• 112 results
RaceKickfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By RaceKickfist

pandora.com, tho it requires a lot of babysitting. i've found most of what i like thru listening to genre stations on live365.com

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#52  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

I find a song I like and then search for other songs from the same band to see if their any good. Dont try to do this on anything you hear/see on MTV its a waste of time.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By subject2change

Last.fm, Friends, Genius with iTunes, random blogs, random websites, seeing live shows.

Avatar image for auspiciousqueue
auspiciousqueue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#54  Edited By auspiciousqueue

Friends that make me mix tapes. Seriously, did I even know who Ted Leo was before them?

callumbay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#55  Edited By callumbay

Last.fm, Pitchfork, Drownedinsound, NME and The Zane Lowe Show, usually.

Valco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Valco

It may be craven and comformist, but I've found some good stuff just be typing a random word into spotify and clicking the popular results
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By zeforgotten

Sometimes it's by "Accident" and other times it's friends mentioning something new they heard and wants me to listen to it. 
Sometimes I hear a kickass song for a trailer to a game or a movie and just use my phone to figure out what song it is. 

Frederik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By Frederik

About half a year ago I found the music-blog named moteldemoka.com and it just really fits my taste, I think I've discovered more new awesome bands in these months that I had my whole prior life. I'm also a musician myself and 85% of my friends are as well so they introduce me to new music and vice versa. We often hang out just to introduce each other to new music ((uh and drink beer or smoke hash)) 

It's an amazing thing to find people or a site that shares ones taste, but is a few years ahead of you... Music is awesome!

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#59  Edited By EpicSteve

Youtube

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

People, websites, bands, radio, concerts (always watch the warm-up bands!), festivals, etc.

I seek music everywhere I can get it.

Aarny91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 14

#61  Edited By Aarny91

Last.FM mainly.

secretagent099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By secretagent099

Pandora for sure. Use a proxy if it's blocked.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#63  Edited By Phished0ne

Friends, Pandora,  also i like to randomly search the internet for band members side-projects. 

but stay the hell away from that hipster pitchfork media site, they hate good music there. 

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#64  Edited By Djeffers03

I don't really know. I often hear people talking about an artist, whether it's at school or on the radio and the i go on youtube/ itunes and listen to their stuff. A lot of it I manage to find on my own but I don't know how.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By TheFreeMan

I usually just stumble upon on the internet, or from my brother. Or movies. Basically, if I hear a song I really like, I'll look into it, then I'll look at the rest of the band's songs and go from there. It's worked for me a lot.

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Hourai

Last.fm and YouTube. 

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Azteck

I use Spotify a lot, so I sometimes just listen to similar artists to the ones I like. It was how I found Rise Against, Paramore etc.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#68  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@crusader8463 said:
" @ZanzibarBreeze said:

" Grooveshark. Add music you like to the playlist and then use the radio feature. Some of it will be good, some of it will be bad, but it should help you find stuff you haven't heard before. "

How does that work? I made an account and added ten or so songs to the playlist. How do I get more? The radio button? Do I need to keep a list there or will it keep track of songs I like and dislike and suggest new ones based on that? "
Yeah, just hit the radio button. I believe Grooveshark will remember your playlist for you, but you can also add music to your "favorites" or to your "library" -- they're really the same thing. You can also save playlists. It's like a cloud-based Windows Media Player with more music you can imagine. And some how it's been going for two years without being shut down yet.
Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Whisperkill

Friends

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#70  Edited By crusader8463
@ZanzibarBreeze:  Ya, I really like the interface of it. It hasn't given me any new music yet but it's a neat little program. If firefiox didn't take up so much memory I would just use this instead of my music collection.
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#71  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@crusader8463 said:
" If firefiox didn't take up so much memory "
Yeah, I know. It takes up an unreasonable amount.
Avatar image for comrademcpherson
comrademcpherson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By comrademcpherson
@crusader8463: I usually use Last.fm. It gives you recommendations of not only artists, but new releases that you might like. Not to mention a great radio station program. I usually get full albums and listen the whole way through, it's a personal thing, I guess. Good luck!
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By crusader8463
@comrademcpherson:  I gave it a try but I wasn't a fan of it. Might grow on me if I use it more but the ticking down 30 song thing kind of turns me off of it. Plus that Grooveshark site is exactly what I was looking for. I just prefer its interface. Just wish it didn't have so many copies of songs when you search. Still though, a minor complaint for what else it does.
Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#74  Edited By Sooty

Last.fm browsing really, very, very rarely have people recommended me something I actually liked. :3

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Pessh

last.fm

ArcLyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By ArcLyte

last.fm
sputnikmusic.com

bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By bjorno

south american metal blogs

AsianSwagger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By AsianSwagger

Mostly Pandora and friends.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#79  Edited By landon

Pandora.com

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#80  Edited By buzz_clik

Friends, telly, various review sites, forums like this and a multitude of blogs that I visit daily. Anywhere I can get it, really.

