How Do You Deal With Derogatory Language In The Workplace?

• 77 results
Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm fortunate enough to not hear that sort of talk most of the time, but when I hear that sort of nasty biz spoken aloud I tend to say "yo that's fucked up, dude" or something along those lines (it depends on how familiar I am with the person speaking. A more casual approach tends to work for me). Generally folk aren't even really thinking about what they're saying, and I try to give people the benefit of the doubt. The few times that I've heard things repeated, I've gone to HR over it (one of the engineers is Iranian and there was some toxic shit said about him for a while, and I felt awful about it).

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8907c9ada33
deactivated-5f8907c9ada33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

A reminder about the forum rules: please don't ever use any homophobic, racist, etc. slurs or other hate language of that type. Even if you're quoting someone else or not directing it another person, it's still not tolerated.

Thanks, I wasn't entirely aware what was acceptable and what wasn't. I'll keep that in mind for next time.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I had a co-worker that would refer to a transgender client of ours as an inanimate object. It was pretty horrendous.

I ended up quitting that job. Everyone there was pretty awful. Boss didn't care about any of the things said, telling me that it's all a "harmless joke".

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So happy none of this shit happens at my workplace! Everyone gets along shockingly well :)

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ha, this topic is kinda funny to me.

I've only ever worked blue collar and or minimum wage jobs and lets just say that if you're not being....uh...saucy, you're doing it wrong. I've never worked anywhere with an HR department :D

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

I just want to say that I disagree with the post being edited by mods. Slurs should be quoted verbatim, not sanitised or censored.

"This is really bad, and you should learn the lesson not to use this language. I won't actually tell you what it is, but trust me."

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just want to say that I disagree with the post being edited by mods. Slurs should be quoted verbatim, not sanitised or censored.

"This is really bad, and you should learn the lesson not to use this language. I won't actually tell you what it is, but trust me."

Be careful, criticizing the mods in any way can get you banned.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

@clonedzero: No, you're just being mean. I just wanted my opinion to be known as I think it's an important part of the topic and I don't expect mod policies to change... and that's OK.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clonedzero said:

Be careful, criticizing the mods in any way can get you banned.

I don't think that's true, though I do wonder what the reasoning is behind not being allowed to use those words if we're using a quotation. I'll follow the rules because I do like posting here, but it'd be nice to get some clarification from the moderation team.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Crembaw

I'm gonna say talk about it but don't let your emotions get the better of you while doing it. What I mean is, don't go all out or get confrontational unless you think that would be the only way to get to a person. If you've known these people long enough, try tailoring your methods to something which you think they'll respond to. One of my best friends used to make casual rape jokes, even in the presence of his girlfriend, and at least one female friend who had experienced assault. People had confronted him a few times about it, but he is generally a very defensive person and goes on guard against even slight criticism. What I usually did was just reply with a small groan and a sort of 'come on, man' type phrase, never expecting anything to come from it. To my surprise, it actually worked, and at least when I'm around he cuts out joking about stuff like that pretty much entirely. Ideally he would've taken the hint and cut it out with everyone, but honestly knowing him the small amount that I do, that he changed his habits even slightly is surprising.

However, it all depends on how well you know these people. If you don't really hang out with them outside of work and only know them nowadays through this job, it might be better to just avoid talking to these people in a non-work-related context. I definitely don't think you should just 'grin and bear it' by any stretch, but the avenue you take ultimately depends on how important this matter is to you. If it is seriously making you uncomfortable and you have to have regular contact with these people then you should definitely bring this up to either your company's HR service or an outside HR/labor relations professional and ask them what to do.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@haz: I can only imagine that Giantbomb/Gamespot has been hurting lately with the latest Twitter fiasco. The crew has stated that there are changes that will be implemented, and this may be one of them. It's the type of mentality of not giving the people ammo to light a fire that just was. If people can mock and criticize a company over a hiring choice based completely on conjecture, then one can only imagine someone could get offended by a post in a forum that used words offensive to them.

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I've been pretty lucky with this kinda stuff at my job, because of the sheer diversity there. So I haven't really had to deal with any of this kinda stuff. Anytime it has happened, either one of us would call it out on the guy or more likely HR would get involved.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I think this bit sums it all up nicely.

"Anytime you do anything remotely sensitive, heartwarming, anything that's gonna make you more of a loving, caring, individual... Immediately, all your guy friends suggest that maybe, just maybe, you wanna suck a dick! It's brutal! Even if you do something smart!"

Loading Video...

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Bocam

@everyones_a_critic said:

I think this bit sums it all up nicely.

"Anytime you do anything remotely sensitive, heartwarming, anything that's gonna make you more of a loving, caring, individual... Immediately, all your guy friends suggest that maybe, just maybe, you wanna suck a dick! It's brutal! Even if you do something smart!"

Loading Video...

So is something like this allowed? Where the slur is technically only on the video's title?

@haz said:

The sad part is these guys are visible minorities yet they continue to use this language because ... "I don't give power to the words, I'm not racist/homophobic"

What do you mean by "visible minorities"?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

How do you deal with it?

