18. Your parents won't be able to do anything. I honestly think that you should go to college though. 

I just got out of the Air Force in September. Six years was enough for me. Whatever you do, don't go in as Open General and don't pick Security Forces. 

Avatar image for comradekritstov
ComradeKritstov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By ComradeKritstov

Just explain how important it is to you and how much you have thought it over (assuming both these things are true).

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By csl316

first of all, make sure it's something you really, really wanna do.  if you're just rebelling against your parents, you'll regret it later.

your first sentence made it seem like you just want them off your back, no offense.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f17af3f88819
deactivated-5f17af3f88819

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just tell them this is what you want with your life and that you have really thought it through. Be excited about it and show that this is what YOU REALLY WANT TO DO WITH YOUR LIFE. Your parents are more likely put aside their dislike of the military if they can see you are genuinely excited.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just be very mature about it. They will probably assume "Oh, he's just a kid, he changes his mind every day." but if you demonstrate that you have thought heavily about it (which I hope you have) and hope that they understand. Try to inform them of the benefits service time has, but also try not to beat them over the head with it (you don't want to sound like a walking brochure). Most importantly, let them know that you know that you very well could die out there, and that it's a chance you're willing to take.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By meteora

Tell your parents. They need to realise that they can only do so much to control their kid and need to let go at some point. A parent is to nurture their children and make sure they go on a right path, not make every decision for him or her. The military isn't "wrong" by any means, its a lifestyle that some people choose to pick up.

MayorFeedback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By MayorFeedback

College, the military, whatever. Any honest profession or path in life after high school is totally honorable. I'm anti-war, too (honestly, who isn't?), but I'm pro-serving your country if your conscience is telling you to. 

Just understand, man, that it's going to be hard on them. Not just because of their beliefs, but because it's hard for any parent to send their kid into the military. There's always that chance of them not coming back, even if there's no war on. Don't minimize their feelings, and there's a chance they'll take yours seriously, too.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Just tell them you want to throw your life away and airforce piolets doesn't die.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Godwind

Regardless of what you do, make sure you at least finish high school.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By Video_Game_King

Give them a copy of any Call of Duty game :P. Either that, or just tell them that the more soldiers an army has, the more likely it is that the war will end sooner.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By kishan6
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

Just tell them you want to throw your life away and airforce piolets doesn't die.

"
Who are you to tell someone they are throwing their life away?
and if you read my post you would know that i dont want o be a pilot.  i dont have good enough vision to even if i wanted to 

and to the other people who were wondering if i had researched it and what not i have... a whole lot... i have a one track mind 
And one of my best friends is in boot camp right now so when he gets back ill probly get more of an idea of how it works 

and to the guy who thought i was just rebelling (or said he thought it sounded like that) im not doing that at all i really just realized its not for me 
i need to do something with my life and have a real sense of accomplishement 
i also want to get a chance to see the world because ive neveer beem farther than mexico and i was only there for a bit
Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Arbie

To seriously consider signing up should be a mature decision, and a well researched and prepared for one at that. If you are serious about it and can show that it's not a spur of the moment thought then I believe that although they may not agree with your choices they will respect you are an adult and choosing your own path in life. However, I don't believe anyone should sign up simply because they don't want to go to college. I'm hoping you've looked at your options and realised the air force is where you want to be regardless of even another good career opportunity.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#29  Edited By damnboyadvance

Tell them that it's what you want to do, and that you can handle yourself.

Also ask them to support you. I think it's ironic and downright disrespectful when I see parents of a dead soldier protesting the wars, specifically the one that soldier fought in.

Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Seems like you are just rebelling. Going to university doesn't necessarily mean you will end up a desk job.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ryanwho

You don't really need their blessing as a legal adult.

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Rockdalf

Tell them you are a responsible adult who doesn't have to go online and ask people how to handle talking to their own folks about their life decisions.  Reach down and find a pair, let you parents know what your plans are and then implement them until you change your mind again (I would suggest looking into the exciting career of exotic dancing after this phase).

Also 
@HitmanAgent47 said:

"

"
Go fuck yourself, preferably with a sharp object.  It's not only the fact that you troll almost every thread you post in, whether intentional or not, but you can't even do type it correctly in the language you're using.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@Rockdalf: I flagged your post, that was unnecessary.
WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By WickedCestus

Don't worry if they're not fully supportive at first, it might come as a shock to them. But also remember that you can change a lot in the next few years and you may not want to do exactly that when you get older, so don't close doors by getting bad grades.

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Rockdalf
@HitmanAgent47 said:
" @Rockdalf: I flagged your post, that was unnecessary. "
That puts our score at what?  1 - 9001 

And how the hell do you have the right to flag posts?  I figured they would've taken that from you a long time ago.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@Rockdalf: what the fuck is your problem? Also who the fuck are you? Are you new to the site because your either very unimportant, or I never seen you before. 