comrademcpherson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By comrademcpherson
@crusader8463: Last.fm is the most useful for seeking out new artists, not finding individual songs. If that's what you want, then I'd agree that Grooveshark is good for that. But I'm into finding artists and listening to albums, so I guess I have a different mindset. However, Last.fm's radio stations can give you some really good stuff. I'll show you my Last page:  http://www.last.fm/user/literatetrees
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By crusader8463
@comrademcpherson:  Here's the thing for me though. With the exception of maybe four or five groups/artists I don't like more then one of their songs. Even the "greats" of music only have one or two songs that I like. So for me it's kind of silly to look for artists rather then individual songs. But I'm desperate for new music so I will try anything thrice.
CSXLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#83  Edited By CSXLoser

i use pandora.com  I dont use it enough to ever break the 100 hr limit :P 

2nd way is to get a friend or two on IM and start bashing links of songs to each other

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By iam3green

friend, radio, going to concerts watching the opening bands.

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By raviolisumo

I have lots of hipster friends.

comrademcpherson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By comrademcpherson
@crusader8463: Here's a list of "essential" albums of the widely considered classic/great artists: 
Beatles-Rubber Soul, Revolver  
The Who-Tommy, Who's Next 
Rolling Stones-Beggars Banquet, Exile on Main St. 
Led Zeppelin-Led Zeppelin IV, Led Zeppelin I 
Bob Dylan-Highway 61 Revisited, Blood on the Tracks, John Wesley Harding 
There's a lot more great stuff out there in the classics variety, but I won't try to overwhelm you. Listen to these albums, (however you may acquire them, that's not the discussion) and tell me/us what you think. If you want more specific genres of stuff, (i.e. essential metal, rap, etc.) PM me and I'll help you. Hope this helps.
TuneaDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By TuneaDay

Hey I've started a blog that posts one song a day for people looking to find some new/old/different music, be cool if anyone wants to check it out

TuneaDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Capum15

Radio, the Electronica/EDM channel of the Music Choice stuff on TV, and friends are the three usual things. I used to use Pandora, haven't in a while though. Tried out Spotify too, it's alright.

Edit: Man, is it usually like this or did I just not notice it before? All these old threads suddenly being brought back up. Seems like it's happened more in the past month or so than usual.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By crithon

I feel like such a nerd, I discover majority of my music through video games. First time I listen Kayne West was from Saints Row 3rd.

Mostly I get my music advice from hipster friends and girls I date.

Whamola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Whamola

I find new music the same way I find new authors. I just pick a band I really like and then research what their influences and favorite bands are/were. If you really like a specific person from a band, they probably also have side projects.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was going to answer this in detail, but then I realized it was a 3+ year old thread that was necro'd purely to advertise some blog.

I ain't gonna be part of this system, man! I'm an adult!

Original_Hank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Original_Hank

Awesome timing, I was thinking about making a thread like this, so I'm glad to see one already exists.

Unless I find an album that really sticks with me,(which is rare) I burn through music fairly quickly so I am always on the hunt for new stuff. Despite their quasi (or completely) illegal standing, I really lament the loss of music blogs. It used to be there was a ton of blogs dedicated to really specific niche music that you probably wouldn't get to hear through conventional means, and you could trawl through them and download what seemed interesting. Most of it was not so hot, but every once in a while you would strike gold, and for the way I listen to music it was perfect. You can get some of that now with things like Spotify but I miss the curated nature of these sites. You could get a feel for their creators tastes and see how they matched up with your own. I find things like Pandora ends up being a feedback loop, you get to a point where new music stops showing up, it just keeps playing the same songs you thumbed up over and over.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rarely.

I used to use Pandora, actually. That was pretty good for it. I should use it more.

@icil: That seems neat. I'll have to poke around there.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#96 sweep  Moderator

HypeMachine, SoundCloud, SongDrop, Plug.DJ, podcasts (the Hospital Records Podcast is amazing for DnB, Radio360 for mellow ambient stuff), some specific music blogs (mostly on twitter or tumblr) and internet radio stations like Last.fm.

If you're looking for "something that sounds a bit like this" then a site like Last.fm would work great, as it basically compiles playlists based off songs you already like. I use HypeMachine for most of my stuff, but the range of music you'll find that way is quite narrow. Lots of Hip Hop, Electro, Indie Rock and Ambient, but not much else. I'd recommend podcasts - the BBC does loads that'll get you started, and there are plenty more specific ones once you're ready to dig a little deeper.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#97  Edited By dichemstys

Last.fm for sure. Just bands people mention in the shoutboxes for bands I already like.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

PopMatters Big CD List and PopMatters High Priority List that gets sent out every two weeks for staff to pick out things to review.

Daily search for "2014" (insert whatever year currently applies) on what.cd and then scroll through each page until I hit stuff I remember seeing uploaded the day before.

The Okayplayer message boards.

Avatar image for rubberbabybuggybumpers
RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Youtube and word of mouth.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In AUS, we have a radio station called Triple J that every year does a Top 100 (as voted by the public), and every few years a Top 100 of the last 20 years. All of it is eh-ish, but its worth just to trawl through and see if anything interests you. Number 1 for 2013 sucked though.
http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/hottest100/13/countdown/