You tell someone about it. That's it.

If someone wants to walk around using that kind of language, kick them directly in the dick for me and tell them to stop being such ignorant human beings.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@bocam said:

@haz said:

The sad part is these guys are visible minorities yet they continue to use this language because ... "I don't give power to the words, I'm not racist/homophobic"

Race, ethnicity....pretty much anything you can confirm by seeing. At least if I'm understanding Canadian politics correctly.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@jakob187 said:

How do you deal with it?

If someone wants to walk around using that kind of language, kick them directly in the dick for me and tell them to stop being such ignorant human beings.

Out of curiosity, does that extend to blasphemy, or does "don't you care about other people's feelings?" not extend to religious matters?

@video_game_king said:
@bocam said:
@haz said:

Race, ethnicity....pretty much anything you can confirm by seeing. At least if I'm understanding Canadian politics correctly.

I think the question was about the phrasing, and who "these guys" and "they" refers to, which is confusing for me as well. Are "these guys" the visible minorities who are defending their language and are being viewed as hypocritical? Are "they" not minorities, but they're ignoring the harm their language could be doing?

Using substitution:

The sad part is [my coworkers] are visible minorities yet they continue to [use derogatory language directed at other minorities] because ... "I don't give power to the words, I'm not racist/homophobic"

The sad part is [the people being talked about] are visible minorities yet [my white coworkers] continue to use this language because ... "I don't give power to the words, I'm not racist/homophobic"

Either could be true with the way the sentence is worded.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I realized I should have clarified. My co-workers are visible minorities, yet continue to use derogatory language directed at other minorities. That's another reason I'm pretty disappointed by it, they should know better.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@haz said:

I realized I should have clarified. My co-workers are visible minorities, yet continue to use derogatory language directed at other minorities. That's another reason I'm pretty disappointed by it, they should know better.

Yeah, I realized a while ago the whole "You're a minority, so you know what it feels like to be generalized, which means you probably wouldn't generalize anyone else" never really seems to work out that way.

SOME minorities steal things, and SOME minorities will rob you on the street. This is statistical fact, and the same goes for any race. However, if you have someone who distrusts minorities and considers them all to be criminals, you clearly are dealing with a racist asshole, wouldn't you agree? I sure would. They're making a hateful and harmful generalization.

Now, think about how SOME police officers are these racist assholes, and how SOME police officers distrust minorities. Because whenever a minority views this as how "the police" are, that is also a generalization. It's still a form of prejudice. One relates to race and the other an occupation, but both are examples of one human being distrusting another and prejudging someone's character.

People are human, and various in groups / out groups are just a basic part of humanity. Unfortunately, some people get downright hateful and distrusting in that area, which frequently leads to all sorts of hypocrisy.

I enjoy a fair amount of rap music, but there sure can be a lot of anti-gay / anti-police messages to those songs, sometimes.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spaceinsomniac: i think you got to the point i was trying to make better.most of the people that have a problem saying those slurs or rascist stuff,also dont have a problem using gods name in vane,or cussing in general.which imo is a double standard.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

In the army you go with the flow until people get bored, nobody cares about individual opinions or feelings here

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

@jakob187 said:

How do you deal with it?

Out of curiosity, does that extend to blasphemy, or does "don't you care about other people's feelings?" not extend to religious matters?

Why should that even happen in the workplace? Shit like that isn't even tolerated where I work...AT ALL!

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't worked in that kind of environment for a couple years, but every job I've had up to that was a job where people said really dumb stuff like that. I honestly can't remember how I reacted, but I know I didn't take part. I'm pretty sure I'd just kind of find ways to continue the conversation without addressing the slur that was used. Probably the coward's way out, but I had to work with these people and didn't want them to hate me.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Working in game QA, I've encountered a fair amount of this because of the laid back, entry level job environment. I just ignore it, but it's very irritating.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I work for a trucking company: Bad language and causual homophobia are par for the course. Eventually, you just ignore it.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I don't. Unless its pejudiced (against races, cultures, creeds, religion, or sexual orientation) I don't really care. I don't believe in bad words beyond the prejudice/racist kinds.

Most people don't use prejudiced words in normal conversations around town (or work) and everything is fine. As far as I'm concerned shit, fuck, piss, and so on are normal english language with definitions and everything.

Everybody uses them, there's no reason to consider them derogatory. It's not derogatory just because it's used.

I don't need to cuss to insult you- I promise.

ninjalegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have truly learned the meaning of in the minority while being employed by the companies I have worked for. I work with this women whom is very vocal about her conquests. It really came to a boil when she was in a relationship with this lady in marketing. One of the guys I work with directly would always have a comment describing in great detail about his wishful voyeurism. I tried to talk to the both of them and it did little good. She just talks about it as loud as always a little farther from my desk now. In this case I reason it away with knowing that she is starved for attention and trying to fill some kind of hole inside her. She is not doing this to directly insult me.

If it keeps bothering you, contact HR. What you are talking about is in what is called protected categories. Unless you work in some mom and pop tiny business they will put an immediate stop to it. Where it gets tricky is if your issue does not fall into a protected category.