I guess if I write something you percieve as negative, which I don't because I don't support these wars. You will then get angry because you are a hostile agressive. Being negative brings out the worst in angry ppl, like you so you are going to somehow try to make enemies with me or something. It's still your agression because I have no idea who you are.
hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By hexx462

Are they anti-war or actively anti-military? There's a pretty distinct difference between the two. I'm what you'd call anti-war (who the hell is truly pro war anyway!?) but I'm not naive. I enjoy the concept of someone being out there that is PROTECTING my lily white liberal ass. I guess the point I'm trying to make is, have you even discussed this with them? You might be shocked about their true opinion or at least sell them on the concept, and it's an honest career. If anything you'll get experience out of it that will be very useful later in life. In the end it's just a career and if your parents are decent people they'll forgive you after being upset initially.

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Rockdalf
@HitmanAgent47: Just out of curiosity, why do I never receive a PM from your replies in any thread? 

I only see two reasons: 
A) You just bold my name and put an "@" symbol in front of it so it looks like you replied to me, but you don't get one of my charming responses back 

-OR- 

B) Some staff has removed your accounts ability to send out PMs every time you respond, which is equally hilarious.
MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Isn't becoming a pararescue jumper, like, hard as balls? Molyneux's balls? You should probably have a plan B. Maybe you already do. I dunno.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@ArchScabby said:
" say, "HEY MOTHER FUCKERS, I'M JOINING THE ARMY, AND IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT YOU CAN SUCK MY DICK." .
Works every time.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@Rockdalf: you are a hostile agressive and when you see others being negative, you try to act negative around others too. Go ahead and try to make enemies with anyone you don't like. It's like you just made up your mind, hitman is negative, so let's go take a shit near his direction. 

Don't waste my time, I don't get along with pissed off ppl. That's your problem and not mine, I don't know what your talking about when you are saying negative things about me and from now on. I won't read your post or reply to them. It's not like I would even remember, considering how unimportant you are on the site.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ryanwho

Even pro war people have a hard time dealing with their kid actively seeking out front line military positions. %9 of the people in America have served in the military in their life and %80 of the military is not on the front line. Its a percentage of a percentage.  I would imagine they'll try and sweeten the college pot and if that doesn't work they're try and talk you into a logistics position away from the front lines.

hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By hexx462
@HitmanAgent47 said:
" @Rockdalf: you are a hostile agressive and when you see others being negative, you try to act negative around others too. Go ahead and try to make enemies with anyone you don't like. It's like you just made up your mind, hitman is negative, so let's go take a shit near his direction. "
Shit there's a war starting in this thread!
Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Rockdalf
@HitmanAgent47 said:
" @Rockdalf: you are a hostile agressive and when you see others being negative, you try to act negative around others too. Go ahead and try to make enemies with anyone you don't like. It's like you just made up your mind, hitman is negative, so let's go take a shit near his direction. "
That's probably as close as I'll ever come to understanding and agreeing with your sentiment.  But please, our bicker is getting off topic and I achieved what I came to do anyway, so we can continue this charade in PM if you would prefer.
Tonic7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Tonic7

I will keep my thoughts on the U.S. military out of this discussion out of respect, but I will certainly encourage you to reconsider college. If you're currently taking AP classes, then you are surely intelligent enough to enter many respectable American universities. Some people claim that what you learn in 4 year college is BS, that none of it really matters in the "real world," that you don't learn job skills, but to such people I would happily disagree. I've read so many brilliant things in college, I've had so many great experiences (both intellectually and socially), I've engaged myself mentally in many ways - there's simply no way I could consider my 4 years a waste by any means. Sure, there are infamous horror stories about cramming sessions before exams, late night paper writing, etc. If you avoid procrastination, however, then the experience could be a truly beautiful one on many levels.

That having been said, you know yourself best. Perhaps college really isn't for you; this is certainly a respectable position. But just keep in mind that college courses are much more diverse and engaging than most of your boilerplate, teach-to-the-test high school courses. This is coming from an English Lit./Poli. Sci. student, though, so maybe the sciences are different. Still, college is always worth considering deeply, in my humble opinion.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@Rockdalf: how about get lost and never speak to me again. If your angry, your the one who's angry over something. I bet you are like crazy mad or something, your pissed off and I am just your newest trigger. I will ignore all your post because I don't like dealing with angry ppl, I don't have the time for your bullshit, which I blame you 100% for. If I see your post, even though I won't remember such a unreconizable bottom feeder like yourself, I will delete it. If you send me an indirect insult, I will dismiss your msg and not listen to it at all. Good bye and get lost, if you don't like me, then that's your problem. Keep your schzophrenic anger away from me. I bet you want to argue like 30 replies in a row, your not the first one i've dealt with like that btw. I also made a policy where I won't reply to anyone more than 6 times in a row if they have less than a 1000 post due to the last hostile agressive, most of them are usually angry, you only have like around 700, so I was right.  

Edit: I said sczophrenic because the last guy I figured out was that way I argued with, he also had about 700 post. When I said that about him, he stopped posting in a priv msg that went on like 50 post in a row defending it saying he works with those ppl and it's nothing to joke about. I'm assuming that's you at the time. If that's not you, your still a hostile agressive (nothing to be proud of because your type always looks for someone to fight with so I won't participate which you will find an new target, get therapy) I need time to narrow it down. I am not accusing myself, I just thought maybe you were like the last guy because some sort of switch goes off in your head and says, i'm angry and i'm going to make enemies with hitman. Also I am surprised you follow my post so closely, I don't even know who you are. I guess I will have to ignore every poster that has less than 1500 post because most of the time, they turn out hostile. I didn't even read your next post, or will I ever even get your msg, direct or indirect.

To the thread, this war is under the pretense of weapons of mass destruction or osama bin laden somehow caused 9/11 and he's in afganistan. I mean what if the war was based on a flase flag operation and the goal is to keep the military overseas to bankrupt our own country to devalue our dollar. They have been talking about introducing a new currecy for years now. That's why I don't support it and even though there are less solider deaths now, I believe it's not something that's worth fighting for without being totally sure. I believe they are trying to make the war last forever if possible. However that's only my opinion, it's your life, your parents just probally doesn't want to see you get injured or die. Maybe join the national guard or something, less risk.
bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#47  Edited By bacongames
@Tonic7 said:
" I will keep my thoughts on the U.S. military out of this discussion out of respect, but I will certainly encourage you to reconsider college. If you're currently taking AP classes, then you are surely intelligent enough to enter many respectable American universities. Some people claim that what you learn in 4 year college is BS, that none of it really matters in the "real world," that you don't learn job skills, but to such people I would happily disagree. I've read so many brilliant things in college, I've had so many great experiences (both intellectually and socially), I've engaged myself mentally in many ways - there's simply no way I could consider my 4 years a waste by any means. Sure, there are infamous horror stories about cramming sessions before exams, late night paper writing, etc. If you avoid procrastination, however, then the experience could be a truly beautiful one on many levels. That having been said, you know yourself best. Perhaps college really isn't for you; this is certainly a respectable position. But just keep in mind that college courses are much more diverse and engaging than most of your boilerplate, teach-to-the-test high school courses. This is coming from an English Lit./Poli. Sci. student, though, so maybe the sciences are different. Still, college is always worth considering deeply, in my humble opinion. "
I would agree and college has certainly been the opposite of leading me to a cubicle I'll never leave for the rest of my life.  Besides another avenue would be to pursue the military through college because that's a very good way to get experience, get hired, and learn important skills.  That and it's an opportunity to reap the benefits of college all the while maintain the goal of sticking to the armed forces.  Go to college, get yourself involved into military programs there, get into ROTC if you can, and see how it turns out.

Oh right, are you in an ROTC program?  That's a real good indicator of whether or not you're willing to live with the military in any capacity. 

Just jumping into the armed forces isn't a good idea in my opinion unless you're looking to be a low-level fighter or administrator.  My advice is do both, go to college and join the armed forces.
Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Ryax
@Rockdalf: why argue with some one who can't even spell people? or use the you're when speaking. if he cant spell people and use words correctly he obviously isn't making an argument that could possibly win since he has the brain capacity of a 5 year old. 
Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Rockdalf
@HitmanAgent47 said:
" @Rockdalf: how about get lost and never speak to me again. If your angry, your the one who's angry over something. I bet you are like crazy mad or something, your pissed off and I am just your newest trigger. I will ignore all your post because I don't like dealing with angry ppl, I don't have the time for your bullshit, which I blame you 100% for. If I see your post, even though I won't remember such a unreconizable bottom feeder like yourself, I will delete it. If you send me an indirect insult, I will dismiss your msg and not listen to it at all. Good bye and get lost, if you don't like me, then that's your problem. Keep your schzophrenic anger away from me. I bet you want to argue like 30 replies in a row, your not the first one i've dealt with like that btw.   To the thread, this war is under the pretense of weapons of mass destruction or osama bin laden somehow caused 9/11 and he's in afganistan. I wonder if that's totally true, that's why I don't support it and even though there are less solider deaths now, I believe it's not something that's worth fighting for without being totally sure. However that's only my opinion, it's your life, your parents just probally doesn't want to see you get injured or die. Maybe join the national guard or something, less risk. "
So the guy who sees triangles in his cheerios is diagnosing me schizophrenic?  Well isn't that just textbook pot calling the kettle black.  And if you're saying you'll no long reply to any comments or threads I make, then I'll well consider that a blessing and encourage others of the community to achieve the same reward.  Of course you won't reply to this because you're ignoring my posts.